Israeli politics general thread: 2019 and beyond - the dawn of the monarchy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:45:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli politics general thread: 2019 and beyond - the dawn of the monarchy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israeli politics general thread: 2019 and beyond - the dawn of the monarchy  (Read 2644 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« on: April 11, 2019, 05:06:46 PM »

I'm trying to word this in a way that doesn't make me come across as a problematic Gentile, but I think the Israeli Right is playing a dangerous game in that it constantly seems to attack the diaspora as lily-livered (or even self-hating) even though most of the diaspora are Zionists with affinity for the idea of the Israeli state. Israel as a state isn't supposed to be just "a country with lots of Jews in it" but act as a sort of representative of all Jewish people. I feel like a lot of Jews - not just the likes of Gerald Kaufmans or even Jewdas-  are genuinely uncomfortable with Netanyahu becoming synonymous with their identity, especially as in certain countries the issue has become incredibly partisan.

What I am trying to say is that, for Israel to just not care about the diaspora would be an abdication of a lot of soft power. I would wager that most American Jews, if forced to chose between their affinity with the Democratic Party and a distant nation that implies they're a bunch of effette self-haters will probably go with the former tbh.

I get what you're trying to say and there is some truth to it, but Israel is not supposed to nor should it ever be treated as the representative of all Jewish people.  It's supposed to be representative of Israelis.

I would hazard that this totally depends on how integral you believe an Israel is to one's Jewish identity. I know some American Jews who very much still see it as the unifying concept for Jews worldwide despite being diaspora.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies