Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:18:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14322 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »
« edited: May 16, 2019, 06:27:04 PM by RINO Tom »

^ No one here has threatened to kill you, so maybe you could just leave that one in the rear view mirror?  People here have typed at length about their specific concerns with the writing, and you have not extended the same effort toward defending the writing.  You just deflect because there are aspiring murderers and apparent stalkers out there who happen to share our view ??

And you touched on one of our points: D&D have demonstrated that they are very good at their jobs when they have source material but lack the creativity and storytelling prowess to put a good product out there without it.

And I am going to keep mentioning it. I don't care if anyone on this site has or not. Especially when your reponse to the whole thing has been "That's bad."

And they signed on to adapt a book series they were assured would be finished. You cannot hold them at fault for literally having to complete a story they had no role in creating in a completely different medium. But I'm just looking at this logically of course. What do i know?

Okay...

1) LMFAO, what should our response be beyond that?!  Change our views on the script?  Haha, PM me your address and we can all go in on a card and some chocolates to send you.  I’ll call your local police and plead with them to get you an armed guard outside your house, too.  In the meantime, I suggest avoiding Reddit and YouTube!

2) Oh, but I can.  I can expect them to do MUCH better than this.  And they haven’t.  They have managed to subvert everyone’s expectations!  It’s telling you can’t even budge on one aspect of the writing, too ... D&D claimed Dany “forgot” about the Iron Fleet a mere scene after she was across from Jon strategizing it and he mentions it?!  Come on, dude, if you’re going to defend this abortion, at least give an inch to not look like you’re related to them.

When the vast majority of people can see how dumbed down the writing has gotten and can accurately see D&D as mediocre writers and you find yourself in the other corner, it might be at least worth CONSIDERING that you need to re-evaluate?  After all, the death threat guy could be a lunatic who belongs in jail but also happens to have accurately perceived the atrocity that is this season’s writing, lol.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2019, 10:32:26 AM »

Been out of the country for a while and just watched it last night ... Sad

Pumped for this prequel, let's just leave it at that.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 03:16:21 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhKOV3nImQ

This video is horrifyingly accurate. Sad
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »

What does everyone think of this proposed ending for Season 8?

I like this guy's alternative ending, though I have questions as to how Arya is wearing Jaime's face when the original owner is still alive, and I think it more fitting for Daenerys to have triplets with Jon Snow as opposed to just one child, perhaps two sisters and one brother in an echo of Aegon and his two sisters.  

I will watch this when I get home, but I am of the opinion that any *ending* that does not treat the White Walkers as the ultimate enemy and that does not properly fulfill the thematic progression of undermining the importance and relevance of the Iron Throne, nobility and the generally pointless wars and violence that Westeros has experienced is just going to fall flat.  We have spent seasons being beaten over the head with the message that the White Walkers (or, if we are being real, climate change) is this true enemy that can only be defeated once humans can see PAST Westerosi politics, and the humans who can't need to face a consequence for that.  The whole series (and the original examples of *SuBvErTiNg ExPeCtAtIoNs* Wink like Ned's death and the Red Wedding) is so unique and cool because people in this show face real consequences for their own bad decisions.  It doesn't matter that Ned was the main protagonist and super honorable ... he was foolish, and he died for it.  It didn't matter that Robb married a different girl than he was promised to for the noble cause of love ... he died for it, because it was strategically foolish, and the blindness caused by love made him walk right into a situation he should have been weary of.  Those were AWESOME twists and shocking moments because they actually commented on fantasy tropes and truly made us as the audience feel devastated.  To see characters like Cersei not only not face any consequences for COMPLETELY spitting on the theme of the series but actually BENEFIT from it ... sucks.  The further decisions to have everyone do things completely shattering their character arcs and/or have certain main characters completely relegated to side roles (looking at you, Jon!) simply to do the unexpected is so stupid.  This series was special, and even if it had ended WELL the direction they took it ... it was no longer anything different once the Night King was so anticlimactically dealt with, with no lore or anything.

This is all just my personal opinion, of course, but D&D had a choice - tell an ending to a "Game of Thrones" that featured cool fire scenes or tell an ending to "A Song of Ice and Fire" that completed this epic journey ... they chose the first one, thinking that was their strong suit, and they somehow failed miserably at that, too. Sad
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies