Russian Navy may scrap its only aircraft carrier
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:41:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russian Navy may scrap its only aircraft carrier
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Russian Navy may scrap its only aircraft carrier  (Read 1122 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2019, 09:41:58 AM »

https://defence-blog.com/news/russian-navy-may-scrap-its-only-aircraft-carrier.html

Russia’s only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, may be decommissioned if the Ministry of Defense and industry wouldn’t resolve the question of the replacing the PD-50 floating drydock needed to complete the repair of the ship hull, was reported by newspaper Izvestia, citing a source in the Russian Navy.

Russian Navy is considering prematurely decommission of its only aircraft carrier after then the PD-50 floating drydock that housed it sank.

I'm devastated!
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 12:03:25 PM »

I wish I could say that this is alright and Russia needs to focus its efforts on diversifying its economy, but there's far too much hostility from NATO for that to be an option.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »

There is just no need for Russia to have an advanced navy, strategically speaking, considering that they don’t have any ports to protect and their trade is land-based.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 02:23:21 PM »

There is just no need for Russia to have an advanced navy, strategically speaking, considering that they don’t have any ports to protect and their trade is land-based.
indeed.  Every ruble spent on the Navy is one they can't spend on air, space, intel or cyber.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 05:38:55 PM »

Sevastopol, SPB, Vladivostok...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 05:54:59 PM »

Buh Rusha is a threat!!1!!!11!!!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 06:18:09 PM »

A general observation: Russia's always been screwed by its own geography when it came to accessing the high seas. Pretty ironic, isn't it, given it's the largest country on earth with thousands of miles of coastline, stretching from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

And yet it's pretty easy to block their access in case of war. They do have the access to the Baltics, but to leave the basin one need to cross the Danish Straits or the Kiel Canal, controlled by NATO countries. To make things even more complicated their only port that is ice-free for the entire year is Kaliningrad, an enclave surrounded by the EU and NATO.

In order to reach the Mediterranean you have to cross the Turkish Straits, which is not a problem during peacetime. Then to leave the Mediterranean and access the ocean you have to go through the Suez or Gibraltar. This immediately becomes a serious complication in the event of war or international crisis.

Their Arctic ports are frozen for good portion of the year and are mostly used for the subs. And in the East Japan and Korea can block Russia's access to the ocean. Vladivostok, too, isn't ice-free all year.

Historically Russia's been struggling to get a viable foothold into high seas, as evident with Peter the Great and Catherine the Great campaigns against Sweden and the Ottomans or, presently, with Syria. What interests Russia the most is to maintain their Mediterranean naval bases there. Naval bases were important factors in annexation of Crimea too, although there probably wouldn't be much problems with making deal with the Ukrainians.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 06:19:05 PM »

In other regards Russia is still very much of a threat. Their cyberwarfare capabilities alone proved they don't need a bloody fleet of aircraft carriers to project power.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 06:43:32 PM »

I wonder if the Chinese would be interested in buying her. They bought the half-completed sister ship of the Kuznetsov, Varvag, from Ukraine and completed her as the Liaoning. However, they already have the one carrier to experiment with and the Chinese made modifications to the design when completing her. (Most notably eliminating the anti-ship missiles used by the Soviets/Russians to claim the class was an aircraft-carrying cruiser instead of an aircraft carrier so as to sidestep the Montreux Convention.)  Given the age of the ship and its damage, I suspect that the Chinese would buy the Kuznetsov only if there are parts that can be used as spares for the Liaoning.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2019, 09:36:38 PM by Frodo »

Just for point of comparison, the Soviet Union had seven aircraft carriers built and operated.  Nearly all were decommissioned in the 1990s after the end of the Cold War.  This is the last of those Cold War-era carriers.   
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 11:45:24 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2019, 09:42:57 AM by Crumpets »

Battle of Kuznetsov: Dockyard victory -> Decisive dockyard victory

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2019, 05:37:02 AM »

Battle of Kuznetsov: Drydock victory -> Decisive drydock victory

Best thing ever.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 02:23:19 AM »

Battle of Kuznetsov: Dockyard victory -> Decisive dockyard victory

I have to confess I've now shared that on multiple discord servers. GOLD!
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2019, 03:41:52 PM »

Just for point of comparison, the Soviet Union had seven aircraft carriers built and operated.  Nearly all were decommissioned in the 1990s after the end of the Cold War.  This is the last of those Cold War-era carriers.   

I don't think those were super carriers like the Americans had, but still 7 is very impressive. The collapse of the USSR has been devastating for Russia.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2019, 03:59:32 PM »

I don't think those were super carriers like the Americans had, but still 7 is very impressive. The collapse of the USSR has been devastating for Russia.

I don't think any other country had "supercarriers" like the US Navy. For example British carriers were pretty small in comparision.
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.67, S: -2.92

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »

Russia has never really need the high seas. (Another example of how rational Putin and his advisors are when push comes to shove.)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2019, 05:09:13 PM »

Russia has never really need the high seas. (Another example of how rational Putin and his advisors are when push comes to shove.)

Whenever I think about the Russian navy, my mind goes to the hilarious failure that was their Baltic turned Pacific fleet in the Russian Japanese war.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »

I don't think any other country had "supercarriers" like the US Navy. For example British carriers were pretty small in comparision.

Had the Soviets completed the Ulyanovsk, they would've had one, but it's hull was only about 20% complete when the Soviet Union collapsed.
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.67, S: -2.92

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2019, 05:52:51 PM »

Whenever I think about the Russian navy, my mind goes to the hilarious failure that was their Baltic turned Pacific fleet in the Russian Japanese war.

Well...whenever I think about the Russian navy, I think about Rumbalotte. (One of my grandfather's favourite jokes. Google Translate does a reasonable job on this one.)

Russian warfare hasn't seen any failures since 2008.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 05:45:06 AM »

Russia's military has been suffering from accidents, decaying infrastructure and lack of abilities to upgrade in many areas. Interestingly after 1991 they stopped making spare parts for their choppers, believing that can always buy it abroad, which turned into a problem after the sanctions hit.

Of course Russia retains a formidable capabilities, but they have a real problem to deal with.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 04:57:39 PM »

The Russians accidentally shot up some British trawlers in the dogger bank incident on the way to the far east. The British were enraged enough to seriously considering declaring war. The Russian fleet would have been annihilated by the Royal Navy.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 05:13:48 PM »

The Russians accidentally shot up some British trawlers in the dogger bank incident on the way to the far east. The British were enraged enough to seriously considering declaring war. The Russian fleet would have been annihilated by the Royal Navy.

Wasn't there some problem with Russia having to go across Africa, unable to access the Suez?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »

Modern Russia in nearly every measurement is a sad shriveling entity compared to the USSR in the 1960s.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2019, 07:39:32 AM »

Hell, if the fishing boats the Russians tried to attack had a week to prepare, they probably could have beaten the Russian fleet by itself.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2019, 07:46:25 AM »

Russia's military has been suffering from accidents, decaying infrastructure and lack of abilities to upgrade in many areas. Interestingly after 1991 they stopped making spare parts for their choppers, believing that can always buy it abroad, which turned into a problem after the sanctions hit.

Of course Russia retains a formidable capabilities, but they have a real problem to deal with.

Basically the only reason why we still consider Russia a Great Power is because of its nuclear weapons. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies