LC 1.16 Right To Work Repeal Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:27:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 1.16 Right To Work Repeal Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LC 1.16 Right To Work Repeal Act  (Read 1028 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 27, 2019, 12:09:28 PM »

Let's get started!

Right To Work Repeal Act

to protect the growth and longevity of labor unions and an organized workforce

Section I

1. The Right to Work Act (L 14.3) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

Section II

2. No law or proviso established by act of the Lincoln Council shall prevent employers from requiring the payment of dues for the purpose of collective bargaining to a labor union as a condition for employment. Each individual member may opt out of having their dues payments used for political or lobbying purposes. All relevant regional statutes are amended accordingly.

Section III

3. This act takes effect immediately upon signing by the governor.

Sponsor: Pyro

Debate time starts now

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:10:47 PM »

I am absolutely opposed to right to work repeal for leaching public unions. I am open to a compromise situation where Right to Work is repealed for private unions/private companies along with banning or limiting public union strikes.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 05:35:34 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I bring forward this measure as a simple means for Lincoln to ensure we stand as a stalwart defender of collective bargaining rights and, at the very least, for laborers to have a fair shake. "Right to Work" is the epitome of a poisoned chalice: a phrase that may sound pleasant but in effect contains the potential to cripple our working class.

First, regarding present statute. Workers in Atlasia have a guaranteed right to form and work alongside a labor union through the POWER Act. The POWER Act also stipulates the following in Sec 4-2, that "Unions shall decide whether or not those who do not pay dues for union representation can receive the benefits of the union." Lincoln's aforementioned "Right to Work" law mandates, "No employee shall be compelled as a condition of employment to join or associate with any union."

It is fair to assume that most sensible unions would not wish to represent a non-dues paying worker as doing so serves no tangible benefit to the organization and siphons its funds. A worker unwilling to join his/her recognized company union will not have his/herself represented by said union in negotiations. The opposing side may argue that this is the purpose of Sec 4-2, that is, protecting labor unions from the destructive nature of "Right to Work." However, on the contrary, the toxic mixture of these two policies harms both union and non-union households.

Since the passage of "Right to Work" in Lincoln, we have encountered a rise in workplaces containing two disparate classes of workers with neither benefiting from the situation created by this legislation. Agency shops having been outlawed has halted the ease of 'single contract negotiation', meaning the entire workforce is no longer set under the same basic guidelines and agreements stipulated in a contract. Now we have one class of union workers operating under their agreed upon pay-scale, benefits, etc and a class of non-union workers operating under the company's chosen arrangement - all under the same company roof.

Aside from its blatant inequality, our present circumstance as highlighted above is an incredibly unhealthy arrangement for one simple reason. It favors private enterprise above the labor union.

Consider that in any given former agency shop, a union may have retained 50% membership. Now, should it come time for the union to renegotiate its labor contract with the shop owner(s), the union will have lost substantial footing on the negotiating table as it now represents a mere fraction of the workers. It stands to reason that the shop will not agree to terms as they once were. Salaries and wages will be slashed and benefits will be reduced. Why, then, would a non-union worker even consider joining with a now-declining organization? Follow this slope to its logical end and we have hemorrhaged wages, the disappearance of pensions and a solid win for the owners at the expense of workers.

The short and sweet of the matter is that "Right to Work" cannot function in Atlasia without forsaking the interests of its workforce.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 06:11:12 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

I bring forward this measure as a simple means for Lincoln to ensure we stand as a stalwart defender of collective bargaining rights and, at the very least, for laborers to have a fair shake. "Right to Work" is the epitome of a poisoned chalice: a phrase that may sound pleasant but in effect contains the potential to cripple our working class.

First, regarding present statute. Workers in Atlasia have a guaranteed right to form and work alongside a labor union through the POWER Act. The POWER Act also stipulates the following in Sec 4-2, that "Unions shall decide whether or not those who do not pay dues for union representation can receive the benefits of the union." Lincoln's aforementioned "Right to Work" law mandates, "No employee shall be compelled as a condition of employment to join or associate with any union."

It is fair to assume that most sensible unions would not wish to represent a non-dues paying worker as doing so serves no tangible benefit to the organization and siphons its funds. A worker unwilling to join his/her recognized company union will not have his/herself represented by said union in negotiations. The opposing side may argue that this is the purpose of Sec 4-2, that is, protecting labor unions from the destructive nature of "Right to Work." However, on the contrary, the toxic mixture of these two policies harms both union and non-union households.

Since the passage of "Right to Work" in Lincoln, we have encountered a rise in workplaces containing two disparate classes of workers with neither benefiting from the situation created by this legislation. Agency shops having been outlawed has halted the ease of 'single contract negotiation', meaning the entire workforce is no longer set under the same basic guidelines and agreements stipulated in a contract. Now we have one class of union workers operating under their agreed upon pay-scale, benefits, etc and a class of non-union workers operating under the company's chosen arrangement - all under the same company roof.

Aside from its blatant inequality, our present circumstance as highlighted above is an incredibly unhealthy arrangement for one simple reason. It favors private enterprise above the labor union.

Consider that in any given former agency shop, a union may have retained 50% membership. Now, should it come time for the union to renegotiate its labor contract with the shop owner(s), the union will have lost substantial footing on the negotiating table as it now represents a mere fraction of the workers. It stands to reason that the shop will not agree to terms as they once were. Salaries and wages will be slashed and benefits will be reduced. Why, then, would a non-union worker even consider joining with a now-declining organization? Follow this slope to its logical end and we have hemorrhaged wages, the disappearance of pensions and a solid win for the owners at the expense of workers.

The short and sweet of the matter is that "Right to Work" cannot function in Atlasia without forsaking the interests of its workforce.

Again I have stated I am not opposed to a repeal for private unions provided the right can get a concession on something like Public unions having restrictions on strike access.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 12:47:54 PM »

It appears as though there is no further debate.
I motion for a final vote.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 07:27:44 PM »

Let's get started!

Right To Work Repeal Act

Section I

1. The Right to Work Act (L 14.3)applying to private companies is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

Section II

2. No law or proviso established by act of the Lincoln Council shall prevent privat employers from requiring the payment of dues for the purpose of collective bargaining to a labor union as a condition for employment. Each individual member may opt out of having their dues payments used for political or lobbying purposes. All relevant regional statutes are amended accordingly.

Section III

Section IV

4.Public Unions are required to give a 2 month notice before any strike otherwise they may be disbanded. Public Unions are also not affected by the repeal of the right to work.

Section V
6. An Anti corruption department will be created to investigate any corruption in any public unions which include but are not limited to teachers,police,firefighters,prison guard, etc.

I propose this  amendment
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:31:27 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I move for Cloture.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 07:35:03 PM »

Mr. Speaker, I move for Cloture.

the amendment?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 07:47:04 PM »

I proposed a final vote 24 hours ago.
With all due respect, you can't ignore that and propose an amendment.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »

Indeed, the Speaker should have opened a final vote 8 hours ago. Pyro moved for a final vote, and there were no objections within 24 hours.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 10:19:58 PM »

There should be a vote open on Pyro's original bill by now (i.e, not the amendment). Additionally, you can't just vote on an amendment without having the original sponsor's input.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »

I will open a final vote due to the chancellors motion

Nay
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 10:30:31 PM »

Aye
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 10:35:27 PM »

AYE
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »

Aye
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2019, 10:52:31 PM »

with a vote of 3-1-1 it passes.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 04:23:23 AM »

tfw Lincoln supports extortion.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 06:06:11 AM »

Tfw the same people who just complained that the Speaker holds votes too fast without debate demand that no amendments to a contentious bill be debated at all so that a retarded bill can be rammed through without any input. Once again Lincoln's pathetic government structure stands out.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 06:35:50 AM »

Tfw the same people who just complained that the Speaker holds votes too fast without debate demand that no amendments to a contentious bill be debated at all so that a retarded bill can be rammed through without any input. Once again Lincoln's pathetic government structure stands out.

Reactionary, while I value your contributions on a lot of issues, I do feel like you're wrong here. I would ask the same decency be extended to all legislators, not just a select group. The fact of the matter is that there was time for Lfromnj to propose his Amendment, there was a motion for a final vote on the floor, the parliamentary procedure was literally on its last legs before Lfromnj proposed his amendment. The time for debate and objections had elapsed, and we cannot criticize some lapses in parliamentary procedure while encouraging others.

Anyway, I will sign this soon.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 07:00:37 AM »

tfw the Governor of Lincoln supports extortion.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 07:32:48 AM »

Right To Work Repeal Act

Section I

1. The Right to Work Act (L 14.3) is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

Section II

2. No law or proviso established by act of the Lincoln Council shall prevent employers from requiring the payment of dues for the purpose of collective bargaining to a labor union as a condition for employment. Each individual member may opt out of having their dues payments used for political or lobbying purposes. All relevant regional statutes are amended accordingly.

Section III

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 12:31:19 PM »

Reactionary, while I value your contributions on a lot of issues, I do feel like you're wrong here. I would ask the same decency be extended to all legislators, not just a select group. The fact of the matter is that there was time for Lfromnj to propose his Amendment, there was a motion for a final vote on the floor, the parliamentary procedure was literally on its last legs before Lfromnj proposed his amendment. The time for debate and objections had elapsed, and we cannot criticize some lapses in parliamentary procedure while encouraging others.

Anyway, I will sign this soon.

Floor leaders can be flexible with the application of the rules since this is just a game and we tend to prefer debate to no debate. Despite hating the 3D guns bill introduced last year I deliberately held the final vote open on that bill for over a week to try and get a quorum rather than just mechanically rule that 72 hrs had elapsed without a quorum. Was there really a need to rush this through? I  mean there are like 12 big bills already written that I hope will be on the floor in Lincoln soon, but only 2 have been posted in the legislative thread at this time and its not like there are related major deadlines.

At the very least I hope that the amendment language will be considered in another bill. Considering it appeared that a legislator wanted to rush through a cloture vote rather than even letting the amendment be acknowledged (which is not the same as merely pointing out that the previousmotion had matured), I would hope a similar amendment in a future bill won't be ignored.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies