Terrorist attack in Utrecht (NL)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:39:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Terrorist attack in Utrecht (NL)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Terrorist attack in Utrecht (NL)  (Read 1136 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »

Good. My condolences to the people of Utrecht who are having to deal with this attack today.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »

Looks like a public honor killing to me from what I have read, based on Turkish media.

The perpetrator explicitly looked to kill a woman in the train and everyone helping her as she was down on the floor.

Probably his sister or ex-GF/wife, who abandoned him or had something with a non-Muslim.

These extremist people often go crazy if „their“ women become independent or make independent choices on their own ...
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 12:52:21 PM »

Looks like a public honor killing to me from what I have read, based on Turkish media.

Geez. Absolutely horrifying.

That would probably mean it's not actually in response to Christchurch, though, which I guess would be a relief.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 01:00:55 PM »

Geez. Absolutely horrifying.

That would probably mean it's not actually in response to Christchurch, though, which I guess would be a relief.

It could be both.

First, the honor killing against the woman for following western culture and not being devout enough any longer.

Then, the so-called overkill (a forensic term) by targeting the people who tried to help the woman, which would be terrorism.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »

Horrible news.
This world has gone mad.
Omega21

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 02:30:58 PM »

Does anyone have any information on whether the perpetrator was a citizen?

If not, I do not see a single reason why he was not deported after his first felony in 2013.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 08:00:57 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2019, 08:04:04 PM by DavidB. »

To summarize: it currently seems as if the following is the case.

Perpetrator is a criminal who keeps getting arrested for rather violent crimes and is clearly mentally unstable. Was addicted to alcohol and/or drugs for some years. At the same time, an undercurrent of disgust against the West fuels his thoughts. The viral video from 2011 is actually rather revealing in the sense that he explicitly calls this female journalist not only a slut, but also a democrat, in a derogatory way - contrasting it with belief in sharia. A devout Muslim he definitely wasn't, but he was a Muslim (even if non-observant) and rejected Dutch society and its values. In many cases it is not necessarily devout Muslims holding these views.

This rape court case took place two weeks ago and probably didn't go well. He had a vengeance towards his ex. Christchurch and quite possibly Erdogan's response to it made him feel like he was "on edge" and provided the final trigger. He went on this lightrail to shoot his ex, but, fuelled with anger towards Western "crusaders", didn't mind finishing off some Dutch people standing in his way and providing cover/first aid to his ex. The Allahu Akbar part which caused the authorities to believe it was a terror attack may very well be true, and so may the avoiding Moroccans part be.

Honour killing? Yes. Terror motive? Partly.

The story is going to be something along these lines.

I do feel as if authorities may have overreacted slightly, but on the other hand this is a genuinely ambiguous and difficult case to handle - worsened by the fact that it took them a while to catch the perpetrator.

The award of the day for disinformation goes to the head of the Moroccan mosque organization in the area, claiming on tv that there had been a shooting at his mosque - and then couldn't provide details with regard to the specific mosque. This is what caused many people to think it may have been a far-right shooter. But it was all bullsh**t.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 05:15:11 AM »

Ch 7 News in Perth just listed him as a convicted rapist.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 05:43:28 AM »

This keeps getting weirder. Public prosecutor now says there was no relationship between the perpetrator and his victims. The victims are a 19-year old woman from Vianen and two men, aged 28 and 49, from Utrecht. The three life-threateningly wounded people are a 20-year old woman from Utrecht, a 21-year old woman from Nieuwegein and a 74-year old man from De Meern. Public prosecutor reiterates that terrorist motive is likely. The perpetrator apparently left a note in the car that he carjacked that also indicates this.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2019, 08:58:53 AM »

Note in car reads that Tanis claimed to act "in Allah's name" and he "greets his Muslim brothers".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies