Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:53:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Mueller report thread - Mueller testimony July 24  (Read 65767 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: March 22, 2019, 03:53:44 PM »
« edited: July 23, 2019, 06:49:39 AM by GeorgiaModerate »

ETA: The redacted report is available at https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf

Searchable & copy-pasteable version: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/18/us/politics/mueller-report-document.html
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 04:50:46 PM »

People coming to hot takes before any details have been leaked?

Have you forgotten where you are? Wink
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:01:50 PM »

Of course, there could still be indictments in the various other investigations.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:03:56 PM »

We are currently in a state of Shrodingers Report: it has both been finalized but not released. So everyone and their Grandma has a theory of what is in the thing. I would treat all takes and information as suspicious until we actually see if the cat is alive or dead.

Excellent advice.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »

No indictments (if accurate) is good news for Trump, but that doesn't mean he's clear of the potential political fallout of the details within the report itself.

Yeah, nobody was ever indicted in the Clinton email investigation, but that's not really the first thing anybody thinks about when it comes to Comey's reports.

And let's not lose sight of the fact that this investigation has already resulted in quite a few indictments, guilty pleas, and convictions, including Trump's former campaign chairman and national security advisor.  If this was a witch hunt, it found a whole coven.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 05:58:26 PM »

Murder Investigation - 'Hey guys we've arrested 10 people.'
Murder Investigation Closes - 'We're not arresting anyone else.'
Press - 'So...there were no murders?'

LOL no.

Murder Investigation found people guilty of robbery, not murder.
You know Mueller indicted a whole bunch of Russian operatives for interfering in the election, right?

So what? He was hired to investigate COLLUSION between Trump campaign and those Russians.
That’s not true.

No, he's correct.  Mueller's appointment was specifically to investigate links and/or coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign; any matters arising out of that investigation; and any other matters arising from 28 CFR 600.4(a) [interference with the investigation].
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »

OK, that's funny. Smiley
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 06:35:20 PM »

I wrote a long, depressed diatribe about this in the "Indictment-o-rama" thread, so if you care what I think go read that there. The Cliffnotes version of it is that I now think that Trump firing Mueller and creating a constitutional crisis for the country would have been a better result and that I was wise to temper my expectations of the report. That still didn't help that much though. I'm feeling really down right now. This may not 100% guarantee Trump's re-election but it undeniably helps him. The guy is practically invincible.

Since you apparently know what's in the report already, how about sharing it with the rest of us?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 06:55:28 PM »

Robert Mueller is one of the greatest Republicans since Lincoln. Pure class!

LOL, am I the only person whose opinion of Mueller hasn't changed?

Nope.  I respected him as a man of integrity before, and I still do now (whatever the report says).
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »

What many of us have wanted from the beginning is simply to know the truth. What Trump has wanted from the beginning is to keep us from knowing the truth. We’ve known for a while that Russia sponsored a sophisticated operation to interfere in the 2016 election. Trump didn’t even want us to know that much. The American people deserve to know what the scope of the Russian operation was, what could have been done differently to prevent it, and whether any Americans were complicit in it. The simple fact is that Trump has been opposed to letting the American people learn any of this. Whatever his reasons may be , he has been against the very idea of an impartial investigation. That is why a special prosecutor was necessary.

If the Mueller report concludes that Trump’s campaign was not actively involved in coordinating efforts with the Russian agents, then I will accept that conclusion.

But that doesn’t by itself mean that Trump is guilty of no wrongdoing. “No collusion!” is a shifting goalpost that Republicans have set up for themselves. But Trump can still be guilty of obstruction of justice even if there was no collusion. Why do none of the blue avatars here get this? If he took deliberate steps to sandbag an ongoing investigation, even if it was just because the investigation wounded his ego, then that is obstruction.

Excellent post.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 10:00:42 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »

The Department of Justice notified the House Judiciary Committee that it can expect to receive a written summary of special counsel Robert Mueller's investigative conclusions by Sunday at 5 p.m., a lawmaker on the panel told The Hill.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/435512-congress-expects-sunday-evening-briefing-on-mueller-report-findings
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 02:39:24 PM »

I'm assuming it will simultaneously leak that it's exonerating and very bad, and there will be two parallel realities among Americans based on their preconceived beliefs

Schrodinger's Report.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 02:40:47 PM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 02:49:14 PM »

This looks pretty good for Trump overall.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 03:06:05 PM »

If Mueller didn't find evidence of collusion by the Trump campaign, then I for one accept that the evidence isn't there.  It sounds like the question of obstruction may be less clear; the letter says that Mueller laid out the evidence for it, and Barr has deemed it insufficient to charge.  I'm sure Congress will look into that further.  But I'm willing to acknowledge that at least the collusion narrative is now over.

It should also be noted that Mueller did find solid evidence of Russian interference in the election.

Just out of curiosity, would any of those on the right who've been complaining about Mueller's bias now care to retract those statements?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 03:21:31 PM »

So, Trump's approvals go up by at least 5% now right?

He might get a bump, but I doubt much changes.

If Trump followed this up by toning down his personality and actually trying to be a uniter instead of a divider, it's likely that his approvals would go up several points and stay there.  He'd probably be reelected next year (unless the economy tanks before then or one of the other investigations finds something really terrible).

The probability of Trump actually doing that is somewhere between zero and zero.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 03:24:22 PM »

So you mean to tell me all those "NO COLLUSION!" tweets...

Think of it as confirmation of all those people who said the campaign was too inept to actually collude. Smiley
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »

The spin on both sides right now makes me think this doesn't effect anything.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 08:05:17 PM »

The hot takes here are unbearable. It absolutely sucks this forum doesn't have a delete account function because today has utterly soured my taste of anything atlas.

Don't leave; you're a good poster and at least some of us would miss you.  If it's that bad, take a break for a few days or a week.  This too shall pass.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »

2+ years of the Mueller investigation yields nothing, but the Ukranian AG finds tangible evidence against Hillary Clinton of collusion with a Ukranian citizen to influence the U.S. elections.

Ah yes, we must've all collectively imagined those multiple convictions that came out of the Mueller investigation.

Such a dodge.  Those convictions that had nothing to do with Russian collusion.  You know... the point of the special counsel.  That was the point.  That's what Democrats stated was the point.  Were you guys lying again?  I mean, if were going to prosecute people for lying to investigators, obstruction of justice, and collusion with Ukraine, the logical starting point is Hillary Clinton.  You know, that lady that's being investigated by the Ukrainian government for collusion.  

I'm not a Democrat, nor part of the RUSSIA RUSSIA RUSSIA crowd, nor do I think anyone involved in the 2016 election should be anywhere but behind bars. But your answer is exactly what you claim mine was--a dodge. "Nothing came of it" *points to things that actually came from it* "Oh that doesn't count because I say it doesn't" is just more of the mindless moving of goalposts that's been coming from the brainwashed Trump crowd.

This thread is about collusion and obstruction of justice.  The investigation was about the Trump-Russia conspiracy.  It was predicated on the Trump-Russia collusion to influence the election.  That is topic of the thread.  That is the topic of investigation.  Everything else is BS.  I'm glad they charged the people that lied and worked on the behalf of the Ukrainians.  In the end, this investigation was a total farce.  We convicted small timers with crimes, while the Clintons committed the crimes at the center of this investigation; collusion with the Russians and Ukrainians to influence the U.S. elections.  The Democrats are the biggest threat to democracy in the U.S. elections and their own primaries, but we have to go along with this delusional conspiracy that Trump colluded with Russians. 

LOL.
First off, this thread is about the Mueller report. Mueller was given wide authority and the investigation's scope included "any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation."
Let's not forget that six close trump campaign associates were indicted due to Mueller, and I hope they enjoy their jail time and/or other penalties.
Hammy has it right about your "brainwashed" mentality on "Oh that doesn't count because I say it doesn't."
Besides, in one breath you say it's only about trump-Russia, and in another you go on talking about Hillary-Russia-Ukraine. Make up your mind.

As the thread creator, I'm amused to see him try to redefine it.  It's titled "Mueller report thread" because that's what it's intended for.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 09:14:12 AM »

Can you take the Hillary discussion elsewhere please?  It's irrelevant to the Mueller report.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »

I've updated the title slightly to reflect that the released findings are from Barr's summary, not directly from the report.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 09:19:14 AM »

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies