Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:18:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Game of Thrones Season 8 Discussion Thread  (Read 14259 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 30, 2019, 12:13:00 AM »

The grumbling here seems to assume that with three episodes to go we're only going to have an anticlimactic final battle with Cersei. She and her mad maester Qyburn will obviously have been doing more than just waiting for the war in the north to come to a conclusion.  I can easily see Qyburn's researches coming up with something as bad as white walkers, or perhaps his own version of them.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:16:08 PM »

The body count was bloody high for the grunts. Dany & Jon are now generals with mostly officers and few troops. So how does one win the game of thrones when you can't simply bludgeon your enemies? This show (and the books) were never about the standard fantasy trope of raising an army to win a valiant fight, so having the major anticipated fight not be the climax of the story is entirely in keeping with what makes it so much fun.

POTENTIAL SPOILER:
I think the Iron Bank of Bravos is about to make its power play and have the Golden Company eliminate the bothersome pirates of the Iron Fleet and then offer its aid to Dany.  I know that the Golden Company honors its contracts, but it is the Iron Bank that provided their coin, not Cersei.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 11:14:55 PM »

What I don't like is that they continue to portray the good guys as stupid.  They should never have been surprised by Euron's fleet like that.  It's clear we're going to see Jamie killing Cersei now as he tries to atone for his past.  That'll probably happen next episode with the final episode seeing whether Jon, Dany, or someone else rules the Iron Throne.  It would be ironic if the end result were Gendry sitting there with Arya as Master of Whispers.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »

The speeches from Bronn and Varys were some of the better political writing on the show. The complaints are just from people who thought Daenerys was their #QWEEN.

The one Bronn scene had me in stitches. Absolutely hilarious and, presumably, correct.
After that scene one could hope the closing words of the final episode will be:
"All hail His Grace, Bronn of House Blackwater, First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm".
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 03:27:02 PM »

I do think it's a sign of how bad the writing has gotten that I was relieved that Missandei wasn't killed by Cersei responding to Tyrion's speech about how she should resign for the sake of her child by saying "The things I do for love," and then pushing Missandei over the wall.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 01:31:54 AM »

Leaving aside the whole problem of inadequately developed motivation, by destroying Cersei in a manner that makes it impossible to produce a body, Dany has left her reign open to pretenders claiming to be Cersei (or Cersei's child) whenever revolt brews.

We also saw troops stupidly massing outside walls again this episode.

Whatever faults D&D may have as writers, they pale in comparison with their faults as generals.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 07:02:50 AM »

Honestly the way fans have reacted with such vitriol (especially when I have received death threats over liking this season) has really given me a terrible impression of the fanbase.
Drakarys!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 09:58:52 PM »

The bad:

Everything else (and I want to stress the word "everything"), especially the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells of King's Landing randomly causing Dany to reign hellfire down upon KL.  Why did I turn the preceding sentence into a Hunchback of Notre Dame reference?  I dunno, but it made more sense than that horribly executed twist.

Actually, I found that quite sensible.  She offered them the chance to surrender, which the bells were supposed to signal, but they waited until after the hard work and risk involved in breaching the defenses of the city had happened. Too late!  Especially as she's been burned before by people surrendering so they can try sticking a knife in her back once they failed to stick in her front. One can argue that she should have not rushed the assault in the first place, but that's a separate issue.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 10:11:29 PM »

One of the cool things about the FX was the occasional going off of leftover caches of wildfire placed by Dany's dad.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »

If the leaks are true (and they have been at least 95% true so far) then we are getting one of the most non-sensical endings I have ever seen to a show.

So we'll have Ned Stark stepping out of a shower?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »

the dornishmen and ironborn are historically subservient people. plus, an assembly of random major characters elected the catatonic stark child, and who are they to question that decision?
I thought he was asleep for the first half of the meeting! The kid is less lively than a funeral home

Not saying anything is the easiest way to seem wise if D&D are doing the writing.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 06:36:16 PM »

What was the point of Jon being a Targaryen?

Without the incest angle that he couldn't handle because he'd been raised a Stark and not a Targaryen, he'd have probably gone along with Dany from the moment she told him to keep it quiet.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 02:28:45 AM »

Having Dany bend the knee to Cersei would have been more of a repudiation of her character than anything D&D did this past season, so I didn't like it.  Also, having episode 3, "The Long Night" be where the Night King dies was the right time because it was actually episode 70 of 73 (tho it should have been episode 71 of 75.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies