North Korea test fires new tactical guided weapon (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 11:00:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  North Korea test fires new tactical guided weapon (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Korea test fires new tactical guided weapon  (Read 678 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: April 17, 2019, 05:13:32 PM »

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un oversaw the testing of a new type of tactical guided weapon on Wednesday, state media Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said on Thursday.

It is North Korea’s first public weapons test since the second U.S.-North Korea summit in Hanoi ended with no agreement in February.
Kim said “the completion of the development of the weapon system serves as an event of very weighty significance in increasing the combat power” of the North Korean army, according to KCNA.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-weapon/north-korean-leader-kim-jong-un-oversees-test-of-new-tactical-guided-weapon-kcna-idUSKCN1RT2KY
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 07:45:03 PM »

I don't care that you don't care.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:54:50 PM »

At this point, what does it matter? We all NK is always going to develop missiles, nukes, and other weapons. As long as they don't sell to terrorists, and if the country collapses someone responsible can swoop-in to prevent them from getting into the wrong hands, what concern is it of the US? Perhaps NK's militarization is the only thing that has prevented a very bloody war from erupting there over the last 15-20 years. Perhaps my disgust at the state of both US and world politics has just eaten away at me over the last few years. I don't know. I don't feel the energy or the reason to be outraged over this right now.

Why is it important to you?

Because the country is ruled by a bloodthirsty and inhumane despot.  The more weapons they have, the more they become a potential danger to the countries around them and a destabilizing influence to the rest of the world.  And the more it solidifies the NK government's security, the more it ensures that their own people will continue to suffer.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »

At this point, what does it matter? We all NK is always going to develop missiles, nukes, and other weapons. As long as they don't sell to terrorists, and if the country collapses someone responsible can swoop-in to prevent them from getting into the wrong hands, what concern is it of the US? Perhaps NK's militarization is the only thing that has prevented a very bloody war from erupting there over the last 15-20 years. Perhaps my disgust at the state of both US and world politics has just eaten away at me over the last few years. I don't know. I don't feel the energy or the reason to be outraged over this right now.

Why is it important to you?

Because the country is ruled by a bloodthirsty and inhumane despot.  The more weapons they have, the more they become a potential danger to the countries around them and a destabilizing influence to the rest of the world.  And the more it solidifies the NK government's security, the more it ensures that their own people will continue to suffer.
Yes, NK is probably in the "worst 5" countries list, possibly #1.

But do we think they'll act irrationally when they're surrounded by nuclear powers (and South Korea/Japan, which are very close allies of the US, with the US storing its nukes there)?

I don't want their government to be secure, I want them to change for the better, but would a total collapse of their government be in anyone's interest? They've already gotten to a certain point in militarization, and they're never going to take any meaningful steps backwards.

What do you think US policy towards North Korea should be?

That's the thing -- I don't have a huge amount of confidence that they'll act rationally.  If I did, I'd worry less about them.  It's possible that I may be underestimating their rationality.

The last question is a fair one and I don't have a specific answer.  I think an effective and long-lasting solution must involve all of China, Russia, and the U.S. acting together to provide a combination of pressure and incentives for NK to reduce their military threat and improve their human rights situation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies