Andrew Cuomo hints running for a fourth term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:50:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Andrew Cuomo hints running for a fourth term
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Andrew Cuomo hints running for a fourth term  (Read 2361 times)
Elijah89
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 04:05:15 PM »

This shouldn’t be surprising. He managed his father’s campaign for a fourth term in 1994, and, well...

I don’t think that’s true. He was working for the Clinton administration at the time.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »

This shouldn’t be surprising. He managed his father’s campaign for a fourth term in 1994, and, well...

I don’t think that’s true. He was working for the Clinton administration at the time.

Yeah, he was his dad's campaign manager in '82, but not '94. John Marino was Mario's longtime campaign manager by then.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »

I wonder if he's intending to run for Senate in 2022.  Schumer will be 72 at that tmie; I wonder if he has privately hinting of retiring.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 10:24:15 PM »

I wonder if he's intending to run for Senate in 2022.  Schumer will be 72 at that tmie; I wonder if he has privately hinting of retiring.

No way. Not only has Cuomo already announced that he's running for a 4th term, but Schumer just became leader 2 years ago; he's sticking around for at least another decade (if not for life).
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2019, 02:17:15 AM »

I hope Cuomo somehow doesn't run again. And I'm saying this with a neutral opinion of the dude. I don't particulary dislike or even hate him, but neither I am a fan. 3 terms is enough for any gov. Let someone else run.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2019, 02:09:52 PM »

I hope Cuomo somehow doesn't run again. And I'm saying this with a neutral opinion of the dude. I don't particulary dislike or even hate him, but neither I am a fan. 3 terms is enough for any gov. Let someone else run.

I mean, I don't like the guy, but if the people want to keep re-electing him, then it's their prerogative as to whether 3 terms is enough or not.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2019, 02:55:25 PM by President Johnson »

I mean, I don't like the guy, but if the people want to keep re-electing him, then it's their prerogative as to whether 3 terms is enough or not.

Yeah, New Yorkers got the decide this. My bet is King Andy will easily win again over a left-wing challenger in the primary and sweep the general election. However, I'd also like to see him appointed Attorney General under President Joe Biden (if not Doug Jones) and elevating Kathy Hochul to the governorship. As much as I like Cuomo, I want to see her in this chair. 2026 may be too late for that, even though we have governors older now than she would be upon taking office then.

No way, Cuomo is an executive guy. I doubt he has any interest in a senate seat. As I've said in another thread, if the governorship isn't the last high office he occupies, it will be president, vice president or attorney general. I think Chuck Schumer will be a lifer.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 07:53:52 PM »

Schumer might stay on if the gop hold the senate in 2020 for a chance at majority Leader if trump wins reelection he could run in 2024
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2019, 08:06:45 AM »

Given the way the 2020 Democratic Presidential race is devolving, is it not impossible that Cuomo could still be a candidate?

We have a frontrunner (Biden) who looks OLD, has his memory questioned by other challengers, and now has media buzz about his living son and Ukraine.  We have Liz Warren who will not answer the question about one's taxes going up when she is asked about her Medicare for All plan, and while it may well be true that "hard working middle class families" will actually have more disposable income under her plan in the aggregate, some of those folks won't, and some will have worse coverage than they have now.  We have Bernie Sanders who isn't really a Democrat and who strikes me as more of a 1970s Eurocommunist every day.  We have the identity politics nitwits (Booker, Harris, Castro) who all ride buses where the wheels are about to come off over their outlandish statements.  We have Beto, who is a pandering idiot.  And we have others who aren't going to be nominated.  All of these people have run campaigns which, to date, make them vulnerable to Trump in the General Election.  The key to beating Trump was a broad based coalition with a moderate platform, and these folks have ne'er well made that impossible.

The only candidate that would CLEARLY (if nominated) beat Trump are Sen. Amy Klobuchar.  If he were not gay and married, I would put Mayor Pete in that category as well, but how being gay and married will play with the electorate in the end at the Presidential level is, at this point, an open question.  It's not 1972, but it's an "X" factor.  Klobuchar is, in my opinion, the most electable Democrat of the lot against Trump, but seems to get no traction.

So it seems that what the Democrats need to do at this point is Airlift a candidate into the process.  Cuomo is the kind of candidate for that; he has gravitas, he hasn't been soiled by the early debate hogwash, and while I certainly don't like his abortion policies, it won't kill him in battleground states.  From a political science viewpoint, the Democrats appear to be working hard to blow the 2020 election.  Trump ought to be a candidate that will be easy to oust from office, but these folks just can't resist self-indulgence in the way they go about seeking the Presidency.  Airlifting a Cuomo into the process is a way to undo that; he's the hero coming to the rescue.  I believe that the Democrats are in need of this kind of play, but it seems to be hard to convince them of that.
NeverAgainsSock
Rookie
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »

New York Governor for Life.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2019, 07:24:10 PM »

Titanium Cuomo +25-35% against a progressive woman challenger in the primary, titanium Cuomo +15-25% against some Hudson Valley local notable in the general.

Given the way the 2020 Democratic Presidential race is devolving, is it not impossible that Cuomo could still be a candidate?

Yes. It is.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2019, 08:10:49 PM »

Titanium Cuomo +25-35% against a progressive woman challenger in the primary, titanium Cuomo +15-25% against some Hudson Valley local notable in the general.

Yes. It is.

Now I know you have a maroon avatar, so I presume you'd prefer a Sanders or a Warren to some of the other Dems running, but do you really think that this thing is going well for the Dems?

They seem to be destined to nominate less than their strongest candidate. 
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2019, 08:43:32 PM »

We have a frontrunner (Biden) who looks OLD, has his memory questioned by other challengers, and now has media buzz about his living son and Ukraine.  We have Liz Warren who will not answer the question about one's taxes going up when she is asked about her Medicare for All plan, and while it may well be true that "hard working middle class families" will actually have more disposable income under her plan in the aggregate, some of those folks won't, and some will have worse coverage than they have now.  We have Bernie Sanders who isn't really a Democrat and who strikes me as more of a 1970s Eurocommunist every day.  We have the identity politics nitwits (Booker, Harris, Castro) who all ride buses where the wheels are about to come off over their outlandish statements.  We have Beto, who is a pandering idiot.  And we have others who aren't going to be nominated.  All of these people have run campaigns which, to date, make them vulnerable to Trump in the General Election.  The key to beating Trump was a broad based coalition with a moderate platform, and these folks have ne'er well made that impossible.

The only candidate that would CLEARLY (if nominated) beat Trump are Sen. Amy Klobuchar.  If he were not gay and married, I would put Mayor Pete in that category as well, but how being gay and married will play with the electorate in the end at the Presidential level is, at this point, an open question.  It's not 1972, but it's an "X" factor.  Klobuchar is, in my opinion, the most electable Democrat of the lot against Trump, but seems to get no traction.

So it seems that what the Democrats need to do at this point is Airlift a candidate into the process.  Cuomo is the kind of candidate for that; he has gravitas, he hasn't been soiled by the early debate hogwash, and while I certainly don't like his abortion policies, it won't kill him in battleground states.  From a political science viewpoint, the Democrats appear to be working hard to blow the 2020 election.  Trump ought to be a candidate that will be easy to oust from office, but these folks just can't resist self-indulgence in the way they go about seeking the Presidency.  Airlifting a Cuomo into the process is a way to undo that; he's the hero coming to the rescue.  I believe that the Democrats are in need of this kind of play, but it seems to be hard to convince them of that.

Unfortunately, no. I'd endorse Cuomo and support him in a heartbeat, but, it's far too late for anyone except a party politics icon like Gore or Clinton to jump in.

And to respond to the statements of some others - yeah. He'll probably get primaried again. Some young, TYT/Rose Twitter-backed girl with no name recognition will probably run a campaign like Cynthia Nixon did.

As for Republicans who might challenge him, I'm not sure.

Nick Langworthy is ascending fast in the state party. Rob Ortt is fierce. David Bellavia or Michael Caputo?
Duke of York

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2019, 11:53:21 PM »

Unfortunately, no. I'd endorse Cuomo and support him in a heartbeat, but, it's far too late for anyone except a party politics icon like Gore or Clinton to jump in.

And to respond to the statements of some others - yeah. He'll probably get primaried again. Some young, TYT/Rose Twitter-backed girl with no name recognition will probably run a campaign like Cynthia Nixon did.

As for Republicans who might challenge him, I'm not sure.

Nick Langworthy is ascending fast in the state party. Rob Ortt is fierce. David Bellavia or Michael Caputo?

Cuomo will likely get a primary challenger for a 4th term and someone likely a bit more substantial than Cynthia Nixon who had no clue what the job entailed or understating of the issues. He will likely win the nomination and the general thus achieving what his father could not. I dont see any of the people you mentioned winning. If Democrats retain the state senate in 2020 the GOP will be on the verge of irrelevance in New York.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2019, 01:15:48 AM »

Yes. It is.

Now I know you have a maroon avatar, so I presume you'd prefer a Sanders or a Warren to some of the other Dems running, but do you really think that this thing is going well for the Dems?

Not really, no.

They seem to be destined to nominate less than their strongest candidate. 

I'm not disputing that.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2019, 07:29:51 PM »

How often do governors have good fourth terms?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2019, 01:27:14 PM »

I don't see Cuomo getting in and Biden out. If Cuomo entered because Biden somehow flops before the primary voting begins, I would enthusiastically support his candidacy (probably the only one on this forum). Andrew Cuomo is a skillful, experienced and stable politician, who can get stuff done and deliver results. And he's a strong debater; as the nominee, he would moop the floor with Trump. If Joe Biden becomes president, there is a good chance he will be appointed attorney general or chief of staff. And he would be an excellent choice for either.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies