What would need to happen for California to trend to the right?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:05:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What would need to happen for California to trend to the right?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What would need to happen for California to trend to the right?  (Read 2270 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2019, 02:01:26 PM »

The GOP creates a TIME MACHINE to turn the clock back to 2000, and decides to pursue policies that won't alienate suburbanites
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2019, 08:55:57 PM »

Eventually they'll cap out and then it may trend back R a little at one point.
sterk001
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.01, S: 2.31

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2019, 08:20:11 PM »

Well I think it depends on if the GOP can appeal to the hispanic population, which comprises a huge part of the electorate. Several of my hispanic peers (18-25) are pretty socially conservative, and have been trending Republican for several years now, although they like to identify as Democrats due to the CA GOP having a negative association. I can tell you the GOP can definitely make inroads with Cubans and Puerto Ricans in California (although they represent less than the ethnic Mexican-American electorate does), as I know a few of both that have trended R for some time now. I'm not sure about the ethnic Mexican-American population though. I have to apologize for my small sample set, but I've noticed that Puerto Ricans and Cubans here lean conservative, especially on social issues. It's a little odd that Puerto Ricans here do so, because in other urbanized states they're more liberal, but I actually know a couple that are ultra conservative on issues like immigration and social issues.

But to answer your question, I think it requires a combination of appealing to the hispanic electorate, boosting your standing among Asians (which is doable for the GOP sometime post Trump), keeping your margins among white rural and suburban voters who vote GOP (which is the hard part to mix this with the two above), and some kind of socially moderate/fiscally moderate candidate for statewide races.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies