2018 Wisconsin governor election results by ward - MUST SEE!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:58:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2018 Wisconsin governor election results by ward - MUST SEE!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2018 Wisconsin governor election results by ward - MUST SEE!  (Read 1691 times)
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:21:49 AM »

This is an incredible ward-by-ward map that a professor at UW-Eau Claire created. It really gives us an in-depth look into election. https://people.uwec.edu/weicherd/
OctoCube
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.54, S: 1.42

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 05:52:17 PM »

It's amazing how much Milwaukee county's outline shows against the WOW counties.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:50:41 PM »

It's amazing how much Milwaukee county's outline shows against the WOW counties.

I know. You can see the Mequon wards bordering River Falls approaching 50% D. Also, I was shocked to see Evers reached 40% in many wards of Ozaukee County, so they're cracking!
walleye26

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 08:10:08 AM »

Not only that, but Evers cracked 40% in a few wards in Menominee Falls in Waukesha County. I can’t figure out how to post a picture on here from a phone, but Evers received 41.7% in ward 6, 40.9% in ward 12, 40.1% in ward 8, and 40.88% in ward 11. Baldwin lost ward 6 by 1 vote, ward 11 by 39 votes, and ward 12 by 5 votes. Incredible.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 12:51:08 PM »

I know. You can see the Mequon wards bordering River Falls approaching 50% D. Also, I was shocked to see Evers reached 40% in many wards of Ozaukee County, so they're cracking!
It's terrifying seeing the Dems collapse in the Driftless and the North like that. If it wasn't for 2018, this would be a solid GOP state.
walleye26

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »
« Edited: March 21, 2019, 01:43:25 PM by walleye26 »

Northern Wisconsin can’t trend much farther R though. There’s a lot of Native Americans in Sawyer, Forest, Ashland, Bayfield, and Vilas Counties. Not only that, there’s a fair number of retired Chicago and Twin Cities liberals up there (see Bass Lake in Sawyer County as an example of this, along with certain wards in Rhinelander).
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 02:00:13 PM »

Northern Wisconsin can’t trend much farther R though. There’s a lot of Native Americans in Sawyer, Forest, Ashland, Bayfield, and Vilas Counties. Not only that, there’s a fair number of retired Chicago and Twin Cities liberals up there (see Bass Lake in Sawyer County as an example of this, along with certain wards in Rhinelander).
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 03:08:56 PM »

Good old Whitewater, a little blue dot in a sea of red.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 03:26:45 PM »

It's terrifying seeing the Dems collapse in the Driftless and the North like that. If it wasn't for 2018, this would be a solid GOP state.

Wisconsin is never going to be a Solid GOP state. sure trends in the rural areas help Republicans, but trends in the opposite direction in WOW and Milwaukee/Madison help Democrats.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 03:45:19 PM »

Wisconsin is never going to be a Solid GOP state. sure trends in the rural areas help Republicans, but trends in the opposite direction in WOW and Milwaukee/Madison help Democrats.

Shhhhh.....don't tell Atlas that!
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 05:58:12 PM »

You must not have seen the 2016 trends. Furthermore, the legislature is long gone for the Dems. The former trend is going much quicker than the latter. What's the point of gaining a vote in uber-safe Milwauke when one is losing 2 votes in swing districts for the legislature?
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 06:43:47 PM »

Didn't you just say that 2018 was basically a one-off? If so how can you simultaneously accept 2016 trends but say that other than 2018 Wisconsin is a red state?

Furthermore, the legislature is long gone for the Dems.

Due to gerrymandering, not due to actual widespread rejection of the Democratic Party. Baldwin still won WI by over 10 points in a statewide vote.

The former trend is going much quicker than the latter. What's the point of gaining a vote in uber-safe Milwauke when one is losing 2 votes in swing districts for the legislature?

Okay but both trends both have saturation points and aren't going to continue indefinitely. WOW flipping started later than upstate flipping the opposite direction but there it's likely that in the long run the two dynamics will more or less cancel each other out and the state starts to look politically like most other states.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 08:13:10 PM »

Didn't you just say that 2018 was basically a one-off? If so how can you simultaneously accept 2016 trends but say that other than 2018 Wisconsin is a red state?

Due to gerrymandering, not due to actual widespread rejection of the Democratic Party. Baldwin still won WI by over 10 points in a statewide vote.

The former trend is going much quicker than the latter. What's the point of gaining a vote in uber-safe Milwauke when one is losing 2 votes in swing districts for the legislature?

Okay but both trends both have saturation points and aren't going to continue indefinitely. WOW flipping started later than upstate flipping the opposite direction but there it's likely that in the long run the two dynamics will more or less cancel each other out and the state starts to look politically like most other states.
Midterms are odd beasts, but presidential is the one that best captures the pulse of a state. Furthermore, due to packing and not caring about the rurals, Dems will be in a hole regardless of gerrymandering
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 11:34:11 PM »

Midterms are odd beasts, but presidential is the one that best captures the pulse of a state. Furthermore, due to packing and not caring about the rurals, Dems will be in a hole regardless of gerrymandering

Your jokes are getting tiresome and pathetic. How long will you keep this up? You don't even live in Wisconsin to know where the people ideologically stand on many issues.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 12:15:04 AM »

Your jokes are getting tiresome and pathetic. How long will you keep this up? You don't even live in Wisconsin to know where the people ideologically stand on many issues.
Feel free to come back to me when Wisconsin trends (not just swings) D in 2020 as well as the legislature flipping back to the Dems. Until then, I'm right.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 01:04:16 AM »

Feel free to come back to me when Wisconsin trends (not just swings) D in 2020 as well as the legislature flipping back to the Dems. Until then, I'm right.

I would consider winning the overall legislative vote by 5 proof that Democrats only lost it due to gerrymandering. And just because there support was more consolidated than previously doesn't make it any less important.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 01:06:49 AM »

No, a packed voter composition is bad because not even a fair map can save the Dems in that scenario. Rurals are still important. 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 06:27:04 AM »

You don't need rural areas to win a non-gerrymandered map if winning the popular vote strong enough even if there's packed voters. The DFL won back the State House  in 2018 and only one of the seats they picked up was rural.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 08:56:18 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2019, 09:12:33 AM by Gass3268 »

You don't need rural areas to win a non-gerrymandered map if winning the popular vote strong enough even if there's packed voters. The DFL won back the State House  in 2018 and only one of the seats they picked up was rural.

The Twin City suburbs and the Milwaukee suburbs are completely different animals. That being said, Democrats would probably pick up about 10-12 seats in Wisconsin if the map was drawn fair (1 in Kenosha/Racine, 3-4 in Milwaukee County, 1 in the City of Sheboygan, 1 in Green Bay, 1 in the Fox Cities, 1 in Dane County, 1 in Columbia County, 1-2 in SW WI). Probably not enough to flip the chamber, but definitely enough to make things competitive. I'll have to come up with a fair map this weekend.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »

You guys would have better luck convincing Trump that immigrants are good people than convincing hofoid that Wisconsin isn't permanently Titanium R.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »

You guys would have better luck convincing Trump that immigrants are good people than convincing hofoid that Wisconsin isn't permanently Titanium R.

Yes I thought I would try approaching him in good faith but if he's going to hold up winning an incredibly gerrymandered map, where Dems have won the popular vote but still not come close to a majority, as a standard for success then he's obviously full of garbage.

That on top of saying that midterms aren't representative of greater trends at all and that only Presidential years matter... while exactly one Republican Presidential candidate has won Wisconsin since the 80s. I'm not sure why people take joy in being intellectually dishonest on an insignificant board like this.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »

One thing that's fascinating about Wisconsin election results at the ward level is seeing the regional differences break through county boundaries. Examples being the east/west divide in Jefferson County between Dane (west) and Waukesha (east) and the counties surrounding Madison where the townships bordering or most near Dane are Democratic but the ones most away are Republican. There's also areas of Dodge/Fond du Lac/Sheboygan that act as an extension of Washington County rather than voting like the county as a whole.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 11:39:09 AM »

One thing that's fascinating about Wisconsin election results at the ward level is seeing the regional differences break through county boundaries. Examples being the east/west divide in Jefferson County between Dane (west) and Waukesha (east) and the counties surrounding Madison where the townships bordering or most near Dane are Democratic but the ones most away are Republican. There's also areas of Dodge/Fond du Lac/Sheboygan that act as an extension of Washington County rather than voting like the county as a whole.

Heavily Dutch Reformed and Protestant German areas, the backbone of the Republican strength in the rurals.
walleye26

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 06:06:59 PM »

Heavily Dutch Reformed and Protestant German areas, the backbone of the Republican strength in the rurals.

I’ve spent a lot of time in Sheboygan and Fond du Lac Counties. Southern Sheboygan county contains many exurban Milwaukee commuters and votes Titanium R especially in villages like Oostburg, Waldo, and Cedar Grove. In eastern Fond du Lac and western Sheboygan Counties, there’s a region called “The Holyland” The was settled by German Catholic/Protestants in the 1840s. This is the area around Mt. Calvary, St Cloud, and Marytown. Very Republican Area. I can’t figure out how to post the pictures here, but very old, beautiful churches are located in the Holyland.

Also, how can I post photos from my phone on here?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2019, 10:33:20 PM »

Based on the 2018 State Assembly results, the tipping point district was District 29, which the Republicans won by a margin of 12.12%, therefore Democrats would have needed to win the statewide popular vote by a margin of 20.36% to win a majority of seats. That's an insanely effective gerrymander and is no accident.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies