Bernie Sanders hires David Sirota as campaign spokesman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders hires David Sirota as campaign spokesman
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders hires David Sirota as campaign spokesman  (Read 4639 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2019, 03:36:18 PM »

SCOOP @davidsirota, just hired as Bernie Sanders' speechwriter and senior adviser, has been quietly writing speeches and advising him for months without disclosing it but while bashing pretty much every candidate in the field:

Lmao!

"Warren is impressive, honest and in it for the right reasons. It is great that she will be using her platform to force the presidential campaign debate to focus on these issues."
— David Sirota (@davidsirota) December 31, 2018

And?

He tried to say Beto was getting his money from big oil. It was one of the most dishonest attacks I have seen in recent memory.

He is a hack.

How is he wrong? Beto did take a lot of money from oil executives.  Sirota welcomed Warren into the race despite her never having endorsed Bernie last time.

He is wrong because most of the money came from average/everyday people who worked in the oil industry. It wasn't coming from big time executives.

He didn't go after Warren, because she isn't a threat to Bernie in terms of young voters. Sirota went from saying Beto should be house speaker to Beto being the devil the minute there was some 2020 buzz about him.

Beto did take a lot of money from executives and maxed out donors.

And don't try to claim that Warren isn't competing for some of the same voters as Bernie.

They aren't.

Beto is an appealing candidate to young, liberal white men. That is a core demographic that makes up Bernie's coalition.

A lot of progressives have Bernie first and Warren second (at least out of the candidates polling more than 1%). And Bernie has a lot of support among minorities and women.

Bernie's main support comes from white, young liberals. I love Warren, but she isn't a threat to take those voters like Beto is.

That is why Sirota went after him.

Oh so now you drop the gender.  Most voters are white, and that NY poll showed that minority Democrats would be far happier with Bernie as the nominee than white Democrats.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2019, 03:36:49 PM »

Can we start a "Bernie makes me so maaaad waaaaah!" megathread? Or just a "[Democratic candidate] is literally the devil" megathread?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2019, 03:39:10 PM »

SCOOP @davidsirota, just hired as Bernie Sanders' speechwriter and senior adviser, has been quietly writing speeches and advising him for months without disclosing it but while bashing pretty much every candidate in the field:

Lmao!

"Warren is impressive, honest and in it for the right reasons. It is great that she will be using her platform to force the presidential campaign debate to focus on these issues."

And?

He tried to say Beto was getting his money from big oil. It was one of the most dishonest attacks I have seen in recent memory.

He is a hack.

How is he wrong? Beto did take a lot of money from oil executives.  Sirota welcomed Warren into the race despite her never having endorsed Bernie last time.

He is wrong because most of the money came from average/everyday people who worked in the oil industry. It wasn't coming from big time executives.

He didn't go after Warren, because she isn't a threat to Bernie in terms of young voters. Sirota went from saying Beto should be house speaker to Beto being the devil the minute there was some 2020 buzz about him.

And don't try to claim that Warren isn't competing for some of the same voters as Bernie.

They aren't.

Beto is an appealing candidate to young, liberal white men. That is a core demographic that makes up Bernie's coalition.

A lot of progressives have Bernie first and Warren second (at least out of the candidates polling more than 1%). And Bernie has a lot of support among minorities and women.

Bernie's main support comes from white, young liberals. I love Warren, but she isn't a threat to take those voters like Beto is.

Oh so now you drop the gender.  Most voters are white, and that NY poll showed that minority Democrats would be far happier with Bernie as the nominee than white Democrats.

No, I actually just forgot to type young, white liberal men.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2019, 03:40:42 PM »

Lmao!

And?

He is a hack.

They aren't.

No, I actually just forgot to type young, white liberal men.

It's not even close to being true that most of his voters are young white liberal men.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2019, 03:44:27 PM »

A lot of people are acting as if "campaign spokesperson" means anything other than "a person brought on to do 3-minute blurbs on cable news using the official campaign talking points". Many campaigns have dozens or even hundreds of these people, depending on the size and complexity of the campaign. I doubt Sirota is going to cause Sanders to lose any more than Katrina Pierson or Kayleigh McEnany cost Trump the Electoral College.

I’m no fan of Sirota and would strongly wish Sanders had not hired him but this is the proper take.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2019, 03:48:28 PM »

Can we start a "Bernie makes me so maaaad waaaaah!" megathread? Or just a "[Democratic candidate] is literally the devil" megathread?

I’d normally merge this with the general Bernie 2020 megathread but seeing this thread is 3 pages already, this specific subject matter is probably worthy of its own thread, or at least not grounds to be merged with said megathread at this time.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2019, 04:03:32 PM »

Sirota’s attacks on Sanders’ political opponents under the guise of journalism goes back to 2015 - here’s a story that he wrote about Hillary Clinton (that wasn’t true) which then got picked up by many, including many Republicans, as a line of attack

Yeah, no big deal though.

The 2020 primaries are going to be a bigger **** show then 2016.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2019, 04:05:14 PM »

This is a terrible hot take by another problematic hire by the Bernie campaign:

TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2019, 04:52:55 PM »

Terrible hires. The gall of Bernie to act like he's above the establishment or whatever and then turn around and enlist hacks like these in his campaign. Disgraceful.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2019, 04:53:53 PM »

Nobody said that Sirota himself is going to move votes. The problem here is his and Sanders campaign's dishonesty and shady tactics.
When we called out Sirota for slandering other potential candidates the bros defended their God King by saying that he has no relation whatsoever with these attacks. That proved to be a blatant lie.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »

Nobody said that Sirota himself is going to move votes. The problem here is his and Sanders campaign's dishonesty and shady tactics.
When we called out Sirota for slandering other potential candidates the bros defended their God King by saying that he has no relation whatsoever with these attacks. That proved to be a blatant lie.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2019, 05:50:12 PM »

The replies in this thread, all of them, scream Trump victory.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »

This is a terrible hot take by another problematic hire by the Bernie campaign:

What a mess. The Sanders campaign is a cesspool.
Bumaye

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2019, 06:11:24 PM »

So Sirota praised Warren - who is literally the only other electable major candidate - and attacked a couple of neolibs? And I should be mad about that for what reason?

Besides that nobody gives any sht about this topic besides people who have a clear opinion about Bernie anyway.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2019, 06:29:02 PM »

So Sirota praised Warren - who is literally the only other electable major candidate - and attacked a couple of neolibs? And I should be mad about that for what reason?

Besides that nobody gives any sht about this topic besides people who have a clear opinion about Bernie anyway.
Anyone to the right of Fidel Castro is a "neolib" in your eyes.

And Warren electable?!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2019, 06:32:55 PM »

And the fact O'Rourke is yet to tell anyone where his money is coming from isn't shady?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »

This is a troublesome, mean-spirited, odious comment. To insinuate that your political opponents are nothing more than petulant babies for finding a campaign hiring to be unethical is beneath you. Well, at least I thought.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2019, 06:46:04 PM »

And the fact O'Rourke is yet to tell anyone where his money is coming from isn't shady?
Bernie Sanders pledged to release his tax returns 22 days ago.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2019, 06:46:18 PM »

This is a troublesome, mean-spirited, odious comment. To insinuate that your political opponents are nothing more than petulant babies for finding a campaign hiring to be unethical is beneath you. Well, at least I thought.

Literally no one outside VSPs and VOPs will care about this.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 06:53:35 PM »

WTF are you talking about? When the quarter closes and he files his next fundraising report you will find out where his money came from, like the rest of the world.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2019, 06:59:30 PM »

This reflects more poorly on Sirota than it does Sanders, but we already knew Sirota was garbage, so does this really change anything? Sure it's mildly furtive of Sanders's campaign to do this but all campaigns are involved in weird, nefarious undisclosed connections so I don't think this is particularly bad. Honestly the fact that he would want to associate himself with Sirota at all is a worse look than associating with Sirota and having him choose not to disclose who he works for.

You're better than this.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »

As stated these hires aren't going to more votes, but they are indicative of what sort campaign Sanders is planning. You already have some of his fans out there claiming that the Texas Democratic Party gave O'Rourke $6 million dollars to outdo Sanders' one day total which is a total lie since that is way over the limit.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »

Yeah, clearly everything people on this forum say about Sanders is "legitimate criticism" or "scrutiny" made with the best of intentions, and not based on blaming him/holding a grudge against him for Clinton's loss (which is totally rational and backed up by evidence.)  I'm seriously not allowed to call other Democrats out when I think they actually are being petty and childish? Not even when they go after every little detail about Sanders, no matter how relevant it is, all the while claiming that we need "party unity", and blaming "Sanders supporters" for Clinton's loss and the division in the party when most of us got behind Clinton in 2016?

This idea that I'm the mean-spirited one unless I sit down, shut my mouth, and let other Democrats rip apart a candidate I believe in who has already brought many people into the political process, and has an agenda that Democrats can actually sell, and then claim that we're not allowed to be critical of other candidates since that's divisive is absurd. I've said that some of the criticism of Harris/O'Rourke/other candidates is also silly, sometimes bordering on hysterical, so it's not like I deny that the childishness is coming from many directions. As you (hopefully) saw in my comment, I did suggest a megathread for exaggerated and petty complaints about all candidates, so at least I make some effort to check my bias, which is more than can be said for a lot of my fellow Democrats.

The attitude that I see in the Democratic Party right now is leading me to believe that Trump is more likely than not to win re-election regardless of who the nominee is. I'm very invested in stopping that from happening, which is why I want to slap some sense into people who are constantly going after a given Democratic candidate with a machete under the guise of "muh scrutiny." If you think you're so much better and less "odious" than I am, why don't you tell me what I'm getting wrong and what I should be doing?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2019, 07:24:28 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2019, 07:27:32 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

I agree that this probably won't matter much, but it does not make me, personally, want to support Sanders any more than I already did. I am now despairing at the thought of seeing Sirota all over the media during the primary. He'll make Jeff Weaver look subtle.  
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »

You're better than this.

Look at this forum and tell me I'm wrong. I'm hardly the one here who should be accused of posting something "beneath" myself.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies