Is it sexist to comment on the looks of female politicians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:00:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is it sexist to comment on the looks of female politicians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is it sexist to comment on the looks of female politicians?  (Read 798 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2019, 01:01:43 PM »

I've read some complaints on Social Media about commenting on the looks of female politicans. Is someone, especially men, who does this really considered a sexist? I've noticed I comment or think about looks as well and a lot more often than about male politicians. However, I wouldn't go as far as to judge the person by looks. There are some I strongly dislike for the policies, but who are attractive (such as Kirstjen Nielsen). I think it's becoming dangerous if honest complements are no longer appropriate.

Any thoughts?
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 01:15:31 PM »

I suppose it is, to an extent.

But as long as you don't go overboard I don't really care if you find a female politician hot or ugly or whatever else.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 06:41:47 PM »

Yes, but only if you just do it for females.  If you comment on the look of all politicians it should be ok.

(and people that say they don't judge people by looks are liars)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 06:44:43 PM »

Outside of the rare unicorn of equality and respect, most comments are ridiculous and incredibly sexist. Shows where we are in a society in which the clowns running the race think that is relevant for us to know.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 08:10:47 AM »

Believing that some people are attractive and some are not is not sexism. If you think it is then you need to learn what sexism is. It can only be sexist if you make comments in a way that actually shows a belief in the inferiority of one gender. Just saying "she's hot" does not do that. If I'm going to be chastised for thinking some people are attractive and some aren't, then bring on the 1984.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 10:32:57 AM »

No.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 10:53:47 AM »

Yes, if you treat female politicians differently than male politicians, that’s the definition of sexism. If you don’t, that’s not sexism. I don’t know how this could be confusing...
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2019, 10:22:48 AM by Storebought »

Yes, but only if you just do it for females.  If you comment on the look of all politicians it should be ok.

(and people that say they don't judge people by looks are liars)

When you call them out for only judging female politicians for hotness, the sexist commenter will reply, like clockwork, "I don't know how attractive a man is because I'm not gay." Who ever knew sexism and homophobia were that closely entwined?
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:32 AM »

I don't quite agree with the 'both sexes' idea. I think you'd find that if you asked a group full of straight women about say... Martin Heinrich, you'd probably get some comments about his looks.

It depends on the context. If you are interrupting an intelligent discussion about a woman's qualifications to say 'dude she's hawt!' or acting dismissive and/or creepy, that is sexist. But I think it's also possible to respect a woman's political qualifications and also be attracted to her and that isn't sexist.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 04:11:09 PM »

No. People do the same for dudes, so what?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 04:14:48 PM »

Depends on if she’s hot or not.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 06:29:52 PM »

I don't quite agree with the 'both sexes' idea. I think you'd find that if you asked a group full of straight women about say... Martin Heinrich, you'd probably get some comments about his looks.

It depends on the context. If you are interrupting an intelligent discussion about a woman's qualifications to say 'dude she's hawt!' or acting dismissive and/or creepy, that is sexist. But I think it's also possible to respect a woman's political qualifications and also be attracted to her and that isn't sexist.

Seems like the correct answer.

I'd just say if you're constantly evaluating women by their appearance to just ask yourself if you're paying attention to everything else as much as you are men (or however it is depending on who you're attracted to). For example, if you think "Bill is smart, Dave is a little awkward but seems nice, Samantha is ugly, but Jane is an 8," you might be a tad sexist.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 12:04:20 AM »

You spelled Senator Dreamboat wrong.

Signed,
A straight male
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 05:31:05 PM »

I heard plenty of women say Obama was good looking, and the opposite for politicians they don't like. Really don't see the alleged double standard here.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 09:09:34 PM »

Generally this. It is natural to be more concerned about the looks of the sex you are attracted to.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 05:33:20 AM »

As long as it's not used to denigrate the person you're talking about, because appearance shouldn't matter in politics, I wouldn't think it's sexist. I think I have a few comments here complimenting the good looks of some male candidates.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 10:41:38 AM »

Yes, if its the first thing you say about her.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 12:17:01 AM »

Seems like the correct answer.

I'd just say if you're constantly evaluating women by their appearance to just ask yourself if you're paying attention to everything else as much as you are men (or however it is depending on who you're attracted to). For example, if you think "Bill is smart, Dave is a little awkward but seems nice, Samantha is ugly, but Jane is an 8," you might be a tad sexist.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with these comments.

Commenting on a women's appearance isn't automatically sexist, but it certainly can be the start of a slippery slope. You could say the same thing about commenting on a man's appearance, but that type of sexism is probably less common in the United States.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 01:12:21 AM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies