LC 1.18 Students Have Rights Too Act. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 06:34:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LC 1.18 Students Have Rights Too Act. (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LC 1.18 Students Have Rights Too Act.  (Read 6326 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« on: April 25, 2019, 11:03:35 AM »

I declare my opposition to this theocratic legislation
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 06:51:00 PM »

Can we just kill this theocratic legislation
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 11:37:57 AM »

I’m fine with Section II Part 1, 2, and 10, only. The rest of this bill is a thinly veiled attempt to turn Lincoln’s public school system into a theocracy. Private schools, such as Catholic schools, are already theocratic, there is no need to bring theocracy into public schools. Also this bill repeals affirmative action, which is a backward step, which will hurt minorities, such as myself.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 11:56:59 AM »

This bill has had more than 72 hours of debate, can I make a formal request to the Speaker to hold a final vote on it
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 11:58:46 AM »

I would like to propose an amendment

SECTION I: NAME
1. This act shall be called the Students Have Rights Too Act.

SECTION II: STUDENT RIGHTS IN PUBLIC PRIMARY AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS
1. Public school districts shall not discriminate against students or parents on the basis of their religious viewpoints or expressions of religion.
2. Students may wear clothing, accessories and jewelry that display religious messages or symbols in the same manner and to the same extent that other types of clothing, accessories and jewelry that display messages or symbols are permitted.
3. Students may express their beliefs about their religion in their class assignments, discussions, and artwork free of discrimination based on the religious content of their submissions. Such work must be evaluated by ordinary academic standards of substance and relevance. If assignments or artwork containing religious viewpoints are shown or made available to parents, the community, or the general public, it must be accompanied with a disclaimer that the viewpoints expressed are those of the student and are not endorsed by the school district.
4. Students in public schools may pray or engage in religious activities or religious expression before, during and after the school day in the same manner and to the same extent that students may engage in secular student-led activities or expression. Students may organize prayer groups, religious clubs, “see you at the pole” gatherings, or other religious gatherings before, during, and after school to the same extent that students may organize or participate in other extracurricular gatherings and groups. Religious groups must be granted the same access to school facilities as other student extracurricular groups.
5. Student-led religious groups or organizations may invite outside guests, such as clergy, religious leaders or parents, to speak, teach, or lead prayers at group meetings. Invited guests must be approved by school administration, pass a school district-approved background check, and not teach or endorse any viewpoints that are contrary to the law or school district curriculum. Guests may not be paid or materially reimbursed in any way by the school district, parent association, or student association.
6. Students who speak in public forums such as assemblies, morning announcements, graduation ceremonies, and sporting events shall be free to express their religious viewpoints to the extent that secular viewpoints would be permitted. Students who speak in such forums shall be selected based on neutral criteria. School districts and individual schools are free to establish time limits and other restrictions that do not infringe student expression. School administrators must provide disclaimers that student viewpoints are those of the student and are not endorsed by the school district through all relevant channels, including but not limited to oral announcement and written disclaimers in in the event program.
7. This act is not intended to, nor shall it be construed to, authorize this region or any of its political or administrative subdivisions to:
a. Require any person to participate in prayer or other religious activities.
b. Violate the constitutional rights of any person.
8. Upon reasonable suspicion of criminal activity, any educational personnel may request consent to search any student's belongings and/or property. The student that would be searched may, if they see fit, refuse consent to any such search. Such a refusal is not to be construed as insubordination. The taking of any disciplinary action by any educational official, as a response to refusal of consent to a request to search, is hereby prohibited. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting the right of an educational official to acquire a warrant for any search, to search when a warrant is possessed, or to search when a warrant is not required. Nothing in this section shall be construed as prohibiting "probable cause" based searches. Nothing in this section shall be construed as giving students property rights in an assigned locker, desk, or workspace.
9. Section IV of the Lincoln Gun Control Act mandating school employees search every item that enters a school before it enters a school is hereby repealed.

10. No student shall be required to obtain permission to possess lotion or sunscreen while at school.
11. No public school district may prohibit students from carrying bags or purses that are not transparent.
12. Any public school system may allow students in the same administrative district who are enrolled in a lawful home school program to participate in extracurricular activities conducted by the public school system, provided the home school students are subject to the same waiver of liability applicable to public school students.

SECTION III: STUDENT RIGHTS IN PUBLIC COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES
1. Every public College and University in Lincoln has an obligation to protect peaceful expressive activities by enrolled students. Any enrolled student who: physically obstructs another enrolled student or their guest from engaging in protected expressive activities or who causes a disruption for the purpose of preventing another enrolled student or their guest from engaging in protected expressive activities, shall be sanctioned by the College. Any student sanctioned under this subsection on 3 separate occasions, shall be suspended from the College for 1 year following a hearing. Any enrolled student who causes a disruption for the purpose of preventing another enrolled student or their guest from engaging in protected expressive activities by falsely pulling a fire alarm, threatening violence, or committing actual violence, shall be suspended from the college for 1 year, following a hearing.
2. Any outdoors public space on a public College, other than roadways, is a public forum. No public College may maintain a speech code prohibiting expressive activities in a public forum, other than enforcing reasonable noise limits between the hours of 11 P.M. and 7 A.M.
3. No public College shall consider the race or religion of any student when determining dormitory assignments.
4. Any student enrolled in a public College in Lincoln who has been accused of a crime, shall be entitled to due process prior to being suspended from the college. This shall include adequate notice of the time of, place of, and accusations being presented during a fair and impartial hearing, the right to attend the hearing with legal counsel, the right to offer evidence to challenge the accusations, the right to make a record or transcript of the hearing, and the right to address the hearing prior to a final decision.
5. No person enrolled in a public College or University who may lawfully own a weapon or firearm shall be prevented from storing their weapon or firearm inside a locked vehicle which is lawfully parked upon the boundaries of a public College.
6. The failure by any public College in Lincoln to abide by these requirements, shall result in a 25% reduction of funding.
7. The following information shall not be subject to Lincoln FOIA laws:
a.) The name, address, any identifying information, and any contact information of any student in a public school or public college in Lincoln.

SECTION IV: ENACTMENT
1. This act shall take effect forty-five (45) days after passage.
[/quote]
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »

I’m fine with Section II Part 1, 2, and 10, only. The rest of this bill is a thinly veiled attempt to turn Lincoln’s public school system into a theocracy. Private schools, such as Catholic schools, are already theocratic, there is no need to bring theocracy into public schools. Also this bill repeals affirmative action, which is a backward step, which will hurt minorities, such as myself.

How though? What is theocratic about it? You do realize some of what you call theocracy is mandated by the Superme Court right? Schools could get sued if some of these aren't adopted. II 8, 9, 11, and 12 dont even deal with religion.

Edit: also, where does this bill say anything about affirmative action? While I do think it should be eliminated, thats not anywhere in this bill. Did you actually read any of it?

Section III Part 3, basically repeals affirmative action

Also people should not be allowed to opt out of searches, that is a safety issue, not a religious one
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 08:03:08 PM »

AYE
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 10:45:28 PM »

I really don't think this bill does anything other than set Lincoln's public school system on a track towards theocracy
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 01:58:54 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2019, 02:02:38 PM by Minority Leader Suburban New Jersey Conservative »

If all mentions of religion and searching are removed from this bill, I may support it

Also with segregated dorms, this could have the opposite effect, where minorites just do not get dorm assignments, at all, you say it's preventing segregated dorms, but what it really does is roll back affirmative action

This law is a step backwards, and unless it is fixed, I cannot and will not support it
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 03:02:42 PM »

If all mentions of religion and searching are removed from this bill, I may support it

I notice you still aren't explaining how this is "theocracy" which is a very specific and negative word that in actuality has nothing to do with this bill. Your hostility appears to be directed at citizens who are religious, even though we have a right to be religious. By your logic anyone who is not an atheist is a "theocrat". I mean, are you ever going to answer the question of how saying any student can believe in any religion without retaliation is "theocracy"?

Also with segregated dorms, this could have the opposite effect, where minorites just do not get dorm assignments, at all, you say it's preventing segregated dorms, but what it really does is roll back affirmative action

Are you fuqing high?! Reread the following provision:
No public College shall consider the race or religion of any student when determining dormitory assignments.

There is no reading of the above sentence that could be interpreted as saying no affirmative action. This specifically says student, which means this only applies to already admitted students, not to applicants. And again, it says race cant be considered at all ... how would that only result in one race being singled out for exclusion? Such exclusion would by necessity require an illegal consideration of race. This applies solely to SEGREGATION which is supposed to be a bad thing. Why would it ever be appropriate to have a whites only students dorm or a blacks only dorm or a Scientologists only dorm?

Can you just be honest and change your name to Suburban New Jersey SJW Progressive?

No, because I am pro-life, oppose the ACA, opposed Dodd-Frank, support lower taxes, I supported Cramer, Morrisey, and Rosendale

Yet I am somewhere, called a progressive  Roll Eyes

There are just some issues that I hold moderate views on

Also it's not legal, but getting rid of considering race when providing dormitories, actually means that some racist administrators will no longer feel compelled to treat minority students, equally
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 08:15:06 PM »

Aye, it removes religion from schools, and gets rid of most of the bad provisions
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2019, 09:45:53 PM »

Private prayer in schools should absolutely be allowed. Atlasian/American secularity is not and should not be laïcité.

Usually it's liberals who support secularism, while conservatives tend to be more supportive of religious mentions. This is certainly a surprising view.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 09:55:48 PM »

Private prayer in schools should absolutely be allowed. Atlasian/American secularity is not and should not be laïcité.

Usually it's liberals who support secularism, while conservatives tend to be more supportive of religious mentions. This is certainly a surprising view.

Secularism, in our cultural context, does NOT mean the same thing as French-style laïcité, which is what you seem to be advocating here.

I am not a Christian so, I feel that with any religious mention, me and other non-Christians will be persecuted and/or ostracized
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 10:32:00 AM »

Secularism, in our cultural context, does NOT mean the same thing as French-style laïcité, which is what you seem to be advocating here.

I am not a Christian so, I feel that with any religious mention, me and other non-Christians will be persecuted and/or ostracized

But think about this from the other perspective for a second.

Let's take Muslim students for example. Islam mandates prayer five times a day, and at least one of those times is (I believe) almost certain to have its range mostly or entirely in school hours on any given day. Are you proposing that Muslim students should have to leave the campus daily to pray and then return to campus?

That sounds a lot more like actual persecution than some Christian students mentioning their faith in a non-school-promoted setting does.

I'm not a Muslim either, and while I have sympathy for these Christians and Muslims, them praying may make students of other religions, such as Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism, feel ostracized. Why do you want to take us back to the era of school prayer. I am part of their other religions, I am very skeptical of bringing religion into schools. The SC already outlawed school prayer, this bill literally allows school prayer
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 10:35:52 AM »

But think about this from the other perspective for a second.

Let's take Muslim students for example. Islam mandates prayer five times a day, and at least one of those times is (I believe) almost certain to have its range mostly or entirely in school hours on any given day. Are you proposing that Muslim students should have to leave the campus daily to pray and then return to campus?

That sounds a lot more like actual persecution than some Christian students mentioning their faith in a non-school-promoted setting does.

I'm not a Muslim either, and while I have sympathy for these Christians and Muslims, them praying may make students of other religions, such as Judaism, Buddhism, and Hinduism, feel ostracized. Why do you want to take us back to the era of school prayer

I'm not advocating "taking us back" to anything. Private prayer is currently not just legal but constitutionally protected, while school-organized prayer is constitutionally prohibited. Which is exactly how it should be.

People should not bring religion into schools, period. Why do you (a Mike Gravel supporter for California), of all people, support this bill?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2019, 10:40:50 AM »

Then they should go outside of the school, onto the playground or something, and pray during their lunch period, but only if no one can see them and if they do it in complete and utter silence
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 05:48:48 PM »

I object

I cannot support a bill that allows prayer in schools
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2019, 07:36:35 PM »

Tack, you’re rushing. There is clearly a compromise to be found here.

The compromise is to outlaw prayer I'm schools
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2019, 08:18:38 PM »

I would vote Aye on this but I don't want to be on atlas next week. Can someone who would vote no abstain to pair with me for abstention?(I would vote aye as long as thr says the full bill is friendly)

Is this on the final vote or the vote to override a filibuster
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 09:17:27 PM »

I would vote Aye on this but I don't want to be on atlas next week. Can someone who would vote no abstain to pair with me for abstention?(I would vote aye as long as thr says the full bill is friendly)

Is this on the final vote or the vote to override a filibuster

This is on both votes I guess.

I can Abstain on the final vote, because if the filibuster fails, there is no way that the bill would fail a final vote
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2019, 09:45:28 PM »

ATTN PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT THIS BILL: the unamended version is probably not passing. If you want parts of it at least, I’d recommend asking for debate to continue.

I agree, scrap the parts dealing with prayer in schools, and this bill earns my support
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 06:49:32 PM »

Still too generous in terms of school prayer, remove school prayer, entirely
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 07:00:31 PM »

Still too generous in terms of school prayer, remove school prayer, entirely
[/quote
Uh, we voted a more limited ammendment and that failed already. This version is even more limited. In fact it keeps school prayer fully intact

I oppose school prayer
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2019, 05:56:50 PM »

Nay
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine