A closer 1996
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:21:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A closer 1996
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A closer 1996  (Read 5830 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 05:40:30 PM »

Among the potential running mates for Bush mentioned above, I think James Baker would be the best one as he would provide large experience in the ticket as he was Secretary of Commerce, Secretary of the Treasury and Secretary of State. Bush’s short experience is exactly the reason why he selected Dick Cheney in real life.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:01 PM »

PISSED off Landrieu lost in this TL SMH.
BushKerry04

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 09:25:36 PM »

Among the potential running mates for Bush mentioned above, I think James Baker would be the best one as he would provide large experience in the ticket as he was Secretary of Commerce, Secretary of the Treasury and Secretary of State. Bush’s short experience is exactly the reason why he selected Dick Cheney in real life.

True, good points.

June 1, 2000 - Bush holds unity event with former GOP candidates, Republican leaders

ORLANDO, FL - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee George W. Bush held a Republican unity campaign rally in Orlando, Florida. Bush was joined by his brother, Governor of Florida Jeb Bush, Florida's Republican Congressional Delegation, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, and former GOP presidential hopefuls Phil Gramm, Elizabeth Dole, Bill Weld, Lamar Alexander, Gary Bauer, and Orin Hatch at the event. Bush called on Republicans across the country to support his campaign and encourage independents and Democrats to do the same. "Our message is one that is compassionate and conservative, it's a message that is hopeful and optimistic, and it's a message that says we have an agenda to broaden prosperity to every corner of this great land," Bush declared. Governor Jeb Bush of Florida spoke of his brother's character, stating that, "George W. Bush tells the truth when it's easy and when it is now. He sticks to his principles regardless of the politics. And George W. Bush always does the right thing." Phil Gramm, who placed 2nd in the GOP presidential primaries, spoke of the need to unite all Republicans. "Whether you voted for me, voted for Governor Bush, or voted for someone else in the primary, we have to come together to make sure George W. Bush is the next President of the United States. The choice in this election is simple. Al Gore believes in bigger government, George W. Bush believes in bigger economic growth through empowering free markets," Gramm stated.

June 20, 2000 - Bradley endorses Gore for President

MANCHESTER, NH - Former U.S. Senator and Democratic Presidential Hopeful Bill Bradley endorsed Vice President Al Gore as the presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee during a Gore campaign rally in Manchester, New Hampshire. "Al Gore is the one candidate in this race who shares the values I have stood for during my time in the United States Senate. Al Gore is the one candidate who believes in having a dialogue on issues like campaign finance reform, environmental protections, and changes to our health insurance system to help more Americans have access to affordable health care that my supporters and I spoke about during my campaign. So today, here in New Hampshire, I endorse Al Gore for President of the United States," Bradley declared. 

July 15, 2000 - Sources: Dole, Watts, and Baker most likely Bush running-mates

WASHINGTON, DC - Sources close to prominent Republicans told the Boston Globe that Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee George W. Bush is most likely to select Former U.S. Secretary of State James Baker, Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Elizabeth Dole, or Oklahoma Representative J.C. Watts as his running-mate. One source said that while some in Bush's inner-circle are lobbying for Baker due to his foreign policy credentials, the former Secretary of State is reluctant to accept the position. "Baker has told Governor Bush that he would do it if Bush's other choices don't pan out, but that he's enjoying private life," one source said. Two other sources said that while campaign aides are lobbying for Baker, some Bush allies, such as Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating and U.S. Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire, have suggested Bush select Oklahoma Representative J.C. Watts as his running-mate to bring someone who knows Washington D.C. without being seen as a political insider to the ticket. Bush himself seems to favor Dole for the position, one source said, as Bush respects how she ran her presidential campaign and believes she has a clear understanding of the issues and the right kind of experience to be Vice President.

July 30, 2000 - Gore selects Lieberman as running-mate

DOVER, NH - Vice President Al Gore, the presumptive Democratic nominee for President, announced at a campaign rally in Dover, New Hampshire that U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut would be his running-mate in the 2000 election. In selecting Lieberman, Gore has chosen a northeastern moderate who has been at odds with the Clinton administration more often than many of his fellow Democrats, though he generally voted with the administration. If elected, Lieberman would be the first Jewish American Vice President. "In Senator Joe Lieberman, I have selected a running-mate with a record of putting country before party, and a running-mate with the experience to help me lead," Gore said of his running-mate. "I share Al Gore's vision that the best way to ensure we continue the prosperity of the last eight years is by strengthening working families and investing in education, health care, and environmental protection. I've tried to do that in the United States Senate, and that's what I'll work for as Vice President," Lieberman declared. 
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 02:36:07 AM »

We are already on July 30, so I believe that normally Bush should have announced his running mate by then as the 2000 Republican National Convention took place from July 31 to August 3 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Republican_National_Convention
BushKerry04

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 06:10:01 PM »

We are already on July 30, so I believe that normally Bush should have announced his running mate by then as the 2000 Republican National Convention took place from July 31 to August 3 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Republican_National_Convention

Thank you. I guess I'm a few days off haha

August 1, 2000 - Dole to run with Bush

PHILADELPHIA, PA - Presumptive Republican Presidential Nominee George W. Bush announced that he has selected Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Elizabeth Dole as his running-mate in the 2000 presidential election. In choosing Dole, Bush has selected an experienced government leader and the first female to run on a national Republican ticket. "Elizabeth Dole is ready to lead America, she has the experience, values, and judgement to work with me on issues that are important to the American people," Bush said of his running-mate. "I believe as George W. Bush does that government should be limited, yet do the few things it does well. Together, George W. Bush and I will work to return money and power back to states and most importantly, the American people" Dole declared.

August 4, 2000 - Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Elizabeth Dole accepts Republican Vice Presidential Nomination

"On issue after issue, we've seen this administration sit idly by as Republicans and Democrats in Congress fail to find common ground. Leadership is about bringing people together, finding solutions, and making sure ideas become reality. Whether it be the achievement gap in education, the rising cost of prescription drugs for seniors, fiscal challenges associated with social security, a lack of tax relief for working families, or wasteful Washington spending and a large national debt, this administration has not delivered for everyday Americans. After eight years of absentee leadership, Americans have a choice to make in this election. Our education plan raises standards and embraces charter and choice. Vice President Gore has had eight years to reform education, he hasn't. Our plan reduces the cost of prescription drugs through greater competition. Vice President Gore has had eight years to reduce the cost of prescription drugs, he hasn't. Our plan provides historic tax relief while meeting our obligations to our seniors. Vice President Gore has had eight years to fix social security, he hasn't. We support a constitutional line-item veto and will oppose more expensive government. Vice President Gore has had eight years to end pork barrel spending in Congress, he hasn't. George W. Bush and I are ready to lead, we are ready to bring people together to get things done for all Americans" - Former U.S. Secretary of Labor Elizabeth Dole, Republican Vice Presidential Nominee

August 5, 2000 - Governor of Texas George W. Bush accepts Republican Presidential Nomination

"I am prepared to lead America because I've been a leader as Governor of Texas. Working with Republicans and Democrats, I was able to get positive things done for the people of my state. I believe that we need a leader from outside Washington D.C. to work hard to unite not only Congress, but all Americans behind an agenda that is hopeful and optimistic, and that's the agenda Elizabeth Dole and I propose. We believe that the surplus should be used to pay down debt, increase pay for those who wear the uniform of our country and increase funding for our schools, and ensure social security and medicare are preserved and protected. We also propose a tax cut for everyone because you deserve to keep more of what you earn. Our agenda increases competition to lower the cost of prescription drugs for seniors, raises standards and promotes charter and choice to improve our schools, and we will invest in expanding access to health care to our veterans. The fundamental choice in this election is one about two very different philosophies. My opponent supports higher taxes and more federal spending. He believes in bigger government, I believe in protecting the safety net we have today. He believes the surplus is his to spend, I believe it's yours to spend. He believes the solution to the cost of prescription drugs and education is more bureaucrats in Washington D.C., I believe in accountability and standards at the federal level, but that day-to-day decisions on these important issues should be made by local officials and individuals. This is a time for our country to unite, it's a time to work together to broaden prosperity to every corner of America, it's a time to strengthen our military, and it's a time to restore civility and high ethical standards in Washington D.C.  " - Governor of Texas George W. Bush, Republican Presidential Nominee   

August 17, 2000 - U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman accepts Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

"Fellow citizens, do not let Governor Bush fool you. Under President Clinton and Vice President Gore, America has seen the creation of 23 million new jobs, we've seen welfare rolls and the deficit decline as home ownership and access to affordable health care has been on the rise. We've invested in our military, education, and job training. And we've protected our enviornment and hired more police to make our communities stronger. The Bush tax cuts for the very wealthy would require either massive spending cuts, which would undermine programs like social security and medicare, or they'd require us to increase debt or taxes on working families. The Bush tax scheme is nothing more than a giveaway to large corporations. Al Gore and I believe that we can invest in education, health care, and the enviornment while strengthening social security and medicare, cutting taxes for working families, balancing the federal budget, and paying down the national debt. We know it because we've done it for eight years. Governor Bush said last week that we are running for President Clinton's third term, and you know he's right. We are proud of the many accomplishments of the Clinton era, and we want to continue to work with both Democrats and Republicans to see historic gains in economic growth while raising the standard of living for all Americans." - U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee 

August 18, 2000 - Vice President Al Gore accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"Governor Bush and I owe it to you to tell you who we are and what we stand for. So tonight, I ask all Americans to consider who I am, what I've done during the course of my career, and what I plan to do if so honored to earn your support in November. I come from a family that values public service and giving back to this greatest nation on earth. As a young man, I volunteered for military service and was proud to wear the uniform of our country. I later worked as a journalist where I uncovered corruption in local government. As a Congressman and United States Senator, I championed environmental protection and funding technological advancements. During my eight years as Vice President, I've worked with President Clinton and Congress on the economic agenda that has led to the longest period of sustained economic growth in history. I championed free trade to create jobs and strengthen our alliances. And I've stood up to make sure we invest in education and health care. My entire career has been about standing up for working families, protecting our enviornment, and defending our interests abroad. The question for all of us now is, at this moment when we have a stark contrast between my opponent and I, which path will America choose? My opponent wants to use the budget surplus to cut taxes for the very wealthy and the largest corporations in America. I want to use the budget surplus to pay down debt, cut taxes for working families, help seniors pay for their prescription drugs, transform our education system, and make sure social security and medicare is solvent for our generation and future generations. At this moment of great prosperity and even greater opportunity, let us not squander the surplus, but rather let's invest in those things that matter to our economy and our families" - Vice President Al Gore, Democratic Presidential Nominee

August 30, 2000 - Survey: Bush continues to lead narrowly nationally, as swing states remain up for grabs; Clinton approval rating at 52%

WASHINGTON, DC - A new Fox News poll finds that Republican presidential nominee George W. Bush leads Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore nationally as both candidates are virtually tied in a host of swing states. Nationally, 47% of voters say they'll support Bush, the Governor of Texas, while 45% say they'll back Gore, the Vice President. Bush also leads Gore in  Colorado (45%-44%), Florida (47%-44%), Missouri (49%-41%), and Iowa (46%-45%). Gore leads Bush in Tennessee (45%-44%), Pennsylvania (47%-44%), and New Mexico (48%-44%) as both candidates are tied in Ohio, New Hampshire, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Nevada. Additionally, the poll finds that President Bill Clinton enjoys a 52% approval rating, while 45% of Americans disapprove of the President's job performance.

September 5, 2000 - Weld, Gramm campaign for Bush/Dole ticket, talk future plans

CLEVELAND, OH - During a joint interview on Fox News, Former GOP Presidential Hopefuls U.S. Senators Bill Weld (R-MA) and Phil Gramm (R-TX) discussed the 2000 campaign and their future political plans. Gramm, who ran for President in 1996 and placed 2nd in the 2000 primaries, said he plans to travel across the country to rally the conservative base ahead of the November general election. Weld, who serves as the Bush/Dole campaign chair in Massachusetts, has scheduled events where he will campaign for the GOP ticket in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. When asked if they would consider serving in Bush's cabinet or running for President again, both men refused to rule out either possibility. "I have no plans to run for President again or to serve in George W. Bush's cabinet if he wins, but I can't rule out either possibility either," Weld declared. "I am focused on helping George W. Bush win this election, I'm not going to speculate about anything beyond November," Gramm said. When asked about their 2002 re-election plans, Weld said he would seek re-election while Gramm was non-committal. "I'm proud to have delivered for Massachusetts whether it be working on a bipartisan basis to expand access to health care or securing funding for infrastructure and higher education in the state, I plan on seeking re-election in 2002," Weld said. "I am only focused on 2000," Gramm stated when asked about his future plans.   
BushKerry04

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2019, 04:02:01 PM »

October 3, 2000 - Bush, Gore debate domestic issues in 1st presidential debate

BOSTON, MA - Republican presidential hopeful George W. Bush and Democratic presidential hopeful Al Gore debated domestic issues during the first of three presidential debates. The two candidates debated the state of the U.S. economy, their budget proposals, campaign finance reform, energy policy, and a host of other issues during the debate. Bush touted his tax and education reform plans as top priorities of his. "The fundamental difference between Vice President Gore and I is that I believe the surplus is the people's money, the Vice President believes it's money Washington bureaucrats should decide how it should be spent. I've proposed using the surplus to balance the budget and preserve social security, medicare, and medicaid while providing tax relief to everyone and funding education and strengthening the military," Bush declared. For his part, Gore defended the Clinton administration's economic policies, but also called for sweeping education and health care reforms. "President Clinton and I have invested in protecting our enviornment, making health insurance more accessible, and strengthening our communities while balancing the budget. If I'm elected President, I'm going to use the budget surplus to put social security in a lock box, increase funding for education including college pell grants, help seniors afford their prescription drugs, and pay down the national debt. Governor Bush uses the surplus for a tax cut for the very wealthy and large corporations," Gore said. Gore voiced support for campaign finance reform and opposition to offshore oil drilling, while Bush said that such campaign finance reform would only help the Democratic Party and that Gore's position on offshore drilling would increase energy costs, two points Gore disagreed with.

October 5, 2000 - Dole, Lieberman participate in Vice Presidential Debate

DANVILLE, KY - Republican Vice Presidential Nominee Elizabeth Dole and Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman debated issues and compared their respective experiences during the 2000 vice presidential debate. Dole emphasized the Bush tax and education reform proposals during much of the debate, as Lieberman focused on his foreign policy credentials. "Governor Bush and I believe that while we should use some of the budget surplus to meet priorities like debt reduction and funding social security, medicare, medicaid, education, and the military, we also believe that everyone deserves a tax cut, and I would add our tax plan will help us grow the economy," Dole said in response to a question about her governing philosophy. "I have been dealing with important foreign policy issues for over a decade, I've led on issues that are of importance to the United States and our allies, and I am prepared to serve as Vice President," Lieberman said when asked what he would bring to the Vice Presidency. The candidates also repeatably criticized each other's running-mates and each other, with Dole saying that Lieberman "caved to the left wing of the Democratic Party by endorsing Al Gore's big government programs despite claiming to be a moderate," while Lieberman argued that "George W. Bush and Elizabeth Dole have made it clear they'll support tax breaks for the very wealthy and barely mention funding for health care and environmental protections during campaign speeches."

October 7, 2000 - Clinton campaigns for wife, Vice President

ROCHESTER, NY - President Bill Clinton, who has raised money for both Vice President and Democratic Presidential Nominee Al Gore and First Lady and New York U.S. Senate candidate Hillary Clinton, has begun actively campaigning for his Vice President and wife a month before Americans head to the polls. Clinton will spend the next three days campaigning in New York for his wife before traveling to New Hampshire to campaign for Gore. Clinton will also campaign for Gore in home home state of Arkansas, Missouri, Colorado, Pennsylvania, and New Mexico between October 7, 2000 and election day. Clinton has touted economic growth during his terms as reasons to support Gore for President and Clinton for U.S. Senate from New York. In recent polls, Gore and opponent George W. Bush are virtually tied nationally, as Hillary Clinton leads New York Congressman Rick Lazio 48%-41% in a recent Fox News poll and 50%-38% in a WSJ/NBC survey.

October 10, 2000 - Keyes declines to endorse Bush during CNN interview

WASHINGTON, DC - During an interview on CNN, Former GOP Presidential Hopeful and Ambassador Alan Keyes declined to endorse Republican Presidential Nominee George W. Bush, making Keyes the only primary candidate not to endorse the nominee. Since the primary season, U.S. Senators Phil Gramm (R-TX) and Bill Weld (R-MA), who also ran in the primaries, have become two of Bush's strongest surrogates. "George W. Bush has not talked about the moral foundation of this country during his campaign, he's focused instead on an economic argument that isn't a winning message in my opinion. I do think Bush is a social conservative, but he has not made that central to his campaign at a time in which we need strong, moral leadership. So I am not going to be supporting him," Keyes said.
BushKerry04

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2019, 11:00:07 AM »

October 11, 2000 - Bush, Gore debate foreign policy issues during 2nd presidential debate

"There is too much division in our politics today, it's a time to unite. As Governor of Texas, I have a record of bringing people together to get positive things done for the people of my state. I can go to Washington D.C. and work with Republicans and Democrats to get positive things done for the American people. I know that together, we can cut taxes to let people keep more of what they earn and help this economy grow. I know we can preserve social security, medicare, and medicaid. And I know that we can strengthen the military, transform our schools, and lower the cost of prescription drugs for seniors. During the course of this campaign, I've traveled across the country and met with you in your homes, VFW halls, houses of worship, downtowns, businesses, farms, and factories. I know you are ready for change, and I'm ready to use my experience to pass the hopeful, optimistic agenda I've been talking about. I humbly ask for your vote on Tuesday, November 7th so we can work to broaden prosperity to every corner of this great nation" - Governor of Texas George W. Bush, Republican Presidential Nominee

"As a young man, I volunteered for military service and was proud to wear the uniform of our country. As a Congressman and United States Senator, I championed environmental protection and funding technological advancements. For eight years, I've worked with President Clinton and Congress on the economic agenda that has led to the longest period of sustained economic growth in history. We've seen the longest period of economic growth in history, balanced federal budgets, declines in welfare rolls, and record low inflation. Governor Bush wants to use the budget surplus to cut taxes for the very wealthy and the largest corporations in America. I want to use the budget surplus to pay down debt, cut taxes for working families, help seniors pay for their prescription drugs, improve our education system by paying teachers more, and make sure social security and medicare are solvent for our generation and future generations. I'm asking for your vote on November 7th so we can invest in those things that matter to our economy and our families" - Vice President Al Gore, Democratic Presidential Nominee

November 3, 2000 - Bush, Gore, Dole, and Lieberman begin three-day bus tours of swing states ahead of November 7th

WASHINGTON, DC - Ahead of the Tuesday, November 7th general election, Republican presidential nominee George W. Bush and Democratic presidential nominee Al Gore, as well as key supporters and their running-mates, started bus tours of important swing states. Bush, joined by Governor Tom Ridge (R-PA), will campaign in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan ahead of voting. GOP Vice Presidential Nominee Elizabeth Dole, joined by U.S. Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX) and her husband, Former U.S. Senate Majority Leader and 1996 Republican Presidential Nominee Bob Dole, will campaign in Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, and Colorado ahead of the election. Bush's brother, Governor of Florida Jeb Bush, will spend three days campaigning across Florida for the Bush/Dole ticket. On the Democratic side, Vice President Al Gore will campaign in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Missouri ahead of the election, he is joined by Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey and U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota. Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman will campaign in Florida and Georgia ahead of the election, U.S. Senator Bob Graham of Florida will accompany him on the campaign trail. President Bill Clinton, joined by House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt and U.S. Senator Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas, will campaign in New York, Tennessee, and Arkansas in the days before the election.

BushKerry04

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2019, 01:39:46 PM »

November 7, 2000 - Bush wins close race; GOP maintains control of Congress, U.S. Senate

Popular Vote
George W. Bush/Elizabeth Dole (R) 51%
Al Gore/Joe Lieberman (D) 48%

Electoral College
Bush 278
Gore 260

WASHINGTON, DC - Governor of Texas George W. Bush won the 2000 presidential election, defeating Vice President Al Gore by a 51%-48% margin in the popular vote, while winning 278 electoral votes. Bush, a Republican, won important swing states, including Ohio, Colorado, Florida, Missouri, New Hampshire, and Iowa. Republicans also maintained control of both houses of Congress. In the United States Senate, Democrats picked up three seats by winning Delaware, Minnesota, and Missouri. Republicans will have a 51-49 majority in the U.S. Senate and a 219-216 majority in the House of Representatives.

Exit Polls

By Ideology
Conservative - Bush 95% Gore 4%
Moderate - Bush 52% Gore 47%
Liberal - Gore 94% Bush 5%

By Political Party
Republican - Bush 97% Gore 2%
Democrat - Gore 95% Bush 4%
Independent - Bush 50% Gore 49%

By Race
White - Bush 59% Gore 40%
African-American - Gore 90% Bush 9%
Hispanic - Gore 56% Bush 43%
Asian - Gore 57% Bush 42%
Other - Gore 55% Bush 44%

By Gender
Male - Bush 56% Gore 43%
Female - Gore 52% Bush 47%

By Age
18-40 - Gore 53% Bush 46%
41-55 - Bush 50% Gore 49%
Over 55 - Bush 56% Gore 43%

By Income
Under $30,000 - Gore 65% Bush 34%
$30,000 - $75,000 - Bush 50% Gore 49%
$75,000 - $200,000 - Bush 60% Gore 39%
Over $200,000 - Bush 75% Gore 24%

By Education Level
No High School - Gore 52% Bush 47%
High School Diploma - Bush 51% Gore 48%
Some College - Bush 53% Gore 46%
College Graduate - Bush 53% Gore 46%
Postgraduate - Gore 57% Bush 42%

By Religion
Protestant - Bush 58% Gore 41%
Catholic - Bush 50% Gore 49%
Jewish - Gore 80% Bush 19%
Other - Gore 70% Bush 29%
None - Gore 82% Bush 17%

By Type of Community
Rural - Bush 67% Gore 32%
Suburban - Bush 52% Gore 47%
Urban - Gore 61% Bush 38%

Which candidate do you believe shares your values?
George W. Bush 55%
Al Gore 44%

Which candidate do you believe is the most honest?
George W. Bush 60%
Al Gore 39%

Which candidate do you believe is best qualified to serve as President?
Al Gore 70%
George W. Bush 29%

Bill Clinton Approval
Approve: 52%
Disapprove: 45%

Swing State Results
Ohio - Bush 52% Gore 47%
Pennsylvania - Gore 50% Bush 49%
Florida - Bush 51% Gore 48%
Colorado - Bush 54% Gore 45%
Tennessee - Bush 52% Gore 47%
Missouri - Bush 53% Gore 46%
New Hampshire - Bush 50% Gore 49%
Wisconsin - Gore 49.7% Bush 49.5%
Michigan - Gore 50% Bush 49%
Iowa - Bush 49.8% Gore 49.5%
New Mexico - Gore 50% Bush 49%
Nevada - Bush 52% Gore 47%

Candidate and running-mate home state results
Texas - Bush 62% Gore 37%
Tennessee - Bush 52% Gore 47%
North Carolina - Bush 58% Gore 41%
Connecticut - Gore 60% Bush 39%

LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2019, 01:55:37 PM »

I'm assuming the Dems won the FL US Senate contest with Nelson in this TL like he did in real life.

On the Governorships: no change from real life ?

As for Bush, Jr., I'm betting he still resigns from the Governorship on December 21st, 2000 on this TL.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2019, 12:19:04 AM »

YES! Bush wins and unlike in real life he won both the popular vote and Electoral College.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2019, 10:59:58 PM »

For when is the next update, just wondering?
BushKerry04

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2019, 08:52:41 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2019, 08:56:55 PM by BushKerry04 »

I'm assuming the Dems won the FL US Senate contest with Nelson in this TL like he did in real life.

On the Governorships: no change from real life ?

As for Bush, Jr., I'm betting he still resigns from the Governorship on December 21st, 2000 on this TL.

Correct!

For when is the next update, just wondering?

Here you go:

January 20, 2001 - George W. Bush sworn-in as President, Elizabeth Dole sworn-in as Vice President

MANCHESTER, NH - U.S. Senator and 2000 Democratic Vice Presidential Nominee Joe Lieberman (D-CT), Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley (D-NJ), Governor Howard Dean (D-VT), U.S. Senator Joe Biden (D-DE), and Former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL) spoke at a New Hampshire Democratic Party fundraiser, raising speculation that they would consider running for President in 2004. Lieberman and Biden both pledged to oppose tax cuts proposed by the Bush administration and Congressional Republicans, while calling for medicaid expansion and more funding for higher education. Bradley called for universal health insurance and sweeping campaign finance reforms, as he did during his 2000 presidential campaign. Dean and Moseley-Braun stayed away from specific policies and instead focused on philosophy.

June 5, 2001 - Bush signs tax cuts into law

WASHINGTON, DC - President George W. Bush signed into law the largest tax cut in a generation, a $1.2 trillion package that included across-the-board income tax reductions as well as doubling the per-child tax credit, an increase in the standard deduction, and a 15% across-the-board capital gains tax cut. All but 2 house and 1 senate Democrat opposed the legislation, while all but 10 house and 2 senate Republicans voted in favor of it.

June 15, 2001 - In first '04 poll, Lieberman enjoys a commanding lead; Bush has 55% approval rating

WASHINGTON, DC - A national poll of Democratic primary voters, conducted by CNN, finds that U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT), the party's 2000 vice presidential nominee, is the early favorite to secure the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. 25% of Democrats back Lieberman for President, well ahead of the 10% who back Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley (D-NJ), and 8% who back Former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun. U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle has the support of 5% of primary voters, while Governor of Vermont Howard Dean, U.S. Senator Joe Biden of Delaware, U.S. Senator Chris Dodd of Connecticut, U.S. Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana, and Rev. Al Sharpton are all tied at 3%. The same survey finds that amongst all Americans, 55% approve of President George W. Bush's job performance, while 38% disapprove.
BushKerry04

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »

September 14, 2001 - Bush declares war in Afghanistan

WASHINGTON, DC - President George W. Bush announced that U.S. military forces will be deployed to Afghanistan following a congressional authorization.

December 1, 2001 - Lieberman praises Bush on foreign policy, calls for economic stimulus

WASHINGTON, DC - During an interview on CNN, U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT) praised President George W. Bush on foreign policy, and called for economic stimulus in reaction to a slowdown in the U.S. economy. "I think the President has been decisive and has consulted the appropriate parties with regards to Afghanistan, and I support his decisions," Lieberman said. The Connecticut Democrat said the U.S. should invest in green energy and infrastructure to promote economic growth as a result of recent economic stagnation.

February 5, 2002 - Gramm won't seek re-election, says a 3rd presidential run is possible; Perry, Cornyn eye Senate Seat

WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. Senator Phil Gramm, who sought the 1996 and 2000 GOP presidential nominations and a leader of the Republican Party's conservative wing, announced that he will not seek re-election to the United States Senate in 2002. "Serving the people of Texas in the House and Senate has been an honor, and I am proud of all that we were able to accomplish, from cutting taxes to stopping government-run health care and reforming welfare. But I've decided not to seek re-election to the United States Senate in 2002 because frankly, after running two national campaigns and a campaign for the U.S. Senate, I am ready to spend more time with my family," Gramm declared. When asked by reporters about running for President again in 2008, Gramm said that he'd "consider the possibility in 2006". Governor of Texas Rick Perry and Former Texas Attorney General John Cornyn are considered potential candidates for U.S. Senate on the Republican side, while Mayor of Dallas Ron Kirk is the Democratic Party front-runner.

April 5, 2002 - Kerry announces U.S. Senate run in Massachusetts, Swift says she will seek re-election; Romney to run for Governor

BOSTON, MA - Former U.S. Senator John Kerry announced that he would once again run for the U.S. Senate in Massachusetts. Kerry spoke out against President George W. Bush's tax cuts and cut in EPA funding. Incumbent Republican U.S. Senator Jane Swift confirmed following Kerry's announcement that she will run for a full U.S. Senate term. Businessman Mitt Romney is expected to announce a run for Governor of Massachusetts, as incumbent Paul Cuccinnelli is not seeking re-election and is rumored to be under consideration for a job in the Bush administration. Swift had considered running for Governor, but Republican leaders in Massachusetts are backing Romney and urged Swift to run for U.S. Senate.   

May 5, 2002 - Gore won't seek 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination, praises potential candidates Lieberman and Moseley-Braun

MANCHESTER, NH - During a speech before New Hampshire Democrats, Former Vice President and 2000 Democratic Presidential Nominee Al Gore announced that he would not seek the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "Serving as Vice President and being your candidate for President in 2000 was truly an honor, and I appreciate all you did to support President Clinton and I so we could put in place policies that led to the longest period of economic growth in history. But now, it's time for fresh voices in the Democratic Party, and so I have decided that I won't be a candidate for President in 2004," Gore declared. Gore also praised both his 2000 running-mate, U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman (D-CT), and Former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun (D-IL). "Joe Lieberman is a friend, he is a talented leader with tremendous intellect and courage," Gore said of his former running-mate. "Carol Moseley-Braun is also an impressive potential candidate, she is a natural leader," he added.

June 1, 2002 - Bush signs medicare prescription drug benefit into law

WASHINGTON, DC - President George W. Bush signed into law legislation, passed with broad bipartisan support, that adds a prescription drug benefit plan as part of medicare to help more seniors afford their prescription medication.

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2019, 11:18:26 PM »

Keep it up. However, though we all know the reason why Bush sent troops in Afghanistan to combat terrorism, I think you forgot to mention 9/11.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2019, 12:37:47 AM »

Keep it up. However, though we all know the reason why Bush sent troops in Afghanistan to combat terrorism, I think you forgot to mention 9/11.

I am starting to think maybe it didn't happen in this timeline, or not yet at least
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2019, 06:40:55 AM »

I'm betting Perry does NOT run for the United States Senate seat in this TL.

He likes being Governor.
BushKerry04

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »

October 15, 2002 - Congress authorizes Bush to send U.S. military forces to Iraq

CLEVELAND, OH - Congressman Dennis Kucinich of Ohio, an outspoken critic of the Bush administration and leader in the Democratic Party's progressive wing, declared his intention to run for President in 2004. Pledging to support single-payer health care, a minimum wage indexed to inflation, a cap and trade program, and public financing for all federal elections, Kucinich made clear he is running a grassroots campaign. "Our campaign is not going to be funded by special interests, but rather our campaign is going to be funded and supported by the same ordinary Americans I will stand up for and have always stood with in Congress," Kucinich declared. While most early polling has Kucinich earning around 1% of the vote, some analysts say his message appeals to younger progressive voters.

February 25, 2003 - Sources: Dean, Clark to enter presidential race, Brown focused on local politics

WASHINGTON, DC - Multiple Democratic Party sources told CNN that Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean and Retired General Wesley Clark will announce presidential bids in the coming months. One source told the network that Dean will announce his candidacy during a speech in Burlington, Vermont sometime in May and that several alumni from his campaigns in Vermont, as well as Bill Bradley's 2000 and the Clinton/Gore 1996 campaigns will serve in official capacities within his campaign organization. Other sources told CNN that Clark will enter the presidential race sometime in May as well, and that Paul Begala will advise the candidate. Meanwhile, multiple sources told the network that Former Governor of California Jerry Brown, now the Mayor of Oakland, will focus on local politics and won't seek the presidency for a 4th time despite appearing at two New Hampshire Democratic Party fundraisers in recent months.

March 1, 2003 - Al Sharpton to seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

IOWA CITY, IA - At an Iowa Democratic Party fundraiser, Reverend Al Sharpton became the third Democrat to declare his candidacy for President in the 2004 election. Stating his focus would be on changing Washington, Sharpton called for criminal justice reform, investing in infrastructure, public financing of all federal elections, and repealing the Bush tax cuts to make social security more solvent. "I am not a Washington politician, but rather someone who is in touch with communities and knows how to bring people together to achieve results," Sharpton declared.

March 18, 2003 - Bush to send U.S. military forces into Iraq

WASHINGTON, DC - President George W. Bush announced that U.S. military forces will be deployed to Iraq months after Congress gave the President authority to do so.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2019, 03:41:32 PM »

Wondering what Bush, Jr's approval ratings are in this stage ? He's got to win by double digits in 2004.
BushKerry04

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2019, 09:44:35 PM »

Wondering what Bush, Jr's approval ratings are in this stage ? He's got to win by double digits in 2004.

The answer to this is coming up here:

April 5, 2003 - Wesley Clark announces presidential bid

DOVER, NH - Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey announced that he would once again seek the Democratic presidential nomination, making the case that Democrats should nominate a progressive with a record of results for President. Promising to fight for universal health care, public financing of all federal elections, simplifying the nation's tax code, and sweeping criminal justice reforms, Bradley said he believes he could build on momentum generated during his 2000 campaign. "The progressive moment is here, and we must embrace it and make the case to all Americans that the ideas and values we believe in are the right ideas and values. That's why I am a candidate for President of the United States," Bradley declared.

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2019, 10:30:19 PM »

If Bush faces Lieberman in 2004, I guess that it would lead a lot of progressive voters to stay home on Election Day or vote for a third-party candidate as Lieberman voted in favor of the Iraq War, like Kerry did in real life and flip-flopped on this issue.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2019, 11:59:20 PM »

This is an excellent timeline, looking forward to seeing it continue.
BushKerry04

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2019, 11:19:07 PM »

If Bush faces Lieberman in 2004, I guess that it would lead a lot of progressive voters to stay home on Election Day or vote for a third-party candidate as Lieberman voted in favor of the Iraq War, like Kerry did in real life and flip-flopped on this issue.

Interesting observation. Certainly possible.

This is an excellent timeline, looking forward to seeing it continue.

Thank you, much appreciated!

June 5, 2003 - Lieberman announces endorsements

STAMFORD, CT - Democratic Presidential Candidate Joe Lieberman announced that several former Clinton administration officials, U.S. Senators, members of Congress, and four Governors have endorsed his campaign for President. Additionally, Lieberman has earned the support of three unions. Those endorsing Lieberman for President include:

Former U.S. Secretary of Commerce Mickey Kantor
Former U.S. Secretary of HUD Henry Cisneros
Former Undersecretary of State Strobe Talbott
Governor of Maine John Baldacci
Governor of Pennsylvania Ed Rendell
Governor of Wisconsin Jim Doyle
Governor of Arizona Janet Napolitano   
U.S. Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT)
U.S. Senator Evan Bayh (D-IN)
U.S. Senator Herb Kohl (D-WI)
U.S. Senator Carl Levin (D-MI)
U.S. Senator Jack Reed (D-RI)
U.S. Senator Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)
U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
U.S. Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA)
The entire Democratic Congressional Delegations of Connecticut, Arizona, Missouri, and Indiana
CWA Organization
UA Organization
UFCW

June 15, 2003 - Howard Dean to seek 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination

BURLINGTON, VT - Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean announced his candidacy for President of the United States, pledging to reverse the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy to cancel some student debt, increase funding for higher education, invest in infrastructure and access to broadband, and expand medicaid. A center-left Democrat, Dean promised to run a grassroots campaign and touted his record on education and health care in Vermont. "I am running for President because I think it's time for someone from outside of Washington D.C. to get to work on the issues we Democrats care about, but that too many Democrats in Washington are afraid to take a stand on," Dean declared.

July 17, 2003 - Lieberman leads Democratic field in fundraising, Bush raises $32 million in Q2

WASHINGTON, DC - In the second quarter of 2003, Democratic Presidential Hopeful Joe Lieberman led the field of Democrats in terms of fundraising as President George W. Bush raised $32 million towards his re-election campaign. Lieberman raised $9 million, ahead of Bill Bradley's $7.5 million, Wesley Clark's $5.2 million, and Howard Dean's $5 million. Bob Kerrey had a disappointing fundraising quarter, having only raised $950,000. Dennis Kucinich and Al Sharpton raised $95,000 and $50,000, respectively. While most of Lieberman's contributions came from Democratic Party establishment circles in Washington D.C., both Bradley and Dean raised money primarily from individual contributions. Wesley Clark raised a lot from individuals, but also from the Democratic Party's establishment in the early voting states of New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, and Arkansas.

July 20, 2003 - Bob Graham won't seek Democratic Presidential Nomination

WASHINGTON, DC - U.S. Senator Bob Graham announced that he will not seek the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "I don't believe that I can win the Democratic nomination for President when three of the candidates have very similar views to mine," Graham told CBS news during an interview.

August 1, 2003 - Survey: Dean surges, Kerrey's numbers go down in Democratic primary, Clark still most electable

National Democratic Presidential Nomination
Joe Lieberman 23%
Howard Dean 17%
Bill Bradley 10%
Wesley Clark 10%
Carol Moseley-Braun 5%
Bob Kerrey 3%
Al Sharpton 2%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

Iowa Democratic Caucuses
Joe Lieberman 22%
Howard Dean 18%
Bill Bradley 12%
Wesley Clark 7%
Carol Moseley-Braun 3%
Al Sharpton 1%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

New Hampshire Democratic Primary
Joe Lieberman 23%
Howard Dean 20%
Bill Bradley 15%
Wesley Clark 10%
Carol Moseley-Braun 3%
Bob Kerrey 2%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Al Sharpton 1%

South Carolina Democratic Primary
Joe Lieberman 18%
Wesley Clark 17%
Howard Dean 15%
Bill Bradley 12%
Bob Kerrey 7%
Carol Moseley-Braun 5%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Al Sharpton 1%

Hypothetical General Election Match-Ups
George W. Bush (R) 47% Joe Lieberman (D) 45%
George W. Bush (R) 48% Bob Kerrey (D) 41%
George W. Bush (R) 46% Bill Bradley (D) 42%
Wesley Clark (D) 49% George W. Bush (R) 45%
George W. Bush (R) 48% Howard Dean (D) 42%
George W. Bush (R) 46% Carol Moseley-Braun (D) 45%

Bush Approval Rating
Approve 54%
Disapprove 43%
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2019, 02:00:35 AM »

Hmmm. It seems that Lieberman could have a more difficult primary season than expected as it is close in all early states and also due to Lieberman's support to the Iraq War.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2019, 06:59:04 AM »
« Edited: May 16, 2019, 02:59:18 PM by LoneStarDem »

I'm assuming the following Dems won in this TL on Governorships

1.) Brad Henry (D) of OK

2.) Jennifer Granholm (D) of MI

3.) Kathleen Sebelius (D) of KS

4.) Dave Freudenthal (D) of WY

5.) Bill Richardson (D) of NM

6.) Phil Bredesen (D) of TN

7.) Rod Blagojevich (D) of IL
BushKerry04

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2019, 10:51:20 PM »

I'm assuming the following Dems won in this TL on Governorships

1.) Brad Henry (D) of OK

2.) Jennifer Granholm (D) of MI

3.) Kathleen Sebelius (D) of KS

4.) Dave Freudenthal (D) of WY

5.) Bill Richardson (D) of NM

6.) Phil Bredesen (D) of TN

7.) Rod Blagojevich (D) of IL

Tbh I haven't given that much thought.....

August 15, 2003 - Clark lays out specific policy proposals during speech in New Hampshire

MANCHESTER, NH - During a speech before the Manchester, New Hampshire Chamber of Commerce, Democratic Presidential Hopeful Retired General Wesley Clark put forth a series of specific policy proposals. On foreign policy, Clark called for additional U.S. military forces to be deployed to Afghanistan and said the international community should be asked to be more involved in Iraq. Clark criticized the Bush administration for "ignoring allies." He also called for renewed focus on international economic development and combating the climate crisis. On domestic policy, Clark said he would repeal the Bush tax cuts for those earning above $250,000 per year to pay for increased funding for public education to help states and local governments hire more teachers to ensure smaller class sizes, help subsidize health insurance for lower income Americans through a combination of subsidizing private insurance and expanding medicaid, and investing $700 billion over a decade in infrastructure improvements and economic development grants in urban and rural communities. Clark also called for raising the federal minimum wage, making paid medical leave universal, and supporting new tax credits for alternative sources of energy.

August 30, 2003 - Moseley-Braun enters race for President

WASHINGTON, DC - Calling for a new long-term strategy in Iraq, requiring employers to provide their employees with health insurance, a repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell, and rolling back the Bush tax cuts to reduce the national debt, Former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun told CNN that she is a candidate for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. "I want to run for President because I want to protect the American dream for everyone and ensure that our country is respected in the world," Moseley-Braun declared. A center-left Democrat, Moseley-Braun said she decided to run for President to bring diversity and experience to the Democratic primary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies