When will Phoenix elect its first black mayor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:10:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  When will Phoenix elect its first black mayor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When will Phoenix elect its first black mayor?  (Read 720 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2019, 09:28:28 PM »

Recently, Chicago elected its first openly gay and first black female mayor. Phoenix is currently the largest city in the United States that has never had a black mayor. When do you think Phoenix will elect one if it does happen in the future?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 09:35:57 PM »

Well the problem with doing so is that there isnt really a large African American population in the city(only 6.5% compared to Chicago's 32.8%, so the chances are diminished. It can happen, but the pool of possible candidates is certainly smaller than Chicago's.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 09:41:02 PM »

Who cares? As long as it is a decent democrat in charge, I don't give a crap what color they are.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 09:41:24 PM »

Well the problem with doing so is that there isnt really a large African American population in the city(only 6.5% compared to Chicago's 32.8%, so the chances are diminished. It can happen, but the pool of possible candidates is certainly smaller than Chicago's.

There are several examples of cities electing black mayors while having small black populations such as Des Moines and Sacramento.

What's even more puzzling is that Phoenix has never had an Hispanic mayor either. Kate Gallego inherited her last name from Ruben Gallego.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 09:47:44 PM »

There are several examples of cities electing black mayors while having small black populations such as Des Moines and Sacramento.

What's even more puzzling is that Phoenix has never had an Hispanic mayor either. Kate Gallego inherited her last name from Ruben Gallego.

Well, of course. Areas that are completely White have had African Americans represent them(Mia Love was a good example), and the opposite is true as well(Steve Cohen being a famous example).

What Im saying is that the likelihood of an African American Mayor drops because the pool of politicians who would be African American is inherently lower due to the low African American population. Its not completely unlikely, but the chance is lower than Chicago, which has a larger talent pool to draw from.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:59:22 PM »

My trademark question: why is it important??? I would understand, if a question would be - "when will Phoenix elect it's first great mayor?". I don't care if it would be whie, black, hispanic, man. woman, straight, gay, lesbian, trangender and so on....
Duke of York

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »

My answer is who cares? What a mayor looks like shouldnt matter. Whoever is best for the job should be elected mayor
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 09:41:46 PM »

My answer is who cares? What a mayor looks like shouldnt matter. Whoever is best for the job should be elected mayor

Representation matters.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 10:45:57 PM »

Phoenix is historically white and most blacks dont want to live in Phoenix. The city closes down at certain times amd retirees live there, moreso than FL, which has blacks.
Duke of York

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 10:52:22 PM »

Representation matters.

I agree but i dont want to see a black mayor just to have one. I want them to be qualified and have a actual plan
Boobs
HCP

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »

Representation matters.

I agree but i dont want to see a black mayor just to have one. I want them to be qualified and have a actual plan

why would anyone assume that the first black mayor of Phoenix will be unqualified and planless? I’m pretty sure the person who made this thread, and most people who ask these kinds of questions, usually are asking within the normal confines of elected officials...

it’s kinda telling that the crowd that always reacts to this kind of questions or policies (like first black/gay/Hispanic/woman president/governor/mayor/whatever) says “oh I don’t CARE about race, only about QUALIFICATIONS” subtly implying that the first black/gay/Hispanic/woman whatever is definitionally/predicted to be unqualified. People who say “we need to pick the best people for the job, not just to fill diversity quotas” are somehow so caught up in their own mistaken logic that they can’t possibly imagine someone who is both a minority and actually qualified despite the fact that there are plenty of qualified minorities. That subtle assumption that the most qualified person is automatically white or a man is hilariously unfounded
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 12:21:20 AM »

Representation matters.

Qualification, not representation, matters...
Duke of York

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »

Representation matters.

why would anyone assume that the first black mayor of Phoenix will be unqualified and planless? I’m pretty sure the person who made this thread, and most people who ask these kinds of questions, usually are asking within the normal confines of elected officials...

it’s kinda telling that the crowd that always reacts to this kind of questions or policies (like first black/gay/Hispanic/woman president/governor/mayor/whatever) says “oh I don’t CARE about race, only about QUALIFICATIONS” subtly implying that the first black/gay/Hispanic/woman whatever is definitionally/predicted to be unqualified. People who say “we need to pick the best people for the job, not just to fill diversity quotas” are somehow so caught up in their own mistaken logic that they can’t possibly imagine someone who is both a minority and actually qualified despite the fact that there are plenty of qualified minorities. That subtle assumption that the most qualified person is automatically white or a man is hilariously unfounded

I never said the most qualified person was inherently white.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »

Leah Landrum Taylor might have a chance when the seat is open next, but I don't know if she's interested.

There is an edge to having a person of color in office. They often train and work twice as hard as white people to get ahead in whatever their background profession is (in a way they are expected to) and are held to much higher scrutiny which builds an even higher work ethic. That isn't true of everyone, but it is very true of many.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies