Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:42:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 46
Author Topic: Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24  (Read 66587 times)
Big Boy Beto
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.31, S: -0.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: April 18, 2019, 12:16:22 PM »
« edited: April 18, 2019, 12:26:20 PM by Certified Tea Drinker »

Regardless if 2016 was rigged or not, (I'm inclined to believe the former), Trump F'ed up with his reaction to it. You don't try to fire the special counsel! It's as clear as day that he's guilty of obstruction of justice.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #726 on: April 18, 2019, 12:21:32 PM »

I'm sure Republicans/Fox et al are trying, but it's impossible to spin this as being positive for the President. Haven't read the whole thing, but I'll do it later and will have a longer post. But apparently the only reason he didn't commit obstruction of justice is because his underlings disobeyed his orders. And ultimately it still says it is up to Congress to decide. Which is NOT exoneration is any way, shape, or form. I think intelligent people/people who were paying attention already knew this, but it's not debatable now that he was lying to the public when he denied that Russia was involved, and when he said his campaign didn't have anything to do with the misinformation effort. Not illegal, but I don't see how anyone can trust him ever again, if you even did to start with.

I'm not sure about the legal precedent here, but his orders not being followed shouldn't shield him from obstruction of justice. He gave the order, he's guilty, the person who didn't follow the order isn't. That seems like a pretty simple standard. Of course I seriously doubt the Republican Senate is going to impeach based on this, but hopefully this gets covered the right way (unlike Barr's statement) and his approvals get buried in the 30's.

Speaking of Barr, his summary was a complete disgrace in light of what's coming out as actually being in the report, and I'll have to read it again after reading the report to tell if he blatantly lied in it, which I think is possible. This is third world banana republic "El Presidente" BS.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #727 on: April 18, 2019, 12:29:47 PM »

I'm sure Republicans/Fox et al are trying, but it's impossible to spin this as being positive for the President. Haven't read the whole thing, but I'll do it later and will have a longer post. But apparently the only reason he didn't commit obstruction of justice is because his underlings disobeyed his orders. And ultimately it still says it is up to Congress to decide. Which is NOT exoneration is any way, shape, or form. I think intelligent people/people who were paying attention already knew this, but it's not debatable now that he was lying to the public when he denied that Russia was involved, and when he said his campaign didn't have anything to do with the misinformation effort. Not illegal, but I don't see how anyone can trust him ever again, if you even did to start with.

I'm not sure about the legal precedent here, but his orders not being followed shouldn't shield him from obstruction of justice. He gave the order, he's guilty, the person who didn't follow the order isn't. That seems like a pretty simple standard. Of course I seriously doubt the Republican Senate is going to impeach based on this, but hopefully this gets covered the right way (unlike Barr's statement) and his approvals get buried in the 30's.

Speaking of Barr, his summary was a complete disgrace in light of what's coming out as actually being in the report, and I'll have to read it again after reading the report to tell if he blatantly lied in it, which I think is possible. This is third world banana republic "El Presidente" BS.

Barr's actions are the reason he was chosen, to defend Trump, not the country.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #728 on: April 18, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »

No Trump...they didn't.   
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #729 on: April 18, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »

Btw will Matt Taibbi address this moronic article he wrote after Barr’s letter https://taibbi.substack.com/p/russiagate-is-wmd-times-a-million
Thatkat04
« Reply #730 on: April 18, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »

In hindsight, I'm not sure Barr did Trump any favors. At best, he bought Trump a few extra weeks from the negative coverage. But by doing that, Barr's reputation has been ruined. Are there no P.R. people in the Trump administration?
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #731 on: April 18, 2019, 12:49:29 PM »

Him, Greenwald, and Tracey should never been taking seriously again. They have been wrong about everything concerning Trump and Russia.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #732 on: April 18, 2019, 12:55:40 PM »

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #733 on: April 18, 2019, 01:04:34 PM »

How to organize a rally, taught by the IRA:

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #734 on: April 18, 2019, 01:07:21 PM »

Oh Lordy
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #735 on: April 18, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »

Taibbi is Greenwald jr., so probably not.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #736 on: April 18, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »

I'm wary of any impeachment proceedings as a waste of time.
But after this report there may be no other choice.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #737 on: April 18, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »

They really don't.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #738 on: April 18, 2019, 01:18:28 PM »

Lester Holt and the NBC team are currently discussing the report "falling with a thud" for Democrats.

Of course, the opposite of the Atlas Forum Cheesy
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #739 on: April 18, 2019, 01:18:53 PM »

Barr Summary: "The Special Counsel did not find the Trump Campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian Government in these areas (IRA + wikileaks), despite multiple offers from Russian-Affiliated Individuals to Assist the Trump Campaign."

The report itself does state stuff similar to that sentence early on, but if you read further:

- The Trump Campaign did talk with Representatives of the IRA, but the IRA did not reveal who they actually were, so the Campaign did not understand it was communicating with Russians.

- The Trump Campaign did agree to set aside signs at rallies and such for use of those working with twitter accounts such as @TEN_GOP, et. al., but were not aware that these efforts were russian-affilated.

- The Trump Campaign frequently retweeted, etc. posts by the IRA's social media accounts, but did not appear to be aware that these accounts were russian-affilated.

- Manafort knowingly gave Russians access to internal polling data.

- On one occasion, Kushner and Manafort took a meeting with a Russian Official, and attended it, but the guy was a dumbass and didn't actually have anything useful.

Did Barr lie? Depends on your definition of lying. But the Campaign was hardly an example of Moral greatness.

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #740 on: April 18, 2019, 01:19:20 PM »

The focus should just be on winning the spin war right now. This stuff is extremely serious and should cripple his reelection chances if it's handled right and Dems don't do stupid stuff during the election (you never know). If they try to impeach him and it's perceived as an overreach they could end up helping Trump like what happened with Clinton in the 90's. They should make the case for impeachment, see what the public thinks, and see if any Republican Senators are willing to get on board (that feeling out process would probably have to be done in private)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #741 on: April 18, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »

Lester Holt and the NBC team are currently discussing the report "falling with a thud" for Democrats.

Luckily we have our own brains and don't expect others to tell us what to think.
Maybe you should try it sometime.
Thatkat04
« Reply #742 on: April 18, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »

I was watching NBC a few minutes ago. I did not get that impression at all.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #743 on: April 18, 2019, 01:21:59 PM »

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/kyle-drennen/2019/04/18/disappointed-nbc-mueller-report-falling-thud-democrats

There's the video.

Thatkat04
« Reply #744 on: April 18, 2019, 01:27:29 PM »

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/kyle-drennen/2019/04/18/disappointed-nbc-mueller-report-falling-thud-democrats

There's the video.

Again, the rest of the coverage did not match Lester Holts comments. And Kasie Hunts follow up doesn't really agree with that comment either. She even says democrats are "ramping up".

If it makes you feel better about the situation, you can use that off hand comment all you'd like though.

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #745 on: April 18, 2019, 01:28:20 PM »

Luckily we have our own brains and don't expect others to tell us what to think.
Maybe you should try it sometime.

That really was projection. Conservatives and Republicans just believe whatever Fox and talk radio tell them these days. There actually are some people out there who make up their own minds about things, though.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #746 on: April 18, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »

I don't think Reaganfan gets how bad it is for Trump that Barr essential broke away from Mueller.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #747 on: April 18, 2019, 01:32:37 PM »

I think this is big.
The Orange Buffoon is directing his people to lie.
Even when others are recommending that the truth be revealed, the president refuses and tells them to just say its about "Russian adoptions."
WTF is that about?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #748 on: April 18, 2019, 01:39:59 PM »

I would just go ahead with the impeachment, have the senate acquit him, tell the people we did our part, blame the GOP for aiding and abetting foreign corruption, and move on. If you don’t impeach at this point, it’s sanitizing these actions.
Thatkat04
« Reply #749 on: April 18, 2019, 01:40:22 PM »

There's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_7zCmW6k1o

2:06:00 onward is Lester Holt and the gang. First off, the coverage started almost immediately after the report was released. So they were still reading during the coverage. But secondly, this coverage isnt  "democrats are disappointed, the report isn't serious". They make multiple mentions of congress and impeachment. So, your really grasping at straws here.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies