Demographics of the alt-right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:45:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Demographics of the alt-right
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Demographics of the alt-right  (Read 1542 times)
pondscum
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2019, 04:47:45 AM »

What demographic does the average alt-righter belong to?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »

Gen Z white male.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:00:27 PM »

Older.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 12:43:09 PM »

white male incels
James Monroe

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »

Middle-aged white males
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 05:59:44 PM »

I don't think this is accurate.

While middle-aged white men may often hold racist/reactionary views, they really aren't the ones coming out and marching to chant "Jews will not replace us".

I think the average alt-righter is a 15-25 year old white male, probably not college educated, and probably not making too much money - with most being single and a substantial number still living with their parents.
James Monroe

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 06:21:37 PM »

The youth is far more liberal than average, and more young white males tend to be Bernie Bros. A small minority might be alt-right but I think you see that number skyrocket when all the dads post dank memes on Facebook about Muslims and how Trump is the greatest president we've ever had.  Those youngnies are just neckbeard basement dwellers who don't make a substantial number in the political process.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 06:35:37 PM »

Young, secular, white, men for the most part.  Of course, the alt-right isn't the majority of young, secular, white, men, but that's where they mostly come from.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »

Actually, polls after Charlottesville consistently showed that the younger generations were the least approving of Trump’s response. They were also much more likely than older Americans to say the white auprenacists were solely to blame.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »

Rather similar to the demographic makeup of Ron Paul's fanbase if I had to guess. Young, white, male, middle class, single.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »

Actually, polls after Charlottesville consistently showed that the younger generations were the least approving of Trump’s response. They were also much more likely than older Americans to say the white auprenacists were solely to blame.

Older generations definitely have more racists in a broad sense in the US (largely because they're whiter overall) but "alt-right" is a specific political style that thrives in youth-driven online subcultures. Similarly, older minorities are more resistant to assimilation in general than younger ones, but the specific cultural appropriation-obsessed mindset you see on sites like Tumblr is obviously the province of the young.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 12:54:13 PM »

Deranged, easily impressionable white male incels, ages 15-30. Have a strong bent towards narcissism   and self-delusion.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »

Rather similar to the demographic makeup of Ron Paul's fanbase if I had to guess. Young, white, male, middle class, single.

Remember that guys who were in College when Paul was big are in their 30s now. Contrary to popular belief, the base of the Alt-Right is Gen-X Suburban Dads, not college and high school age kids.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 05:15:13 PM »

Majority of the actual population is old white male boomers, but the ones we see on the internet are young white male millennials.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 06:11:41 PM »

The youth is far more liberal than average, and more young white males tend to be Bernie Bros. A small minority might be alt-right but I think you see that number skyrocket when all the dads post dank memes on Facebook about Muslims and how Trump is the greatest president we've ever had.  Those youngnies are just neckbeard basement dwellers who don't make a substantial number in the political process.

This is true. You know I actually barely know any guys around my age who I can see as sympathetic to the alt-right, like you said there's a lot of Bernie Bros, libertarian/minarchist types, or just like, straight up evangelical conservatives, but I don't know anyone in my age group who I can see having sympathy to people walking around chanting "Jews will not replace us!" despite living in this rural hell.

Most of the people who you would think could have those sort of sympathies, at least around here, tend to be in the older demographic. Like 45+

I think this website as a whole tends to way overstate the appeal of the alt-right to young white men. Nearly all the young white men I know are either Bernie Bros or libertarian-esque.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 03:45:20 AM »

there are a lot of alt righters in Gen Z, they just aren't at the forefront since that Gen is just starting to go to college.  What parent takes their kid to Charlotsville? 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »

White male trolls of varying economic and generational backgrounds who are all extremely Online.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 06:53:25 AM »

Gen Z/Gen Y white men with a tendency towards introversion/social avoidance. Socio-economic status and education level varies. Large amount of time spent online.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies