Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 10:22:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46
Author Topic: Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24  (Read 66792 times)
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: May 29, 2019, 11:07:14 AM »

TOTAL EXONERATION!!!

Democrats need to insert that sentence into every commercial for 2020.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #976 on: May 29, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »

LOL!

Underrated salt post. Your tears are delicious.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #977 on: May 29, 2019, 11:53:45 AM »

What? Can you explain a bit more?
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #978 on: May 29, 2019, 12:31:16 PM »

TOTAL EXONERATION!!!

The whole point of stating it that way, is because if it were to go to court - Trump would win.  The "burden of proof" would not be met.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #979 on: May 29, 2019, 12:37:11 PM »

TOTAL EXONERATION!!!

The whole point of stating it that way, is because if it were to go to court - Trump would win.  The "burden of proof" would not be met.

That's absolutely not what it means. He said he cannot bring it to court because he can't indict the president. He also lays out in the report where 4 or 5 of the obstruction cases are basically open and shut, by establishing the obstructive act, the nexus to a proceeding, and the corrupt intent. It's as clear as can be that if it had been anybody but the president, he would have indicted him.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #980 on: May 29, 2019, 12:38:46 PM »

TOTAL EXONERATION!!!

The whole point of stating it that way, is because if it were to go to court - Trump would win.  The "burden of proof" would not be met.

They were following the office of legel counsel's precedent against indicting a sitting president.   It is not a matter of not having enough evidence.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #981 on: May 29, 2019, 12:49:36 PM »

I was (perhaps incorrectly?) assuming you were extremely butthurt about Mueller speaking against Trump publically, and - having no logical justification whatsoever - resorted to vague namecalling.

Maybe my mistake. Those old white dudes in your signature looked very Republican to my eye test.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #982 on: May 29, 2019, 01:06:53 PM »

Impeach now!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #983 on: May 29, 2019, 06:45:00 PM »

This is probably the closest thing to what I've been waiting for out of Mueller. I'll take it. It's time for House Democrats to begin the inquiry. They will not have any better excuse now. I know that Trump's removal still won't happen when it gets the Senate, but with Mueller being the most independent voice possible in this situation, they have him on their side and are more than justified to show that it is not okay for a President to commit such wrongdoing and get away with it. I don't care about the consequences anymore. I don't care how hackish the Republicans are in their attempts to stubbornly ignore the facts, invent their own reality, and protect the President; wrong is wrong.

By the way, Barr needs to be punished too.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #984 on: May 29, 2019, 07:34:29 PM »

TOTAL EXONERATION!!!

I watched his news conference and, if you do as well, you will discover that that is nearly the opposite of what Mueller said.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #985 on: May 29, 2019, 07:44:45 PM »

TOTAL EXONERATION!!!

I watched his news conference and, if you do as well, you will discover that that is nearly the opposite of what Mueller said.

If that's how burden of proof works, every defense attorney would just say "If I had thought my client was guilty, I would say so," and they'd win every case.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #986 on: May 30, 2019, 08:43:54 AM »

Link to full transcript of Mueller's indictment referral and resignation:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/special-counsel-robert-s-mueller-iii-makes-statement-investigation-russian-interference
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #987 on: May 31, 2019, 12:13:21 PM »

Our top cop is a partisan troll

Poor Mueller just can't win. If he indicted Trump he would have been called corrupt for going against DOJ policy, and when he doesn't, people like Barr engage in concern trolling and say "well, why didn't he reach a decision?" and continue to equivocate being an unindicted criminal with being exonerated.

Bullsh**t.  Reaching conclusion and indicting someone is not the same.

It has been reported that both Barr, Rosenstein and other DOJ employees WERE in fact surprised by Muller decision by kinda not making a final call or at least give his judgement. Mueller's explanation that Trump in that case would not have a fair possibility to clear his name blah blah is not THAT convincing. Pretty lame, IMHO.

And there are some legal experts that kinda agree with this. Even those who thinks it was "obvious" OOJ.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/04/19/mueller-report-analysis-legal-experts-226662

The Mueller report is ‘deeply confused and confusing’ about its own purpose
Rick Pildes is a professor of constitutional law at NYU Law School and a former clerk for Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall.

On the obstruction issue, the Mueller report is, to my surprise, deeply confused and confusing about the fundamental issue of what the report means to be telling us.

The obstruction analysis begins with a statement of four principles that governed the analysis. The most consequential of these will come as a stunner to most people: “We determined not to apply an approach that could potentially result in a judgment that the president committed crimes” (emphasis added). In other words, the report was never going to reach a judgment about whether the president had committed a crime. No matter what the facts showed, the special counsel determined at the outset, as a matter of principle, that it would be inappropriate to conclude that the president had committed a crime.

I assume most people would have thought the entire point of the special counsel investigation on obstruction was precisely to determine whether the president had committed any crimes. But the report concludes that because the president cannot be indicted while in office, it would be “unfair” in principle to conclude he had committed a crime, because unlike the ordinary criminal defendant, he would not soon have a trial in which he could clear his name. In other words: Since the president cannot be indicted while in office, he also can’t be found by the Justice Department to have committed a crime while in office.

If the report had at least been clear and explicit throughout about how narrowly Mueller conceived his role, it could have expressly said things like, “We believe only Congress can decide whether a president has committed a crime while in office” or “We will only present you with our factual findings and our view of the general legal principles involved.” That would at least have left clear the limited role the special counsel believed the Department of Justice can play in evaluating potential presidential criminal liability.

But instead, the report assessed whether each event it examined could be considered obstructive. This leaves the impression that the special counsel evaluated each event and concluded that one could argue either way about whether it could be part of an obstruction crime. There is a large difference between saying (1) it is not our role, it is only for Congress to decide whether a crime has been committed, and (2) we are indeed evaluating the merits and we conclude the case could go either way.
Exactly my feelings.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #988 on: May 31, 2019, 12:25:22 PM »

I mean, the report IS clear that the president committed crimes. The only piece it omits is saying "The president committed the crime of obstruction of justice." But it holds his actions up to the legal thresholds for obstruction of justice and clearly shows that he satisfies those thresholds.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #989 on: May 31, 2019, 01:24:22 PM »

Trump attempted to obstructed justice and I'm sure if Democrats begin Impeachment proceedings he would do so again, he can not help himself.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #990 on: June 03, 2019, 02:57:38 PM »

Among the witnesses: John Dean!  It's like a time machine.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #991 on: June 03, 2019, 04:28:13 PM »

The "investigations" run by Democrats should probably get a distinct thread? They lack the Muller's credibility and fairness...

Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) announced the next hearing, titled "Lessons from the Mueller Report: Presidential Obstruction and Other Crimes," on June 10 as a way to push forward with the committee's sprawling oversight investigation into the Trump administration amid stonewalling from the White House.
Disgusting.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #992 on: June 03, 2019, 06:14:00 PM »

The "investigations" run by Democrats should probably get a distinct thread? They lack the Muller's credibility and fairness...

IMO this thread is appropriate for hearings that are specifically about the Mueller report and its findings, since they are directly related.  The general oversight thread is probably better for hearings on other topics.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #993 on: June 06, 2019, 12:15:22 PM »

Even if Mueller (as he said earlier) doesn't add to what has already been written down in his report, it is still worth it to have him testify under oath in an open hearing, effectively verbalizing the report for a television audience.  Considering it is highly doubtful most Americans (or congressmen, for that matter) have actually read the report, a different medium might be more effective in educating a broader audience.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #994 on: June 25, 2019, 08:10:23 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #995 on: June 25, 2019, 08:21:38 PM »

Finally
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #996 on: June 26, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »

Prediction: During or shortly after the testimony, Trump will do something incredibly stupid like bombing Iran, issue another insane tariff, break up an agreement or start deportations in order to distract from the devastating Mueller headlines.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #997 on: June 26, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »

I am so ready for this! What I was not ready for though is the media's concern trolling about this "backfiring" on the Democrats. They just always have to be in "disarray," don't they?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #998 on: June 26, 2019, 11:12:48 PM »

Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) announced the next hearing, titled "Lessons from the Mueller Report: Presidential Obstruction and Other Crimes," on June 10 as a way to push forward with the committee's sprawling oversight investigation into the Trump administration amid stonewalling from the White House.
Disgusting.

Shoo.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #999 on: June 27, 2019, 02:49:37 PM »

I am not buying the Mueller testimony, there was enough there to charge either Trump Jr with corruption with Kremlin or Trump with obstruction,  like Comey said. What he says, doesn't matter to me
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies