Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:55:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14179 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: May 16, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »

People really need to relax a bit. Even if Season 8 is an increasingly worse trainwreck terms of writing - which is a shame, because the acting has been excellent - no series is worth getting excessively vitriolic.

For all the problems I have with this season, it's worth pointing out Emilia Clarke has been absolutely phenomenal.

Indeed! I've never really liked her acting as Daenerys besides Season 1 and some of the few epic moments in Essos, and yet her performance this season has been excellent. If anything that makes the writing problem even more frustrating, that performance combined with good writing for the season could have been epic.

- I really liked that ShowArya ended up letting go of her desire for revenge and living for the future instead of letting her anger about the past destroy her (even if GRRM probably deserves credit for this rather than D&D) and her calling the Hound "Sandor" was a nice touch

Given how much I've criticized Arya in past years for being a psychopath I admit this was a very nice moment, and a welcome turn for the character.

Threatening someone with death is not "excessive vitriol". It's taken to a whole different level that's not acceptable on any level.

You keep bringing up "death threats" made against you that were by people not on Atlas. At least 10 times. It sucks that people suck, but dude, it's really getting old and it sounds like you need to see a counselor if it's bothering you that much that you have to repeat that ad nauseum here as a deflection point for when you get butthurt that people have legitimate criticisms of the poor show writing in Season 8. I'm sorry someone else on a completely different website threatened your life. That is probably a scary thing. But you have repeatedly lumped RINO Tom and anyone else who dares criticize season 8 in with that threat undeservedly. No one on this website threatened your life. So please stop treating it as we did.

No, I'm just a completely stupid moron who knows nothing about anything decent. At least that's the impressions I get from here.

God, I hate this fanbase.

me me Me mE ME

Good job on not actually responding to anything. Not that I should expect anything different at this point.

I don't want to clog up the irony thread with stuff about a TV show, but dude ... look back at your response to people!  They'll bring up a problem they have with the show's writing and you have thrown out plenty of non sequiturs about how someone online wants to kill you.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2019, 04:58:11 PM »

People really need to relax a bit. Even if Season 8 is an increasingly worse trainwreck terms of writing - which is a shame, because the acting has been excellent - no series is worth getting excessively vitriolic.

For all the problems I have with this season, it's worth pointing out Emilia Clarke has been absolutely phenomenal.

Indeed! I've never really liked her acting as Daenerys besides Season 1 and some of the few epic moments in Essos, and yet her performance this season has been excellent. If anything that makes the writing problem even more frustrating, that performance combined with good writing for the season could have been epic.

- I really liked that ShowArya ended up letting go of her desire for revenge and living for the future instead of letting her anger about the past destroy her (even if GRRM probably deserves credit for this rather than D&D) and her calling the Hound "Sandor" was a nice touch

Given how much I've criticized Arya in past years for being a psychopath I admit this was a very nice moment, and a welcome turn for the character.

Threatening someone with death is not "excessive vitriol". It's taken to a whole different level that's not acceptable on any level.

You keep bringing up "death threats" made against you that were by people not on Atlas. At least 10 times. It sucks that people suck, but dude, it's really getting old and it sounds like you need to see a counselor if it's bothering you that much that you have to repeat that ad nauseum here as a deflection point for when you get butthurt that people have legitimate criticisms of the poor show writing in Season 8. I'm sorry someone else on a completely different website threatened your life. That is probably a scary thing. But you have repeatedly lumped RINO Tom and anyone else who dares criticize season 8 in with that threat undeservedly. No one on this website threatened your life. So please stop treating it as we did.

No, I'm just a completely stupid moron who knows nothing about anything decent. At least that's the impressions I get from here.

God, I hate this fanbase.

me me Me mE ME

Good job on not actually responding to anything. Not that I should expect anything different at this point.

I don't want to clog up the irony thread with stuff about a TV show, but dude ... look back at your response to people!  They'll bring up a problem they have with the show's writing and you have thrown out plenty of non sequiturs about how someone online wants to kill you.

When one side is threatening to kill people (and I have been followed home by someone) then of course I'm going to be bitter.

All I'll say is this: They were assured books would be finished. They are not, and the writers were largely given the task of untangling many stupid plot threads that Martin had overcomplicated. They literally have no other source material to go off of.

But hey, we're living in a world where liking season 8 is illegal or something.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »

^ No one here has threatened to kill you, so maybe you could just leave that one in the rear view mirror?  People here have typed at length about their specific concerns with the writing, and you have not extended the same effort toward defending the writing.  You just deflect because there are aspiring murderers and apparent stalkers out there who happen to share our view ??

And you touched on one of our points: D&D have demonstrated that they are very good at their jobs when they have source material but lack the creativity and storytelling prowess to put a good product out there without it.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »

^ No one here has threatened to kill you, so maybe you could just leave that one in the rear view mirror?  People here have typed at length about their specific concerns with the writing, and you have not extended the same effort toward defending the writing.  You just deflect because there are aspiring murderers and apparent stalkers out there who happen to share our view ??

And you touched on one of our points: D&D have demonstrated that they are very good at their jobs when they have source material but lack the creativity and storytelling prowess to put a good product out there without it.

And I am going to keep mentioning it. I don't care if anyone on this site has or not. Especially when your reponse to the whole thing has been "That's bad."

And they signed on to adapt a book series they were assured would be finished. You cannot hold them at fault for literally having to complete a story they had no role in creating in a completely different medium. But I'm just looking at this logically of course. What do i know?
We Live in Black and White
SvenTC
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.81, S: -6.82

« Reply #254 on: May 16, 2019, 05:30:01 PM »

After not watching Game of Thrones at all following Season 5, I made the snap decision to try and watch the final season this year.

I regret everything.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2019, 06:27:04 PM by RINO Tom »

And I am going to keep mentioning it. I don't care if anyone on this site has or not. Especially when your reponse to the whole thing has been "That's bad."

And they signed on to adapt a book series they were assured would be finished. You cannot hold them at fault for literally having to complete a story they had no role in creating in a completely different medium. But I'm just looking at this logically of course. What do i know?

Okay...

1) LMFAO, what should our response be beyond that?!  Change our views on the script?  Haha, PM me your address and we can all go in on a card and some chocolates to send you.  I’ll call your local police and plead with them to get you an armed guard outside your house, too.  In the meantime, I suggest avoiding Reddit and YouTube!

2) Oh, but I can.  I can expect them to do MUCH better than this.  And they haven’t.  They have managed to subvert everyone’s expectations!  It’s telling you can’t even budge on one aspect of the writing, too ... D&D claimed Dany “forgot” about the Iron Fleet a mere scene after she was across from Jon strategizing it and he mentions it?!  Come on, dude, if you’re going to defend this abortion, at least give an inch to not look like you’re related to them.

When the vast majority of people can see how dumbed down the writing has gotten and can accurately see D&D as mediocre writers and you find yourself in the other corner, it might be at least worth CONSIDERING that you need to re-evaluate?  After all, the death threat guy could be a lunatic who belongs in jail but also happens to have accurately perceived the atrocity that is this season’s writing, lol.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2019, 09:12:56 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2019, 09:20:49 PM by GoTfan »

Okay...

1) LMFAO, what should our response be beyond that?!  Change our views on the script?  Haha, PM me your address and we can all go in on a card and some chocolates to send you.  I’ll call your local police and plead with them to get you an armed guard outside your house, too.  In the meantime, I suggest avoiding Reddit and YouTube!

2) Oh, but I can.  I can expect them to do MUCH better than this.  And they haven’t.  They have managed to subvert everyone’s expectations!  It’s telling you can’t even budge on one aspect of the writing, too ... D&D claimed Dany “forgot” about the Iron Fleet a mere scene after she was across from Jon strategizing it and he mentions it?!  Come on, dude, if you’re going to defend this abortion, at least give an inch to not look like you’re related to them.

When the vast majority of people can see how dumbed down the writing has gotten and can accurately see D&D as mediocre writers and you find yourself in the other corner, it might be at least worth CONSIDERING that you need to re-evaluate?  After all, the death threat guy could be a lunatic who belongs in jail but also happens to have accurately perceived the atrocity that is this season’s writing, lol.

I see you decided to ignore my point about them bring signed on to adapt books and not create an original show.

But of course, it's easier to scream that this is the worst show in the history of television.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2019, 09:16:34 PM »

After not watching Game of Thrones at all following Season 5, I made the snap decision to try and watch the final season this year.

I regret everything.

I mean, the first two episodes were both very good. Episodes 3 and 5 were very well-made technically outside of the writing.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2019, 09:30:18 PM »

I regret everything.

I mean, the first two episodes were both very good. Episodes 3 and 5 were very well-made technically outside of the writing.

I can certainly agree with that.  Last Sunday’s episode would have been fantastic viewing for anybody who hasn’t watched any of the preceding 71 episodes.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2019, 09:36:23 PM »

I regret everything.

I can certainly agree with that.  Last Sunday’s episode would have been fantastic viewing for anybody who hasn’t watched any of the preceding 71 episodes.

Seen every episode about 5 times and read each book the same. I liked both of them, but that breaks dome sort of international law.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #260 on: May 16, 2019, 09:38:57 PM »

I mean no disrespect as you otherwise seem like a fine poster and such, but I have to put you on ignore for a little while.  Your recent posts here add zero value to the thread.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #261 on: May 16, 2019, 09:41:09 PM »

I mean no disrespect as you otherwise seem like a fine poster and such, but I have to put you on ignore for a little while.  Your recent posts here add zero value to the thread.

How brave of you.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #262 on: May 16, 2019, 10:00:20 PM »

What will be the fates of the surviving supporting cast...

1. Grey Worm?
2. Davos?
3. Bronn?
4. Brienne?
5. Pod?
6. Sam/Gilly?
(there's also Tormund, but we know he's already going back to the "true North")

Also, if someone kills Daenerys (Jon or Arya or Tyrion or Bran-possessed Drogon, whoever)... what exactly happens to the surviving Unsullied and Dothraki, and to Drogon?
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #263 on: May 16, 2019, 10:01:15 PM »

What will be the fates of the surviving supporting cast...

1. Grey Worm?
2. Davos?
3. Bronn?
4. Brienne?
5. Pod?
6. Sam/Gilly?
(there's also Tormund, but we know he's already going back to the "true North")

Also, if someone kills Daenerys (Jon or Arya or Tyrion or Bran-possessed Drogon, whoever)... what exactly happens to the surviving Unsullied and Dothraki, and to Drogon?

I think Grey Worm is likely to die. Can't speak to the others.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #264 on: May 17, 2019, 11:32:55 AM »

I regret everything.

Seen every episode about 5 times and read each book the same. *snip*

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #265 on: May 18, 2019, 07:47:14 AM »

I regret everything.

Except I have.

But of course someone I've never met before on the internet knows exactly what I do.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2019, 02:21:26 PM »

I regret everything.

Except I have.
*snip*

GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #267 on: May 19, 2019, 03:19:43 AM »

I regret everything.

Except I have.
*snip*

Ah, so we're troll mode now i see.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #268 on: May 19, 2019, 11:09:39 AM »

Any last predictions?

I predict:

* Bran's magic will be important in some way (possessing Drogon?)

* Sansa will be Queen (of probably just the North)

* Daenerys will die but Jon won't be King (or only as briefly as Daenerys will be considered Queen)

* I don't know about Arya or Tyrion, but I think Tyrion is likely to die

* I don't know about the secondary characters like Davos/Bronn/Brienne/Pod/Sam/Gilly/etc. except that Grey Worm will probably die too (though not sure what happens to the Dothraki and Unsullied)

* I hope there's a flash-forward epilogue, so we can see that the new peace does last

* As for whether Westeros either breaks up, centralizes, or takes a step towards democracy... I think the North and Iron Islands become independent, and maybe Dorne becomes independent too, but the rest of Westeros (Crownlands, Stormlands, Riverlands, the Vale, Lannister lands, and Highgarden/the Reach) will become more centralized with a stronger monarch who is chosen by a council of the lords to determine the succession, so there are no more wars for succession or bad monarchs who inherit the throne due to bloodline. Maybe they'll choose someone like Davos, a good guy who always has good advice and knows how to rally, but has never desired power himself.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #269 on: May 19, 2019, 11:41:28 AM »

I regret everything.

Except I have.
*snip*

Ah, so we're troll mode now i see.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #270 on: May 19, 2019, 02:16:48 PM »

Sorry about the double post, but this is hilarious.  Apparently this petition asking HBO to redo GoT season eight with competent showrunners has over a million signatures. 

https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #271 on: May 19, 2019, 07:05:33 PM »

Gods I hope the finale isn't a disaster.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #272 on: May 19, 2019, 07:27:34 PM »

somewhat persuaded that the showrunners have made this season (so far) deliberately horrible in order to deliver a mediocre ending that will look great by comparison to the rest of the season
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #273 on: May 19, 2019, 08:50:52 PM »

Looks like the leaks were correct. Boooooo
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #274 on: May 19, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »

Well that was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies