Jared Kushner reportedly has galaxy-brain level solution to Middle East peace
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:52:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Jared Kushner reportedly has galaxy-brain level solution to Middle East peace
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Jared Kushner reportedly has galaxy-brain level solution to Middle East peace  (Read 927 times)
Turst
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 08:57:55 AM »

What on earth is this proposal?

It's like the Alsace-Lorraine mess post-WW1. Seriously, this kind of mix and match land exchange only leads to further grievances as people find themselves dropped in new countries.

Look at Europe post WW1, post WW2. Look at basically any territory the British Empire ceded back to local control. Look at the India-Pakistan border, with its enclaves, and enclaves within enclaves.

Borders are incredibly emotive, and whenever someone (usually a drunk British aristocrat) draws new lines on a map to curry political favour, people divide into new factions, and lives are lost.

The idea of dragging countries in the Middle-East, perhaps the most volatile region on earth, into a border dispute is unfathomably nerve-wracking.

Wasn't it a Western plan that screwed up the Middle East in the first place?

That was the Sykes-Picot agreement where the British and the French split up the middle east into spheres of influence after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. That agreement ignored ethnic lines and created a lot of conflict in that region.

That's the one.

God, the West has a brilliant track record in the ME.

I know, the west has a clear history of making straight sexy borders wherever it goes to imperialize
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 01:28:12 PM »

Um...the Saudi land bordering Jordan is open desert.

I'm sure Jordan would gladly exchange its most valuable land for a patch of desert.

Jordan has its own issues with Palestinians. They might favor such a trade. It’s the Egypt part that I don’t understand.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies