where should alcohol be allowed to be sold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:39:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  where should alcohol be allowed to be sold
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: where should alcohol be allowed to be sold
any place

any place zoned to sell things

grocery stores

gas stations

in state owned/ran stores

alcohol specific stores

it shouldN'T be legal to sell anywhere

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: where should alcohol be allowed to be sold  (Read 1455 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2019, 09:30:34 AM »

go
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:37:59 AM »

Not state run stores. My provincial government has a near-monopoly on retail sales of liquor and cannabis. I don't have any experience with the cannabis stores, but our liquor stores suck compared to the States and the parts of Canada that let the private market sell booze.

Prices are high, selection is poor, and it's near impossible to get craft beer from outside my region.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »

Not all alcohol is the same. Beer, wine, and other simply fermented drinks commonly served with food should be available wherever food is sold. Distilled beverages should be more restricted.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »

As with alcohol cannabis, I believe it should be sold in general retail along with pot shops where proper regulations apply.

For the same reasons as DC, I don't like state-run stores.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 06:01:37 AM »

Not state run stores. My provincial government has a near-monopoly on retail sales of liquor and cannabis. I don't have any experience with the cannabis stores, but our liquor stores suck compared to the States and the parts of Canada that let the private market sell booze.

Prices are high, selection is poor, and it's near impossible to get craft beer from outside my region.
it was actually an article on possible law changes in Ontario that spawned the idea for these threads.  It's crazy how conservative some "left" leaning places (and people) are with certain issues.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »

Liquor in alcohol specific stores, beer and wine allowed in gas stations/grocery stores
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »

I understand conceptually keeping spirits and liquor distinct, but it doesn't really make sense to tell people they can't buy $5 vodka at the same place they can buy a case of Natty Ice.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 01:44:56 PM »

I understand conceptually keeping spirits and liquor distinct, but it doesn't really make sense to tell people they can't buy $5 vodka at the same place they can buy a case of Natty Ice.

Sure it does.  It has nothing to do with the price.  Taaka vodka is 40% ABV whereas most light beers are less than 5%.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 02:03:49 PM »

Sure it does.  It has nothing to do with the price.  Taaka vodka is 40% ABV whereas most light beers are less than 5%.

I'm just not sure what your angle is. Malt liquor and bum wine have worse reputations than hard liquor because they're just as cheap to get drunk off of, and they're a lot easier to drink.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 04:35:09 PM »

I'm just not sure what your angle is. Malt liquor and bum wine have worse reputations than hard liquor because they're just as cheap to get drunk off of, and they're a lot easier to drink.

My angle is that spirits and liquor with higher alcohol contents should be more controlled than beverages with lower alcohol contents.  Malt liquor is beer Huh
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 07:29:12 PM »

My angle is that spirits and liquor with higher alcohol contents should be more controlled than beverages with lower alcohol contents.  Malt liquor is beer Huh

And while that’s a distinction that “feels” right, history shows that malt liquor and sweetened fortified wine can be just as dangerous to public and private health as hard liquor. So you’re inconveniencing people without having a solid reason to do so.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 09:01:40 PM »

Any place, every day of the week.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 01:20:24 AM »

The practice of selling alcohol in gas stations has always concerned me a little bit since people in gas stations are, almost by definition, driving someplace. I don't see any compelling reason to restrict alcohol sales in grocery stores.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 01:29:35 AM »

The practice of selling alcohol in gas stations has always concerned me a little bit since people in gas stations are, almost by definition, driving someplace. I don't see any compelling reason to restrict alcohol sales in grocery stores.

Not really sure how that applies specifically to gas stations and not all vendors accessible only by car. Your Massachusetts is showing.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 01:47:33 PM »

My only issue with Iowa/Missouri law, where you can buy any type of alcohol basically everywhere, including Target*, is they don't have many dedicated liquor stores and thus less variety and unique brands, etc. Minneapolis dedicated liquor stores are awesome.

However liquor stores should be able to open anywhere.

*In an aisle in the main store, not an attached but separate enclosed liquor store like some in Minnesota.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 01:53:27 PM »

it was actually an article on possible law changes in Ontario that spawned the idea for these threads.  It's crazy how conservative some "left" leaning places (and people) are with certain issues.

LMAO, the current provincial government of Ontario is very VERY far from "left".
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 07:21:55 PM »

LMAO, the current provincial government of Ontario is very VERY far from "left".

Yes and that government is liberalizing the laws

Sometime in the 1980's it flipped. Liquor restrictions are more of a Liberal-NDP thing now.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 08:19:44 AM »

Pretty much this (omg I agree with Yellowhammer), as long as they ID properly. I don't get the need to forcibly separate certain products, and alcohol on Sunday laws need to die in a fire.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 09:05:40 AM »

Any place zoned to sell things, including gas stations, grocery stores, and alcohol specific stores.
HarrisonL

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2019, 08:45:09 AM »

Tfw two people support prohibition of alcohol sales in 2019.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »

Option 1
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 03:51:45 PM »

Pretty much this (omg I agree with Yellowhammer), as long as they ID properly. I don't get the need to forcibly separate certain products, and alcohol on Sunday laws need to die in a fire.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2019, 04:04:55 PM »

On a slight aside, it's kind of funny how the only people who constantly trash alcohol are either puritan weirdos (who need to re-read the Bible) and loser stoners who think pointing out how *terrible* alcohol is will somehow endear people to the idea of legalizing weed (who need to realize who their potential allies are and not plss them off).  Strange bedfellows, indeed!

The simple fact is alcohol is a part of Western culture and likely always will be.  Leave it that way.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 02:13:09 AM »

loser stoners who think pointing out how *terrible* alcohol is will somehow endear people to the idea of legalizing weed (who need to realize who their potential allies are and not plss them off).  Strange bedfellows, indeed!

The simple fact is alcohol is a part of Western culture and likely always will be.  Leave it that way.
I'll never understand why vice-defenders always say "what about that other vice" instead of joining forces.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »

Any place zoned to sell things, including gas stations, grocery stores, and alcohol specific stores.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies