The Fritz Building for Forum Affairs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:33:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Fritz Building for Forum Affairs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15
Author Topic: The Fritz Building for Forum Affairs  (Read 71248 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 27, 2006, 10:21:13 PM »

I had thought I would have a bit more time to prepare these, but Texasgurl's abrupt resignation caused me to rush these a bit.  These are effectively the same rules I'd already announced for the special election and the upcoming Senate election, only gussied up a bit and made more general.

I'd especially like comments on how I've finessed the requrements for Presidential elections so as to reduce the departed running mate problem.  I'm taking advantage of the lack of any language in Article VIII Section 2 Clause 3 of the Second Constitution about the candidacy declaration deadline for election to the Vice Presidency to finesee the problem in a way that I think meets the letter of the law, but probably not its spirit, by moving the declaration deadlines for Vice Presidential candidates and Presidential tickets closer to the election than 7 days.

Candidate Regulations

DRAFT

Section 1. Controlling legislation.
   (a) It is the belief of the Secretary of Forum Affairs that the Constitutional and legislative provisions listed in this subsection are all of the controlling legislation for the candidacy process.
      (1) Article I Section 4 Clause 6 Sentence 1 states:
      "The Senate shall have necessary power to determine regulations for the procedure of and the form of Senate elections and shall have necessary power to determine a procedure for declaration of candidacy for such elections."
      (2) Article II Section 2 Clause 2 Sentence 1 states:
      "The Senate shall have necessary power to determine regulations for the procedure of and the form of Presidential elections and shall have necessary power to determine a procedure for declaration of candidacy for such elections."
      (3) Article VIII Section 2 Clause 2 of the Second Constitution states:
      "The Department of Forum Affairs shall be responsible for administering all elections to the Presidency and the Senate."
      (4) Article VIII Section 2 Clause 3 of the Second Constitution states:
      "The candidacy declaration deadline for election to the Presidency or the Senate shall be seven days, except for special elections to the Senate, in which case the candidacy declaration deadline shall be two days."
      (5) Article VIII Section 5 Clause 5 of the Second Constitution states:
      "The Senate shall have appropriate power via legislation to repeal or amend anything in this Section."
      (6) Section 1 Clause 5 of the Unified Electoral Code Act (F.L. 8-9) states:
      "In order for write-in votes for a candidate to qualify as countable votes, the person written-in must formally accept the write-in candidacy before the end of voting in the given election."
      (7) Section 5 Clause 2 of the Unified Electoral Code Act (F.L. 8-9) states:
      "None of the candidates defeated by the None of the Above option in the original may be declared candidates in the new election. However, a voter may still write-in any such candidate."
      (8) Section 5 Clause 3 of the Unified Electoral Code Act (F.L. 8-9) states:
      "The candidacy declaration deadline for the new election shall be the same as for special elections."
   (b) It is the intent of the Secretary of Forum Affairs that these regulations be reasonable rules for the candidacy process that are within the scope of the Constitutional and legislative provisions listed in subsection (a).

DRAFT

Section 2. Declaration Thread.
   (a) The Department of Forum Affairs shall open a thread in the Atlas Fantasy Government board for handling all declarations by candidates and parties concerning the election. The thread shall remain open until the end of the election including any runoff election resulting from the election.
   (b) In the case of a regular election the thread shall be opened 21 days before the start of the election.
   (c) In the case of a special election the thread shall be opened as soon as the need for a special election is recognized by the Department of Forum Affairs.

DRAFT

Section 3. Candidate Declarations.
   (a) Senate candidates who declare their intent to run for office before the deadline given in Article VIII Section 2 Clause 3 of the Second Constitution shall be listed on the ballot.
   (b) Vice Presidential candidates who declare their intent to run for office before 72 hours prior to the election may appear on one or more Presidential tickets listed on the ballot if selected by a Presidential candidate as a running mate.
   (c) Presidential candidates who declare their intent to run for office before seven days prior to the start of the election may appear on one or more Presidential tickets if a Vice Presidential candidate selected by the Presidential candidate agrees to appear on such a ticket with the Presidential Candidate.
   (d) Presidential tickets must be declared at least 48 hours prior to the start of the election to appear on the ballot. Such declarations may be retracted no later than 48 hours prior to the start of the election.
   (e) Candidates who retract their candidacy before the deadline for declaring their candidacy shall not appear on the ballot.
   (f) Declarations of candidates who are ineligible for the office shall be null and void. Eligibility shall be determined as of the declaration deadline.

DRAFT

Section 4. Party Declarations.
   (a) Major parties shall have until 24 hours before the start of the election to indicate their preferences and have them listed on the ballot. These preferences may be altered no later than 24 hours before the start of the election.
   (b) In the event that a major party does not indicate its preference in a Senate race, then if there is only one member of that party in that Senate race, it shall be assumed to be the sole and first preference of the party in that race.
   (c) In the event that a major party does not indicate its preference in a Presidential election, then -
      (1) if there is a single ticket that consists of a Presidential candidate and a Vice Presidential candidate who are both members of that party, that ticket shall be assumed to be the sole and first preference of that party;
      (2) if there is no ticket as described as in paragraph (1), but there is a single ticket with a Presidential candidate who is a member of that party, that ticket shall be assumed to be the sole and first preference of that party; and
      (3) if there is no ticket with a Presidential candidate who is a member of that party, but there is a single ticket with a Vice Presidential candidate who is a member of that party, that ticket shall be assumed to be the sole and first preference of that party.
   (d) Parties may indicate a preference for a single declared candidate, an ordered list of such preferences, no preference, or support for the none of the above (NOTA) option in each race. A stated preference for an undeclared candidate or ticket shall be ignored, save that if part of a list of preferences, any remaining candidates or tickets that are declared shall be listed in the same order. If no preference for the party is determined under subsections (a), (b), or (c), then it will be assumed that the party had no prefernce.
   (e) For purposes of this section, major party status and the party membership of candidates shall be that as in effect 24 hours before the start of the election.

DRAFT

Section 5. Write-In Declarations.
   Candidates who declare their intent to run after the deadline specified in section 3 and before the end of the election, or their intent to accept office but not to run before the end of the election shall not be listed on the ballot, but such declaration shall be considered a formal acceptance of a write-in candidacy in accordance with Section 1 Clause 5 of the Unified Electoral Code Act (F.L. 8-9).

DRAFT

Section 6. Runoff elections.
   (a) Candidates advancing to a runoff election do not need to redeclare such candidacy, but may withdraw their candidacy as if they were a declared victor under section 9 of the Unified Electoral Code Act.
   (b) Major parties shall be able to specifiy preferences as per section 4. In the event that no preference is stated for the runoff election then their preferences for the election causing the runoff shall be used.

DRAFT

Section 7. NOTA elections.
   (a) Candidates who were on the ballot for an office in an election that triggers a new election for that office under section 5 of the Unified Electoral Code Act may not declare their intent to run for that office in the new election. This prohibition does not apply to any other office or election.
   (b) Candidates who were on the ballot for an office in an election that triggers a new election for that office under section 5 of the Unified Electoral Code Act shall be considered as having declared their intent to accept that office unless they declare otherwise.
   (c) Candidates who had write-in votes counted for an office in an election that triggers a new election for that office under section 5 of the Unified Electoral Code Act shall be considered as having declared their intent to run unless they declare otherwise.
   (d) Any eligible person shall have until 48 hours before such an election to declare thier intent to run or to accept office, save those barred from declaring their intent to run under subsection (a).
   (e) Major parties shall be able to specifiy preferences as per section 4.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »

(a) The Department of Forum Affairs shall open a thread in the Atlas Fantasy Government board for handling all declarations by candidates and parties concerning the election. The thread shall remain open until the end of the election including any runoff election resulting from the election.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this would require that all candidacy declarations must be made in the candidacy declaration thread would it not?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2006, 07:15:48 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but this would require that all candidacy declarations must be made in the candidacy declaration thread would it not?

Yes, altho if I spot them elsewhere, I'll give a gentle nudge in the right direction.  I don't read every post in every thread, so this is intended more so that candidates can be assured that I will notice their declaration.   In the absence of any legislation to the contrary, I'd say that having such a requirement to appear on the ballot certainly falls within the carried over provision of Article VIII Section 2 Clause 2 placing election administration in the Department's hands.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2006, 08:17:12 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2006, 08:50:34 PM by AFCJ TCash »

OK, what's going on with the party recommendation thing in the special election booth? I totally missed discussion of this change, but why is it OK for a party to have its recommendation in a thread, yet an individual's ballot would be invalidated for "campaigning in the booth?"

EDIT: OK, sorry, I see the announcement and Article V, sec. 1, clause 8. I missed it. Still looking for appropriate Senate legislation...
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2006, 09:55:05 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2006, 10:18:21 PM by SoFA Ernest »

Article VIII Section 2 Clause 2 of the Constitution gives the SoFA extremely broad latitude on how to conduct elections except where the Senate lays down the law.

This is reinforced by Section 7 Clause 2 of the United Electoral Code which states: "The administrator of a voting booth shall be free to design the ballot as he or she sees fit, as long as the content of the ballot is clear and unambiguous."

In short, I feel allowing a major party to list its preferences on the ballot and to allow people to vote using the shorthand of a party line is within my discretion.  Not only that, but I think and hope it will strengthen our currently anemic parties.

I hadn't considered the campaigning aspect, so I double checked the relevant law.  Having this single candidate special election is proving a useful dry run to work out any problems.

I've modified the text in the ballot thread to avoid any potential problems with Section 1 of UECA by making it clear that using the party-line vote option is a way of specifying a list of preferences.

It basically comes down to how narrowly or broadly campaigning is to be construed.  I do not consider what I am doing as falling within the bounds of campaigning that would be prohibited by the first sentence of Article V Section 1 Clause 3.  If it were, it would mean that every single ballot cast would be campaigning, since the information provided is nothing except lists of preferences without any electioneering as to why that list should be favored.  If campaigning be construed that broadly, then constitutionally we would have to go to a secret ballot, since every open ballot would be campaigning.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #155 on: March 30, 2006, 12:22:26 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2006, 12:27:03 AM by SoFA Ernest »

Voter rolls have been updated and uploaded!

Open Document Format (70KiB)

PDF Format (168KiB)

Excel Format (221KiB)

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #156 on: April 10, 2006, 05:34:16 PM »

Voter rolls have been updated and uploaded again!
Barring a registration happening in the next 27 minutes this is the voter roll that will be used for the Senate elections.

Open Document Format (73KiB)

PDF Format (166KiB)

Excel Format (221KiB)
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2006, 04:07:24 PM »

Could you explain the Senate ballot?
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2006, 05:58:45 PM »

May a person select "none of the above" parties in addition to choosing a Senate candidate, or does "none of the above" under "party" indicate that one wishes to vote for no candidate?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2006, 06:28:14 PM »

Can we just use a normal ballot?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2006, 09:32:19 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2006, 10:55:01 PM by SoFA Ernest »

You can vote either normally or with the party vote system.  If you do both, then the normal vote is the one that counts.  None of the Above underthe  party vote is a way to indicate that you wish to use that option for all the races you can vote in.  Granted, you'll only have one vote you can make in this election, but in two months there'll be two and perhaps someday we'll make some or all of the cabinet be elected posts.

Or rather you could have had the party vote system not been invalidated by the court.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2006, 07:17:36 PM »

The vote of True Democrat in the Senate Election

Here's my vote again:

District 5
1. Mr. Hobbes
2.Gabu

This was a tough choice, and I like Gabu, but I just think we should give someone else a chance.

has been invalidated for campaigning since he is explaining why he voted.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2006, 07:20:04 PM »

Here's my vote again:

District 5
1. Mr. Hobbes
2.Gabu

This was a tough choice, and I like Gabu, but I just think we should give someone else a chance.

Come on.  You want to talk about making the rules easier, this is not really campaigning.  I will be bringing this up in court when the election is over.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #163 on: April 22, 2006, 08:46:35 AM »

The vote of Brandon H

D4

1. WI: Mike Hawk
2. WI: Dave Naso
3. Dave Hawk
4. Mike Naso
5. All of the Above
6. Does it matter at this point?
7. Chuck Norris
8. Chuck Norris's Total Gym

would be invalidated for comedy, except there isn't any. Wink
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2006, 08:52:07 AM »

The vote of Brandon H

D4

1. WI: Mike Hawk
2. WI: Dave Naso
3. Dave Hawk
4. Mike Naso
5. All of the Above
6. Does it matter at this point?
7. Chuck Norris
8. Chuck Norris's Total Gym

would be invalidated for comedy, except there isn't any. Wink

Is it valid?

Dave 'Hawk'
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2006, 06:29:20 PM »

It's valid, altho most of the entries will ignored as they don't refer to registered voters residing in District 4.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #166 on: April 22, 2006, 06:35:55 PM »

The vote of OWL in the Senate Election

District 3
For the record:
1. PBrunsel
2. ILV

has been invalidated for failure to meet the activity requirements.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2006, 06:19:52 AM »

The vote of OWL in the Senate Election

District 3
For the record:
1. PBrunsel
2. ILV

has been invalidated for failure to meet the activity requirements.

Given that this will have a knock-on effect as to the eligibility of OWL's Midwest vote, may I ask the SoFA for more detail on the reason for this invalidation please?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2006, 06:35:18 AM »

Given that this will have a knock-on effect as to the eligibility of OWL's Midwest vote, may I ask the SoFA for more detail on the reason for this invalidation please?

Current regulations require all voters to have made at least 25 posts in the 56 days before the election weekend.  OWL made a total of 7 during this time period.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2006, 06:44:53 AM »

Current regulations require all voters to have made at least 25 posts in the 56 days before the election weekend.  OWL made a total of 7 during this time period.

Thanks.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #170 on: April 23, 2006, 08:07:37 AM »

I thank the Chair of the Senate Forum Affairs Committee for his timely constituent service. Wink
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #171 on: April 23, 2006, 10:12:45 PM »

The following voters with new registrations have been deregistered for failure to vote in the first Federal election that they were eligible to vote in:

Sara
Reagan Raider
Matthews
Foley
Andrew (not Andrew Berger)

The following voters with old registrations have been deregistered for failure to vote in any Federal election in the past four months.

Samstrom
Max Power
KucinichforPrez
King
Danwxman

All voters who wish to continue participating in Atlasian politics are free to reregister as a new voter if they wish.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #172 on: April 23, 2006, 10:52:04 PM »

For the run off elections, will there be party endorsements on the official ballot? Will the ones from the previous ballot automatically carry over? If a party missed the deadline for this weekend's election may they resubmit for the special?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2006, 11:09:30 PM »

I've decided to suspend placing party endorsements on the ballot.  The main reason I was interested in them was the party vote option, and without that, I'm not certain that it's worth putting either me or the parties thru the extra hoops involved.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2006, 01:24:07 AM »

Here's my vote again:

District 5
1. Mr. Hobbes
2.Gabu

No, he wasn't "campaigning"! What a dumb way to disenfranchise voters.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies