Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:23:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 46
Author Topic: Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24  (Read 65772 times)
bilaps
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: March 24, 2019, 02:55:36 PM »

Told you so
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #226 on: March 24, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »

So that's it? Barr has made his final decision on obstruction of justice?

I don't think it was ever much in doubt that Barr would do everything in his power to help Trump get as little damage as possible from this. That being said, Barr is not the only one with the power to take action against Trump. Attorney General Bill Saxbe also didn't take any action against Nixon.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #227 on: March 24, 2019, 02:55:57 PM »

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #228 on: March 24, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »

This is just like the Hillary email scandal. Disregard the reality and keep claiming crimes were committed and keep launching more investigations against Trump

Yea pretty much. Tried and true strategy perfected by the GOP.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #229 on: March 24, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »

This is just like the Hillary email scandal. Disregard the reality and keep claiming crimes were committed and keep launching more investigations against Trump

Pretty much lol.
Thatkat04
« Reply #230 on: March 24, 2019, 03:00:22 PM »

At best, it hopefully stops the impeachment talk.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #231 on: March 24, 2019, 03:00:41 PM »

So, Trump's approvals go up by at least 5% now right?

As if a vague report by the AG is going to win Trump a couple million hearts Roll Eyes
bilaps
« Reply #232 on: March 24, 2019, 03:01:48 PM »

As if a vague report by the AG is going to win Trump a couple million hearts Roll Eyes

LOL VAGUE

Are you serious? Nothing vague about "didn't collude"
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #233 on: March 24, 2019, 03:02:29 PM »

I'm just very confused how it's not considered obstruction when you go on national TV and say that you fired the FBI director to stop the investigation into you. That seems pretty clear cut to me.

Also, this tweet (https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1109906220931080193) .... but Trump Jr. and the Russian with HRC dirt + the Trump Tower meeting also seems to contradict that.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #234 on: March 24, 2019, 03:04:17 PM »

Also, this vague statement of well "we didn't find enough evidence, but we also found SOME so we also do not exonerate him" like what?!

But at the end of the day, Barr can't be trusted. HE is the one that took Mueller's evidence and then decided not to pursue charges. That's why the entire system of a president picking his AG is super messed up. There's always going to be conflict of interest there.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #235 on: March 24, 2019, 03:04:22 PM »

LOL VAGUE

Are you serious? Nothing vague about "didn't collude"

The line literally one paragraph later saying the report "does not exonnerate" the President, and this in a summary written by an overt Trump supporter and critic of the Mueller investigation.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #236 on: March 24, 2019, 03:04:51 PM »

Trump won. He always finds a way to win. I feel sick.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #237 on: March 24, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »

I'm just very confused how it's not considered obstruction when you go on national TV and say that you fired the FBI director to stop the investigation into you. That seems pretty clear cut to me.

Also, this tweet (https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1109906220931080193) .... but Trump Jr. and the Russian with HRC dirt + the Trump Tower meeting also seems to contradict that.

That was Barr’s judgement, though.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #238 on: March 24, 2019, 03:06:05 PM »

If Mueller didn't find evidence of collusion by the Trump campaign, then I for one accept that the evidence isn't there.  It sounds like the question of obstruction may be less clear; the letter says that Mueller laid out the evidence for it, and Barr has deemed it insufficient to charge.  I'm sure Congress will look into that further.  But I'm willing to acknowledge that at least the collusion narrative is now over.

It should also be noted that Mueller did find solid evidence of Russian interference in the election.

Just out of curiosity, would any of those on the right who've been complaining about Mueller's bias now care to retract those statements?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #239 on: March 24, 2019, 03:06:28 PM »

Because the President can’t obstruct justice just by using the perogatives of his office, like firing subordinates.  There has to be an underlying elicit act, like destroying evidence or intimidating witnesses.  That’s the crux of Barr’s arguments.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2019, 03:08:14 PM »

If Mueller didn't find evidence of collusion by the Trump campaign, then I for one accept that the evidence isn't there.  It sounds like the question of obstruction may be less clear; the letter says that Mueller laid out the evidence for it, and Barr has deemed it insufficient to charge.  I'm sure Congress will look into that further.  But I'm willing to acknowledge that at least the collusion narrative is now over.

It should also be noted that Mueller did find solid evidence of Russian interference in the election.

Just out of curiosity, would any of those on the right who've been complaining about Mueller's bias now care to retract those statements?

I trust in Mueller's report, but it just seems so odd. I'd like to see his full report and if he addressed certain things, because there are some things that don't still add up. Trump Jr. DMing Wikileaks, Trump being so close to Putin, the Dossier, Wikileaks dumping stuff right after Trump told them to. There's a lot of "coincidences" that don't add up
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »

Because the President can’t obstruct justice just by using the perogatives of his office, like firing subordinates.  There has to be an underlying elicit act, like destroying evidence or intimidating witnesses.  That’s the crux of Barr’s arguments.

In other words, "When the president does it, it's not illegal."
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #242 on: March 24, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »

That was Barr’s judgement, though.

Which is a huge problem here. Barr has shown he's not a total impartial party in this, and why we deserve to see the full report, because I don't trust Barr's judgement.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2019, 03:09:20 PM »

Status quo antebellum
Thatkat04
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2019, 03:10:53 PM »

It kind of feels like the Collusion narrative has been over for a while. This has been going on for so long that I think a lot of Americans just stopped caring. Like, Trump isnt unpopular because of Mueller. He's unpopular because he's bad at his job.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2019, 03:13:03 PM »

♫Why does my heart feel so bad? Why does my soul feel so bad?♫
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »

It did explicitly state Trump wasn't exonerated so it's too far to say this exonerates him, though it is probably a relief for him compared to what some people may have been expecting/hoping for.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2019, 03:14:13 PM »

This is pretty much a case of behaving unethically but doing it without actually leaving enough evidence to be charged.

For example, if I hated a person and wanted to ruin their expensive new white suit I could pretend to trip and fall with a glass of grape juice, spilling it all over them. If I merely threw it on them it would be assault, but if I faked a believable accident that then I would have accomplished my goal without actually breaking the law and putting myself in legal trouble.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »

It did explicitly state Trump wasn't exonerated so it's too far to say this exonerates him, though it is probably a relief for him compared to what some people may have been expecting/hoping for.

You have to remember that Republicans control the narrative, so this is going to be spun as a complete exoneration. With the economy the way it is, this country's clueless independents will all come home and his approval rating will probably be in the 60s by the end of the year.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #249 on: March 24, 2019, 03:15:43 PM »

Time to investigate William Barr. Remember, he was central to letting George HW Bush and the Iran-Contra cronies off the hook for all kinds of criminal activity. He has a major conflict of interest here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies