Netanyahu Pledges to Annex Israeli Settlements in the West Bank... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:28:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Netanyahu Pledges to Annex Israeli Settlements in the West Bank... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Netanyahu Pledges to Annex Israeli Settlements in the West Bank...  (Read 1798 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 07, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »

Typical Netanyahu short-sightedness. Eliminating even the possibility of a two-state solution commits Israel to a path that at a minimum means abandoning its pretensions of being a liberal democracy. Moreover, when eventually Israel no longer has military superiority, as will inevitably happen tho not anytime soon, it makes any outcome other than a complete elimination of the State of Israel, much like the crusader states of a millennium ago, pretty much impossible. Still, I can see why he's unlikely to worry about something that's unlikely to happen this century.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:42:27 AM »

Except Trump won't be President forever. I can't see how Israel can maintain the perception of being a democratic bastion if it makes a West Bank state unviable unless it integrates the whole West Bank, but if does that then the non-Haredi Jews will be a minority. If that happens, it's difficult to see how Israel can remain a democratic secular Jewish state.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:18:21 PM »

Except Trump won't be President forever. I can't see how Israel can maintain the perception of being a democratic bastion if it makes a West Bank state unviable unless it integrates the whole West Bank, but if does that then the non-Haredi Jews will be a minority. If that happens, it's difficult to see how Israel can remain a democratic secular Jewish state.

Again, I'm so sure what the issue is. The Israeli populace doesn't seem to care about public perception or remaining secular. And even without Trump, I'd be hard pressed to single out a current top-tier dem nominee(maybe Sanders) who would actually hold Israel accountable.

I wasn't trying to imply that Israel is facing any short-term risks even with Bibi.  However, on Israel's current course, I can easily see the US going from a supporter of Israel on a bipartisan basis (with the only real disagreement on how best to support Israel) to a country some decades from now where neither party gives a fig what happens in the area. Once that happens I can't see Israel maintaining military superiority over its neighbors. Bibi's fundamental flaw is that he acts as if the present situation is permanent. He doesn't act in a manner that suggests he considers what might go wrong.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies