SENATE RESOLUTION: The Vice President Election Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:46:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE RESOLUTION: The Vice President Election Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: SENATE RESOLUTION: The Vice President Election Amendment (Failed)  (Read 2870 times)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2019, 01:41:22 PM »

I’m in agreement with what Speaker Jimmy has said.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2019, 06:06:17 PM »

I’m in agreement with what Speaker Jimmy has said.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2019, 11:15:10 PM »

Quote from: Amendment Offerred based on Truman's recommendation
SENATE RESOLUTION
To establish Vice Presidential Elections that are separate from the Presidential Elections.

Be it resolved by a 2/3rds majority in both houses and ratified by the regions,

Section I: Title
This Resolution shall be titled, “The Vice President Election Amendment”

Section 2: Changes to the Constitution
Article IV, Section I of the Constitution is amended to the following:

Section 1 (The Executive)
1. The executive power shall be vested in the President of the Republic of Atlasia. He shall hold his office for a term of four months, together with a Vice President chosen for the same term.as well as the Vice President of the Republic of Atlasia.
2. Elections for President shall be held in the months of February, June, and October, in accordance with the measures prescribed by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia.
3. Each candidate for President shall run jointly with a candidate for Vice President, with whom his name shall appear jointly on the ballot. A vote for a candidate for President shall be considered a vote for the candidate for Vice President whose name appears on the ballot with the presidential candidate, and accordingly the candidate for Vice President whose name appears on the ballot with the successful candidate for President shall be elected.
3.Elections for Vice President shall be held in the months of February, June, and October, in accordance with the measures prescribed by Congress of the Republic of Atlasia. In the event of a vacancy with more than four weeks remaining prior to the next regular Vice Presidential election, a special election shall be held in accordance with the measures prescribed by Congress of the Republic of Atlasia.
4. No person shall be President or Vice President who has not attained 500 or more posts, nor whose account is not at least 4,320 hours old, nor is not a citizen of the Republic of Atlasia.
5. Upon the commencement of his term in office, the President shall swear the following oath: "I, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the Republic of Atlasia, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia."

Article IV, Section 2, Clause 5 of the Constitution is amended as follows:

to appoint the vice president in the event of a vacancy in that office, with less than four weeks remaining before the next regular vice presidential election whenever a vacancy should occur fewer than thirty days before the next regular election for that office.;

Quote from: Amendment Explanation
This amendment would edit Article IV Section I to establish a separate election for the Vice-President, and special elections for the filling of Vice-President vacancies.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2019, 11:24:23 PM »

I don't really have strong feelings toward this one way or the other. I don't really think there's a magic bullet that will solve all our problems with gameplay regarding the operations of the presidency and vice president and their relationship with Congress.

This seems closest to my view at this point but could see what Jimmy is suggesting as a good middle ground.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2019, 12:09:11 AM »

Quote from: Amendment S18:05 by NC Yankee
SENATE RESOLUTION
To establish Vice Presidential Elections that are separate from the Presidential Elections.

1. The executive power shall be vested in the President of the Republic of Atlasia. He shall hold his office for a term of four months, together with a Vice President chosen for the same term.as well as the Vice President of the Republic of Atlasia.
2. Elections for President shall be held in the months of February, June, and October, in accordance with the measures prescribed by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia.
3. Each candidate for President shall run jointly with a candidate for Vice President, with whom his name shall appear jointly on the ballot. A vote for a candidate for President shall be considered a vote for the candidate for Vice President whose name appears on the ballot with the presidential candidate, and accordingly the candidate for Vice President whose name appears on the ballot with the successful candidate for President shall be elected.
3.Elections for Vice President shall be held in the months of February, June, and October, in accordance with the measures prescribed by Congress of the Republic of Atlasia. In the event of a vacancy with more than four weeks remaining prior to the next regular Vice Presidential election, a special election shall be held in accordance with the measures prescribed by Congress of the Republic of Atlasia.
4. No person shall be President or Vice President who has not attained 500 or more posts, nor whose account is not at least 4,320 hours old, nor is not a citizen of the Republic of Atlasia.
5. Upon the commencement of his term in office, the President shall swear the following oath: "I, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the Republic of Atlasia, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia."

to appoint the vice president in the event of a vacancy in that office, with less than four weeks remaining before the next regular vice presidential election whenever a vacancy should occur fewer than thirty days before the next regular election for that office.;

This amendment would edit Article IV Section I to establish a separate election for the Vice-President, and special elections for the filling of Vice-President vacancies.

Sponsor Feedback: Need Feedback
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2019, 08:16:06 AM »

I'd interpret that as still establishing separate elections for the vice presidency —or is that the intent?
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2019, 09:09:31 AM »

I'd interpret that as still establishing separate elections for the vice presidency —or is that the intent?

It still does establish separate elections for the vice presidency.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2019, 09:26:11 AM »

Proposing this amendment for the senate to discuss:

SENATE RESOLUTION

To establish Special Elections for the Office of Vice President.

This Resolution shall be titled, “The Vice President Special Election Amendment”

1. The executive power shall be vested in the President of the Republic of Atlasia. He shall hold his office for a term of four months, together with a Vice President chosen for the same term.
2. Elections for President shall be held in the months of February, June, and October, in accordance with the measures prescribed by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia. Each candidate for President shall run jointly with a candidate for Vice President, with whom their name shall appear jointly on the ballot. A vote for a candidate for President shall be considered a vote for the candidate for Vice President whose name appears on the ballot with the presidential candidate, and accordingly the candidate for Vice President whose name appears on the ballot with the successful candidate for President shall be elected.
3. In the event that two candidates for President tie in the popular vote at the conclusion of a special presidential runoff election, the candidates shall be elected Co-Presidents, with each Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate serving two months of a single four-month term. Should the candidates be unable to agree on which of them becomes President first, the candidate who has been registered longest as a citizen of Atlasia shall serve with their Vice President for the first two months, followed by the newest registered candidate and their respective Vice President for the latter two months.
4. In the event of a vacancy of the office of Vice President with more than four weeks remaining prior to the next regular Presidential election, a special election shall be held in accordance with the measures prescribed by Congress of the Republic of Atlasia.
4 5. No person shall be President or Vice President who has not attained 500 or more posts, nor whose account is not at least 4,320 hours old, nor is not a citizen of the Republic of Atlasia.
5 6. Upon the commencement of his term in office, the President shall swear the following oath: "I, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the Republic of Atlasia, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia."

to appoint, with the advice and consent of the Senate, the vice president in the event of a vacancy in that office, if there are less than four weeks remaining before the next regular vice presidential election;

This amendment would edit Article IV Section I to establish special elections for the filling of Vice-President vacancies and Article IV Section 2 for Vice-President appointments confirmed by the Senate when it is less than 4 weeks before the next Presidential election.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2019, 11:53:21 AM »

Yankee’s amendment is friendly, Jimmy’s isn’t.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »

Quote from: Amendment S18:05 by NC Yankee
SENATE RESOLUTION

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2019, 03:30:57 PM »

The amendment is adopted.

Does anyone wish to offer Jimmy's amendment into the Senate and proceed with a vote on it (since it is unfriendly)?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2019, 04:34:40 PM »

Based on the situation in the House with this recent debate, I don't see much hope for this actually passing therefore I am going to motion for a final vote. Senators have 24 hours to object.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2019, 04:53:14 PM »

A final vote is now open on this legislation, Senators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2019, 07:36:57 PM »

Nay
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »

Nay
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2019, 07:54:28 PM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2019, 12:34:53 AM »

AYE
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2019, 10:24:32 AM »

Nay
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »

Sad
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2019, 01:26:00 AM »

This has enough votes to fail, Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2019, 07:30:02 PM »

This amendment has failed by a 2-4 margin.

Ayes: NC Yankee, Vern

Nays: OntarioProgressive, Comrade Funk, Devout Centrist, LouisvilleThunder
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies