DCCC is focusing on suburban IN 5th over #populist MN 8th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:37:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  DCCC is focusing on suburban IN 5th over #populist MN 8th
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DCCC is focusing on suburban IN 5th over #populist MN 8th  (Read 2439 times)
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2019, 04:38:37 PM »

Donnelly was a terrible fit for IN-5, and ran a campaign that pandered to everywhere except there. Yet it still voted and swung for him.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2019, 06:29:50 PM »

I highly doubt either will flip, but it's good to see the DCCC has a brain for once. MN-08 is trending R so fast Dems couldn't even hold it in a D+9 wave, lol. Even Karin Housley carried it while losing statewide by double digits!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 06:36:29 PM »

No, trying to defeat an incumbent who won his last race by 6 points in a House seat that was one of three R pickups in a Democratic tidal wave would be dumb.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 06:39:09 PM »

Dems are going to have to super narrow the margin in the Hamilton County portion of IN-05 and not get blown out in the rurals in order to win this one.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 07:39:51 PM »

The only reason IN 5th was so R in 2018 is that the D's didnt even contest it thinking MUH CARPETBAGGING in IN 9th made it more likely to flip.  I remember Ann Wagner was a strong incumbent too and she only won by 3 points and MO 2nd is basically an identical version of IN 5th in a politically identical state. If D's actually contested it in 2018 it would have been closer than MN 8th.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2019, 07:40:51 PM »

Its possible to target both, people. It isnt one or the other.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 12:41:51 PM »

The only reason IN 5th was so R in 2018 is that the D's didnt even contest it thinking MUH CARPETBAGGING in IN 9th made it more likely to flip.  I remember Ann Wagner was a strong incumbent too and she only won by 3 points and MO 2nd is basically an identical version of IN 5th in a politically identical state. If D's actually contested it in 2018 it would have been closer than MN 8th.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »

Too bad, I usually tend to like the liberal representatives elected by populists more than the ones with support of woke suburbanites, but I can see that model is basically unsustainable now. Praise Klobuchar's heart for still being able to win the district.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2019, 03:23:26 AM »

I don't see IN-05 flipping in an average year, but if Trump were re-elected, then surely this would be a Democratic target?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2019, 10:17:34 PM »

Susan Brooks voted for the Equality Act.  If she gets Lugar'ed, I could see this as a prime pickup if the national environment is D-friendly come Election Day 2020.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2019, 08:11:33 AM »

I mean, not spending money on a district that's not going to exist anymore in two years does kind of make sense. Has nothing to do with these silly Atlas memes.

How?  The article stated that the district could disappear entirely after redistricting.  So what's the point in recruiting a candidate? 

If the Democrats get full control, it is possible Democrats could try to regain it by adding parts of the Twin Cities metro to the district.

No, because there won't be a MN-08 seat after redirecting anyway.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2019, 11:12:47 AM »

I mean, not spending money on a district that's not going to exist anymore in two years does kind of make sense. Has nothing to do with these silly Atlas memes.

How?  The article stated that the district could disappear entirely after redistricting.  So what's the point in recruiting a candidate? 

If the Democrats get full control, it is possible Democrats could try to regain it by adding parts of the Twin Cities metro to the district.

No, because there won't be a MN-08 seat after redirecting anyway.
Is it possible MN-08 stays? I've heard that California could lose 53 based on the trends of this year
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »

Susan Brooks voted for the Equality Act.  If she gets Lugar'ed, I could see this as a prime pickup if the national environment is D-friendly come Election Day 2020.

Defeated former state Sen. Mike Delph may challenge her, probably.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2019, 12:03:51 PM »

IN-5 is Likely D tbh. It's very well educated and is rapidly trending D. Brooks is a dead woman walking, and it won't be close. 2016 trends are set in stone, obviously. Biden will win Hamilton County too.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »

IN-5 is Likely D tbh. It's very well educated and is rapidly trending D. Brooks is a dead woman walking, and it won't be close. 2016 trends are set in stone, obviously. Biden will win Hamilton County too.

Likely D? Pffft, under what circumstances does Brooks win? Even a Trumpslide wouldn't save her. The only question is whether she or Finkenauer will lose by more.

My current predictions:
IA-01
Massive FF Rod Blum 63.5%
Massively Overrated Abby 33.1%

IN-05
Unbeatable Titan Generic D 65.2%
SOL Susie 34.8%
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »

Likely D? Pffft, under what circumstances does Brooks win? Even a Trumpslide wouldn't save her. The only question is whether she or Finkenauer will lose by more.

My current predictions:
IA-01
Massive FF Rod Blum 63.5%
Massively Overrated Abby 33.1%

IN-05
Unbeatable Titan Generic D 65.2%
SOL Susie 34.8%
I would wager Trump breaks 70% in IA-01. It's gone for Democrats. Finkenauer would be lucky to lose Linn County by 15% tbh.

Iowa = Yankee Alabama
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2019, 02:13:57 PM »

Ok stfu, but the dems are completely right to want to contest this and start setting up bases here over MN 8, we are looking to the future.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies