ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:07:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41
Author Topic: ME Sen I can't really be Collins it yet  (Read 75967 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »

Collins will not lose reelection.

She will be the lone New England Republican.

She will retire in 2026.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2019, 01:42:07 PM »

Collins will not lose reelection.

She will be the lone New England Republican.

She will retire in 2026.

Golden is DOA in 2020, as Trump and Collins will win ME-02 by double digits
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 02:15:58 PM »

ME Dems have a bunch of A Tier Candidates, Jackson, Sweet, Golden, and Schumer should recruit one of them.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »

ME Dems have a bunch of A Tier Candidates, Jackson, Sweet, Golden, and Schumer should recruit one of them.

Collins is going to win at least 60-40. It doesn't really matter who the Democrats nominate.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 02:22:25 PM »

Collins is going to win at least 60-40. It doesn't really matter who the Democrats nominate.
Stop
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2019, 03:18:11 PM »

Now we're screwed. Jared Golden will never win re-election and he is making the biggest mistake of his life. He ran one of the best campaigns I've ever seen against an unpopular GOP incumbent and barely won because of Ranked choice voting! And when the overwhelming majority of democrats are backing SLAVE REPARATIONS, I fail to see how on earth Golden wins. Golden would have definitely been a strong candidate for senate.  I would be sick if Golden LOST re-election AND we didn't beat Collins
Here's hoping whoever the dem nominee is can max out ME-01, because ME-02's going to keep getting redder.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 04:36:17 PM »

Now we're screwed. Jared Golden will never win re-election and he is making the biggest mistake of his life. He ran one of the best campaigns I've ever seen against an unpopular GOP incumbent and barely won because of Ranked choice voting! And when the overwhelming majority of democrats are backing SLAVE REPARATIONS, I fail to see how on earth Golden wins. Golden would have definitely been a strong candidate for senate.  I would be sick if Golden LOST re-election AND we didn't beat Collins
Here's hoping whoever the dem nominee is can max out ME-01, because ME-02's going to keep getting redder.

Can’t tell if being serious, but chill, we have people just as good as Golden that can run.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »

I was under the assumption that Golden was never really going to run in the first place. Its ME guys, its not some impossible mission where the Democrats need some top tier candidate. You just need some typical mudslinging.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2019, 04:39:13 PM »

I was under the assumption that Golden was never really going to run in the first place. Its ME guys, its not some impossible mission where the Democrats need some top tier candidate. You just need some typical mudslinging.

lol D's absolutely do need a top tier candidate for Maine. It isn't some deep blue state anymore and Collins still maintains a decent amount of her crossover appeal.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2019, 05:18:39 PM »

Collins running up the score in ME, isn't gonna do much for Trump, and the GOP candidate in ME-02, she is a maverick and ME voters have voted for Obama and Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, and they are such voters.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2019, 05:43:46 PM »

Collins running up the score in ME, isn't gonna do much for Trump, and the GOP candidate in ME-02, she is a maverick and ME voters have voted for Obama and Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe, and they are such voters.

Coveted Stephen Kings endorsement has not yet been dispersed. Horror man King has frequently stayed invisible like ghosts in books he writes about from Main political scene and like election of new Pope....we must wait for smoke to bellow from his chimney in gamechanger that would be his endorsement reveal. We must practice patience or suffer breakfast of egg on face day after election day
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2019, 06:21:59 AM »

Good move by Golden. He ran in 2016 embracing Susan Collins so he'd look really stupid attacking her if he ran for Senate. I think it's a good strategy just to embrace the bipartisan cred and try to hold onto ME02. If he loses, so what. He can always run for something else.

And it's not like we don't have another great prospect from ME02 to challenge Collins. Maine Democrats will probably be stupid and nominate Gideon though.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2019, 02:30:38 PM »

Dems know that if: 2020 isn't a Senate wave year, 2022, is their year, and once the trifecta happens, they can vote without the a GOP filibuster for 2 additional senators in PR and/or DC statehood status. That was blocked inn 2009, by a GOP filibuster.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2019, 06:38:06 PM »

I am going to be keeping this race at Likely D until and unless we start seeing Collins + 30 polls. All the people who are calling Susan Collins invincible or otherwise favored are generally also people who said the same about David Valadao in 2018. People should have learned something from David Valadaos "surprise" loss in 2018 that I correctly predicted that they seem to not have learned. Not a single seat where Clinton won by 4 points or more in 2016 remained Republican in 2018, and all but 3 of them that Clinton won by any margin also flipped as well, even as pundits like Sabato were predicting a total of more than double that. The Senate only had a sample size of 1 race where Republicans were defending a Clinton state, Nevada, and Jacky Rosen won by more than Clinton did there; the main reason for using House races here is because we get a sample size of 25 seats by doing so which gives us information to work with, but its really not that different. While Clinton won Maine by just under 3 points, its still in the range where Democrats won almost everything, and the 2020 Democratic nominee for President will inevitably win Maine by far more than 3 points.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2019, 11:46:39 AM »

You win by painting Collins as a career politician and a Washington insider, there's clips of her promising to run for two terms and supporting term limits . You do this by running someone like Gideon whose only been in politics for a short time and has never been in Washington.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2019, 01:11:08 PM »

https://news.bloombergenvironment.com/environment-and-energy/maines-pingree-wants-fellow-farmers-to-lead-climate-discussion

Representative Chellie Pingree(D-ME01) and her daughter, Hannah Pingree, will not challenge Susan Collins.

Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2019, 01:32:33 PM »

You win by painting Collins as a career politician and a Washington insider, there's clips of her promising to run for two terms and supporting term limits . You do this by running someone like Gideon whose only been in politics for a short time and has never been in Washington.

I agree with the first part of this post, but I really don't think Gideon would be the most electable candidate to take down Collins. She represents a State House district in coastal Maine that is far to the left of the state, and I doubt she would be able to overcome Collins' advantage in Northern Maine. Someone from the ME-02 area would be more ideal.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2019, 01:42:14 PM »

I agree with the first part of this. Democrats need to be aggressive in attacking Collins as a D.C. swamp creature.

Interestingly enough, Gideon has been to D.C. though not as a politician. She went to George Washington University. I don't think going to a private university in D.C. and working for USA Today plays as well in Maine compared to a Troy Jackson who is a logger and went to the University of Maine Fort Kent.

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2019, 02:20:35 PM »

I agree with the first part of this. Democrats need to be aggressive in attacking Collins as a D.C. swamp creature.

Interestingly enough, Gideon has been to D.C. though not as a politician. She went to George Washington University. I don't think going to a private university in D.C. and working for USA Today plays as well in Maine compared to a Troy Jackson who is a logger and went to the University of Maine Fort Kent.

I'm not all that confident in Jackson considering he lost to Emily Cain of all people and he's a Berniecrat and they don't exactly have a strong record of winning competitive races lately. Gideon being a women can also make a stronger case on Collins betrayal on abortion.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2019, 03:37:05 PM »

Collins is probably gonna win, Dems need Bullock to run against Daines. Due to fact Daines is vulnerable. And get Biden to pick Tim Ryan as his running mate. To take Bullock out of the presidential race.
GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2019, 06:48:42 PM »

I'm not all that confident in Jackson considering he lost to Emily Cain of all people and he's a Berniecrat and they don't exactly have a strong record of winning competitive races lately. Gideon being a women can also make a stronger case on Collins betrayal on abortion.

That was in 2014 and Cain had the support of Emily's List and LCV behind her. Since then, Jackson's profile has been raised since he has been the Senate Minority Leader and the Senate President. If electability is your concern, Jackson wins in a Trump district (even though he's progressive) while Gideon wins in a reliably blue area. I don't think it's the best idea to run Berniecrats everywhere, but Bernie is popular here in Maine. He won our caucuses almost 2 to 1 in 2016. Jared Golden is part of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and supports Medicare for All yet he won the conservative second district. Given the state's independent nature, voters care more if a candidate appears down-to-earth and understands their needs and daily way of life. General election voters who aren't from Portland would be more likely to see a Maine-educated logger who entered politics because of a logging blockade as "one of them". They would be less likely to see a DC-educated advertising account executive as one of them. It really is that simple.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f4eda1_fdf61ff89a944d47830f8d36f2fac763.pdf

Critical Insights has Collins approval at 41%, disapproval at 42%
decunningham2
Rookie
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2019, 09:23:01 PM »

Critical Insights has Collins approval at 41%, disapproval at 42%

That poll is complete garbage. It has her approval with Republicans at under 50%. This firm also had a poll last year with Angus King at only 41%.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2019, 08:26:39 AM »

Betsy Sweet (D) is running

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/06/13/betsy-sweet-announces-election-challenge-to-collins-in-2020/
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2019, 01:33:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies