opinion of safe injection sites
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:25:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  opinion of safe injection sites
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: opinion of safe injection sites
good thing/necessary evil/not happy about it but it seems to work

not sure, but I wouldn't be against some experiments

not sure, but I'm against trying it right now

bad thing

the you just don't get it dead0 option and I'm an adult, so I'll explain what you don't get it in the comments

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: opinion of safe injection sites  (Read 1302 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 23, 2019, 08:39:10 PM »

Philly might be opening one soon, that is if the Feds allow them to.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 08:41:05 PM »

I have a hard time supporting safe injection sites in states that don't even have a safe place to smoke marijuana.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 08:45:29 PM »

Not really sure, but I'm hopeful that they can prove to be helpful.

I will say, though, that "safe injection sites will increase drug use and crime" is on the same level as the "sex ed will cause teens to have more sex" argument for me.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 09:35:18 PM »

I'm not sure how much research there is so far, but it would seem to me that having a place where people can go, without fear, to receive assistance in transitioning off drugs safely would be beneficial to the public health. Certainly more helpful than locking them up.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 03:35:43 PM »

They're immoral! Instead of providing a "safe" place to do drugs why don't those people help end drug addictions?

Uh... that’s the point. The idea is it’s easier to:

1. Prevent unsafe usage in the short term that could lead to overdosing etc.

2. Provide a safe, supervised way to wean an addict off of the drug (the supervised part is otherwise pretty hard if the drug isn’t legal).
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »

Freedom places, although it's interesting that they're supported by the same people who removed cigarette ashtrays from everywhere (resulting in litter).
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 05:11:52 PM »

Are vendors allowed in?
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 11:59:03 PM »

They're immoral! Instead of providing a "safe" place to do drugs why don't those people help end drug addictions?

2. Provide a safe, supervised way to wean an addict off of the drug (the supervised part is otherwise pretty hard if the drug isn’t legal).

That idea may be on paper but in practice this will likely encourage more people to do drugs.

The evidence from actual safe injection sites in Europe and Canada does not show that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 12:25:56 PM »

That idea may be on paper but in practice this will likely encourage more people to do drugs.

The evidence from actual safe injection sites in Europe and Canada does not show that.

Canada and the EU are not the United States. Where is the evidence?

Maybe you should provide your source since you claimed it may be working on paper, but  will likely encourage more people to do drugs.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 01:27:20 PM »

There are no safe injection sites currently legally operating in the United States.

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/attachements.cfm/att_2944_EN_consumption_rooms_report.pdf

In 2001, only 15% of clients were under 25 years of age. In Spain, between 42% and 60% of clients are homeless. These are not people that are newly exposed to drugs by these facilities.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 05:34:33 PM »

Where is your evidence that suggest the results will be different in the United States?

And if your answer is “we can’t be sure” that it’ll work the same way in the US, my answer is - since we know it does work in other countries - why not try it in order to see if it works here too?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 09:28:18 PM »

There are ways Americans are different than Canadians or Euros, but I'm not seeing how they would be at play here.

That part doesn't matter though, there is no evidence here one way or the other.  There is evidence in other places that it's better for the addicts, friends and family of the addicts and most importantly, society at large to try.  I totally understand being skeptical, I totally don't understand not wanting to try.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 09:40:10 PM »

I support them.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 11:22:15 PM »

I'm certainly skeptical of them and agree that they could have some adverse consequences, but I'm not opposed to experimenting with these, in a controlled way, to see if they're more effective than current practices.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 02:03:25 PM »

I’m all in favor of them. I know someone who got Hep C from needles.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 12:02:53 AM »

Necessary evil, I’d say. We don’t live in a perfect world, but having these sites can make things not as bad.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 12:06:29 AM »

I don't think it's a good idea to give people a place to use drugs, that will not stop their addiction, strictly enforcing bans on these substances, is the only way that the addiction can be avoided, curing it requires a lengthy process, and letting people just indulge in their addiction, will make things worse
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 05:44:20 AM »

I don't think it's a good idea to give people a place to use drugs, that will not stop their addiction, strictly enforcing bans on these substances, is the only way that the addiction can be avoided, curing it requires a lengthy process, and letting people just indulge in their addiction, will make things worse

Is the comma the only punctuation you know of?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 01:47:14 AM »

I'm not sure what your point is here, unless you're admitting Europeans and Canadians as a whole are better than Americans?
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 11:11:10 AM »

If people are addicted to hard drugs, we should at least ensure that they're using them safely.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 06:10:34 PM »

I'm strongly in favor of at least giving them a try. Harm reduction is a pro-life value.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »

I'm certainly skeptical of them and agree that they could have some adverse consequences, but I'm not opposed to experimenting with these, in a controlled way, to see if they're more effective than current practices.
Have you been to Kensington?  That whole place is an adverse consequence.  If ever there was a place to try it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »

I would feel more positively about them if governments took their negative externalities more seriously. I recently moved to a neighbourhood with one nearby and now I get to partake in the delightful experience of shooing my toddler daughter away from used needles at the park.

My city is slow to dispose of them, if at all, and other Canadian cities have similar issues.

This is how NIMBY's are made.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 02:33:09 PM »

I would feel more positively about them if governments took their negative externalities more seriously. I recently moved to a neighbourhood with one nearby and now I get to partake in the delightful experience of shooing my toddler daughter away from used needles at the park.

My city is slow to dispose of them, if at all, and other Canadian cities have similar issues.

Zurich used to have a famous issue with this when it first introduced the safe needle areas. But since the 1990s it has been cleared up massively, and the area in the photo has gone from being a complete no-go zone to an actually quite cool alternative area to hang out by the river.

From what I know, they have fixed it mostly by moving to actually prescribing heroin for user to take in clinics; but also by little things like the fact that every public toilet now has a needle disposal bin (which makes sense seeing as public toilets are where addicts tend to shoot up). And it has totally worked because I go to that area almost every day and have never come across a single used needle.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 02:35:58 PM »

aren't the needles supposed to stay in the "safe injection sites"?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies