Islamophobic shooting in Christchurch, NZ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:41:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Islamophobic shooting in Christchurch, NZ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Islamophobic shooting in Christchurch, NZ  (Read 9053 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »

Right move by the Austrian government.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2019, 12:34:37 AM »

Martin Sellner‘s ESTA visa waiver application to the US has been cancelled:

https://www.krone.at/1893354

This means he cannot visit the US any longer and his US girlfriend Brittany Pettibone and they also cannot marry in the US this summer.

Sellner goes on a rant and blames Strache, Kurz and Trump for it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2019, 07:27:17 AM »

I think the terrorist probably wanted more guns tbh.

He very specifically stated he chose guns because he wanted to create conflict over gun control.

will be fun to revisit this post when New Zealand near-unanimously passes a set of strict gun control measures some time next week

And I'll still be saying what I'm saying now. Giving into the desires of terrorists is weak. Especially when the issue of guns had nothing to do with this event. The terrorist made it very clear there were other methods he could have used to kill so many people. But it's useful to know that so many people are so simple minded to see it as another "muhhh less guns would fix all of our problems" event instead of what actually caused someone to carry out the act of violence, Jacinda included.

Yes he did have IEDs but those didn't go off, the guns significantly worsened the situation and its irresponsible to increase his ability to kill so many people. People realize assault weapons aren't necessary for hunting, many hunters have been handing them in voluntarily and are happy to give up those weapons as it's better for society not to have them. The key reason the US has so many mass shootings (and other gun deaths) than everyone else isn't that Americans are naturally more violent people, its because of the absurd looseness of US gun laws.
more Americans are killed by fists than all rifles combined
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2019, 10:42:57 AM »

I think the terrorist probably wanted more guns tbh.

He very specifically stated he chose guns because he wanted to create conflict over gun control.

will be fun to revisit this post when New Zealand near-unanimously passes a set of strict gun control measures some time next week

And I'll still be saying what I'm saying now. Giving into the desires of terrorists is weak. Especially when the issue of guns had nothing to do with this event. The terrorist made it very clear there were other methods he could have used to kill so many people. But it's useful to know that so many people are so simple minded to see it as another "muhhh less guns would fix all of our problems" event instead of what actually caused someone to carry out the act of violence, Jacinda included.

Yes he did have IEDs but those didn't go off, the guns significantly worsened the situation and its irresponsible to increase his ability to kill so many people. People realize assault weapons aren't necessary for hunting, many hunters have been handing them in voluntarily and are happy to give up those weapons as it's better for society not to have them. The key reason the US has so many mass shootings (and other gun deaths) than everyone else isn't that Americans are naturally more violent people, its because of the absurd looseness of US gun laws.
more Americans are killed by fists than all rifles combined
I think the terrorist wanted to tear society apart by turning people against people, brother against brother, and nation against nation. I fail to see how gun control measures meaningfully plays into that, as it had an opposing effect by building a consensus in New Zealand in the first place.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2019, 11:09:28 AM »

I think the terrorist wanted to tear society apart by turning people against people, brother against brother, and nation against nation. I fail to see how gun control measures meaningfully plays into that, as it had an opposing effect by building a consensus in New Zealand in the first place.
ok.  I was just pointing out that a tiny TINY fraction of people are killed by the much talked about "assault weapons".  It's an interesting fact because it wouldn't seem that way by the talking points.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2019, 12:44:55 AM »

The NYT has a very informative article about the Christchurch terrorist and the Austrian Identitarians:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/27/world/europe/new-zealand-attack-europe-far-right.html

The new "Profil" magazine cover:

"How dangerous are the Identitarians ? The global network of modern-day far-right extremism - and why they are becoming a challenge for the FPÖ."
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2019, 12:55:49 PM »

Kurz speaking a word of power (in the direction of his coalition partner FPÖ):

FPÖ should take a clear position

"I expect the FPÖ to take a clear stance and, if there are connections with the Identitarians, to intervene and separate them, any kind of intertwining with the Identitarians has to be cut. Looking the other way is not possible." stressed The Chancellor. "Right-wing radicals are no better than Islamist extremists, and both radical ideologies pose a threat to our country and have no place in our free and liberal society," Kurz said in the Oberösterreichische Nachrichten.

https://kurier.at/politik/inland/kurz-ruegt-fpoe-kein-umgang-mit-dieser-rechtsextremen-bewegung/400453402
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2019, 04:46:15 AM »

"An Adelaide man charged after allegedly posting comments online in support of the Christchurch terrorist attack has lost his bid to be allowed to use the internet."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-02/alleged-christchurch-supporter-fails-to-overturn-internet-ban/10963092

Imagine if the Australian Government ran the Atlas Forums.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2019, 02:13:40 PM »

Kurz speaking a word of power (in the direction of his coalition partner FPÖ):

FPÖ should take a clear position

"I expect the FPÖ to take a clear stance and, if there are connections with the Identitarians, to intervene and separate them, any kind of intertwining with the Identitarians has to be cut. Looking the other way is not possible." stressed The Chancellor. "Right-wing radicals are no better than Islamist extremists, and both radical ideologies pose a threat to our country and have no place in our free and liberal society," Kurz said in the Oberösterreichische Nachrichten.

https://kurier.at/politik/inland/kurz-ruegt-fpoe-kein-umgang-mit-dieser-rechtsextremen-bewegung/400453402

I'm pleasantly surprised given Kurz's overall image and style.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: April 04, 2019, 12:39:59 PM »

Tarrant also sent donations worth 1.000s of €s to the French Identitarians, not just the Austrians ones ...

Tarrant, who travelled extensively in Europe, including in Austria, raised money from speculating on crypto-currency, amassing some 200,000 Australian dollars (127,000 euros), "The Standard" reported.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/christchurch-gunman-brenton-tarrant-repeatedly-donated-to-european-extremists-report-2017932
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #185 on: April 04, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »

I've considered Kurz to be a PR project and a useful idiot for the far right, so I'm pleasantly surprised now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: April 04, 2019, 01:20:33 PM »

I've considered Kurz to be a PR project and a useful idiot for the far right, so I'm pleasantly surprised now.

We need to wait and see. Maybe he has the skills to drive the ÖVP up to 40% and the FPÖ below 20% in the long run ...
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2019, 06:03:47 PM »

Gun laws changed almost instantly.

Credit where it is due. You don't see this in the USA after a mass shooting.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=12221141
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies