Notre Dame is burning.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:17:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Notre Dame is burning.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Notre Dame is burning.  (Read 15268 times)
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2019, 03:10:20 PM »

French Interior Ministry: saving Notre Dame is not certain.
The firefighters fear that the fire could reach and destroy the North Tower.

It looks increasingly likely that the fire has spread to the towers and if that's true then there is likely little hope of saving them.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2019, 03:14:07 PM »

Twitter's already full of idiots trying to spin it in a known way.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »

Twitter's already full of idiots trying to spin it in a known way.

You could end that sentence after "idiots" and it would apply in almost any situation.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2019, 03:36:39 PM »

No one throws shade like the French.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2019, 03:36:44 PM »

It looks like the fire is going down, at least modestly. I'm no engineer, but it looks like the stone frame, and hopefully some of the windows will stay intact. The bronze statues on the roof definitely were saved. The biggest question marks are the religious relics inside.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2019, 03:47:11 PM »

video:

Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2019, 03:53:21 PM »

The towers are saved.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2019, 03:59:52 PM »

just heard that, i'm happy about that, apparently the structure in general will survive as well
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2019, 04:05:25 PM »

It looks like the fire is going down, at least modestly. I'm no engineer, but it looks like the stone frame, and hopefully some of the windows will stay intact. The bronze statues on the roof definitely were saved. The biggest question marks are the religious relics inside.

According to Australian TV news.

Crown of Thorns is gone.

Wood from the Crucifixion Cross is gone.

I find it hard to believe they would keep this stuff in the attic of a wooden building, but who knows.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2019, 04:05:41 PM »

just heard that, i'm happy about that, apparently the structure in general will survive as well

That is very good news. May I ask who is reporting this?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2019, 04:09:06 PM »

Now they're just saying they're optimistic that they'll save the towers, they aren't mentioning the rest of the structure anymore.

I'm watching the live feed on CBS (I'm on CBS just because it's the first live video that appeared on my facebook feed, otherwise normally I'd watch this type of thing on the BBC)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2019, 04:16:07 PM »

Apparently according to Paris Police, so that's something at least.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2019, 04:23:19 PM »

Crown of Thorns is gone.

I find it hard to believe they would keep this stuff in the attic of a wooden building, but who knows.

It was reported earlier that they were saved, but there could be conflicting reports.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2019, 04:33:41 PM »

Guys, please refrain from trying to spin it one way or the other to fit one's ideological message. This thread's been very respectful so far and I'd like to keep it this way.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2019, 04:33:54 PM »

Crown of Thorns is gone.

It was reported earlier that they were saved, but there could be conflicting reports.

I know they reported earlier that recovering the artifacts was the top priority above containing the fire, and I have to imagine those had top priority unless they were kept in a particularly dangerous area.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »

French officials announced that the structure has survived
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »

Crown of Thorns is gone.

I know they reported earlier that recovering the artifacts was the top priority above containing the fire, and I have to imagine those had top priority unless they were kept in a particularly dangerous area.

Translation: “Good News: All the works of art have survived. Thee treasure of the cathedral, the crown of thorns, the holy sacraments”.

(At least I’m assuming that’s what ‘saints sacraments’ means, someone please correct me if I’m wrong.)
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2019, 04:48:32 PM »

Macron: "This cathedral, we will rebuild it, because it's our destiny, because that's what the French expect"
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »

Crown of Thorns is gone.

Translation: “Good News: All the works of art have survived. Thee treasure of the cathedral, the crown of thorns, the holy sacraments”.

(At least I’m assuming that’s what ‘saints sacraments’ means, someone please correct me if I’m wrong.)

Clearly, not all of the artworks are saved. But looks like the major ones are now safe.

Hope they laser-scanned the spire.

But this cathedral has been looted and robbed before. This next one will be about the 4th major restoration attempt.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-16/notre-dame-cathedral-paris-engulfed-by-fire-roof-collapses/11018158

"It was ransacked by rioting Protestant Huguenots in the 16th century, pillaged again during the French Revolution of the 1790s and left in a state of semi-neglect."
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »

Guys, please refrain from trying to spin it one way or the other to fit one's ideological message. This thread's been very respectful so far and I'd like to keep it this way.
I really take issue with you deleting my post. I don't see how my post violates the TOS. Perhaps you can explain to me why? Otherwise I will e-mail Dave about it. If only atheists are welcome on this forum perhaps he can tell me why.

Religion is not the issue here. I'll repost the part in question:

Doesn't "feel" all that different from the umpteenth attack there either. Perhaps also a morbid sign from God about what's happening to Western civilization these days - particularly in France, more particularly in Paris.

The dog-whistling here is obvious. The same would go for somebody using the fire to attack the right or people of faith.

You're free to email Dave, because I'm standing by my action.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2019, 05:00:38 PM »

The spire's a big loss and I can imagine a lot of the interior has had it. The rebuild will be very expensive, that's for sure.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2019, 05:01:30 PM »

The dog-whistling here is obvious. The same would go for somebody using the fire to attack the right or people of faith.
I was criticizing no one but ourselves. It does not violate the TOS and I will e-mail Dave about it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2019, 05:01:59 PM »

With all the irreperable loss let's just be grateful the structure is saved. It would be absolutely heathwrenching to see Paris without Notre Dame.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2019, 05:08:36 PM »

Thank God the fire is under controled. Paris without Notre-Dame is unthinkable.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2019, 05:13:25 PM »

This is absolutely terrible, but it looks like it won’t be as catastrophic as originally predicted. They seemed to be indicating they thought the whole structure would be lost just two hours ago. Losing the spires and the stain-glassed windows is a huge blow, though. Very sad, but thankfully the structure as a whole has survived.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies