SENATE BILL: Region Moving Grace Period Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:59:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Region Moving Grace Period Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Region Moving Grace Period Act (Passed)  (Read 1125 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2019, 06:08:00 PM »
« edited: April 08, 2019, 11:33:47 PM by Lumine »

SENATE BILL

to give players moving to other regions a grace period when changing regions.

Be it enacted by both houses of Congress assembled:

SECTION I. NAME.
1. This Act may be cited as the Region Moving Grace Period Act.

SEC. II. THE GRACE PERIOD.
1. Section 14 of the Federal Electoral Act (F.L. 1-9) is amended by adding the following sections and renumbering accordingly:
4. Upon voluntary deregistration, a person may not be allowed to register again until 168 hours have passed and, unless they were resident in their region of residence and/or deregistered for the previous 180 days  may not register in another region.
5. Congress, by a 2/3rds vote in each chamber, may unilaterally suspend Section 14 clause 3 in times of an emergency. For the purposes of this act, an emergency shall be defined as any event that leaves a significant vacuum in a regional government and/or legislature.
6. When a person changes regions, he or she shall have a 24 hour grace period where he may be allowed to return to his original region. If said person returns to his original region, the 180 day long restriction against registering in other regions will not apply. However, this person will not be able to change regions again for a period of 15 days starting from the return to the original region.

SEC. III. IMPLEMENTATION.
1. This Act shall take effect immediately upon its passage.
2. No provisions of this Act shall be applied retroactively.

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor: Tack50
Senate Designation: SB 9021
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 06:08:56 PM »

The sponsor has 24 hours to commence and advocacy for this.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2019, 06:27:45 PM by tack50 »

Thank you!

As you are all aware of, there is now a big debate regarding Ben Kenobi's controversial move to Fremont, where he quickly edited but the Registrar general has ruled that Ben Kenobi is now a Fremont citizen as opposed to a Southern one.

While I am of the opinion that Ben Kenobi is now stuck in Fremont no matter what (barring the RG chaning her mind before the next census), this bill attempts to stop any further events like this by giving people a 24 hour period to return to their original region if they made a mistake. To prevent possible abuses, a return to the original region is followed by a 15 day lock where they have to stay there.

I also considered rendering any ballots cast during the grace period invalid, but I think that is something that our current federal laws already cover for federal elections while regional elections are handled by regional governments.

Also, in order to stop unjustified applications of the emergency clause, this bill adds a definition of what is an emergency, which is a vacuum in a regional legislature or government. So under this definition Ben Kenobi (or any other citizen) would have been allowed to move to save Fremont when it was completely without a government, or Lincoln when the Assembly vanished. But not to move freely.

This might make things a bit more complicated for the Registrar general but I think this is a good bill that will stop any future events like this.

Worth noting that as per Section III, point 2; this bill will not apply to Ben Kenobi himself (not like I think we could pass it before his grace period expires).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 06:33:37 PM »

My only concern with this approach is that it opens the door for discord bullying and harrassment to get people to move back before the grace period expires.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 06:50:14 PM »

This act shall take effect March 18, 2019 ...
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 09:04:56 PM »

Section 6 is good theory, if perhaps a little rough in execution. The addendum to Section 5 is emblematic of a larger and profoundly negative trend of trying to legislate for every possible minor abuse of power (rather than encouraging responsibility on the part of lawmakers) and should be incinerated.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 10:11:17 PM »

Section 6 is good theory, if perhaps a little rough in execution. The addendum to Section 5 is emblematic of a larger and profoundly negative trend of trying to legislate for every possible minor abuse of power (rather than encouraging responsibility on the part of lawmakers) and should be incinerated.

Could we perhaps get a more concise wording from such an esteemed constitutional expert as yourself for section 6? Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 03:18:55 PM »

Come on Truman, do you ignore PMs on purpose?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »

Just noticed a minor grammar error in the bill, so here's an ammendment to fix it:

SENATE BILL

SECTION I. NAME.

1. Section 14 of the Federal Electoral Act (F.L. 1-9) is amended by adding the following sections and renumbering accordingly:
4. Upon voluntary deregistration, a person may not be allowed to register again until 168 hours have passed and, unless they were resident in their region of residence and/or deregistered for the previous 180 days  may not register in another region.
5. Congress, by a 2/3rds vote in each chamber, may unilaterally suspend Section 14 clause 3 in times of an emergency. For the purposes of this act, an emergency shall be defined as any event that leaves a significant vacuum in a regional government and/or legislature.
6. When a person changes regions, he or she shall have a 24 hour grace period where he they may be allowed to return to his original region. If said person returns to his original region, the 180 day long restriction against registering in other regions will not apply. However, this person will not be able to change regions again for a period of 15 days starting from the return to the original region.

People's Regional Senate
Pending

I'm still not sure if this wording is gramatically correct or not so feel free to correct me and if you notice any other grammar/spelling mistakes, tell us! (or present an ammendment to correct them.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »

Nah, I just have too many pots in the fire.

For §6 I'd say something like
Changes to a voter's region of registration shall take effect twenty-four (24) hours after their posting in the New Register Thread; and the voter may reverse the change at any time before this period has elapsed.

Personally, I think the penalty on further region changes imposed by the current version of §6 is bad, but if you really want to keep if you could add "Having made such a reversal, no voter shall change their region of registration until three hundred sixty (360) hours have elapsed" to the above.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
SENATE BILL

SECTION I. NAME.

4. Upon voluntary deregistration, a person may not be allowed to register again until 168 hours have passed and, unless they were resident in their region of residence and/or deregistered for the previous 180 days  may not register in another region.
6. Changes to a voter's region of registration shall take effect twenty-four (24) hours after their posting in the New Register Thread; and the voter may reverse the change at any time before this period has elapsed. Having made such a reversal, no voter shall change their region of registration until three hundred sixty (360) hours have elapsed.

People's Regional Senate
Pending
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 12:25:30 AM »

Quote from: Amendment S17:11 by Tack
SENATE BILL

SECTION I. NAME.

6. When a person changes regions, he or she shall have a 24 hour grace period where he they may be allowed to return to his original region. If said person returns to his original region, the 180 day long restriction against registering in other regions will not apply. However, this person will not be able to change regions again for a period of 15 days starting from the return to the original region.

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:36:32 PM »

I support this bill and urge its passage, although if I was writing it I would also give one free move to Ben Kenobi.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 06:43:06 AM »

Nah, I just have too many pots in the fire.

For §6 I'd say something like
Changes to a voter's region of registration shall take effect twenty-four (24) hours after their posting in the New Register Thread; and the voter may reverse the change at any time before this period has elapsed.

Personally, I think the penalty on further region changes imposed by the current version of §6 is bad, but if you really want to keep if you could add "Having made such a reversal, no voter shall change their region of registration until three hundred sixty (360) hours have elapsed" to the above.

I am personally in favour of a small 2 week lock in order to prevent abuses and discourage people cancelling their moves. The wording you have proposed is probably better than the one currently in the bill though.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 02:48:06 PM »

S17:11 has been adopted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »

Quote from: Amendment S17:12 by NC Yankee for Truman
SENATE BILL

SECTION I. NAME.

6. Changes to a voter's region of registration shall take effect twenty-four (24) hours after their posting in the New Register Thread; and the voter may reverse the change at any time before this period has elapsed. Having made such a reversal, no voter shall change their region of registration until three hundred sixty (360) hours have elapsed.

People's Regional Senate
Pending

Sponsor Feedback: Appears to be Friendly based on last post
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 05:46:18 PM »

To confirm, yes, the ammendment is friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 04:12:08 PM »

The amendment is adopted.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »

I motion for a final vote
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 04:19:33 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 03:28:49 PM »

With no objection having been entered, a final vote is now open on this legislation. Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »

AYE
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99