The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 05:45:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 4  (Read 44524 times)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: June 03, 2019, 05:02:23 PM »

Please unstick this thread.

There is no point in keeping it pinned there, just because of Abrams or Kasich ... (all others are joke candidates).

Joke candidates are fun and good and 40% of the reason why this forum, and indeed democracy, exists.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #301 on: June 06, 2019, 09:23:00 AM »

Abrams asked about 2020, but gives a non-answer about how she's "shifting gears":

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/06/is-that-the-right-fit-stacey-abrams-in-no-rush-to-decide-presidential-run

For months, political media have been reporting that she’s “set to reveal soon whether she’ll run for president”, with various outlets drawing out pros and cons of her possible timelines. But Abrams herself doesn’t seem overly concerned with reaching a verdict.

Until recently, she says her every waking thought revolved around the Georgia governor’s race; and reconsidering her options in the wake of a loss, for her, means careful deliberation.

“I’m shifting gears in a way that is consequential for more than just me – it’s consequential for anyone I ask to support me, for anyone who gives up another job to come and work with me,” she says.

“It’s everyone’s responsibility to make decisions that aren’t driven by satisfying one person’s notion of what you should be, but by fully understanding who you will be when you decide to move forward.”
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #302 on: June 06, 2019, 10:43:19 AM »

I love her but this is annoying. She knows she is not running for President. Stop.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #303 on: June 10, 2019, 08:58:28 AM »

John Kerry previously said that he wasn't ruling anything out re: 2020.  Now says he won't run:

https://news.sky.com/story/john-kerry-rules-himself-out-of-2020-us-presidential-race-11739071

"I was giving it thought at a time when Joe Biden hadn't made up his mind, I wasn't in a rush to have to get into the race then", he said.

"I'm delighted he's in the race as he and I are old friends. I'm hopeful that we're going to wind up with a nominee who will resoundingly be able to help lead the country in a better direction.

"I'm not running; it's not me, that's for sure."
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #304 on: June 10, 2019, 08:51:56 PM »

I love her but this is annoying. She knows she is not running for President. Stop.
She's made me like her less over all these PR stunts.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #305 on: June 10, 2019, 10:42:52 PM »

Amash has quit the Freedom Caucus:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/10/justin-amash-house-freedom-caucus-1359614

There has also been speculation Amash might challenge Trump in 2020 as a libertarian candidate, something he did not rule out a recent town hall.

“I’ve said many times, I don’t rule things like that out,” Amash said. “If you’re fighting to defend the Constitution, if you find a way to do that that’s different and maybe more effective, then you have to think about that.”
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #306 on: June 12, 2019, 04:04:24 PM »

Please unstick this thread.

There is no point in keeping it pinned there, just because of Abrams or Kasich ... (all others are joke candidates).
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #307 on: June 12, 2019, 05:43:13 PM »

Schultz making staff cuts; says he’s still recovering from back surgery, and will have an update after Labor Day:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/448256-schultz-tells-campaign-hes-cutting-staff-amid-hiatus-report

Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, who is considering a 2020 presidential run as an independent, announced staff cuts to his campaign on Wednesday, according to a report from HuffPost.

The outlet, citing a source present at the meeting, reported that Schultz told his campaign team on Wednesday that everybody would be let go except those in senior leadership roles. 

An aide to Schultz would not confirm the layoffs but told The Hill that Schultz "is realigning his team as he moves into the next phase of his exploration."  
"Today, I am feeling much better, and my doctors foresee a full recovery so long as I rest and rehabilitate," Schultz said in a statement. "I have decided to take the summer to do just that."
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #308 on: June 13, 2019, 10:24:55 PM »

As the local WNYer who added Byron Brown to the thread, his announcement will be this week if he is running. Zero to no chance, however, considering he hasn't spoken a word of it locally.

I'd still view him as one of the serious Mayor contenders for VP, though.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #309 on: June 13, 2019, 11:01:18 PM »

I have requested to unsticky this thread, because nobody important will announce to run for at least until September now.

This thread should be replaced with sticked threads of the 1st and 2nd debates in the meantime.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #310 on: June 14, 2019, 10:08:11 AM »

Abrams says she plans to make 2020 decision "soon":

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/stacey-abrams-hasn-t-ruled-out-running-for-president-1.4465361

Former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams said Thursday she has not ruled out running for another political office.

Abrams, who spoke at the Women's E3 Summit at the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, said she has not yet settled on the next steps for her political career.

"I am not being coy when I say that I have not decided what I'm going to do next," said Abrams, the event's keynote speaker. "I'm not going to make a choice because I feel a sense of urgency from others. I'm going to make a choice because it's the right thing to do."

Abrams said she expects to decide soon.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #311 on: June 15, 2019, 10:52:13 PM »

A few more details on Schultz's decision to pause his presidential exploration, possibly for good:

https://www.inquisitr.com/5485060/former-starbucks-ceo-howard-schultz-takes-summer-hiatus-suspends-2020-campaign/

Schultz surprised his staff members earlier this week when he arrived unannounced at his campaign headquarters after months of not showing up. According to a source who was present at the meeting, Schultz then told his staff members of his plans to make summer cuts and his decision to let go of everyone except those in senior leadership positions. It appears very likely that Schultz will suspend his presidential campaign for good, but he has promised to delay the final decision until after Labor Day.
Schultz told his staff members that he was closely watching the presidential campaign of former vice president Joe Biden, whose moderate and centrist views align with his own. The former Starbucks CEO maintained that if Biden didn’t win the Democratic primary, there was every chance that he would re-enter the field after Super Tuesday.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #312 on: June 19, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »

It's June 19th, and Byron Brown hasn't announced a presidential campaign, so he definitely will not be running.  I think this leaves Stacy Abrams and (arguably) Richard Vague as the only potential Democratic candidates who have yet to make a declaration one way or the other. 
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #313 on: June 19, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »

This happened a while ago, but I don't think it was shared here.  The nation's oldest third party selected its presidential ticket for 2020:

On April 14th, a meeting of the Prohibition Party’s national committee was held by conference call. The committee had to select a new presidential ticket following the resignation of its initial presidential candidate, Bill Bayes, on March 30th. The PNC selected Connie (C.L.) Gammon as its new presidential candidate, and Phil Collins as its new vice-presidential candidate.
C.L. Gammon is a writer and historian from Tennessee. He was initially the party’s vice-presidential candidate for 2020, but given the situation stepped to represent the party at the head of the ticket.
Phil Collins is a navy veteran, former township trustee in Illinois, and had come second place in this year’s non-partisan election for mayor of Las Vegas, Nevada.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #314 on: June 23, 2019, 10:00:52 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2019, 11:26:47 AM by Mr. Morden »

This is from last month, but I missed it at the time.  Geoffrey Fieger still not ruling out a presidential run:

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/22282/fieger_for_president_he_doesn_t_rule_it_out

Some of attorney Geoffrey Fieger's TV commercials have included this little tag: "2020 - A Clear Vision for America."

So does that mean Fieger plans to run for president against Donald Trump?

Fieger tells Deadline Detroit that he hasn't ruled out that possibility.

"I don't know after 22 people are in the race," he said Monday, referring to the crowded Democratic field. "I might. I'll have to see."
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #315 on: June 23, 2019, 10:03:25 AM »

This is from last month, but I missed it at the time.  Geoffrey Fieger still not ruling out presidential run:

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/22282/fieger_for_president_he_doesn_t_rule_it_out

Some of attorney Geoffrey Fieger's TV commercials have included this little tag: "2020 - A Clear Vision for America."

So does that mean Fieger plans to run for president against Donald Trump?

Fieger tells Deadline Detroit that he hasn't ruled out that possibility.

"I don't know after 22 people are in the race," he said Monday, referring to the crowded Democratic field. "I might. I'll have to see."

This would be a gamechanger. If he enters, Biden, Sanders and Warren are done!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #316 on: July 02, 2019, 10:25:18 AM »

Abrams says she still might run for president this year, and “the fall” is her decision deadline:

https://www.metro.us/news/the-big-stories/stacey-abrams-on-the-state-our-nation

Q: Many people thought that you would be running. Is there still a possibility? 

Stacey Abrams: It is. No, it's still something I'm considering. I have always said I want to. I think that certainly, the fall is the deadline for making a decision, and that is what I'm looking at. But you know, I will say that I will run if I believe that there is value that I can add to the debate, and add to the contest, and if I believe I can win. But I am incredibly pleased with the caliber and quality of the candidates we have now, which is why I haven't thrown my name into the ring yet.

Kasich also says he still might run, though it’s not something he’s “thinking hard” about:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/john-kasich-i-think-members-of-the-republican-party-are-in-a-coma-right-now/2019/07/01/76cb4ae2-8c87-11e9-8f69-a2795fca3343_story.html

Q: What factors are you considering before you make the final decision?

Kasich: Whether there’s a path. I mean, I don’t have anything to add. I didn’t say anything that is any different than what I’ve been saying for the last year. You know, things are very volatile in this business, and you just cannot predict what might change.
Q: What motivates you to be thinking so hard about running in the first place? What would you do differently from President Trump?

Kasich: Wait, wait, wait, wait a minute. You know, I’m not thinking hard about — look, there’s lots of things that I’m doing. I’m an idea guy. And I’m very interested in what’s happening with our country, what’s happening around the world. I mean, I just finished [reading] a chapter last night, a book by Edith Hamilton called “The Greek Way,” about the battle between the Persians and the Greeks. I now have finished [writing] my fifth book, and this book is going to be very surprising to people because it’s not about politics. I don’t spend my time sitting around thinking about this. I have a lot of things I think about — including the state of my golf game.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #317 on: July 02, 2019, 10:28:53 AM »

When exactly are the IA, NH, NV, SC, CA and TX candidate filing deadlines ?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #318 on: July 02, 2019, 02:51:50 PM »

When exactly are the IA, NH, NV, SC, CA and TX candidate filing deadlines ?

South Carolina's is November 18, 2019.
New Hampshire's is November 22, 2019.
California's is December 6, 2019.
Texas' is December 9, 2019.
Nevada's is January 1, 2020.
Iowa's is January 24, 2020.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #319 on: July 04, 2019, 06:29:57 AM »

Amash has quit the GOP:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/04/politics/justin-amash-leaving-gop/index.html
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #320 on: July 04, 2019, 07:03:46 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2019, 09:09:31 AM by 20PETE20 »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #321 on: July 04, 2019, 03:10:47 PM »

Amash apparently saying he'll run for reelection as an Indy....which isn't by itself a denial of plans to run for prez, but would seem to cast doubt on them:

Meanwhile, here's Mark Cuban's latest on his plans:

https://thelibertarianrepublic.com/political-parties-are-so-1800s-mark-cuban-on-parties-tariffs-ubi/

Q: The question that many have been itching to ask him is whether or not he’s planning to run for President.
Well?
Is he?

Cuban: “If I didn’t have kids, I would.”

Q: When pressed harder, he doubled down.

Cuban: “The very definition of bad parenting is running for President in this political environment.”
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #322 on: July 06, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2019, 09:43:51 AM »

Amash not ruling out a presidential run, despite planning to seek reelection "for the moment":

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/amash-doesnt-rule-out-2020-bid-potentially-complicating-trumps-path-to-reelection/2019/07/07/c8be1314-a0c0-11e9-b732-41a79c2551bf_story.html

“I still wouldn’t rule anything like that out,” Amash said in an interview with CNN’s “State of the Union,” when asked whether he would seek the White House as an independent or a third-party candidate. “I have to use my skills, my public influence, where it serves the country best.”

For the moment, Amash said he plans to run for reelection to the House next year as an independent. He said is he “very confident” that he will win his Grand Rapids-area seat again.

A presidential run is “something people talk about all the time,” Amash told CNN’s Jake Tapper, but it’s “not something on my radar right now.” He added that he does not have a timeline for a decision.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2019, 10:36:17 AM »

These non-committal answers are stupid and lame. Just say you're waiting until you know you can't win re-election in your district and then you'll run for President.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies