Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:29:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14265 times)
Enduro
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: June 06, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »

I just want to put out there that all of the best characters in the show had unsatisfying endings.
First off, the Night King is the worst big bad ever with all that build up only to be outlasted by Cersei
Let's have Dany be evil at the end for no apparent reason.
Oh, and Jaimie, the most interesting character development in the show? Yeah, let's just go back on that, so he can die protecting the person holding him back the entire series.
Why is Jon Snow going back to the Night's Watch? Because it still needs to exist for some reason.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #326 on: June 06, 2019, 03:16:21 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhKOV3nImQ

This video is horrifyingly accurate. Sad
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #327 on: June 06, 2019, 07:18:56 PM »
« Edited: June 07, 2019, 07:46:27 AM by Frodo »

What does everyone think of this proposed ending for Season 8?

I like this guy's alternative ending, though I have questions as to how Arya is wearing Jaime's face when the original owner is still alive, and I think it more fitting for Daenerys to have triplets with Jon Snow as opposed to just one child, perhaps two sisters and one brother in an echo of Aegon and his two sisters.  
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #328 on: June 07, 2019, 11:44:28 AM »

I like this guy's alternative ending, though I have questions as to how Arya is wearing Jaime's face when the original owner is still alive, and I think it more fitting for Daenerys to have triplets with Jon Snow as opposed to just one child, perhaps two sisters and one brother in an echo of Aegon and his two sisters.  

I will watch this when I get home, but I am of the opinion that any *ending* that does not treat the White Walkers as the ultimate enemy and that does not properly fulfill the thematic progression of undermining the importance and relevance of the Iron Throne, nobility and the generally pointless wars and violence that Westeros has experienced is just going to fall flat.  We have spent seasons being beaten over the head with the message that the White Walkers (or, if we are being real, climate change) is this true enemy that can only be defeated once humans can see PAST Westerosi politics, and the humans who can't need to face a consequence for that.  The whole series (and the original examples of *SuBvErTiNg ExPeCtAtIoNs* Wink like Ned's death and the Red Wedding) is so unique and cool because people in this show face real consequences for their own bad decisions.  It doesn't matter that Ned was the main protagonist and super honorable ... he was foolish, and he died for it.  It didn't matter that Robb married a different girl than he was promised to for the noble cause of love ... he died for it, because it was strategically foolish, and the blindness caused by love made him walk right into a situation he should have been weary of.  Those were AWESOME twists and shocking moments because they actually commented on fantasy tropes and truly made us as the audience feel devastated.  To see characters like Cersei not only not face any consequences for COMPLETELY spitting on the theme of the series but actually BENEFIT from it ... sucks.  The further decisions to have everyone do things completely shattering their character arcs and/or have certain main characters completely relegated to side roles (looking at you, Jon!) simply to do the unexpected is so stupid.  This series was special, and even if it had ended WELL the direction they took it ... it was no longer anything different once the Night King was so anticlimactically dealt with, with no lore or anything.

This is all just my personal opinion, of course, but D&D had a choice - tell an ending to a "Game of Thrones" that featured cool fire scenes or tell an ending to "A Song of Ice and Fire" that completed this epic journey ... they chose the first one, thinking that was their strong suit, and they somehow failed miserably at that, too. Sad
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #329 on: June 08, 2019, 03:35:29 PM »

Have you seen it yet?  What do you think?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #330 on: June 08, 2019, 04:49:39 PM »

I liked this, and I think it would have gone over a lot better. Agree that Arya shouldn't be wearing Jaime's face if he's still alive, so just let "Jaime" kill Cersei and then reveal that it's Arya and the real Jaime is dead.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #331 on: June 08, 2019, 11:57:24 PM »

I liked this, and I think it would have gone over a lot better. Agree that Arya shouldn't be wearing Jaime's face if he's still alive, so just let "Jaime" kill Cersei and then reveal that it's Arya and the real Jaime is dead.

Arya’s whole arc is about turning back from the black hole of revenge instead of being consumed by it.  This would’ve been one of the worst possible endings for her storyline, even D&D managed an infinitely better one.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #332 on: June 09, 2019, 02:28:45 AM »

Having Dany bend the knee to Cersei would have been more of a repudiation of her character than anything D&D did this past season, so I didn't like it.  Also, having episode 3, "The Long Night" be where the Night King dies was the right time because it was actually episode 70 of 73 (tho it should have been episode 71 of 75.)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies