Notre Dame is burning.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:35:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Notre Dame is burning.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Notre Dame is burning.  (Read 15258 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2019, 08:49:55 PM »

Yup. A major reason why Britain turned to coal in the 17th century was that the island was suffering a shortage of charcoal due to overuse of the forests. For most purposes, charcoal is superior to the coal found in Britain.

No, completely untrue. Old (and self-evidently ridiculous if you know anything about charcoal production) myth.

So the charcoal of Britain was poor quality also, or was the bottleneck in iron and steel production the poor quality of British iron ore? It wasn't until the invention of the blast furnace that British iron was considered even comparable to that of other places in quality.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2019, 04:17:35 AM »

So what do you all think of Macron's architectural competition to design a new roof and spire for Notre Dame?

I think it's a Massive HP move.

Tbh different materials will most likely have to be used and I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a new design being used (although rebuilding them to the closest design possible to the old ones would be my preference), but the roof and spire need to be rebuilt in Gothic style at the very least. On the other hand, I think Macron wants a "modern" design built in glass or something like that. If that's the case, I'd rather just not have the roof or spire rebuilt.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2019, 05:36:01 AM »

So what do you all think of Macron's architectural competition to design a new roof and spire for Notre Dame?

Tbh different materials will most likely have to be used and I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a new design being used (although rebuilding them to the closest design possible to the old ones would be my preference), but the roof and spire need to be rebuilt in Gothic style at the very least. On the other hand, I think Macron wants a "modern" design built in glass or something like that. If that's the case, I'd rather just not have the roof or spire rebuilt.

Agreed. It's been pretty clear everybody wants the Notre Dame to be rebuilt as closely to what it was before, because it's freaking Notre Dame, because of continuity and preservance, because of its iconic look, etc. Sure, it can't be done in exactly the same way as you've pointed out, but if this is the intention, you might just as well erect a whole new structure and call it "Notre Dame".
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2019, 01:19:00 PM »

Yeah. Obviously it can’t be the exact same materials, but the closer the better for this.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2019, 06:21:45 PM »

Cause of fire officially confirmed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c8DEK3I3pU
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: May 03, 2019, 02:31:18 PM »

https://www.nouvelobs.com/societe/20190503.OBS12448/les-francais-seront-consultes-sur-la-reconstruction-de-notre-dame-de-paris.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1rvzUc9-0xyukeFnuwIlLC25BON3nrJIozK1UcjNozyeO101Xs2xv_XLY#Echobox=1556899022

"The French (people) will be consulted on the reconstruction of Notre Dame"
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2019, 12:20:14 AM »

I’ve always found Gothic architecture to be grotesque and sinister, but I can only imagine the cosmopolitan monument to secularism that will replace it. Surely it’ll be an architectural abortion.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2019, 12:22:51 AM »

Wrong. This happened.

https://youtu.be/0NYO9O5Md5o
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2019, 05:31:22 AM »

"Consultation" is a wonderfully vague term.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2019, 05:41:57 AM »

Yeah, Macron is going to do whatever he likes, regardless of what the people think.

Seriously that guy is so egotistical it isn't funny. I'm absolutely sick and tired of him, I'd vote for the left just to get him out at this point.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2019, 05:43:07 AM »

I’ve always found Gothic architecture to be grotesque and sinister, but I can only imagine the cosmopolitan monument to secularism that will replace it. Surely it’ll be an architectural abortion.

I love Gothic architecture, but yeah I agree with the rest of what you said.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2019, 02:50:28 PM »

I reject the notion that cosmopolitcan secularism would want to ruin Notre Dame by building some IM Pei-style monstrosity. I really don't know if that trend really has a demographic supporting it beyond architects who want to make a name for themselves.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »

I reject the notion that cosmopolitcan secularism would want to ruin Notre Dame by building some IM Pei-style monstrosity. I really don't know if that trend really has a demographic supporting it beyond architects who want to make a name for themselves.

The government wants it. Macron for one has no respect for France's heritage, and then "Jupiter" wants to leave his mark on history by making a big modification to Notre Dame.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: May 05, 2019, 04:14:34 PM »

For a while Merkel was my least favorite European leader, but now it's pretty easily "Jupiter" Macron.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #139 on: May 05, 2019, 05:01:49 PM »

The government wants it. Macron for one has no respect for France's heritage, and then "Jupiter" wants to leave his mark on history by making a big modification to Notre Dame.

Do you have any evidence for that? You know I'm no fan of FBM, but I don't think it's fair to just assume he has some ridiculous plans for Notre Dame just because he's a he's a megalomaniacal creep (which he is).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: May 05, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »

Do you have any evidence for that? You know I'm no fan of FBM, but I don't think it's fair to just assume he has some ridiculous plans for Notre Dame just because he's a he's a megalomaniacal creep (which he is).

Well he is holding a comeption to choose the new design and did say he'd consider modern designs, if he's holding a competition and said that, we know what he wants.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2019, 02:13:21 AM »

This is ridiculous.

If the Statue of Liberty (which actually already IS a secular monument) was partially destroyed, no politician in the mainstream would be calling for a "competition to choose a new design". Anyone who did would be laughed out of the room.

Wtf is Macron doing?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2019, 09:48:04 PM »

This is ridiculous.

If the Statue of Liberty (which actually already IS a secular monument) was partially destroyed, no politician in the mainstream would be calling for a "competition to choose a new design". Anyone who did would be laughed out of the room.

Wtf is Macron doing?
Well, the US did with the WTC.

Counterpoint being that the WTC was legitimately ugly, while Notre Dame is renowned for its beauty.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »

https://www.rtbf.be/info/monde/detail_l-architecte-belgo-parisien-vincent-callebaut-propose-son-projet-pour-notre-dame?id=10216877&fbclid=IwAR15bCg0vvWW__Ih4Kvt0IiiHWkDsGLZJqHrPENg1h2nwRL8eGOFJDhQvQk

A serious proposal for the restauration of Notre Dame...it's disgusting!
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »

I actually don't mind this, but that's primarily because I really, really love the interior of the Sagrada Familia.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2019, 01:12:10 PM »

If they actually build that glass monstrosity then frankly they should just raze the whole thing.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2019, 01:20:43 PM »

It is very pretty, but it's not Notre Dame. Let this architect build his own cathedral somewhere else.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2019, 01:34:54 PM »

Exactly, I'd rather see it be left as a ruin at this point.

Most French people want it restored the way it was, or at least have it fit the original style, but Macron and LREM don't care, they're adamant on having a modern monstrosity built.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2019, 01:35:32 PM »

It is very pretty, but it's not Notre Dame. Let this architect build his own cathedral somewhere else.

EXACTLY! You don't mix styles like that
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »

Exactly, I'd rather see it be left as a ruin at this point.

Most French people want it restored the way it was, or at least have it fit the original style, but Macron and LREM don't care, they're adamant on having a modern monstrosity built.

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/culture/arts-expos/architecture/notre-dame-de-paris-les-francais-majoritairement-opposes-a-une-loi-d-exception-pour-accelerer-la-reconstruction-selon-un-sondage_3435847.html?fbclid=IwAR2SujHYEfTl6s9KqQgT0ABD9YUx53VSLHmOm_rN3cEOgResAUWZMwTZnP4

The proof the French are opposed to "reconstruction" in a modern design, and with these abortions called "designs" being submitted, that number will continue to rise. Anyone with decent taste will be opposed soon.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies