A closer 1996
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:13:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A closer 1996
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: A closer 1996  (Read 5932 times)
BushKerry04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2019, 04:22:05 PM »
« edited: June 02, 2019, 10:11:41 AM by Both Sides™ »

October 1, 2003 - Democratic presidential candidates debate

Moderator: General Clark, Senator Lieberman, and Senator Kerrey. Each of you has made electability central to your argument during this campaign. But survey after survey has shown that the base of your party is more concerned with nominating a candidate who shares their values. Are you out of touch with progressives?

“It’s no secret that survey after survey has shown that I am the strongest general election candidate. Grassroots Democrats recruited me to run for President because I hold progressive values and have the ability to reach out to independents and Republicans as a political outsider who has a proven record of leadership and detailed plans to address the concerns of ordinary Americans. I can debate George W. Bush on foreign policy with credibility, I know how to build alliances and do the things necessary to promote and protect our interests. I also have a domestic agenda focused on greater opportunity and equality both in terms of economics and social policy. I believe that we can invest in small business job creation in areas that have seen stagnant growth this year, make our country independent of foreign sources of energy while combating the climate crisis, repeal and replace No Child Left Behind with a plan focused on hiring more teachers, expand access to health insurance through a combination of medicaid expansion and private insurance vouchers, raise the minimum wage, and make paid medical leave universal all while reducing the deficit and preserving tax relief for middle and lower income Americans. We can pay for this by repealing the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy and closing corporate tax loopholes. I know that Americans are ready to do great things, and I’d be honored to lead the way” - Wesley Clark

"Nebraska is not exactly a bastion of progressive values, yet the people of my state have elected me multiple times because I am more interested in getting things done than engaging in the kinds of partisan squabbles that this administration has engaged in. People in my state know that on issues like trade, health care, the minimum wage, and education, I have stood and always will stand with working families. I think we need to level the playing field on trade, we have to enforce all provisions of free trade agreements that are on the books before we enter into new ones. I believe that health care access should be expanded and that every American should have the option to buy into the federal healthcare system enjoyed by members of Congress. The minimum wage should be indexed to inflation, and we should set a goal of doubling the number of pell grants for higher education and create a pell grant program for vocational school as well because in a global economy, we need to make sure our workers have an advantage when it comes to skills. I also believe that we should strive to conclude our mission in Iraq as soon as possible, I agree with General Clark that we need to engage our allies and rebuild the alliances George W. Bush has weakened" - Bob Kerrey

“Electability is central to my campaign because we Democrats need a candidate who can win the election of 2004 and get things done on jobs, environmental protection, standing up for workers, and making sure we are a leader in world affairs. I’m running for President on my record as someone who has stood up for civil rights, took on environmental polluters as a state Attorney General, and as a U.S. Senator who has been a leader on the environment, protecting workers, and on issues relating to foreign affairs. The question for Democrats in this primary is what kind of Democratic Party will we be? My vision for our party and our country is one that embraces the kinds of policies Bill Clinton has always supported, policies that invest in those things that strengthen our middle-class and working families  while paying for everything we do. That’s why I want to replace tax breaks for the top 2% to pay for an across-the-board income tax cut for 98% of taxpayers and reducing the deficit and national debt while also investing in education and health care. By contrast, Governor Dean and others have proposed policies they don’t explain how they’ll pay for, and Governor Dean has said he will increase taxes on middle and lower income Americans. We Democrats need to hold progressive values, but also be fiscally responsible” - Joe Lieberman

Moderator:Governor Dean and Senator Bradley, both of you have strong support amongst the Democratic Party's progressive base and you have both said you are the true progressives in this primary. Can you also appeal to independents and Republicans as necessary to win the general election?

"During my years in the United States Senate, I stayed true to my progressive principles but also focused less on the politics of the moment and more on finding solutions and working with others, regardless of political affiliation, to achieve those solutions. I was proud to have played a role in the effort to reform the tax code to make it fair while closing loopholes for the largest corporations that added to the deficit. I disagreed with President Bush's tax cuts not only because they primarily favored the wealthy and added to the deficit, but because I think to do really important things you need input from members of both political parties. So when I talk about criminal justice reform, environmental justice, tax reform, getting money out of our politics, and expanding access to health care and education, I have my progressive principles but am willing to work with anyone to find solutions. Pandering for the purpose of winning an election is not something I've done or will do in this campaign, but here is why Democrats can be confident I can win the general election. I have a bipartisan record that I will proudly run on in the fall, and I would add that progressives know my record and are supporting my campaign" - Bill Bradley

"I am the only candidate on this stage who has ever run a state, and in Vermont I did do the things others here talk about. I expanded health care coverage, worked to improve our schools, raised the minimum wage, cut taxes for working families, and balanced the budget. Joe Lieberman and George Bush agree on foreign policy, they agree with keeping fiscally irresponsible tax cuts in place, and they agree on No Child Left Behind. I don't believe that the way to win in 2004 is to agree with George Bush, I think the way to win in 2004 is to offer the American people a clear alternative to the Bush agenda, aspects of which Joe Lieberman has championed in the United States Senate. The agenda I offer includes repealing the Bush tax cuts to provide health insurance to those who don't have it today, end No Child Left Behind and instead increase funding for public schools in a way that truly raises standards instead of relying on just standardized testing, expand access to a higher education, and provide grants for rural communities to invest in infrastructure and downtown revitalization. I also believe in balancing the budget, and my plan gets us there by 2010 as opposed to George Bush who supports more deficits and debt" - Howard Dean

Moderator: Senator Moseley-Braun, Congressman Kucinich, and Reverend Sharpton. An average of the last five polls shows each of you registering at less than 3% of the Democratic primary vote. What can you say here tonight that you think will convince Democratic primary voters to support your candidacy?

"There are a lot of issues where I agree with the leading candidates for President. I agree with General Clark and Senator Kerrey on matters of foreign policy, both of them have served our nation with honor and distinction. I agree with Senator Lieberman on the need to balance the federal budget and be a party of fiscal responsibility. I also applaud Governor Dean for his work on health care in Vermont, and I thank Senator Bradley and Reverend Sharpton for talking about criminal justice reform during this campaign. Congressman Kucinich and I are on the same page when it comes to environmental policy. My message is one of ideas, it is not a message that is meant to criticize any of the other loyal Democrats on this stage. People can look at my ideas and judge for themselves whether or not to support me. I am also not worried about polls, I am traveling across Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and other states speaking with voters one on one, hearing their concerns, and discussing solutions. I am confident that between hearing my life story, message, and vision people will consider me in the primaries" - Carol Moseley-Braun

"I am the only candidate for President who has said that because I believe health insurance is a right, I will support single-payer health care for all Americans. I'm the only one who has been consistently outspoken on trade agreements like NAFTA that have sent American manufacturing jobs overseas. And I am the only candidate who supports an international minimum wage and higher fuel efficiency standards in our automobiles. When I listen to some of the comments by my friends up here, I keep thinking that they believe we should be the Democratic Party of 1992, not the Democratic Party of 2004. I respect President Clinton, but let's be honest. When you focus more on dollars and cents and less on equality and rights, you don't win elections. We won in 1992 and 1996, but look at the results in 1994, 1998, and 2000 when Joe Lieberman was on the ticket. We lost because we forgot who were were and what we stand for and instead focused too much on sounding more like Newt Gingrich. We are doing it again in this campaign when there are more promises about reducing the debt and less about providing health insurance to every American as I promise to do" - Dennis Kucinich  

"Let me start off my saying that I am not concerned about polls when we are months away from Iowa and New Hampshire, so that’s not my focus. What is my focus is getting my message out, and my message is one of inclusion and of recognizing that while leaders set the tone of the national dialogue and can help on specific policies, change starts at the grassroots level. My experience has been at the grassroots level on issues like civil rights and worker’s rights. I want to use my experience to make sure that we have the right priorities in Washington D.C. George Bush’s priorities have been a foreign policy where we, as General Clark said, ignore our allies and domestic policies that focus on helping Wall Street, not Main Street or working families. So my goal in this campaign, and my priorities if elected President, will be bringing people together at the grassroots level on issues like making social security solvent, improving infrastructure, and criminal justice reform” - Al Sharpton

October 5, 2003 - Survey: Following strong debate performance, Clark surges as Lieberman's numbers decline and Moseley-Braun moves up; Clark strongest general election candidate

National Democratic Presidential Nomination
Wesley Clark 21%
Howard Dean 17%
Joe Lieberman 14%
Bill Bradley 12%
Carol Moseley-Braun 8%
Bob Kerrey 2%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Al Sharpton 1%

Iowa Democratic Caucuses
Wesley Clark 18%
Joe Lieberman 18%
Howard Dean 15%
Bill Bradley 14%
Carol Moseley-Braun 6%
Bob Kerrey 3%
Dennis Kucinich 2%
Al Sharpton 1%

New Hampshire Democratic Primary
Joe Lieberman 19%
Wesley Clark 15%
Bill Bradley 15%
Howard Dean 14%
Carol Moseley-Braun 7%
Bob Kerrey 2%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Al Sharpton 1%

South Carolina Democratic Primary
Wesley Clark 27%
Joe Lieberman 15%
Howard Dean 12%
Bill Bradley 10%
Carol Moseley-Braun 8%
Bob Kerrey 5%
Al Sharpton 2%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

Hypothetical General Election Match-Ups
George W. Bush (R) 48% Joe Lieberman (D) 45%
George W. Bush (R) 48% Bob Kerrey (D) 41%
George W. Bush (R) 47% Bill Bradley (D) 42%
Wesley Clark (D) 50% George W. Bush (R) 45%
George W. Bush (R) 48% Howard Dean (D) 41%
George W. Bush (R) 46% Carol Moseley-Braun (D) 44%

Bush Approval Rating
Approve 56%
Disapprove 42%

October 20, 2003 - Bradley puts forth tax reform, campaign finance reform proposals; calls for end to negative campaigning

DOVER, NH - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Bill Bradley put forth detailed tax reform and campaign finance reform proposals during a town hall meeting in New Hampshire. Bradley's tax plan calls for replacing six income tax brackets with four; an 8% rate on incomes below $75,000 per year, a 14% rate on incomes between $75,000 and $250,000, a 28% bracket on incomes between $250,000 and $1 million, and a 45% rate on incomes of $1 million and above. Bradley also called for increasing the standard deduction by 30%, capping the SALT deduction at $18,000, capping the mortgage interest deduction at $24,000, creating a flat capital gains tax rate of 20%, and closing all corporate tax loopholes. On campaign finance reform, Bradley called for disclosure of PAC contributions and a limit on matching fund amounts. The candidate also called for all Democratic candidates to stop negative campaigning.

October 25, 2003 - Bill Clinton endorses Wesley Clark for President

MARION, SC - Former President of the United States Bill Clinton endorsed Democratic Presidential Hopeful Wesley Clark for the 2004 Democratic nomination for President at a Clark campaign event in Marion, South Carolina. "I am supporting Wesley Clark for President because General Clark has demonstrated time and time again that he is a leader, a patriot, and an individual who knows how to bring people together to accomplish important goals," Clinton said of Clark.

LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2019, 04:22:57 PM »

Interesting to see if Clark gets the nomination.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2019, 11:02:15 PM by UWS »

I guess that the Bush campaign will now focus most of its attacks against Wesley Clark through early negative advertising on Clark in order to stop him from winning the nomination.

By the way, I just learned that Clark voted for Ronald Reagan, which might hurt him in the Democratic primaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Clark#2004_presidential_campaign
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2019, 06:45:15 AM »

Bush, Jr., taking a page out of the Gray Davis playbook: attacking your possible GE opponent in the other political party's primary.

BushKerry04

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2019, 11:11:37 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2019, 05:41:21 PM by Both Sides™ »

I guess that the Bush campaign will now focus most of its attacks against Wesley Clark through early negative advertising on Clark in order to stop him from winning the nomination.

By the way, I just learned that Clark voted for Ronald Reagan, which might hurt him in the Democratic primaries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Clark#2004_presidential_campaign

Interesting to see if Clark gets the nomination.

Bush, Jr., taking a page out of the Gray Davis playbook: attacking your possible GE opponent in the other political party's primary.

Thank you all for the feedback! Certainly things to consider.......

December 1, 2003 - Lieberman won't compete in Iowa, Clark will

IOWA CITY, IA - Following weeks of declining polling and fundraising numbers, Democratic Presidential Candidate Joe Lieberman's campaign announced that the Connecticut Senator would close his two campaign offices in Iowa and would instead focus on New Hampshire's primary. Most pundits agree that Lieberman's appeal to independents and moderates make him a stronger candidate in New Hampshire's primary than Iowa's caucuses. Fellow candidate Wesley Clark, who has focused heavily on New Hampshire and South Carolina, announced his campaign will open an office in Iowa.

January 2, 2004 - Clark, Bradley led fundraising in Q4 of '03; Bush raised $48 million

WASHINGTON, DC - Democratic Presidential Candidates and President George W. Bush raised and have the following amounts of cash on hand as of the fourth fundraising quarter of 2003:

George W. Bush: Raised $48 million, has $39 million cash-on-hand
Wesley Clark: Raised $15.5 million, has $8.2 million cash-on-hand
Bill Bradley: Raised $15.5 million, has $12 million cash-on-hand
Howard Dean: Raised $10 million, has $4 million cash-on-hand
Joe Lieberman: Raised $8 million, has $6.5 million cash-on-hand
Carol Moseley-Braun: Raised $5 million, has $3 million cash-on-hand
Bob Kerrey: Raised $1 million, has $300,000 cash-on-hand
Al Sharpton: Raised $500,000, has $75,000 cash-on-hand
Dennis Kucinich: Raised $350,000, has $15,000 cash-on-hand

January 15, 2004 - Survey: Democratic field open nationally, in Iowa and New Hampshire as Clark leads in South Carolina; Bush approval at 55%

Wesley Clark 17%
Bill Bradley 15%
Howard Dean 14%
Joe Lieberman 10%
Carol Moseley-Braun 8%
Bob Kerrey 2%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Al Sharpton 1%

Iowa Democratic Caucuses
Wesley Clark 15%
Howard Dean 15%
Bill Bradley 15%
Carol Moseley-Braun 10%
Joe Lieberman 9%
Bob Kerrey 3%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Al Sharpton 1%

New Hampshire Democratic Primary
Joe Lieberman 15%
Wesley Clark 14%
Bill Bradley 14%
Howard Dean 12%
Carol Moseley-Braun 8%
Bob Kerrey 3%
Dennis Kucinich 1%
Al Sharpton 1%

Wesley Clark 30%
Bill Bradley 12%
Howard Dean 10%
Carol Moseley-Braun 10%
Joe Lieberman 8%
Bob Kerrey 4%
Al Sharpton 2%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

George W. Bush (R) 47% Joe Lieberman (D) 45%
George W. Bush (R) 47% Bob Kerrey (D) 43%
George W. Bush (R) 47% Bill Bradley (D) 44%
Wesley Clark (D) 51% George W. Bush (R) 42%
George W. Bush (R) 48% Howard Dean (D) 42%
George W. Bush (R) 45% Carol Moseley-Braun (D) 44%

Bush Approval Rating
Approve 55%
Disapprove 40%

January 17, 2004 - Gore endorses Bradley for President
[img width=760

IOWA CITY, IA - Former Vice President Al Gore endorsed Democratic Presidential Hopeful Bill Bradley for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination during an event in Iowa, two days before Democrats caucus. Gore and Bradley, opponents in the 2000 Democratic presidential primaries, announced the endorsement at a press conference. "I am supporting Bill Bradley for President because of his detailed proposals on a host of issues from campaign finance reform to tax reform and protecting the enviornment. He has my endorsement and support," Gore said.

Moderator's note: Copyrighted images removed, again.
BushKerry04

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2019, 10:33:14 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2019, 05:40:08 PM by Both Sides™ »

January 19, 2004 - Bradley wins Iowa caucuses in close race, Kerrey suspends presidential campaign

IOWA CITY, IA - Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley won a close four-way race in Iowa's Democratic Presidential Caucuses. Bradley secured 22.5% of the vote, ahead of Retired General Wesley Clark who won 22.2%, Former Governor of Vermont Howard Dean who won 20%, and Former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun, who secured 18% of votes cast. Exit polling shows a divided Democratic Party; while younger, progressive voters are divided between Bradley and Dean, older and more moderate voters favor Clark and Moseley-Braun. After placing 6th with just 1.2% of the vote, Former U.S. Senator Bob Kerrey of Nebraska suspended his presidential campaign.

January 27, 2004 - Wesley Clark wins New Hampshire Primary

MANCHESTER, NH - Retired General Wesley Clark won New Hampshire's Democratic Presidential Primary, garnering 30% of the vote. Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, who won New Hampshire in 2000, placed 2nd with 23% of the vote as Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean and Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman each secured 19% and 15% of the vote, respectively. New Hampshire's older and more moderate voters support Clark, while younger and more progressive voters back Bradley and Dean, according to exit polling. While 40% of independents back Joe Lieberman for President, 38% back Clark, according to exit polling. Clark performs best in rural communities, while suburban communities support both Clark and Bradley, according to the same exit polling.

February 1, 2004 - Carol Moseley-Braun exits presidential race, endorses Bill Bradley for President

ST. LOUIS, MO - After finishing 4th in Iowa and 5th in New Hampshire, Former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun announced that she is ending her campaign for President and will support Bill Bradley for the Democratic nomination for President. "Senator Bill Bradley has been a tireless champion for causes others have been afraid to advance. He's courageous, smart, and a true leader who I am proud to endorse for President," Moseley-Braun said of Bradley during a press conference in St. Louis, Missouri days before Missouri's Democratic Presidential Primary.

February 2, 2004 - Survey: Bradley, Clark surge ahead as Lieberman is in single-digits

Wesley Clark 32%
Bill Bradley 32%
Howard Dean 18%
Joe Lieberman 7%
Al Sharpton 1%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

Wesley Clark 45%
Bill Bradley 20%
Howard Dean 15%
Joe Lieberman 8%
Al Sharpton 1%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

Missouri Democratic Primary
Bill Bradley 33%
Wesley Clark 30%
Howard Dean 15%
Joe Lieberman 7%
Al Sharpton 2%
Dennis Kucinich 1%

George W. Bush (R) 50% Joe Lieberman (D) 45%
George W. Bush (R) 47% Bill Bradley (D) 45%
Wesley Clark (D) 50% George W. Bush (R) 42%
George W. Bush (R) 47% Howard Dean (D) 43%

Bush Approval Rating
Approve 51%
Disapprove 45%
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2019, 01:20:49 AM »

South Carolina and Missouri are among the states voting on Mini Tuesday along with Arizona, Delaware, New Mexico, North Dakota and Oklahoma.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2019, 08:09:29 AM »

TL getting juicier by the day.
BushKerry04

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2019, 03:39:20 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2019, 05:42:27 PM by Both Sides™ »

Thank you all for the feedback!

February 3, 2004 - Mini-Tuesday 2004: Bradley, Clark win contests; Sharpton exits presidential race, endorses Bradley for President

Arizona: Clark 40% Bradley 35% Dean 10% Lieberman 8% Sharpton 4% Kucinich 1%  
Missouri: Bradley 40% Clark 30% Dean 20% Lieberman 7% Sharpton 1% Kucinich 1%
South Carolina: Clark 50% Dean 20% Bradley 15% Lieberman 10% Sharpton 3% Kucinich 1%
Delaware: Bradley 49% Clark 20% Dean 19% Lieberman 8% Sharpton 1% Kucinich 1%
New Mexico: Bradley 37% Clark 33% Dean 18% Lieberman 8% Sharpton 2% Kucinich 1%
North Dakota: Bradley 38% Clark 30% Dean 20% Lieberman 9% Sharpton 1% Kucinich 1%
Oklahoma: Clark 42% Bradley 30% Dean 18% Lieberman 7% Sharpton 1% Kucinich 1%

February 5, 2004 - Joe Lieberman suspends presidential campaign, endorses Wesley Clark for President

STAMFORD, CT - U.S. Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut announced that he is suspending his campaign for the 2004 Democratic Presidential Nomination. Lieberman also endorsed Retired General Wesley Clark for President, saying that "Wesley Clark can unite the Democratic Party and all Americans behind a common sense progressive agenda."
BushKerry04

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2019, 09:51:59 PM »

Going to be interesting if the DNC has a contested convention.

Thank you for the feedback!

Editors Note: I apologize for the lack of images, I am adhering to the request made by moderators to temporarily refrain from using images.

February 7, 2004 - Bradley wins Michigan, Washington  
DETROIT, MI - Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey easily won Democratic presidential nominating contests in Michigan and Washington, having the strong support of progressive, non-white, and younger voters. In Michigan, Bradley secured 47% of the vote, well ahead of Retired General Wesley Clark and Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean, who won 30% and 20% respectively. In Washington, Bradley won 45% of the vote, ahead of Dean's 30% and Clark's 21%. Congressman Dennis Kucinich won 2% of the vote in both contests.

February 10, 2004 - Clark wins Tennessee, Virginia; Dean exits presidential race, endorses Bill Bradley for President
NASHVILLE, TN - Retired General Wesley Clark won Democratic presidential nominating contests in Tennessee and Virginia. In Tennessee, Clark secured 40% of the vote, ahead of Former New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley who won 38% of the vote and Former Vermont Governor Howard Dean, who won 20% of the vote. Clark won Virginia with 48% of the vote, followed by Bradley with 28% and Dean with 20% of the vote. Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich won 1% in both contests. Exit polling shows Clark has strong support with older, moderate, white, and rural voters. Dean announced that he will no longer be a candidate for President and is supporting Bill Bradley for the Democratic Presidential Nomination.

February 14, 2004 - Bradley wins Nevada, Washington D.C.
Nevada: Bradley 50% Clark 48% Kucinich 1%
Washington D.C.: Bradley 70% Clark 28% Kucinich 1%

February 17, 2004 - Bradley wins Wisconsin primary
Bill Bradley 49%
Wesley Clark 48%
Dennis Kucinich 2%

February 24, 2004 - Bradley wins three contests
Hawaii: Bradley 55% Clark 40% Kucinich 4%
Idaho: Bradley 50% Clark 48% Kucinich 1%
Utah: Bradley 57% Clark 40% Kucinich 2%

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2019, 10:05:20 PM »

Can you please show the primary map based on the current results?
BushKerry04

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2019, 09:12:41 PM »

Sure!

Red = Clark
Blue = Bradley
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2019, 02:32:07 AM »

Sure!

Red = Clark
Blue = Bradley

Seems like Bradley has the momentum in the primaries as he not only won Iowa Democratic caucuses but also WI, MI, WI, NV, NM and WA.
BushKerry04

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2019, 08:52:40 PM »

March 2, 2004 - Super Tuesday: Bradley wins 6 states, Clark wins 3, Dean wins Vermont; Kucinich withdrawals from presidential race

WASHINGTON, DC - Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey won a majority of Super Tuesday Democratic presidential nominating contests, and gained a large lead in terms of both popular votes and delegates after claiming wins in large states such as California, Massachusetts, and New York. Bradley has particularly strong support amongst women, non-white, younger, suburban, and progressive voters while Wesley Clark is especially popular with older, moderate, rural, and voters who cite electability as their top concern in the Democratic presidential primary. Clark secured victories in the midwestern states of Ohio and Minnesota, as well as in Georgia. Congressman Dennis Kucinich announced he will exit the presidential race and instead seek re-election to the House of Representatives after losing all Super Tuesday contests, including in his home state of Ohio. However, Kucinich did win his congressional district and the City of Cleveland. A plurality of Vermont Democrats voted to nominate their former Governor and former presidential candidate Howard Dean, for President. The results were as follows:

California - Bradley 45% Clark 40% Kucinich 14%
Connecticut - Bradley 53% Clark 42% Kucinich 4%
Maryland - Bradley 52% Clark 45% Kucinich 2%
Massachusetts - Bradley 53% Clark 43% Kucinich 3%
New York - Bradley 52% Clark 45% Kucinich 2%
Rhode Island - Bradley 60% Clark 37% Kucinich 2%
Vermont - Dean 41% Bradley 30% Clark 25% Kucinich 3%
Georgia - Clark 54% Bradley 42% Kucinich 3%
Ohio - Clark 38% Bradley 35% Kucinich 25%
Minnesota - Clark 47% Bradley 45% Kucinich 7%

BushKerry04

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »

March 9, 2004 - Clark wins majority of southern contests
Florida - Clark 51% Bradley 48%
Louisiana - Clark 60% Bradley 39%
Mississippi - Clark 62% Bradley 37%
Texas - Clark 53% Bradley 46%
North Carolina - Bradley 50% Clark 49%

March 13, 2004 - Bradley wins Kansas Caucuses
Bill Bradley 55%
Wesley Clark 44%

March 16, 2004 - Bill Bradley wins Illinois Democratic Primary
Bill Bradley 54%
Wesley Clark 45%

March 19, 2004 - Clark withdrawals from presidential race, Bill Bradley becomes Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee
LITTLE ROCK, AR - Retired General Wesley Clark announced that he will end his campaign for the Democratic Presidential Nomination and endorse Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey as the presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee at a press conference in Little Rock, Arkansas. Despite winning New Hampshire, Ohio, Minnesota, and a majority of southern contests, Clark trails Bradley by over 450,000 votes and 300 delegates. "The campaign we have run has been about issues important not only to Democrats, but to all Americans. We've talked about greater fairness and equality here at home and the need for strong American leadership in foreign affairs. At this point in time, I think it's time to unite behind the candidate who stands for these principles as opposed to dragging out the Democratic primary. So I am suspending my campaign for President and endorsing Bill Bradley for President," Clark stated. Bill Bradley's campaign released a statement praising the Retired General for his "service to the nation and principled positions on important issues."

March 23, 2004 - Survey: Bush leads Bradley in close race
WASHINGTON, DC - A CNN poll finds that President George W. Bush leads presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Bill Bradley nationally and important swing states. Nationally, Bush leads Bradley 47%-44%. The President also leads the Former New Jersey Senator in the swing states of Ohio (48%-43%), Pennsylvania (45%-44%), Florida (47%-42%), Virginia (49%-41%), North Carolina (47%-40%), and Iowa (48%-44%). Bradley leads the President in New Hampshire (46%-44%), Wisconsin (45%-44%), Michigan (47%-43%), and Nevada (45%-44%).

April 5, 2004 - Several names rumored to be on Bradley's Vice Presidential Shortlist
WASHINGTON, DC - Sources with knowledge of the presidential campaign of Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley told the Associated Press that the presumptive Democratic nominee for President will announce a vice presidential running-mate about a week before the Democratic National Convention. While about 15 names have been mentioned as potential Bradley running-mates, the sources mentioned just eight: Retired General Wesley Clark, Former Governor of Virginia Douglas Wilder, Tennessee Congressman Harold Ford Jr., House Democratic Leader Dick Gephardt, U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton of New York, U.S. Senator John Edwards of North Carolina, Former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley-Braun of Illinois, and U.S. Senator Evan Bayh of Indiana.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »

Got to admit, I am a little shocked you choose Bradley. Strange how 1996 being a somewhat close race ends up having a different nominee entirely by 2004, only two elections later
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2019, 12:11:06 AM »

Got to admit, I am a little shocked you choose Bradley. Strange how 1996 being a somewhat close race ends up having a different nominee entirely by 2004, only two elections later
I think Bradley vs. Bush ‘04 has much more to do with Kerry losing to Weld in ‘96 than the margin in that year’s presidential election.

It’s odd that Bush is taking action against Afghanistan and Iraq without either 9/11 or the influence of Dick Cheney, as apparently Bush never wanted to be a foreign policy president.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2019, 04:16:01 AM »

What do the general election match up polls between Bush and Bradley look like now?
BushKerry04

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2019, 10:38:31 PM »

Sorry it has taken me so long to update!

July 15, 2004 - Bradley selects Wilder as Vice Presidential Nominee
RICHMOND, VA - Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Bill Bradley announced that Former Governor of Virginia Douglas Wilder will be his running-mate in the 2004 presidential election. "Governor Wilder led Virginia during a time of recession and helped his state grow while investing in infrastructure. He knows how to lead and work to accomplish goals, and that's why I've asked him to be my running-mate," Bradley declared at a campaign event in Wilder's hometown of Richmond, VA. Most pundits agree Bradley selected Wilder because of his executive experience and ability to win Virginia and independent voters.

July 29, 2004 - Democrats talk bipartisanship, criticize Bush during national convention
BOSTON, MA - Democrats held their 2004 national convention that officially nominated Former U.S. Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey for President and Former Governor of Virginia Douglas Wilder for Vice President. The speakers touted Bradley's bipartisan credentials on tax reform while criticizing President Bush's Iraq policy and what multiple speakers referred to as a "sluggish" U.S. economy. "We have to come together as one nation to solve the problems we face, from growing deficits and income inequality to the fact that millions of Americans don't have health insurance," Douglas Wilder, who served as Governor of Virginia from 1990-1994, stated during his vice presidential nomination speech. "I made the decision to run for President, and I stand before you here tonight because I know that we have to do the hard, yet necessary work not only to grow our economy again, but to make it work for everyone. But make no mistake about it, we must strive not only for economic fairness, but also social fairness, fiscal fairness, fairness in our health care system, fairness in education, and fairness in our campaign finance system," Bill Bradley stated when he accepted the Democratic presidential nomination. Retired General Wesley Clark, who opposed Bradley in the Democratic primary season, gave the convention's keynote address, praised the Bradley/Wilder ticket as "deeply committed to economic revival and success in Iraq."

September 2, 2004 - Bush, GOP defend record, criticize Democrats for moving left during national convention
NEW YORK, NY - President George W. Bush and Vice President Elizabeth Dole accepted the GOP nomination for a second term during a convention that focused on their record and criticized the Democratic Party for moving too far to the political left. "Our nation is safer, stronger, and better off today than we were four years ago because we've worked together to strengthen our military and make progress in Iraq, cut taxes and transformed education here at home, and we have nominated judges who follow the constitution and aren't judicial activists," President Bush stated during his nomination speech. "Our opponents want to talk about anything except the fact that the American economy is strong, the achievement gap in education is declining, and millions of senior citizens now have access to affordable prescription drugs. Instead, our opponents embrace the failed spend & tax policies of the past," Vice President Dole declared during her address. Former Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani, who gave the convention's keynote address, called for independents and Democrats to support the Bush/Dole ticket in the fall. "This administration has accomplished what Democrats have only talked about, particularly in the areas of education, expanding prescription drug benefits to seniors, and promoting green energy," Giuliani declared.

September 15, 2004 - Survey: Bush leads Bradley nationally, in some swing-states
WASHINGTON, DC - An NBC/WSJ survey finds that President George W. Bush leads Democratic challenger Bill Bradley nationally and in most swing-states. Nationally, Bush leads Bradley 48%-43%. The President also leads Bradley in Florida (49%-43%), North Carolina (48%-43%), Colorado (47%-45%), Nevada (47%-44%), Iowa (46%-45%), Ohio (47%-45%), and New Hampshire (47%-45%). Bradley leads the President in Wisconsin (45%-44%), Michigan (47%-44%), Virginia (46%-44%), and New Mexico (45%-44%). The candidates each are tied at 45% in Pennsylvania.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2019, 11:03:40 PM »

Virginia was still a red state in 2004 and went to Bush by 8 percentage points in real life. So I don't see Bradley leading and winning in Virginia.
538Electoral

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »

Virginia was still a red state in 2004 and went to Bush by 8 percentage points in real life. So I don't see Bradley leading and winning in Virginia.

Some Democrats did see Virginia as a possibility in 2004. I agree with you that they never really had a chance, But in this timeline I guess Virginia and North Carolina became swing states a little earlier.
BushKerry04

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »

True, but no one from Virginia was on the Dems ticket.

September 3, 2004 - Bush, Bradley participate in first presidential debate on domestic issues

Moderator: What are your top three domestic policy priorities, and how do you plan to accomplish them?

"When I ran for President four years ago, I said I would cut taxes, reform our education system, lower the cost of prescription drugs, and preserve and protect medicare and social security. I'm proud of the fact that I cut taxes, allowing families to keep more of what they earn while helping small businesses grow this economy. Working with Republicans and Democrats, I'm also proud to have transformed our education system by raising standards and with new funding for our schools. We also worked to add a medicare prescription drug benefit to medicare. In a second-term, I'll work with Republicans and Democrats to strengthen social security and medicare. This can be accomplished through a balanced budget plan. So the answer to your question is, social security reform, medicare reform, and fiscal responsibility will be my domestic priorities in a second term. My opponent has a very different view. Rather than preserve the programs we have now, my opponent wants new spending and government programs. The Senator even voted against reforming the welfare system" - George W. Bush

"Revitalizing our economy in a way that promotes fairness, reforming our criminal justice system, and reforming our campaign finance system will be my top three domestic priorities if elected President. President Bush talks about his tax cut, a law that did nothing to simplify the tax code and has given most of the tax relief we've seen to the very wealthy and large corporations. I was part of the last bipartisan effort to simplify our tax code, and I want to lead the effort again because I think if we lower tax rates on small businesses and close loopholes, we can promote economic growth while reducing the deficit. I also think if we expanded access to affordable health insurance, employers would be able to hire more employees. On the issue of criminal justice reform, I think we need to emphasize rehabilitation for lower level offenses and end the for-profit prison system in this country. And as it relates to campaign finance reform, I have called for public financing of all federal elections. I can get these things done because I have strong relationships with both Democrats and Republicans in Congress" - Bill Bradley

Moderator: On the economy, is the United States better off today than we were in the year 2000?

"Thanks to the tax cut, we saw the shortest economic recession in modern history. Today, we are seeing declining unemployment and more economic activity. More Americans are buying homes and our businesses are growing again. Federal tax revenues are up and welfare rolls are down. Inflation is historically low, and the stock market is strong which helps people's retirement funds. By virtually every measure, our economy is stronger today than it was in 2000. And this is where the American people have a choice to make. My opponent voted for the largest tax increase in the history of our country and has criticized the tax relief we passed that has led to the economy recovery we are in. Senator Bradley also opposed welfare reform that promoted work. As a candidate for President, Senator Bradley has proposed government-run health care, nearly $1 trillion in new federal spending , and $350 billion in higher taxes. What the American economy needs right now for us to continue to grow is keeping in place the tax cut and keeping a lid on federal spending, plus making sure we become independent of foreign sources of energy. I'm committed to doing just that" - George W. Bush

"Job growth remains sluggish, wages remain stagnant, inequality continues to grow, and businesses are having a hard time helping to provide their employees with quality health insurance. But let's be clear, the problem isn't that our economy is worse off today than it was four years ago, the problem is this administration has done nothing to ensure we will be better off in four years from now. The President talks about tax cuts, but where is the tax cut for working families? He talks about reducing the deficit and it's just talk, I actually worked with members of both parties to pass tax reform that also addressed deficits. The President talks about helping small businesses, but why hasn't he addressed the rising cost of health care in America? Here is the simple truth. Until we address the underlying causes of economic problems - a campaign finance system that enables special interests to buy access to lobby Congress to keep in place corporate tax loopholes, poverty, lack of investment in education and rural communities, and a criminal justice system that keeps people from having a second chance to be productive, we are never going to have an economy that is fair to everyone. My economic plan will both create jobs and do what President Bush promised four years ago, and that is broaden prosperity for every American" - Bill Bradley

Moderator: What would be your proposals to address the rising costs of health care and energy, and how do you plan to accomplish your goals on these issues?

"I think the best way to address the issue of expensive health insurance is to make sure we keep in place the deduction of medical expenses on tax returns, keep in place my tax plan that lowered taxes, and work to enact tort reform that forces insurance companies to increase premiums. I also think the medicare prescription drug benefit we added to medicare will continue to help seniors afford prescription drug coverage. Allowing people to buy insurance across state lines would also lower premiums in the private marketplace. As far as energy, I have supported green energy tax credits. We have to invest in both traditional and alternative energy in an environmentally friendly way so that there is greater competition in the marketplace. In terms of how I'd get these things done, I've worked with Congress on foreign policy, taxes, education, prescription drug benefits for seniors, trade, supporting our veterans, and other issues. I have a demonstrated record of results because I've worked with Congress" - George W. Bush

"We have a health care crisis in America, and this administration's unwillingness to address it is one of their biggest failures in my opinion. Nearly 46 million Americans lack health insurance today, yet this President has prioritized tax breaks for the very wealthy and giveaways to the pharmaceutical industry and oil companies. I have a three-point health care plan. Number one, we need to expand medicaid eligibility because there are too many Americans who can't afford private insurance, but also are eligible for medicaid. Number two, middle-income Americans should be able to buy into a government administered plan if they like it. And number three, those with preexisting health conditions should never be denied coverage based on that condition, it should be illegal and I'll get it done as President. On energy policy, I will replace subsidies going to big oil with increasing green energy tax credits and I will increase federal assistance programs to help those who are having difficulty paying their utility bills. I will work with Democrats and Republicans, as I did on tax reform and deficit reduction, to help expand access to health insurance, reduce energy costs, and protect our enviornment" - Bill Bradley  
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2019, 10:47:02 AM »

True, but no one from Virginia was on the Dems ticket.

Right, but Edwards on the Democratic ticket did not help Kerry win NC either.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2019, 09:59:20 PM »

When is the next update?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies