Who stayed home or voted for Gore because of Bush's DUI?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:07:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Who stayed home or voted for Gore because of Bush's DUI?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who stayed home or voted for Gore because of Bush's DUI?  (Read 511 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »

I read an article suggesting that evangelicals stayed home because of Bush's DUI. Is this true? Did other demographics also stay home or switch parties?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:00:25 PM »

If I remember correctly, I once read that on election night Bush and his whole group with him expected to lose, because of the DUI surprise that they believed would encourage evangelicals to stay home, and when the networks initially called Florida for Gore, Bush basically accepted that he had lost.

Of course, the fact that he ended up not losing, makes you wonder if there was even anything to that. I mean I'm sure there as at least one would-be evangelical Bush voter who did stay home over the DUI, but was it anything substantial? Probably not.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:10:06 AM »

If I remember correctly, I once read that on election night Bush and his whole group with him expected to lose, because of the DUI surprise that they believed would encourage evangelicals to stay home, and when the networks initially called Florida for Gore, Bush basically accepted that he had lost.

Of course, the fact that he ended up not losing, makes you wonder if there was even anything to that. I mean I'm sure there as at least one would-be evangelical Bush voter who did stay home over the DUI, but was it anything substantial? Probably not.
From when it first became clear that Bush was going to run until the DUI came out, it was thought that Bush would win the popular vote and would unambigiously win the Electoral College. The fact that this didn't happen led Rove to conclude that the DUI made a difference.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 01:18:53 AM »

From when it first became clear that Bush was going to run until the DUI came out, it was thought that Bush would win the popular vote and would unambigiously win the Electoral College. The fact that this didn't happen led Rove to conclude that the DUI made a difference.

Ohhh yeah true. There might have been a lot of them then. I do know one thing in 2000 was that like, people seemed to think it really didn't matter between Bush and Gore, you know. Like people thought they were similar or something I guess. In that case, I can see how a lot of evangelicals would be like, "Yeah I was going to go for Bush because he's more socially conservative than Gore, but this DUI thing makes me think he's a hypocrite so he's no better than Gore." I mean I get that line of thought there.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 01:33:51 AM »

Ohhh yeah true. There might have been a lot of them then. I do know one thing in 2000 was that like, people seemed to think it really didn't matter between Bush and Gore, you know. Like people thought they were similar or something I guess. In that case, I can see how a lot of evangelicals would be like, "Yeah I was going to go for Bush because he's more socially conservative than Gore, but this DUI thing makes me think he's a hypocrite so he's no better than Gore." I mean I get that line of thought there.
I think the "no real difference" narrative came from Bush's support for expanding Medicare and giving amensty to illegal immigrants and Gore being the husband of someone famous for advocating music censorship and having served in the military.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 05:46:06 AM »

Yeah I think he lost enough votes over that that it turned the election essentially into a tie. Had the DUI not come out, he would have won NM, OR and WI at least along with winning FL without any doubt and he would have won the PV.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies