SB17-01: Terrorism and Piracy Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:57:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB17-01: Terrorism and Piracy Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB17-01: Terrorism and Piracy Act (Passed)  (Read 1199 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: April 12, 2019, 06:38:37 PM »

Isn't life imprisonment a bit harsh for piracy? I think a smaller punishment (like say, 12 years in prison) should be fine. Of course if they murder someone while commiting piracy that does add up to life imprisonment
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 08:52:23 AM »

Isn't life imprisonment a bit harsh for piracy? I think a smaller punishment (like say, 12 years in prison) should be fine. Of course if they murder someone while commiting piracy that does add up to life imprisonment

The unique thing about true piracy is that it violently exploits captive victims who are trapped on a boat and are especially vulnerable. Its not that they are stealing, they are purposely endangering the lives of everyone on a victim boat. Since that particular punishment is irl law already and we are not in anyway making the penalty itself more severe, I'm hesitant to turn a bill designed to stamp out piracy into a bill designed to sympathize with pirates. Irl we elect to extradite most of the pirates we capture to other countries which should eliminate some of the existing sentence concern.

Fair enough.

I'm also kind of surprised at the fact that Atlasia is not a signer of the LOTST and that this law could make other countries angry, but they aren't huge concerns in any case.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 04:33:39 PM »

What is the "DATE" thing specified in the bill? Shouldn't we specify some date there or is that up to the president?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies