Pete Buttigieg Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:56:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg Megathread  (Read 1673 times)
walleye26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »

I haven’t seen a Megathread here for Mayor Pete, and I think he deserves some discussion. He made an appearance on Fox News Sunday this morning, and he is still riding high from his CNN Town hall.
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »

He’s also gone viral three times this weekend, once because he can speak 8 languages - Dari, Arabic, Norwegian, Italian, Maltese, French, Spanish and English - conversationally! Once because of his message to the South Bend Muslim community after the Christchurch massacre. And once because he gave up the first class seat Fox booked him to Los Angeles to a stranger so he could sit with hus husband.

He made the DNC’s 65k donor threshold Saturday morning, has doubled his Twitter following since the CNN Town Hall, is starting to regularly poll at 1%, and his book is headed towards the top 10 overall list on Amazon’s best-seller list.

He really is the “dark horse” of this race, at least right now. He’s human, is running a values-based campaign, and is incredibly charismatic.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 12:40:15 PM »

His twitter following has more than doubled in about a week too. Pretty impressive rise so far from a guy who is not wealthy, well known, and an outsider.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 12:44:23 PM »

His twitter following has more than doubled in about a week too. Pretty impressive rise so far from a guy who is not wealthy, well known, and an outsider.

He's also qualified for the debates, which is a really good start. Definitely worth watching! I expect he could become a prominent contender down the road even though he has little chance of winning this time around.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 10:08:40 PM »

Pete does have good dark horse credentials ATM. I'd watch out for him.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 10:11:52 PM »

Lots of presidents started out against the odds, at 1% in the polls. Buttigieg could be another one!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 10:17:00 PM »

I’m very impressed with him. One of my top picks. Originally I was reluctant to support him fully because he’s gay but once I saw him in the town hall talk about his husband I was really identified with him and said “screw it” and jumped on the bandwagon.
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:05:47 AM »

I’m very impressed with him. One of my top picks. Originally I was reluctant to support him fully because he’s gay but once I saw him in the town hall talk about his husband I was really identified with him and said “screw it” and jumped on the bandwagon.

What about his gayness was problematic to you?
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 09:10:29 AM »

What about his gayness was problematic to you?

Because to a lot of people it is. Not everyone is the accepting and tolerant angel you are.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 09:19:43 AM »

Oh boy, here we go.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 09:25:13 AM »

He is positioning himself incredibly strongly - I would imagine it would be difficult for someone like Warren to ignore him for VP consideration.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 09:29:45 AM »

Y’all, I am a gay married man. I didn’t want a gay man to run because I was worried about the kind of smear campaign against Mayor Pete because he’s gay, and how it would affect other LGBT people, especially considering the small chance he has.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 11:07:49 AM »

I'm really impressed by him. I think he could very well come out of this with either a big job on the inevitable nominee's team/ the next administration. He's definitely proving himself to be the most talented young politician in the country
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »

Y’all, I am a gay married man. I didn’t want a gay man to run because I was worried about the kind of smear campaign against Mayor Pete because he’s gay, and how it would affect other LGBT people, especially considering the small chance he has.

Thank you for clarifying. I definitely understand and share your concerns.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »

Mayor Pete experiences 300% increase in support in latest poll!

#Buttmentum
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 07:38:36 PM »

He moved up on my list since his town hall. He's one of my top five candidates at this point.
SCNCmod

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 06:59:06 AM »

Pete just had a very impressive visit on Morning Joe.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 07:06:29 AM »

I think Pete is great. Hope a dem admin gives him a spot. Definitely may be President some day, although not this time. I do have a thought though, how would countries like Saudi Arabia treat a gay US president? Would this hurt our dealings with other conservative nations, even less extreme examples like Vietnam or Nigeria?
SCNCmod

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 07:24:15 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2019, 07:38:48 AM by SCNCmod »

I think Pete is great. Hope a dem admin gives him a spot. Definitely may be President some day, although not this time. I do have a thought though, how would countries like Saudi Arabia treat a gay US president? Would this hurt our dealings with other conservative nations, even less extreme examples like Vietnam or Nigeria?

I do wonder if being Gay would affect electability for President (despite overall approval for Marriage Equality, etc).  I think we are close to the point that the country could elect a gay Pres/VP... but unfortunately I don't think we are quite there. (although I would love to be proven wrong).

That said- The fact that other countries may have a problem with a gay president doesn't matter at all. After all- some countries have a problem with Women in power, yet we've had many female Secretaries of State & most major powers have had Female Presidents/ Prime Ministers. Also there have already been gay/lesbian Presidents of major countries.

Edit...(Actually via Wiki, the current Prime Ministers of Ireland, Serbia, and Luxembourg are Gay/Lesbian & recently in Belgium & Iceland).  The current Prime Minister of Ireland is actually a Gay Indian-Irish Man (1/2 Indian).
walleye26

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 06:54:40 PM »

Pete is starting to increase his poll numbers and has passed Yang in Facebook likes.
walleye26

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 05:50:03 PM »

Mayor Pete appeared on the View again today.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »

How would they react to a female President? Their problem not ours.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 06:34:01 PM »

Lots of presidents started out against the odds, at 1% in the polls. Buttigieg could be another one!

True as the day is long.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 06:36:18 PM »

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

I know you mean it well, but this is just beyond word silly...
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 06:39:43 PM »

I do wonder if being Gay would affect electability for President (despite overall approval for Marriage Equality, etc).  I think we are close to the point that the country could elect a gay Pres/VP... but unfortunately I don't think we are quite there. (although I would love to be proven wrong).

That said- The fact that other countries may have a problem with a gay president doesn't matter at all. After all- some countries have a problem with Women in power, yet we've had many female Secretaries of State & most major powers have had Female Presidents/ Prime Ministers. Also there have already been gay/lesbian Presidents of major countries.

Edit...(Actually via Wiki, the current Prime Ministers of Ireland, Serbia, and Luxembourg are Gay/Lesbian & recently in Belgium & Iceland).  The current Prime Minister of Ireland is actually a Gay Indian-Irish Man (1/2 Indian).

Agree 100% about everything. Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies