Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:59:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14196 times)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2019, 11:45:01 PM »

Very good set-up ep. Wish it had been longer (just like i did for the previous one) but whatever, it did its job. I really liked how they allowed us to savor what are probably our last moments with some of these characters. I especially liked Jaime knighting Brienne, that was very nice. As well as the montage of what all the characters were doing while Podrick sang the Jenny of Oldstones song, that's really made me realize how "doomsday" this whole situation was.

Also that Ghost appearance.......is that really all we're getting of him?!

Jorah receiving Heartsbane from Sam... I hope that's not leading to what I think, the combination of Jorah and a sword with that name, the sword of the Tarly family.... I've worried for a while that that might be the path...

I forgot all about the Jorah = azor ahai theory....while it's probably unlikely, it sure is fun to think about
ltomlinson31
Canada

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2019, 11:55:30 PM »

I liked the episode. It had this feeling of dread and impending doom around it (and it really kicked in for me from the moment they were planning how to deal with the dead and stuck with me through the rest of the episode). It had a lot of nice character moments, and this episode feels like it'll be even better on re-watches after we see who dies and who had their last moments here.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2019, 02:36:54 AM »

Jorah receiving Heartsbane from Sam... I hope that's not leading to what I think, the combination of Jorah and a sword with that name, the sword of the Tarly family.... I've worried for a while that that might be the path...

I forgot all about the Jorah = azor ahai theory....while it's probably unlikely, it sure is fun to think about
That's not what I was thinking of.

If Jorah survives the next episode, and Daenerys doesn't take the R+L=J news well, I can see Jorah killing her with Heartsbane, the family sword of the Tarly's avenging them, with Jorah basically ripping out his own heart in order to do it if she's going Mad Queen.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2019, 08:47:44 AM »

Who would each win each region of Westeros if it was the UK? Assume Labour, Conservative, and Liberal Dems. I would assume that there would be North and Dorne nationalist parties as well.

Don't know quite enough about the regions to assume too much, but I think the Reach and the Westerlands would vote Conservative.

You sure? Given their fairly lax attitude towards homosexuality (when compared with the rest of Westeros), I always assumed they were one of the more progressive regions.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2019, 09:28:26 AM »

Perfect setup episode in that it kind of returned to the show's roots before it ran out of book material - characters interacting with each other rather than rushed plot.  This was especially powerful, IMO, because this is probably the last time we will ever see characters really just being themselves.

Next week will be absolutely insane.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »

It was a good night.  The Brienne knighting was the best.  Didn't much care for Arya geting it on, cause she's like everyone's little sister (sure trained assassin little sister).  Tormund is a freak.  Bronn didn't show up, so I guess Tyrion or Jaime will survive (most likely Tyrion) the battle.  Jaime and Theon (and Gendry, I guess) seem almost certain for death.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2019, 03:37:14 PM »

Who would each win each region of Westeros if it was the UK? Assume Labour, Conservative, and Liberal Dems. I would assume that there would be North and Dorne nationalist parties as well.

Don't know quite enough about the regions to assume too much, but I think the Reach and the Westerlands would vote Conservative.

You sure? Given their fairly lax attitude towards homosexuality (when compared with the rest of Westeros), I always assumed they were one of the more progressive regions.

I missed this.  I figured the Reach would be conservative on the grounds that it is heavily agricultural and always struck me as sort of "economically conservative," but yeah you have a point.  I feel pretty confident about the Westerlands, though.
Mzal98
mzal98
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2019, 04:51:03 PM »

Honestly that was probably one of my favourite episodes of the series, seeing all the characters come together like that. Fun seeing how the different characters are handling their impending sense of doom (Arya). Definitely hyped beyond belief for episode 3 and ready for all the deaths that it will bring.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2019, 08:06:42 PM »

I missed this.  I figured the Reach would be conservative on the grounds that it is heavily agricultural and always struck me as sort of "economically conservative," but yeah you have a point.  I feel pretty confident about the Westerlands, though.

Not gonna disagreee with you there.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2019, 08:33:25 PM »

A less likely conspiracy theory I thought of is that Cersei didn't actually order Qyburn to commission Bronn to kill her brothers, and that Qyburn himself is doing this on his own for some unknown reason.  I really don't think that theory is true.  I just wanted to mention it so that I can get credit for thinking of it in the unlikely event it pans out.  Tongue

I suspect that Qyburn acting as the messenger there has more to do with the fact that Lena Headey and Jerome Flynn refuse to act in any scenes together, due to a nasty breakup a few years ago.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2019, 08:39:13 PM »

A less likely conspiracy theory I thought of is that Cersei didn't actually order Qyburn to commission Bronn to kill her brothers, and that Qyburn himself is doing this on his own for some unknown reason.  I really don't think that theory is true.  I just wanted to mention it so that I can get credit for thinking of it in the unlikely event it pans out.  Tongue

I suspect that Qyburn acting as the messenger there has more to do with the fact that Lena Headey and Jerome Flynn refuse to act in any scenes together, due to a nasty breakup a few years ago.

It's not just a refusal. It's actually in their contracts.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2019, 11:30:42 PM »

What if the White Walkers only want to abduct their long lost brother, Little Sam (Gilly's son)?  They invade Winterfell and grab him, and then immediately turn around and return north, never bothering the Seven Kingdoms again?

So anyway, is there any chance Melisandre shows up in the next episode to play some role in the fight against the dead (ideally with some elephants)?  Or hey, what about Nymeria?  Maybe Bran can warg into all the animals in the forest, to help fight on the side of the living?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2019, 11:13:44 PM »

So anyway, is there any chance Melisandre shows up in the next episode to play some role in the fight against the dead (ideally with some elephants)?

I'm wondering the same thing.  I feel like the core themes of 'Ice and Fire' have been underplayed so far.  The 'Ice' side of the upcoming war is obvious, but clearly the 'Fire' side is represented by the Lord of Light (plus Dany's dragons, although that's now a 2:1 split across either side now).  My own Hail Mary theory is that Melisandre has further developed her power to raise the dead, so that she'll show up and convert (some of) the Night King's army back to their side.  Probably not tomorrow's episode though; I suspect it'll be once the dead have marched on King's Landing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 06:32:22 AM »

one of the three spin offs is dead
While HBO is well into production on one of the Game of Thrones prequel scripts it commissioned last year, one of the potential spin-off series is dead. Game of Thrones writer and co-executive producer Bryan Cogman, who has written 11 episodes of the series (including Sunday’s “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”), confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that his spin-off is no longer in the works.

“I was developing one of the successor shows with George [R.R. Martin]. George has worked with a bunch of the writers, including Jane [Goldman], whose show is being done [as a pilot]. My prequel show is not happening and will not happen. HBO decided to go a different way,” he told the publication
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 12:42:01 PM »

My own Hail Mary theory is that Melisandre has further developed her power to raise the dead, so that she'll show up and convert (some of) the Night King's army back to their side.

She should return with an army of red priests, who'll all spend the whole battle resurrecting everyone who falls.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 06:50:38 PM »

So I've been rewatching the series for a few weeks and I'm of the mind that it seems like there are a million story threads being trod underfoot owing to the needs of our "final battle" scenario. The religious aspect in particular I feel like has been completely left by the wayside since Stannis was defeated. It seemed like earlier seasons were building toward something cosmic. After all, our protagonist has been raised from the dead, but that matters nought when he gets to shack up with Danerys. I could be wrong, my memory of the series is shaky and I'm only in S2 of my current attempt at a rewatch.

My own Hail Mary theory is that Melisandre has further developed her power to raise the dead, so that she'll show up and convert (some of) the Night King's army back to their side.

She should return with an army of red priests, who'll all spend the whole battle resurrecting everyone who falls.

In keeping with what I stated above, we don't know what happened to her?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 09:47:33 PM »

that episode was crazy
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 10:46:34 PM »

Can someone tell me if Ghost lived? I'm gonna be real upset if he didn't. God, that scene of him charging with the Dothraki was so beautiful but so sad
hes alive hes in the next episode preview I thought he died too
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2019, 11:58:37 PM »

It seemed pretty good.  Now, I'll have to adjust the brightness on the TV so I can see what actually happened.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 12:06:41 AM »

Some might complain that it was skimpy on killing off big characters, but lots of things to still do.  Actually glad that Grey Worm and Missandei survived, cause there's no reason they should have to die in the land of racist hicks.

Aside from creating a cool visual, what genius thought sending the Dothraki out was a good idea?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »

A lot of people complaining about the Night King on YouTube . . .

I wish they'd stop pretending they have to be catered to and they have to be personally satisfied with everything. Like it or not, this is probably how the books will go, because they're hitting all the major story points.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2019, 12:31:42 AM »

Some might complain that it was skimpy on killing off big characters, but lots of things to still do.  Actually glad that Grey Worm and Missandei survived, cause there's no reason they should have to die in the land of racist hicks.

Aside from creating a cool visual, what genius thought sending the Dothraki out was a good idea?

Yeah, like who actually thought that would work? You had a sense that wouldn't right from the get go. And now Daenerys lost like half her army in one fell swoop because of that.

And yeah, no big character is safe going forward except Sansa, Bran, and maybe Arya. They let way too many important people live in tonight's episode, and there will almost assuredly be a bloodbath to come.

Well my theory all along was that the War for the Dawn was going to be wrapped up in episode 3. There is at least one more major battle to go, as Miguel Sapochnik is directing one more episode. That will likely be the final battle of the show.
ltomlinson31
Canada

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2019, 12:37:11 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2019, 12:51:17 AM by ltomlinson31 »

Some might complain that it was skimpy on killing off big characters, but lots of things to still do.  Actually glad that Grey Worm and Missandei survived, cause there's no reason they should have to die in the land of racist hicks.

Yeah, like who actually thought that would work? You had a sense that wouldn't right from the get go. And now Daenerys lost like half her army in one fell swoop because of that.

And yeah, no big character is safe going forward except Sansa, Bran, and maybe Arya. They let way too many important people live in tonight's episode, and there will almost assuredly be a bloodbath to come.

Yeah, I understand they wanted to set the tone for the episode, but sending all of the Dothraki just charging head-on into 100,000 wights was absurdly stupid. The placement of the trebuchets was bad too.

That said, there was a lot I liked about the episode. I feel like all of the deaths that did happen were all done well and I did like seeing how terrified everyone was from the moment the battle started. Lyanna's probably hit me the most even though she wasn't the biggest character who died. The music was also great. I just wish I could see what was happening.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »

the best part-Arya killing 30 wights in 20 seconds

the worst part-how confusing the "dragon battles" were
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »

Yeah, I understand they wanted to set the tone for the episode, but sending all of the Dothraki just charging head-on into 100,000 wights was absurdly stupid. The placement of the trebuchets was bad too.

The Dothraki Charge may have been absurd and stupid but there are numerous real-life examples of similar follies, such as the Charge of the Light Brigade during the Crimean War.  Or the massive but doomed infantry assaults by the Union Army of the Potomac on Marye's Heights at Fredericksburg or the Confederate charge at Cemetery Ridge at the battle of Gettysburg on July 3.  And that's just to pick some better known examples.  So hardly unrealistic. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies