Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:45:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14334 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »

it may be wise to throw 2000 "super" cavalry at 100,000 lightly armed militia in the hopes of getting them to break and run, but this was 100,00 lightly armed militia that was undead.  Magic things don't break and run.

I'm not going to speculate on what they (the good guys) should have done or what I would have done, but they made some, what looked to me at least, huge tactical mistakes in the battle.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2019, 10:52:26 AM »

not going to lie....the ending was wack as f@ck. the episode wasn't bad just.......disappointing and lame
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2019, 12:05:12 PM »

not going to lie....the ending was wack as f@ck. the episode wasn't bad just.......disappointing and lame

They mentioned during the behind the scenes segment they've known how this goes down for the last 3 years.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »

My friends are giving me so much shlt (while also agreeing with me, I might add) since my nightmare scenario of D&D going 110% in on dumbing down the White Walkers and defeating them halfway through the final season only for the final conflict to be two aristocrats battling for the same old throne actually came true ... absolutely amazing episode until the end.  I was livid afterward, lol.  This sums up my thoughts quite nicely, but in the end they simply threw out eight years of foreshadowing and thematic progression in favor of simplicity, and it's sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BgnxTWW7sc
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2019, 02:33:05 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2019, 04:20:15 PM by Blue3 »

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillaume/game-of-thrones-arya-stark-night-king-foreshadowing?fbclid=IwAR3FJOg0w4zS7Qj4bU7WGy3qUi9Z2Ry3xj98MkC5kbSSfMwrYd0ZwlvFc44

Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2019, 05:05:46 PM »

So I've been rewatching the series for a few weeks and I'm of the mind that it seems like there are a million story threads being trod underfoot owing to the needs of our "final battle" scenario. The religious aspect in particular I feel like has been completely left by the wayside since Stannis was defeated. It seemed like earlier seasons were building toward something cosmic. After all, our protagonist has been raised from the dead, but that matters nought when he gets to shack up with Danerys.

The show is nothing but generic fantasy schlock now. Which, like, if that's what the average viewer wants, then great. But it's terribly disappointing artistically.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2019, 06:44:48 PM »

While interesting and all for arya to take on the night king it felt like a kick in the balls to turn azor ahai into a red herring the battle was amazing and I loved it I just wish we got to see Jon and the Night King go mono e mono they have been building it up since hard home
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »

While interesting and all for arya to take on the night king it felt like a kick in the balls to turn azor ahai into a red herring the battle was amazing and I loved it I just wish we got to see Jon and the Night King go mono e mono they have been building it up since hard home
But THAT is what would be too tropey, too generic-fantasy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2019, 06:59:33 PM »

indeed.  It's kind of funny, all these GoT "fans" pissed off that they didn't get the ending they expected...isn't that why we fell in love in the first place, they didn't give us what we expected?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2019, 07:19:02 PM »

In universe, the Azor Ahai prophecy can be twisted after the fact to fit what happened, just like "prophecy" in the real world. I kinda like it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2019, 07:20:00 PM »

indeed.  It's kind of funny, all these GoT "fans" pissed off that they didn't get the ending they expected...isn't that why we fell in love in the first place, they didn't give us what we expected?

Someone gets it at last. The whole Night King vs Jon Snow showdown was too predictable. Plus, I'm certain Jon would have lost on a duel. The Night King was always going to have to be killed by someone sneaky.

Either way, we know Martin despises traditional fantasy tropes. There has been a voice in my head for a while saying Martin threw in the whole prophecy as a giant red herring.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2019, 07:40:57 PM »

isn't that why we fell in love in the first place, they didn't give us what we expected?

No, you f***ing idiot. The dumbest hack writer in the world can write an "unexpected" twist.

ASOIAF was unique because it was a brutal, realistic fantasy setting where actions had consequences, heroes didn't have plot armour, deaths were deaths and not heroic, battles and wars didn't solve anything, political intrigue was petty squabbling, there weren't any faceless motivationless chaotic evil baddies etc. etc.. Ned Stark wasn't killed just to make a unexpected twist for cheap shock value, but to make a point about the world of Westeros and the world we live in. All of that is out the window by now, the show is generic fantasy fanservice, dick jokes and cool shots of dragons.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2019, 07:48:22 PM »

isn't that why we fell in love in the first place, they didn't give us what we expected?

No, you f***ing idiot.
wow, that escalated quickly.  Perhaps you're too emotionally invested in this?  It's just a show.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2019, 08:09:06 PM »

Lol nah, I emotionally checked out of GOT a long time ago.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2019, 08:18:24 PM »

No, you f***ing idiot. The dumbest hack writer in the world can write an "unexpected" twist.

ASOIAF was unique because it was a brutal, realistic fantasy setting where actions had consequences, heroes didn't have plot armour, deaths were deaths and not heroic, battles and wars didn't solve anything, political intrigue was petty squabbling, there weren't any faceless motivationless chaotic evil baddies etc. etc.. Ned Stark wasn't killed just to make a unexpected twist for cheap shock value, but to make a point about the world of Westeros and the world we live in. All of that is out the window by now, the show is generic fantasy fanservice, dick jokes and cool shots of dragons.

If it was a generic fantasy show, Jon would have killed the Night King for no other reason than 'prophecy says so'.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2019, 09:01:27 PM »

did anybody else make 3 Stooges noises when two wights tried to go through a door at the same time to get Arya?
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2019, 09:36:42 PM »

did anybody else make 3 Stooges noises when two wights tried to go through a door at the same time to get Arya?

More like Benny Hill theme.

Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2019, 09:38:56 PM »

So I've been rewatching the series for a few weeks and I'm of the mind that it seems like there are a million story threads being trod underfoot owing to the needs of our "final battle" scenario. The religious aspect in particular I feel like has been completely left by the wayside since Stannis was defeated. It seemed like earlier seasons were building toward something cosmic. After all, our protagonist has been raised from the dead, but that matters nought when he gets to shack up with Danerys.

The show is nothing but generic fantasy schlock now. Which, like, if that's what the average viewer wants, then great. But it's terribly disappointing artistically.

Well I'm still hoping the Lord of Light keeps GRRM alive to finish the books with his version of the story.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2019, 09:49:00 PM »

Well I'm still hoping the Lord of Light keeps GRRM alive to finish the books with his version of the story.

Martin has told them all the major plot points. D and D mentioned they've known it was Arya for three years. People seem to either forget about or wholesale ignore this.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2019, 10:56:25 PM »

My friends are giving me so much shlt (while also agreeing with me, I might add) since my nightmare scenario of D&D going 110% in on dumbing down the White Walkers and defeating them halfway through the final season only for the final conflict to be two aristocrats battling for the same old throne actually came true ... absolutely amazing episode until the end.  I was livid afterward, lol.  This sums up my thoughts quite nicely, but in the end they simply threw out eight years of foreshadowing and thematic progression in favor of simplicity, and it's sad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BgnxTWW7sc

*In principle*, I don’t mind the White Walker storyline ending with 3 episodes left to go, but I agree with the rest of your post.  The White Walker storyline ended in the dumbest possible way, with our heroes pulling a The Phantom Menace and disintegrating the entire Army of the Dead just by offing its leader.  We don’t even get any additional mythology that fleshes out their motives.  Apparently “The CotF made them and then they got out of control” is the entirety of the WW mythology.  They’re just cartoon villains and nothing more.

l was hoping at the very least that there might be some wrinkle in the Night King death scenario whereby the other White Walkers are freed from his spell and now go off to make their own destiny.  But alas, they all just shatter.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2019, 11:26:40 PM »

Martin has told them all the major plot points. D and D mentioned they've known it was Arya for three years. People seem to either forget about or wholesale ignore this.

Wait, so you're saying that GRRM told D&D that Arya was supposed to be the one to kill the Night King?

Let me put it this way: I will be very surprised if the way it goes down in the books is drastically different. It would be very Martin-like to just say that the prophecy was all a red herring chucked in to mislead readers.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2019, 11:37:39 PM »

Guys, the books are the books and the show is the show.  We have both to enjoy for what they are, so let’s do that instead of getting angry that the show and books aren’t the same (because that ship sailed in season 2, for better or worse).  I say that as someone who far prefers the books to the show.  Expecting them to be the same at this point is like asking a mongoose to be a horse.  You can scream until you’re blue in the face, but it ain’t happening.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2019, 11:41:52 PM »

Guys, the books are the books and the show is the show.  We have both to enjoy for what they are, so let’s do that instead of getting angry that the show and books aren’t the same (because that ship sailed in season 2, for better or worse).  I say that as someone who far prefers the books to the show.  Expecting them to be the same at this point is like asking a mongoose to be a horse.  You can scream until you’re blue in the face, but it ain’t happening.

My understanding is that Martin gave thme the major plot points, so they hit those and largely fill the rest with their own stuff.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2019, 12:07:55 AM »

I haven't read the books, and am just concerned with the show.  I'm saying that I think the way the WW storyline ended on the show was dumb in and of itself, without regard to how it relates to the books or anything else.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2019, 12:13:00 AM »

The grumbling here seems to assume that with three episodes to go we're only going to have an anticlimactic final battle with Cersei. She and her mad maester Qyburn will obviously have been doing more than just waiting for the war in the north to come to a conclusion.  I can easily see Qyburn's researches coming up with something as bad as white walkers, or perhaps his own version of them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies