Notre Dame is burning.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:34:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Notre Dame is burning.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Notre Dame is burning.  (Read 15276 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »

^^^Hero
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:50 PM »

Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2019, 09:07:01 PM »

^^^Hero

Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart thank you so much to this Father.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2019, 09:08:01 PM »

What a tragic scene. I regret that during the hubbub of Holy Week in 2013 I did not take the extra time to go inside. I will have to rely on my memories of the interior from my visit in Jan 1992, one of the most compelling spaces I've been in.

For now I will salute those memories by opening and enjoying a snifter or two of Hine rare VSOP Cognac.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2019, 03:14:46 AM »

Told you the stone vaulted ceiling would offer protection Cheesy The fire was clearly ripping through the ceiling void and the wood. The fire service doused it with the right intensity to not bring it down further but no doubt the whole stone vault will need to be secured internally if it's been warped by the heat.

It's still a five year plus restoration at least but much less damage than was feared.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2019, 03:32:32 AM »

And, outing myself further as an architectural geek, while the stained glass has been saved it may have internally shattered as happened with York Minster, so they'll need to check that out first and secure it with adhesive plastic before removal.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2019, 05:52:16 AM »

This is absolutely terrible, but it looks like it won't be as catastrophic as originally predicted. They seemed to be indicating they thought the whole structure would be lost just two hours ago. Losing the spires and the stain-glassed windows is a huge blow, though. Very sad, but thankfully the structure as a whole has survived.

I wonder if wouldn't it be better, due to impossibility of reconstructing the interior without it reeking artificiality, to turn the renovated cathedral into some sort of museum. Just a thought.
Why would it seem artificial? So many churches have burned down over the centuries and have been rebuilt perfectly and beautifully. Turning it into a museum means accepting to close the chapter on this church and, by extension, on Paris' and France's Christian identity. Which would seem completely unacceptable to me. In that case, it would not just be a metaphor for European civilization burning (fully expecting this to be deleted again) - it would literally be that.

You're right. It's important for such symbols to endure. While writting this post I've been under the impression the interior is completely lost and forgot about long history of rebuilding ruined landmarks.

If the Warsaw Cathedral of St. John was destroyed (it already was destroyed once, in 1944), I most likely wouldn't entertain any other thought than rebuilding.

Did the communist government of Poland drag their feet over rebuilding the Warsaw Cathedral of St. John?

Interestingly the St. John's Archcathedral (forgot to mention it's an archcathedral) was reconstructed rather quickly, between 1948 and 1956.

It was the Warsaw Royal Castle that was only rebuilt in the 70s.

By the way, speaking of remaining structures here's the Old Town Market after liberation:

And currently:

Sorry for an ocassional polishposting. Not trying to hijack the thread.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2019, 06:11:54 AM »

Did the communist government of Poland drag their feet over rebuilding the Warsaw Cathedral of St. John?
Communist governments have often done a better job at rebuilding cities in their old state following WW2 than Western governments. Think about the implications of that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2019, 06:19:18 AM »

Communist governments have often done a better job at rebuilding cities in their old state following WW2 than Western governments. Think about the implications of that.

Well, after the war most of Soviet-backed governments in Eastern Europe were trying very hard to pretend they're not "really that communist" (hell, Bierut's membership in the PPR was kept "secret" for some time). There still was the illusion of honest elections to follow and maintaining full sovereignty, which was especially evident in Poland. Dragging one's feet over rebuilding Warsaw would be too risky, even though many commies really preferred to just start over in Łódź, as much easier to control among other things. The idea of rebuilding the capital was just too important to the millions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2019, 07:15:37 AM »

And, outing myself further as an architectural geek, while the stained glass has been saved it may have internally shattered as happened with York Minster, so they'll need to check that out first and secure it with adhesive plastic before removal.

Yes, it shouldn't be assumed that the glass that has survived will be in a good way, or that any restoration required on the glass will be quick (it certainly wasn't at York Minister). But I'm - is it possible to have bittersweet delight? - that any survived at all, let alone a decent proportion (it seems). The extent to which the building protected itself (as you say, vaulting in a cathedral isn't just there because it is extremely pretty) is remarkable.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2019, 07:24:40 AM »

I'm glad I got to see it when I did.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2019, 10:24:20 AM »

Told you the stone vaulted ceiling would offer protection Cheesy The fire was clearly ripping through the ceiling void and the wood. The fire service doused it with the right intensity to not bring it down further but no doubt the whole stone vault will need to be secured internally if it's been warped by the heat.

It's still a five year plus restoration at least but much less damage than was feared.

Those 13th century stonemasons who designed and built that vault deserve a sainthood, and I'm only barely joking. Their work has saved so much for their church, country, and God.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2019, 02:09:59 PM »

Thanks to all the architecture nerds here providing some much-needed perspective *hughughug*
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2019, 02:14:57 PM »

So actually all three of the main rose windows appear to have survived.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2019, 05:31:58 PM »

Remarkable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfNHaBeirYc

If the spire fell on the walls, it may have been a different story.

The way the fire looked on the news, that is a great result.

$1 Billion dollars in donations should get some nice new bench seats.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2019, 06:18:39 PM »

So actually all three of the main rose windows appear to have survived.
Yay 💥 🎈 🧁
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2019, 08:09:36 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2019, 06:42:26 AM by Keyboard Jacobinism »

What was lost and what survived
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/europe/what-was-lost-what-survived-devastating-notre-dame-fire-n995026

Saved
The Crown of Thorns was recovered when Paris fire chaplain Jean-Marc Fournier accompanied firefighters into the burning cathedral to recover the ancient relic, said Philippe Goujon, mayor of Paris' 15th District.

The artifact, which was brought to Paris by King Louis IX in the 13th century, is purported to have been pressed on to Jesus' head during the crucifixion.

A priest wipes the Crown of Thorns, a relic housed at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris, in April 2017.Philippe Lopez / AFP/Getty Images file
Le Grand Orgue, or "the great organ," and its 8,000 pipes also survived, authorities said. The instrument, which dates to the 1730s, was constructed by Francois Thierry.

The organ is "a very fragile instrument, especially its pipes," according to Bertrand de Feydeau, vice president of the preservation group Fondation du Patrimoine.

"It has not burnt, but no one can tell whether it has been damaged by water. Nobody knows if it is (in) a functioning state or will need to be restored," de Feydeau said.

Philippe Lefebvre plays the organ at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris in May 2013.Christophe Ena / AP file
A famed piece of stained glass known as the South Rose window also survived, as did the Tunic of Saint Louis, a long, shirt-like garment from the 13th century, officials said.

"The crown of thorns, the tunic of St. Louis and many other major artifacts are now in a safe place," Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo tweeted, thanking first responders for their work in saving the treasures.

Sixteen copper statues of saints that could have been in harm's way Monday had been removed just days earlier as part of the restoration efforts.

[...]

Sorry, but had to modify this due to the "copyright violation" rule - K.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2019, 12:53:21 AM »

Couldn't some other countries donate the wood necessary to rebuild the roof if France does not have the requisite number of trees?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2019, 05:58:07 AM »

Great post Blue.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2019, 08:40:42 AM »

Couldn't some other countries donate the wood necessary to rebuild the roof if France does not have the requisite number of trees?
Given modern forestry practices, the only oaks likely to be of the requisite size to rebuild the roof exactly as it was will be in protected areas. There also isn't any other tree suited to the task than an oak. Those that produce wood of sufficient strength don't produce beams the size of those that were in Notre Dame.

It would be possible to plant oaks and let them grow to the requisite size and age, but I think we don't want to wait until the 23rd or 24th century to rebuild the roof.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2019, 07:37:10 PM »

Given modern forestry practices, the only oaks likely to be of the requisite size to rebuild the roof exactly as it was will be in protected areas. There also isn't any other tree suited to the task than an oak. Those that produce wood of sufficient strength don't produce beams the size of those that were in Notre Dame.

It would be possible to plant oaks and let them grow to the requisite size and age, but I think we don't want to wait until the 23rd or 24th century to rebuild the roof.

Maybe I'm weird, but hearing about this problem over the last couple days just has me daydreaming just how different Europe was back then. Even our movies and TV shows, which have tried to be historically accurate, have probably overlooked things like this. Just imagine a Europe that was covered in these giant trees less than a millennium ago.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2019, 09:03:20 PM »

Maybe I'm weird, but hearing about this problem over the last couple days just has me daydreaming just how different Europe was back then. Even our movies and TV shows, which have tried to be historically accurate, have probably overlooked things like this. Just imagine a Europe that was covered in these giant trees less than a millennium ago.

Yup. A major reason why Britain turned to coal in the 17th century was that the island was suffering a shortage of charcoal due to overuse of the forests. For most purposes, charcoal is superior to the coal found in Britain.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2019, 10:23:55 PM »

In other (kinda) unrelated news, a man with two gas canisters was arrested in NYC trying to enter Saint Patrick’s Cathedral.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2019, 07:54:47 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2019, 07:58:08 AM by Filuwaúrdjan »

Just imagine a Europe that was covered in these giant trees less than a millennium ago.

It wasn't though. The approximate balance between farmland and woodland has been roughly the same in most of Western Europe since the Bronze Age (with a degree of fluctuation over time) and woods have been managed environments throughout the period. 'Wildwood' disappeared a long, long time ago: we don't even really know what it would have looked like. What is true is that the spread of modern Prussian forestry methods (as opposed to the traditional irregular systems of timber trees here, and coppices for wood there etc.) from the late 18th century has resulted in more uniformity within woodlands and in considerably less very old trees than would otherwise be the case* - but very old European broadleaf trees of any species are generally not suitable for use as timber trees!

*I think a majority of trees over a certain age in all of Western Europe are in just one country; i.e. Britain.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2019, 08:00:41 AM »

Yup. A major reason why Britain turned to coal in the 17th century was that the island was suffering a shortage of charcoal due to overuse of the forests. For most purposes, charcoal is superior to the coal found in Britain.

No, completely untrue. Old (and self-evidently ridiculous if you know anything about charcoal production) myth.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies