FT 10-22: Resolution on SB 9010 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:51:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 10-22: Resolution on SB 9010 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FT 10-22: Resolution on SB 9010 (Passed)  (Read 1875 times)
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »
« edited: March 30, 2019, 02:35:29 PM by Esteemed Speaker Jimmy7812 »

A RESOLUTION
That this chamber voices its matter on SB 9010.
Whereas, the Senate is voting on SB 9010: Fulfilling Railway Promises Act.
Whereas, X.
Resolved, Y.

Parliament of the Commonwealth of Fremont
Passed

Sponsor: YE
Designation: FT 10-22
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 04:07:26 PM »

FT 10-22 is now on the floor. Debate on this resolution has begun and shall last for no less than 72 hours.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:59:06 AM »

Solve for Y
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 07:08:02 AM »

Yeah, this is a bit........ lacking on the details, to say the least.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »

Yeah, this is a bit........ lacking on the details, to say the least.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 06:12:38 PM »

While approval from this parliament is not required, it is my wish that the bill involving this resolution is also supported by the government of Fremont, as I do not intend to pass it against the will of the regional government.

If this resolution is against said bill, I will formally ask the House to vote against it when it goes there; or if it's passed I might consider a repeal.

Similarly, if the resolution is in favour of the bill I will do my best to convince the House and the president to pass it.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 06:20:23 PM »
« Edited: March 22, 2019, 09:07:10 PM by Chairman YE »

Basically, do you guys approve of SB 9010 or no? I am not a member of this body so it's not up for me to decide but y'all should discuss this.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 09:04:46 PM »

Basically, do you guys approve ofSB 9010 or no? I am not a member of this body so it's not up for me to decide but y'all should discuss this.
I mean is the purpose of this to share costs between the Federal and Regional government? I don't get the point of wasting time with a do-nothing resolution on this, but Fremont can Fremont. Tongue
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 10:27:10 PM »

This resolution is completely useless. This legislation is solely the domain of the federal government, it is already being voted on in the Senate, and has nothing to do with Fremont. The opinions of this Parliament are of no importance with regards to this bill.

I motion that this bill be tabled. Do I have a seconder?
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 10:28:52 PM »

This resolution is completely useless. This legislation is solely the domain of the federal government, it is already being voted on in the Senate, and has nothing to do with Fremont. The opinions of this Parliament are of no importance with regards to this bill.

I second the motion.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »

A creation for a railway line from Montana to Thunder Bay has nothing to do with Fremont? Is today Opposite Day?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 10:32:04 PM »

A creation for a railway line from Montana to Thunder Bay has nothing to do with Fremont? Is today Opposite Day?

Nothing is being built. The Federal government is merely paying a company to run a train down already existing tracks. This is being paid for solely by the federal government.
The government of Fremont has nothing whatsoever to do with this Senate Bill.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 10:32:43 PM »

With a proposer and a seconder for the motion for tabling, I ask that the Speaker please now open a vote on tabling this legislation.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 10:36:00 PM »

Nothing is being built. The Federal government is merely paying a company to run a train down already existing tracks. This is being paid for solely by the federal government.

Ok, I stand corrected on that bit.

Why was consultation with the Fremont government brought up during the Senate debate thread then?

Not to mention we’re kind of short on bills so the desire to table sh**t seems a bit interesting.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 10:41:33 PM »

Why was consultation with the Fremont government brought up during the Senate debate thread then?

Not to mention we’re kind of short on bills so the desire to table sh**t seems a bit interesting.

We have your healthcare bill which we didn't want to vote on yet because there was more to be debated. And once again we have had a week with no debate whatsoever on that bill. Maybe we should focus on that, rather than wasting time on useless legislation
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »

We have your healthcare bill which we didn't want to vote on yet because there was more to be debated. And once again we have had a week with no debate whatsoever on that bill. Maybe we should focus on that, rather than wasting time on useless legislation

What does my healthcare bill, which I’v been trying get the ball rolling on, have to do with this? Why can’t we debate both?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »

I PMed YE and both our senators for their opinion on the railway and didn't receive any responses, so I would like input from other members of the Fremont government.

In my opinion, the bill would be of more benefit to Canada than Fremont and the cities of Whitefish, and especially Shelby, MT, are too small for the region to benefit and therefore we would likely be hit with a loss if we were to agree to fund it.  There is also no set amount for how much we would need to shell out for this project and so Parliament would have to approve those funds at a later time.  So for those reasons, I lean opposed to SB 9010.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 12:07:44 PM »

I PMed YE and both our senators for their opinion on the railway and didn't receive any responses, so I would like input from other members of the Fremont government.

In my opinion, the bill would be of more benefit to Canada than Fremont and the cities of Whitefish, and especially Shelby, MT, are too small for the region to benefit and therefore we would likely be hit with a loss if we were to agree to fund it.  There is also no set amount for how much we would need to shell out for this project and so Parliament would have to approve those funds at a later time.  So for those reasons, I lean opposed to SB 9010.

For what's worth, I decided to extend the line all the way up to Seattle. That was already a possibility, but made it a mandate instead in the ammendment. (otherwise the route wouldn't make sense). I think the Seattle-Calgary part would see decent traffic, as well as the parts of the line in Canada up to Winnipeg.

The only part of the line that I could see bleeding money is anything further east than Winnipeg, but that would be in Canada anyways.

Of course, the resolution could end up being meaningless as the vote in the Senate right now is 2-2 (with Devout Centrist abstaining and Sen. ON Progressive not having voted yet). So either ON Progressive (who represents Fremont in the Senate) or Vice President Lumine (a Fremont citizen) will break up the tie.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 12:30:11 PM »

For what's worth, I decided to extend the line all the way up to Seattle. That was already a possibility, but made it a mandate instead in the ammendment. (otherwise the route wouldn't make sense). I think the Seattle-Calgary part would see decent traffic, as well as the parts of the line in Canada up to Winnipeg.

The only part of the line that I could see bleeding money is anything further east than Winnipeg, but that would be in Canada anyways.

Of course, the resolution could end up being meaningless as the vote in the Senate right now is 2-2 (with Devout Centrist abstaining and Sen. ON Progressive not having voted yet). So either ON Progressive (who represents Fremont in the Senate) or Vice President Lumine (a Fremont citizen) will break up the tie.

Sorry, I guess I'm a little behind on this.

I still have problems with Section V2 because it obligates Fremont and Canada to allocate an unspecified amount of money that both Canada and Parliament would still need to approve at a later time.  I am not sure how it is constitutional to compel a region or another country to foot the bill for a federal project, but the bill also doesn't prescribe any type of penalty or consequence for a party that doesn't agree to pay, which renders it unenforceable.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »

I am also opposed to SB 9010. It's a useless passenger service that has only been introduced because Bruhg made it a meme on LokCord and tack promised to do it to get Bruhg's vote.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 08:14:11 AM »

I withdraw the motion to table. On second thoughts, i realise that this resolution is a good way to try and kill this stupid bill federally.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 08:23:34 AM »
« Edited: March 26, 2019, 09:46:42 PM by AustralianSwingVoter »

A RESOLUTION
That this chamber voices its opinion on the matter on SB 9010.
Whereas, this bill establishes a useless passenger rail connection along a thinly populated route solely to make a stupid meme into reality.
Whereas, this service would strongly impinge on the rights of the governments of both Canada and Fremont to regulate and operate their passenger as they see fit.
Resolved, that this Parliament objects in the strongest possible terms to SB 9010.
Further Resolved, that this Parliament urges the Federal Congress to reject this idiotic legislation.
Further Resolved, that this Parliament urges all Senators and Representatives who reside in this region to vote Nay on this legislation.
Further Resolved, that this Parliament objects to the use of any funds of the Government of Fremont to be used to finance this ridiculous project.
Further Resolved, that the Government of Fremont categorically refuses to spend a single cent on funding this absurd project.

I introduce the following amendment.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 09:44:11 AM »

A RESOLUTION
Whereas, this bill establishes a useless passenger rail connection along a thinly populated route solely to make a stupid meme into reality.
Whereas, this service would strongly impinge on the rights of the governments of both Canada and Fremont to regulate and operate their passenger as they see fit.
Resolved, that this Parliament objects in the strongest possible terms to SB 9010.
Further Resolved, that this Parliament urges the Federal Congress to reject this idiotic legislation.
Further Resolved, that this Parliament urges all Senators and Representatives who reside in this region to vote Nay on this legislation.
Further Resolved, that this Parliament objects to the use of any funds of the Government of Fremont to be used to finance this ridiculous project.
Further Resolved, that the Government of Fremont categorically refuses to spend a single cent on funding this absurd project.

Well, that is very harsh language, yikes!
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 09:46:52 AM »

A RESOLUTION

Well, that is very harsh language, yikes!
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »
« Edited: March 24, 2019, 12:45:45 PM by Sherrod Brown Shill »

This (SB) seems like borderline meme bill based on a specific promise Tack made to a specific user. I'm not sure it even warrants this (FT) but I'm certainly not against this. (FT)

Edit: I used the word "this" way too many times so I clarified.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies