Canada General Discussion (2019-)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:25:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion (2019-)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 139
Author Topic: Canada General Discussion (2019-)  (Read 186543 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2019, 10:31:32 AM »

This is one of the reasons I think we should let Scheer have another kick at the can; we invested a lot of time and money into his brand, and I'm not seeing any compelling candidates to start over with. MacKay is the only strong alternative IMO and he gives me strong paper tiger vibes.

This is probably at least in part due to Harper's overly leader-centric style and failure to develop his front bench. They had a few strong contenders but those are mostly unavailable. Stuff happens, people move on etc, so ideally one would want several plausible strong successors in a party, which will whittle down during an actual leadership election. I wonder if the Liberals will suffer from the same issue when Trudeau goes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2019, 02:26:08 PM »

This is one of the reasons I think we should let Scheer have another kick at the can; we invested a lot of time and money into his brand, and I'm not seeing any compelling candidates to start over with. MacKay is the only strong alternative IMO and he gives me strong paper tiger vibes.

This is probably at least in part due to Harper's overly leader-centric style and failure to develop his front bench. They had a few strong contenders but those are mostly unavailable. Stuff happens, people move on etc, so ideally one would want several plausible strong successors in a party, which will whittle down during an actual leadership election. I wonder if the Liberals will suffer from the same issue when Trudeau goes.

Possible. There was reports that some Liberals were lobbying Mark Carney as replacement if Trudeau lost.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2019, 05:30:29 PM »

Is Caroline Mulroney a red Torie?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »

Possible. There was reports that some Liberals were lobbying Mark Carney as replacement if Trudeau lost.

Haha, people love to speculate about non-pols. I saw Ben Mulroney's name tossed around if Scheer goes Tongue

It's an interesting issue. Freeland is definitly a bona fide leadership contender but the list isn't too long after that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2019, 09:23:55 AM »

I'm not sure about the "red" label, but my understanding is that she is to the left of Scheer but right of MacKay.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2019, 09:25:54 PM »

Don Cherry fired from Sportsnet for attacking immigrants and then refusing to apologize. Some news sources just saying he was fired over comments, which isn't 100% accurate

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/don-cherry-fired
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »

Jagmeet Singh is publicly musing about voting against the Throne Speech. Guess this marks the beginning of minority parliament haggling.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2019, 05:48:04 PM »

Could Caroline Mulroney seriously establish a new political dynasty in Canada? Personally, I think I’d prefer Catherine Clark if that's going to happen.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2019, 01:50:20 AM »

Are the Clarks even Conservative anymore?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »

Joe definitely isn't. Besides, being a Clark is a huge negative for a Tory hopeful. Mulroney, for all his issues, won two majorities, had some right wing policy achievements, and backed the merger. Clark mishandled a minority, somehow managed to let a damaged Trudeau Sr win a 4th term and then pissed away whatever remaining goodwill he had during his 2nd leadership by holding up and attacking the Alliance-PC merger.

Even the Reds (of which I am sort of part of) dislike him. Honestly the only people that seem to like Joe Clark are in other parties. Not a great recipe for his kid winning leadership (if she's even a Tory).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2019, 01:09:23 PM »

Clark is a reminder that Red Tories make better Premiers than Prime Ministers(IE Peter Lougheed and Bill Davis).
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »

Jagmeet Singh is publicly musing about voting against the Throne Speech. Guess this marks the beginning of minority parliament haggling.
Not at all. This is political posturing. The NDP is out of money and the Bloc did so amazingly well that they have ZERO interest in an election right now. Unless this Liberal government screws up BAD, the Conservatives won't be able to muster the support for a hung parliament until 2021 at the very earliest.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2019, 12:19:03 PM »

Joe definitely isn't. Besides, being a Clark is a huge negative for a Tory hopeful. Mulroney, for all his issues, won two majorities, had some right wing policy achievements, and backed the merger. Clark mishandled a minority, somehow managed to let a damaged Trudeau Sr win a 4th term and then pissed away whatever remaining goodwill he had during his 2nd leadership by holding up and attacking the Alliance-PC merger.

Even the Reds (of which I am sort of part of) dislike him. Honestly the only people that seem to like Joe Clark are in other parties. Not a great recipe for his kid winning leadership (if she's even a Tory).

This is true. I kind of like him myself. I wonder if he's voted NDP in the last 15 years? There are some Tories from back then who have (like Flora Macdonald).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2019, 08:58:06 PM »

Part of a Cabinet overhaul, Champagne replaces her there. Duclos gets Treasury Board, O'Regan Natural Resources among others.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2019, 07:44:27 PM »

Hamish Marshall left today and Scheer fired his COS and DComm last weekend to boot.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2019, 09:36:38 PM »

Scheer is also facing a national elite/grassroots revolt everywhere except SK, and their hope is he resigns by Christmas.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2019, 07:58:50 PM »

Who would replace him? O’Toole? Or a black horse like Gérard Deltell?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2019, 09:04:43 AM »

Who would replace him? O’Toole? Or a black horse like Gérard Deltell?

Maybe. There's a bunch of names floating around. Peter MacKay. I've heard rumours that Michelle Rempel is organizing. Garnett Genius is shaping up to be the socon candidate apparently. It's kind of an open question, since when and how Scheer leaves could have a big effect.

Heck, maybe Trudeau has a scandal next week, we get new elections and Scheer gets ousted under totally different circumstances than what we're expecting. Maybe he becomes PM. Who knows.

This is kind of like asking who will the 2016 GOP nominee be in December 2012.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2019, 04:36:04 PM »

Maybe. There's a bunch of names floating around. Peter MacKay. I've heard rumours that Michelle Rempel is organizing. Garnett Genius is shaping up to be the socon candidate apparently. It's kind of an open question, since when and how Scheer leaves could have a big effect.

Heck, maybe Trudeau has a scandal next week, we get new elections and Scheer gets ousted under totally different circumstances than what we're expecting. Maybe he becomes PM. Who knows.

This is kind of like asking who will the 2016 GOP nominee be in December 2012.

If Scheer is forced out by Christmas, it’s really pretty close to happening.

I have to say - he led his party to where they’re in a much better position than they were, so I don’t quite understand those who want him out.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2019, 12:39:45 PM »

gottsu
Poland

« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2019, 08:42:25 AM »

What you can say about him?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2019, 11:50:34 AM »

MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »

Andrew Scheer has resigned as Conservative leader.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »

Because he used party money to pay for his kids' education.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2020, 08:42:22 AM »

RIP: John Crosbie has died at 88.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 139  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies