Trump exaggerated his net worth by $2 billion to get loans from Deutsche Bank
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:11:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump exaggerated his net worth by $2 billion to get loans from Deutsche Bank
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Trump exaggerated his net worth by $2 billion to get loans from Deutsche Bank  (Read 1066 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2019, 12:27:22 AM »

This is not surprising at all. However, this is bank fraud. Both Paul Manafort and Michael Cohen are going to prison in part because of bank fraud.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:14:55 AM »

I hope the State of New York takes full control of any charges against trump and the Trump Organization. That way, there will be no federal pardons to any of these crooks.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 02:54:23 AM »

This is just good business
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 03:07:24 AM »

No, that's clearly fraud. What planet are you from?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 07:25:44 AM »

I have been saying this for years. (Not that I'm the only one.)

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 07:33:53 AM »

no
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 07:51:05 AM »

Unrealistically overvaluing his assets because of delusional narcissism (further stoked by the bank he was doing business with) is perhaps more a combination of greed and mental illness than fraud. Still, obviously unacceptable.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:12:40 AM »

Trump the illegal.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 08:12:48 AM »

Net worth is incredibly easy to manipulate by playing with just a couple variables. Thank you Michael for doing the dirty work on those assumptions.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 08:16:40 AM »

Even Stevie Wonder can see through your trolling.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 11:32:59 AM »

A planet where during the third presidential debate in the general election, Trump supporters cheered when his answer to "you didn't pay any taxes in the few years we do have of your tax returns" was "that makes me smart".
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 12:50:40 PM »

Bread gained by deceit is sweet to a man, but afterward his mouth will be full of gravel.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »

The Art of the Steal, Part 5197
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 02:37:34 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2019, 02:40:49 PM by Santander »

The Republican Party would be wise to take notes from DB. They're heading down exactly the same path. Nobody has come out of a long-term relationship with Trump for the better. He is a Category 5 moron who cannot be relied upon to act in any way even vaguely resembling reasonable.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »

LOCK HIM UP.

While net-worth is a very volatile metric, claiming 2 billion out of thin air is something else.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 02:47:13 PM »

LOCK HIM UP.

While net-worth is a very volatile metric, claiming 2 billion out of thin air is something else.

After Trump made his financial assertions to DB, they evaluated the risk against the opportunity and they decided to move forward with providing him finance. You can't lock someone up if the counterparty conducts independent analysis and accepts the risk.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »

LOCK HIM UP.

After Trump made his financial assertions to DB, they evaluated the risk against the opportunity and they decided to move forward with providing him finance. You can't lock someone up if the counterparty conducts independent analysis and accepts the risk.

Lying on a financial application is against Federal and State laws. Getting the mortgage or loan doesn't matter. Is it a prosecutable case for a NY Prosecutor, I don't know. But I'm in favor in any actions that leads to scrutinization of Trump's assets and relationship with Deutsch Bank, a bank that is notorious for money laundering.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 03:18:44 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2019, 03:22:09 PM by Santander »

LOCK HIM UP.

Lying on a financial application is against Federal and State laws. Getting the mortgage or loan doesn't matter. Is it a prosecutable case for a NY Prosecutor, I don't know. But I'm in favor in any actions that leads to scrutinization of Trump's assets and relationship with Deutsch Bank, a bank that is notorious for money laundering.

Trump forging documents, claiming to own assets he did not, or asserting a value on an asset that is grossly unreasonable (we're talking like an order of magnitude off a hypothetical independent third party's valuation) is fraud. Business principals obviously have a tendency to be biased towards favorable valuations of their assets, while a bank's risk department's job is to be conservative. Trump's valuation of a real estate asset being 70% higher than the bank's risk department's valuation is far from unusual and far from financial fraud. On the contrary, it is literally just another day in alternative assets finance.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 04:19:13 PM »

LOCK HIM UP.

Trump forging documents, claiming to own assets he did not, or asserting a value on an asset that is grossly unreasonable (we're talking like an order of magnitude off a hypothetical independent third party's valuation) is fraud. Business principals obviously have a tendency to be biased towards favorable valuations of their assets, while a bank's risk department's job is to be conservative. Trump's valuation of a real estate asset being 70% higher than the bank's risk department's valuation is far from unusual and far from financial fraud. On the contrary, it is literally just another day in alternative assets finance.

I don't think that there is just one trump real estate asset, that is in question (which you make it sound like in your response). They are talking about his total net worth (basically, all assets minus all liabilities). If trump claimed 3 billion and the real number is about 788 million, then that is about 4 times (400%) of one number compared to the other. This in no way would be considered fudging one's assets by a small amount or "just another day" in sneaky asset evaluation. Yes, businesses do over-evaluate, but not by that much!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 08:12:18 PM »

The man who was born for the purpose of being Fred Trump's tax shelter sure learned a lot from his daddy.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »

To some, i.e. Trumpers, fraud is good business.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 11:55:15 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2019, 01:09:16 PM by pbrower2a »

It is bank fraud, which is criminal because it is bad business. People go to prison for that. Bankers do not lend to gamblers or cheats if they can avoid doing so. It is best that bankers first lend to those who can best use the proceeds of a loan. Meyer Rothschild operated on  the principle of never offering a loan to someone for whom the loan would burn the customer. He got fantastically rich by following that procedure. Cheaters have a far higher chance of defaulting than those who can show that the loan will get them a stronger stream of income.    

A debtor has no right to cheat a creditor by offering something worthless, nearly-worthless, or blatantly overvalued as collateral.

Borrowing money is a privilege, and creditors need some protection. If the slum that I offer as a 'luxury apartment' as collateral for buying more property, then I cheat the bank. This is not to say that I cannot upgrade a slum apartment into 'luxury apartment' through renovation and borrow money for such.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 11:58:18 AM »

It is bank fraud. People go to prison for that. Bankers do not lend to gamblers or cheats if they can avoid doing so.

A debtor has no right to cheat a creditor by offering something worthless, nearly-worthless, or blatantly overvalued as collateral.

Borrowing money is a privilege, and creditors need some protection. If the slum that I offer as a 'luxury apartment' as collateral for buying more property, then I cheat the bank. This is not to say that I cannot upgrade a slum apartment into 'luxury apartment' through renovation.   

You clearly have no idea how debt finance works...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies