SENATE BILL: Senate Off-site Procedures Rules Resolution (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:20:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Senate Off-site Procedures Rules Resolution (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Senate Off-site Procedures Rules Resolution (Passed)  (Read 5852 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »

While I personally support Discord regulation, I think this bill may go a bit too far.

I agree with points A, D and E. It's important that all official business takes place here and not on the Discord (remember that Lokcord, the most used channel, isn't official or even open to everyone!).

Regarding D and E, I'm pretty sure that slander and harrasment are both crimes already in the forum, so they should be illegal on Discord as well. And if they aren't, they should. Harrassment and slander are very bad actions that should be illegal. Probably with a high threshold to actually sentence someone, but crimes nontheless.

B and C are the ones where I disagree. These 2 should remain legal (of course, leaking stuff from places like the National Security Council should still be punishable) and I think this is where the courts have ruled that bans here would be unconstitutional.

I also agree with the fact that we shouldn't single out Discord. If we moved to IRC, or Whatsapp, or something like that for some reason then this bill would be obsolete. So, I'm presenting the following ammendment:

SENATE BILL
To resolve leaking from private chats and harassment on discord off-site chat rooms

Be it enacted in both Houses of Congress Assembled,

Discord Off-site chat rooms Regulations Bill
1. Discord Off-site Crimes
A:Conducting official business on discord off-site chat rooms- This crime shall be considered the conducting or taking part of a formal votes and making of formal motions by any regional assembly or the federal senate or federal  house. Any legislative business conducted by the previous mentioned assembles  shall be considered null and void if done on discord off-site chat rooms.
B. Sharing of non authorized Direct Messages- This crime shall be considered the direct sharing of direct messages either whole or in part with other citizens of Atlasia either on Discord or on the public forum without the express written consent of the other individual(s) in the DM.
C. Sharing of non authorized messages in locked channels in Atlasia serves- This crime shall be considered the direct sharing of messages in a locked channel of a Atlasia affiliated server either whole or by part on either discord or in public without the express written consent of all individuals that posted in the shared messages.

D B. Spreading liable speech about another Atlasia citizen on discord off-site chat rooms-  This crime shall be considered the spreading of knowingly false information about a registered Atlasian to at least one other registered Atlasia citizen.
EC. Harassment of other Atlasian citizens on discord off-site chat rooms- This shall be known as the public posting of vulgar or threatening remarks directed or about another Atlasian citizen.

2.Criminal liability and sentencing procedures- The above crimes shall be tried the same way  as Crimes against Atlasia. The above crimes shall have a maximum sentence of a 1 year voting ban and a 1 year ban on holding office.

3. This bill shall take effect immediately upon passage.

This removes sections B and C and extends the bill to other off-site chat rooms

The problem with D and E is not the harrassment term itself, but the fact that such actions are protected by Atlasian Supreme Court Precedent, and the fact that the law does not define the term and does not allow juries to consider context. As a result, obvious jokes would suddenly turn into crimes, because the court is not allowed to even entertain the idea of something being a joke, all they are allowed to consider is whether the information was vaguely threatening or false - context or even the opinion of the 'victim' cannot be considered by the jury or by the court for the purposes of determining guilt.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2019, 12:53:29 AM »

Quote from: Amendment S17:07 by Tack50
SENATE BILL
To resolve leaking from private chats and harassment on discord off-site chat rooms

Discord Off-site chat rooms Regulations Bill
1. Discord Off-site Crimes
A:Conducting official business on discord off-site chat rooms- This crime shall be considered the conducting or taking part of a formal votes and making of formal motions by any regional assembly or the federal senate or federal  house. Any legislative business conducted by the previous mentioned assembles  shall be considered null and void if done on discord off-site chat rooms.
B. Sharing of non authorized Direct Messages- This crime shall be considered the direct sharing of direct messages either whole or in part with other citizens of Atlasia either on Discord or on the public forum without the express written consent of the other individual(s) in the DM.
C. Sharing of non authorized messages in locked channels in Atlasia serves- This crime shall be considered the direct sharing of messages in a locked channel of a Atlasia affiliated server either whole or by part on either discord or in public without the express written consent of all individuals that posted in the shared messages.

D B. Spreading liable speech about another Atlasia citizen on discord off-site chat rooms-  This crime shall be considered the spreading of knowingly false information about a registered Atlasian to at least one other registered Atlasia citizen.
EC. Harassment of other Atlasian citizens on discord off-site chat rooms- This shall be known as the public posting of vulgar or threatening remarks directed or about another Atlasian citizen.

2.Criminal liability and sentencing procedures- The above crimes shall be tried the same way  as Crimes against Atlasia. The above crimes shall have a maximum sentence of a 1 year voting ban and a 1 year ban on holding office.

This removes sections B and C and extends the bill to other off-site chat rooms

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2019, 01:40:51 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2019, 01:45:26 AM by Bernie 2020 »

A is bad, B is still bad (what in the heck is "knowingly false"),C is too broad and could be used in numerous manners. I will remind you all one of your most productive joint sessions of congresses we ever had was on mibbit. I will never understand the witch hunt behind the discord legislative bans last year, honestly. If chat logs can be provided, what is the big issue?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2019, 01:43:04 AM »

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ZJADwLtxvw5GM" width="480" height="387" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/amp-dummies-brexit-ZJADwLtxvw5GM">via GIPHY</a></p>

A is bad, B is still bad (what in the heck is "knowingly false"),C is too broad and could be used in numerous manners. I will remind you all one of your most productive joint sessions of congresses we ever had was on mibbit. I will never understand the witch hunt behind the discord legislative bans last year, honestly. If chat logs can be provided, what is the big issue?

There are downsides to this as well though. I missed said joint session of Congress because it occurred in real time on a day I worked.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 01:46:20 AM »

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/ZJADwLtxvw5GM" width="480" height="387" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/amp-dummies-brexit-ZJADwLtxvw5GM">via GIPHY</a></p>

There are downsides to this as well though. I missed said joint session of Congress because it occurred in real time on a day I worked.
Sure, it should only be done when everyone is available. Still, it has upsides and I don't believe it should be outlawed completely. You never know when an emergency may arise where such a setup could work well.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2019, 01:48:49 AM »

Sure, it should only be done when everyone is available. Still, it has upsides and I don't believe it should be outlawed completely. You never know when an emergency may arise where such a setup could work well.

Well I would note that the first clause is still unconstitutional, both because it touches on regional assemblies and Congress's individual chamber's rights to make their own rules.

I will be offering a subsequent amendment probably on Saturday to address that aspect. In such a thing, we can always make provision for Joint sessions.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2019, 01:51:11 AM »

Indeed, it'd be odd for the pro-regional Federalists to let a federal bill outlaw anything for a regional legislature Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2019, 02:00:06 AM »

Indeed, it'd be odd for the pro-regional Federalists to let a federal bill outlaw anything for a regional legislature Tongue

Well if the ACP fancies pursuing the road of anti-regional conservatism, that is something they will have to answer for with the voters and their members, including the Attorney General.

I on the other hand will do what is in the best interests of the region that elected me, which includes protecting and expanding regional power and authority.

Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2019, 02:19:56 AM »

Well if the ACP fancies pursuing the road of anti-regional conservatism, that is something they will have to answer for with the voters and their members, including the Attorney General.

I on the other hand will do what is in the best interests of the region that elected me, which includes protecting and expanding regional power and authority.

Yes, it's odd for the AG to introduce something so very unconstitutional himself.
I guess we know the C in ACP doesn't stand for Constitution!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2019, 10:42:45 AM »

Well, I think A is very good. As Yankee said, we should try to keep as much stuff in the forum as possible, where it can be seen by everybody.

B I think is based off actual libel laws. Libel is still a crime after all.

I do agree that C might be a bit too broad at this point, but it's not too bad. We should try to be friendly to each other after all.

As for the legislative sessions being on Discord, you have to keep in mind that there are people who don't have Discord or don't want to use it. No one should be forced to use the Discord to take part in discussions in Congress.

This should also apply to the regional legislatures in my opinion, but I am very conflicted on this point. I also want to keep power in the regions wherever possible.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »

Well, I think A is very good. As Yankee said, we should try to keep as much stuff in the forum as possible, where it can be seen by everybody.

I do agree that C might be a bit too broad at this point, but it's not too bad. We should try to be friendly to each other after all.

As for the legislative sessions being on Discord, you have to keep in mind that there are people who don't have Discord or don't want to use it. No one should be forced to use the Discord to take part in discussions in Congress.

This should also apply to the regional legislatures in my opinion, but I am very conflicted on this point. I also want to keep power in the regions wherever possible.
Sure, but to outlaw it completely is so reactionary.
Again, we hold the tenet of free speech here. You can pretty much say as you please (bar making massive personal attacks and posting atlas pms) on the AFE board, why not on discord? Also, people aren't making note on here that you can either block someone on discord (same as here on AFE) and block them from sending you dm's, and in terms of servers like lokcord, the mods crack down on personal attacks and such. No need to attempt to codify it.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2019, 08:18:30 PM »

Actual Libel laws are far more complex, and would include full definitions of terms like "knowingly false" directly in the text.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »

The amendment S17:07  is adopted. I will be offering my amendment once the full update of the Senate has been completed.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2019, 11:37:14 PM »

reeeeee it'd be better just to table this altogether and start over from scratch
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 12:11:53 AM »

reeeeee it'd be better just to table this altogether and start over from scratch

Do you Texans ever calm down? Go drink some beer or whatever you guys do to chill. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 12:15:18 AM »

Quote from: Current Text
SENATE BILL
To resolve leaking from private chats and harassment on off-site chat rooms

Off-site chat rooms Regulations Bill
1. Off-site Crimes
A:Conducting official business on off-site chat rooms- This crime shall be considered the conducting or taking part of a formal votes and making of formal motions by any regional assembly or the federal senate or federal  house. Any legislative business conducted by the previous mentioned assembles  shall be considered null and void if done on off-site chat rooms.
B. Spreading liable speech about another Atlasia citizen on off-site chat rooms-  This crime shall be considered the spreading of knowingly false information about a registered Atlasian to at least one other registered Atlasia citizen.
C.Harassment of other Atlasian citizens on off-site chat rooms- This shall be known as the public posting of vulgar or threatening remarks directed or about another Atlasian citizen.

2.Criminal liability and sentencing procedures- The above crimes shall be tried the same way  as Crimes against Atlasia. The above crimes shall have a maximum sentence of a 1 year voting ban and a 1 year ban on holding office.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 12:17:07 AM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
SENATE BILL

1. Off-site Crimes
A:Conducting official business on off-site chat rooms- This crime shall be considered the conducting or taking part of a formal votes and making of formal motions by any regional assembly or the federal senate or federal  house. Any legislative business conducted by the previous mentioned assembles  shall be considered null and void if done on off-site chat rooms.
BA Spreading liable speech about another Atlasia citizen on off-site chat rooms-  This crime shall be considered the spreading of knowingly false information about a registered Atlasian to at least one other registered Atlasia citizen.
CB.Harassment of other Atlasian citizens on off-site chat rooms- This shall be known as the public posting of vulgar or threatening remarks directed or about another Atlasian citizen.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 12:23:59 AM »

Quote from: Amendment S17:09 by NC Yankee
SENATE BILL

1. Off-site Crimes
BA Spreading liable speech about another Atlasia citizen on off-site chat rooms-  This crime shall be considered the spreading of knowingly false information about a registered Atlasian to at least one other registered Atlasia citizen.
CB.Harassment of other Atlasian citizens on off-site chat rooms- This shall be known as the public posting of vulgar or threatening remarks directed or about another Atlasian citizen.

Sponsor Feedback: Origination

Okay this is the first of two amendments that will address the situation with the chamber rules, and remove that of the regional legislatures since that both are presently in violation of the constitution as the bill is written. I may go ahead and post the other one, but I cannot proceed with processing it/calling 24 hours etc until the first one is adopted.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 12:37:37 AM »

I still oppose this but if it has to pass, shouldn't it be "libelous"? Liable means like....you are liable to do such and such. Libelous is what you are looking for if you are referring to the word libel just fyi
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 12:40:29 AM »

Also does this mean I can spread rumors freely on facebook about other atlasians and then post the screenshot of that on here? Same with Twitter Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2019, 12:44:02 AM »

Quote from: Amendment to Come Later
SENATE BILL RESOLUTION

Off-Site Chat Rooms Regulations Bill
1. Off-site Crimes
A. Spreading liable speech about another Atlasia citizen on off-site chat rooms-  This crime shall be considered the spreading of knowingly false information about a registered Atlasian to at least one other registered Atlasia citizen.

B.Harassment of other Atlasian citizens on off-site chat rooms- This shall be known as the public posting of vulgar or threatening remarks directed or about another Atlasian citizen.

3. This bill shall take effect immediately upon passage. For this bill to be effective all components of the Resolution in which is a part must also be passed.

People's Regional Senate

People's House of Representatives

Be it resolved in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,
Senate Off-site Procedures Rules Resolution

Article 9, Clause 2 of the Senate rules shall read as follows:
2) All proceedings save for when in Joint Session, must be conducted on the Atlas Fantasy Government Board.

People's Regional Senate

Be it resolved in the Atlasian House Assembled,
House Off-site Procedures Rules Resolution

Article 9, Clause 3 of the House rules shall read as follows:
3) All proceedings save for when in Joint Session, must be conducted on the Atlas Fantasy Government Board.

People's House of Representatives

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2019, 12:51:51 AM »

The above soon to be amendment is the only constitutional way in which to address offsite procedural actions by the chambers
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2019, 02:54:05 PM »

Amendment S17:09 is adopted. I know offer the second text.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2019, 04:38:59 PM »

So now we will need to vote in a separate resolution? (and the House as well)

Seems complicated, but if it's the only way forwards, I will support it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2019, 04:44:39 PM »

So now we will need to vote in a separate resolution? (and the House as well)

Seems complicated, but if it's the only way forwards, I will support it.

No, there is just one vote, but it is applied independently to each section, and only to the relevant sections.

Thus the House won't be voting on the Senate's rules and the Senate won't be voting on the House rules.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies