Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:02:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 13952 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2019, 12:44:30 PM »

Finally here...
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »

That was very much a first episode; more concerned with setting up conflicts for the upcoming episodes than anything else.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 09:52:51 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2019, 10:31:33 PM by Blue3 »

I loved all the reunions

I'm glad Yara got away safe.

But it looks like Winterfell will have one more soldier too: Theon. Interesting.

Jon's dragon-riding was less climactic than I thought... but the reveal to Jon sure was dramatic.

It'll be interesting of Jorah is able to convince the other Northerners to trust Daenerys. Though there might not be time for that, with the battle approaching. Though that might also be the answer, if they win.

What was Arya's weapon design that she gave to Gendry?

Poor Umber boy.

Looking forward to Bran and Jaime's interactions.

Imagine if Bronn does kill Tyrion (or Jaime)... Sad

What did everyone think of the opening?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 09:46:20 AM »

I generally approved ... 8/10.  It was a semi-rushed (by necessity) episode to set up the next two.  The moment with Sam was top notch and kind of stole the show.  Visually, it was flawless.

Pumped for next week, which interestingly looks like it will contain the start of a battle (from watching the preview).

P.S.  I LOVED the scene at the Last Hearth.  I was worried they would dumb down the White Walkers a bit too much in this rushed final season, and - while I guess they still could - it was refreshing to see them emphasize the spiral symbol right off the bat in the premiere ... it gives me some hope that they will still dive into the mythology of the White Walkers a bit more.  Also, for people who think that the living will win the Battle of Winterfell in Episode 3 and defeat the Night King and then turn their attention toward Cersei in Kings Landing (~50% of the fan base from what I have seen), you are now predicting that the Night King will literally be in TWO episodes and will only see battle action in one ... not buying it.  Our crew is definitely going to have to retreat south.
ltomlinson31
Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 10:20:47 AM »

My favourite parts of the episode:

1) Basically everything from Danaerys and Sam, and watching Sam struggling to contain his emotions, to Sam telling Jon who he was in the crypt.

2) Seeing Ned Umber slowly waking up as a White Walker in the background over Tormund's shoulder as he's talking. That was creepy, and since it was the only appearance of the wights in the episode, they did a good job with it.

Overall a good episode. Theon rescuing Yara felt rushed and it was mainly setup that will pay off later but I enjoyed it otherwise.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:23:51 AM »

I generally approved ... 8/10.  It was a semi-rushed (by necessity) episode to set up the next two.  The moment with Sam was top notch and kind of stole the show.  Visually, it was flawless.

Pumped for next week, which interestingly looks like it will contain the start of a battle (from watching the preview).

P.S.  I LOVED the scene at the Last Hearth.  I was worried they would dumb down the White Walkers a bit too much in this rushed final season, and - while I guess they still could - it was refreshing to see them emphasize the spiral symbol right off the bat in the premiere ... it gives me some hope that they will still dive into the mythology of the White Walkers a bit more.  Also, for people who think that the living will win the Battle of Winterfell in Episode 3 and defeat the Night King and then turn their attention toward Cersei in Kings Landing (~50% of the fan base from what I have seen), you are now predicting that the Night King will literally be in TWO episodes and will only see battle action in one ... not buying it.  Our crew is definitely going to have to retreat south.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the gang is going to get it's ass kicked in Episode 3 and have to stage a retreat.

I guess we all knew that Kid Umber was dead the second Sansa told him to go bring his people back (what no ravens to Umber?). 

I like that Cersei expressed our disappointment at not having elephants.  As a book nerd I'm still mad that the whole Rickon goes to the isle of the super wildlings and their unicorn creatures got ditched.  Also cranky that House Manderly was never part of the show as they seemed quite skilled in the books and their ships would be handy for a retreat.  Of course, that's probably where Yara comes in.  Again, as a book nerd having it done via House Reed and the crannogmen would be cool (and Meera's still out there somewhere) but that ain't gonna happen.  Yara just gets to sail up wherever and give them a lift.

The Bran-Jamie reunion was a great one cause Jamie gets the same look everyone gets from Bran, except Jamie don't know that.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »

And while it was nice of Cersei to hire Bronn to move him north also, why would anyone think he'd actually do it?  Where is Brienne BTW?
ltomlinson31
Canada

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:19 PM »

And while it was nice of Cersei to hire Bronn to move him north also, why would anyone think he'd actually do it?  Where is Brienne BTW?

She was in the hall and could be seen when Tyrion was talking and was behind Sansa when she welcomed Dany.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 02:09:49 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that the gang is going to get it's ass kicked in Episode 3 and have to stage a retreat.

I guess we all knew that Kid Umber was dead the second Sansa told him to go bring his people back (what no ravens to Umber?). 

I like that Cersei expressed our disappointment at not having elephants.  As a book nerd I'm still mad that the whole Rickon goes to the isle of the super wildlings and their unicorn creatures got ditched.  Also cranky that House Manderly was never part of the show as they seemed quite skilled in the books and their ships would be handy for a retreat.  Of course, that's probably where Yara comes in.  Again, as a book nerd having it done via House Reed and the crannogmen would be cool (and Meera's still out there somewhere) but that ain't gonna happen.  Yara just gets to sail up wherever and give them a lift.

The Bran-Jamie reunion was a great one cause Jamie gets the same look everyone gets from Bran, except Jamie don't know that.

I mean, you can say that, but think about it: if they retreat where exactly will the final battle be? Winterfell is probably THE most iconic location in the series. At this point, Winterfell and the Red Keep are the only two places on the map in the opening and the city is deeply tied to both magic and the Stark's identity. Nowhere else in the North comes close to its importance; if they retreat from Winterfell where would they go? Nowhere but Winterfell works in a narrative sense for the final battle unless they flee all the way to King's Landing, which doesn't seem very likely to fit into five episodes while still dealing with Cersei.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »

I mean, you can say that, but think about it: if they retreat where exactly will the final battle be? Winterfell is probably THE most iconic location in the series. At this point, Winterfell and the Red Keep are the only two places on the map in the opening and the city is deeply tied to both magic and the Stark's identity. Nowhere else in the North comes close to its importance; if they retreat from Winterfell where would they go? Nowhere but Winterfell works in a narrative sense for the final battle unless they flee all the way to King's Landing, which doesn't seem very likely to fit into five episodes while still dealing with Cersei.

The last four episodes are two hours each Tongue
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 05:16:09 PM »

Nicholas Cage joining the cast in the next season.....

https://www.boredpanda.com/nicolas-cage-of-thrones-game/
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 09:44:56 PM »

With the actors for Robyn Arryn and Edmure Tully in the cast list for this season, I wonder how they're going to come into this.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 11:50:16 PM »

I have no idea how anyone can think this episode was rushed.

The Theon/Yara story was rushed.  The way Theon's story was set up at the end of last season, with him being the one person among our heroes who wasn't going straight to Winterfell, made it look like he was being set up for a multi-episode arc in that rescue.  But he managed to rescue her in like 30 seconds in the first episode of the season.

Also, the fact that Euron is already back in Westeros and Theon's rescue of Yara happens in Westeros rather than Essos, means that we really are presumably done seeing Essos for good.  Which I guess means that we're unlikely to see Daario again.

In other news...am I alone in wondering if Tyrion actually made some kind of secret deal with Cersei, or otherwise has something up his sleeve that he's not sharing with the others?  Sure, Sansa's got a point about Tyrion being naive to believe his sister.  But the fact that the show went out of it's way to tell us that Tyrion was naive to believe her, followed by an awkward Bran stare down of Tyrion, made it seem like the show was trying to tell us that Tyrion is hiding something here.

A less likely conspiracy theory I thought of is that Cersei didn't actually order Qyburn to commission Bronn to kill her brothers, and that Qyburn himself is doing this on his own for some unknown reason.  I really don't think that theory is true.  I just wanted to mention it so that I can get credit for thinking of it in the unlikely event it pans out.  Tongue
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 12:34:00 AM »

I was disappointed that the first episode only had 50 minutes.

I seem to remember that they said each of the final episodes would be 90 minutes long ...

Other than that it was mostly OK.

Did you notice that the dragons seemed to be highly skeptical of incest (the look one of them gave to Jon when he fondled Danaerys ?)

So, we can rule out that dragons are of Austrian, West Virginian or Kentucky origin by default ...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2019, 12:46:52 AM »

I seem to remember that they said each of the final episodes would be 90 minutes long ...
I think they said the "average" was going to be 90 (or whatever) minutes per episode, not that they would all be 90 minutes long.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2019, 01:11:59 AM »

I think they said the "average" was going to be 90 (or whatever) minutes per episode, not that they would all be 90 minutes long.

No, none of them are 90 minutes long.  Though episodes 3, 4, 5, and 6 will all be over 75 minutes.  Here are the runtimes for all of them:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/crystalro/game-of-thrones-season-8-run-times
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2019, 05:41:06 AM »

I loved all the reunions

I'm glad Yara got away safe.

But it looks like Winterfell will have one more soldier too: Theon. Interesting.

Jon's dragon-riding was less climactic than I thought... but the reveal to Jon sure was dramatic.

It'll be interesting of Jorah is able to convince the other Northerners to trust Daenerys. Though there might not be time for that, with the battle approaching. Though that might also be the answer, if they win.

What was Arya's weapon design that she gave to Gendry?

Poor Umber boy.

Looking forward to Bran and Jaime's interactions.

Imagine if Bronn does kill Tyrion (or Jaime)... Sad

What did everyone think of the opening?

Arya's weapon, my guess, is some sort of double-ended spear with dragonglass that detaches into two halves.

Speaking as someone who does HEMA as a hobby, that is a f***ing terrible idea.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »

My prediction is as of now the living will use the secret tunnels below Winterfell (hinted at and foreshadowed way too much throughout the series) to escape, and they'll retreat to Kings Landing.  They will have no choice but to try to take the city before Cersei does something crazy like light it up with wild fire and add one million more to the Army of the Dead, and AS that battle is beginning the snow/wind will start swirling, and Episode 5 will be epic.  I don't think they CAN defeat the Night King's army; I think it will have to be by some "magic technicality" that Bran will need to discover.

I just refuse to accept that even D&D will screw up the entire theme of the series and make the final battle simply one crazy lady for the throne vs. a barely crazy lady with dragons.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »

Again, I've been corrupted by the books, but I assume that the Night King is headed back to the place from which he's created, the Isle of Faces, which we've only briefly seen via Bran.  It's located between the Riverlands and King's Landing.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2019, 07:22:44 PM »

The Hound is clearly Azor Ahai. I promise that this theory video contains only the absolute truth:
https://youtu.be/FJzvIPmOv5g
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 05:36:36 AM »

My prediction is as of now the living will use the secret tunnels below Winterfell (hinted at and foreshadowed way too much throughout the series) to escape, and they'll retreat to Kings Landing.  They will have no choice but to try to take the city before Cersei does something crazy like light it up with wild fire and add one million more to the Army of the Dead, and AS that battle is beginning the snow/wind will start swirling, and Episode 5 will be epic.  I don't think they CAN defeat the Night King's army; I think it will have to be by some "magic technicality" that Bran will need to discover.

I just refuse to accept that even D&D will screw up the entire theme of the series and make the final battle simply one crazy lady for the throne vs. a barely crazy lady with dragons.

After the Winterfell storyline in season seven, I put nothing beneath them.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »

Again, I've been corrupted by the books, but I assume that the Night King is headed back to the place from which he's created, the Isle of Faces, which we've only briefly seen via Bran.  It's located between the Riverlands and King's Landing.

Great YouTube channel called SmokeScreen that has been predicting that the Night King is headed for the God's Eye ... I really hope he's right, as that would be a lot better storytelling.  However, I have to wonder if that's too complex for D&D.

After the Winterfell storyline in season seven, I put nothing beneath them.

Lol, fair...
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2019, 03:11:26 AM »

Who would each win each region of Westeros if it was the UK? Assume Labour, Conservative, and Liberal Dems. I would assume that there would be North and Dorne nationalist parties as well.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2019, 11:19:34 AM »

Who would each win each region of Westeros if it was the UK? Assume Labour, Conservative, and Liberal Dems. I would assume that there would be North and Dorne nationalist parties as well.

Don't know quite enough about the regions to assume too much, but I think the Reach and the Westerlands would vote Conservative.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »

I loved that episode.

Brienne being knighted by Jaime, a "Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" - this was really her episode more than anybody's
Podrick's song about Jenny of Oldstones
Arya/Gendry... I was actually shocked. Though now Gendry might die, and Arya have his child.
Theon... Theon to protect Bran in the godswood, Theon and Sansa
Davos & Gilly
Jorah Mormont & Lyanna Mormont
Arya with the Hound some more (and Beric)
Daenerys & the Starks accepting the help of Jaime Lannister
Probably the last kiss of Missandei and Grey Worm, with them dreaming of sailing to Naarth when the wars are over
Ghost the direwolf!
No arrival of Bronn to Winterfell, so I think it's safe to say at least one of the Lannister brothers will survive.

Bran confirms he is the target, the Night King's plan is kill him and erase all memory of the past (Could Bran's body die, but he "pass on" the Three-Eyed Raven ability to someone else at Winterfell right now?)

Jorah receiving Heartsbane from Sam... I hope that's not leading to what I think, the combination of Jorah and a sword with that name, the sword of the Tarly family.... I've worried for a while that that might be the path...

Though Daenerys/Sansa was going so well at first, that tension at the end... same with the tension at the end of Daenerys/Jon...

The only thing missing from this episode was some Sansa/Hound interaction, and more of Ghost interacting with the Starks/Theon/Daenerys
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies