Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:38:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14255 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 16, 2019, 12:46:52 AM »

I was disappointed that the first episode only had 50 minutes.

I seem to remember that they said each of the final episodes would be 90 minutes long ...
I think they said the "average" was going to be 90 (or whatever) minutes per episode, not that they would all be 90 minutes long.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 06:32:22 AM »

one of the three spin offs is dead
While HBO is well into production on one of the Game of Thrones prequel scripts it commissioned last year, one of the potential spin-off series is dead. Game of Thrones writer and co-executive producer Bryan Cogman, who has written 11 episodes of the series (including Sunday’s “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms”), confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter that his spin-off is no longer in the works.

“I was developing one of the successor shows with George [R.R. Martin]. George has worked with a bunch of the writers, including Jane [Goldman], whose show is being done [as a pilot]. My prequel show is not happening and will not happen. HBO decided to go a different way,” he told the publication
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »

the best part-Arya killing 30 wights in 20 seconds

the worst part-how confusing the "dragon battles" were
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 09:59:45 AM »

it may be wise to throw 2000 "super" cavalry at 100,000 lightly armed militia in the hopes of getting them to break and run, but this was 100,00 lightly armed militia that was undead.  Magic things don't break and run.

I'm not going to speculate on what they (the good guys) should have done or what I would have done, but they made some, what looked to me at least, huge tactical mistakes in the battle.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 06:59:33 PM »

While interesting and all for arya to take on the night king it felt like a kick in the balls to turn azor ahai into a red herring the battle was amazing and I loved it I just wish we got to see Jon and the Night King go mono e mono they have been building it up since hard home
But THAT is what would be too tropey, too generic-fantasy.
indeed.  It's kind of funny, all these GoT "fans" pissed off that they didn't get the ending they expected...isn't that why we fell in love in the first place, they didn't give us what we expected?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 07:48:22 PM »

isn't that why we fell in love in the first place, they didn't give us what we expected?

No, you f***ing idiot.
wow, that escalated quickly.  Perhaps you're too emotionally invested in this?  It's just a show.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 09:01:27 PM »

did anybody else make 3 Stooges noises when two wights tried to go through a door at the same time to get Arya?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 07:28:43 AM »

Just got emailed some pretty detailed death threats for saying I loved the episode.
from someone here or...?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »

I thought it was a pretty good episode most of the way through, but obviously Cersei would have just slaughtered them all at the end, right?
indeed
I mean, Daenerys has always been a psychopath. Honestly this ending makes sense and I like it.
this too

The physics of the super ballista don't make any sense.  Say they could make something powerful enough to shoot a small tree through a dragon's skull at 100 meters that is standing still, I'll buy that.  But to hit a flying dragon a mile away, from a wooden ship?  The energy required, the whole "aiming" issue, which really isn't an issue at all because there is no way they would fly straight after a couple hundred feet (if it could even go that far), just silly...plus, I'm pretty sure she could fly a large arc around them faster than they can turn the ships, so flank 'em?  What was the point of the angry charge, dodge and then fly away? Hit them why they reload?  Go super high and just rain dragon fire on them from 2 miles up?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 07:47:20 PM »

the internet hates the end of everything
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 05:01:26 PM »

So many thoughts....here's some

Clegane Bowl was underwhelming.  I had more issues with rando "good" guys turning evil than I did Dany doing the same.  I hope every one of named "good" guys (Arya, Jon, Onion Knight, Tyrian) first line to her when they meet up again is "WTF was that?  Are you crazy bitch?"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 10:58:49 AM »

one things is clear, some people are WAY too emotionally involved in a television show/book series.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »

one things is clear, some people are WAY too emotionally involved in a television show/book series.

Guilty.  As.  Charged!

That was my bad getting too into this series, and no, I am not being sarcastic.  Makes this shltshow worse. :/
I love the show, still do, but I've made fun of it since episode 1.  Swords don't make loud metal on metal scraping noises when pulled out, even if almost every other piece of entertainment makes the same mistake, it doesn't make it ok.  That's just one, nearly constant, example of something stupid the show has always done.  There are many others.  And The Office did sh**t just as stupid and unrealistic.  And the Sopranos and Breaking Bad and every other piece of entertainment ever has characters doing amazingly stupid things, or things that seem very out of character.  Not always, some pieces of art are better at it than others, but eventually every character is going to do something that just doesn't make any sense for them to do.

tl:dr version-pull back.  Enjoy it for the boobs, blood and soap opera Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 06:12:23 AM »

Did you all think we were dealing with high art here?  'cause we never were.  This is and always has been goofy elf and fairy, knights and damsels bull spit.  It literally features dragons, were you expecting the greatest story ever told?  FREAKING DRAGONS!  Now there is a petition to remake season 8?  Holy hell people, you're not owed a perfect show (as if that was even possible with you finicky phuques).

DRAGONS!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 07:39:51 AM »

Did you all think we were dealing with high art here?  'cause we never were.  This is and always has been goofy elf and fairy, knights and damsels bull spit.  It literally features dragons, were you expecting the greatest story ever told?  FREAKING DRAGONS!  Now there is a petition to remake season 8?  Holy hell people, you're not owed a perfect show (as if that was even possible with you finicky phuques).

DRAGONS!

My understanding is that The Ring Cycle is usually considered to be High Art and that it absolutely features a dragon.
a dragon is a small part of one quarter of that (if my Googling is accurate), but you're right, dragons can be part of high art I suppose, but not normally.  I'd guess 99.6% of art with dragons is not high art and most of it is garbage.  Puff the Magic Dragon is a fine song, but it's hardly Bach.
Though you're correct that the books and the show were always... I don't know... high production values middlebrow? Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with that, but pretending that this was not the case, sure, did no one any favours.
I'm not even sure it rose to middlebrow, and you're right, there is nothing wrong with that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies