Hundreds Killed Hundreds Hurt In Many Hits On Hotels & Churches Across Sri Lanka
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:01:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hundreds Killed Hundreds Hurt In Many Hits On Hotels & Churches Across Sri Lanka
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hundreds Killed Hundreds Hurt In Many Hits On Hotels & Churches Across Sri Lanka  (Read 1541 times)
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2019, 12:44:14 AM »
« edited: April 21, 2019, 01:28:24 PM by Prolocutor Bagel23 »

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/blasts-at-two-sri-lanka-churches-during-easter-mass-news-agency-afp-2026233

https://www.indiatoday.in/world/story/sri-lanka-colombo-blasts-1506589-2019-04-21

https://www.dawn.com/news/1477527/death-toll-from-easter-sunday-blasts-in-sri-lanka-rises-to-207-450-injured

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/21/asia/sri-lanka-explosions/index.html

Very awful, especially on Easter Sunday, early story, not a lot of info available yet, most likely a highly coordinated attack though. Shame on whoever did this, hopefully they are nabbed fast. Let's all wish that the numbers of those who are hurt or dead do not climb.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 04:53:44 AM »

138 dead and climbing.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-21/sri-lanka-church-hotel-bombed-explosions-colombo/11034476

"More than 50 people were killed in St Sebastian's gothic-style Catholic church in Katuwapitiya"
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 06:29:16 AM »

But, but ... white extremist terrorism ... Roll Eyes

Once again it is made clear what the real elephant in the room is: Muslim extremist terrorism !
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 06:38:01 AM »

Once again it is made clear what the real elephant in the room is: Muslim extremist terrorism !
I thought these were dirty commies?....<looks it up>....oh.....well, yeah, I guess that it does seem to be Muslims.  That would explain why the press isn't talking too much about the attackers.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 06:48:20 AM »

In this Case it might actually be buddhist terrorism. I doubt it, because some of the targets were western tourists, but in Sri Lanka the Main group targeting the christian minorities has been the buddhist majority and not the muslim minority.

Extremely unlikely.

I have never heard about Buddhist or Hindu suicide bombers targeting Christians and tourists in Sri Lanka ...

If this is the case though, I will correct my original posting though.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 06:50:07 AM »

It seems that at least 7 suspects have been arrested. According to Sri Lanka government, the attacks were carried out by one group.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 07:30:50 AM »

Dutch news says National Thowheeth Jama’ath (NTJ), an extremist Islamist group has been identified as the perpetrators.

https://tpo.nl/2019/04/21/radicale-moslims-national-thowheeth-jamaath-verantwoordelijk-voor-aanslagen-sri-lanka

Meanwhile, 200-250 people are dead already (4-5x the amount of the NZ attack).

Among them many Dutch and British tourists.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 07:44:21 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2019, 08:05:11 AM by True Federalist »

Buddhists have in the recent past targeted non-Buddhists in Sri Lanka, albeit previously Muslims were their primary target, so until we have actual knowledge of who did it, assuming that a Muslim group definitely did it is premature. Moreover, given the nature of Sri Lankan politics, I think it is safe to assume that as soon as any evidence that a non-local group was responsible becomes known to the authorities, it will be released, and so far the only thing I see allocating responsibility are European websites based on ten-day old rumors. I'll wait until there are actual facts instead of rumors to allocate blame for these attacks.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 01:27:29 PM »

It probably was a radical Islamist group, but it’s their own acts.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »

It’s just someone who did something Roll Eyes
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 02:06:04 PM »

I have bad feelings about this thread.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »

Indeed, it reeks of Islamophobia.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2019, 02:31:19 PM by PSOL »

Sickening what’s happened here. I hope that Sri Lankan authorities can catch the perpetrators immediately. So far, Sri Lanka has made a good choice pulling the plug on social media for the facts to come through.

Also, the Muslim Council of Sri Lanka’s response:
The Muslim council of Sri Lanka issued a statement condemning the attack on the places of worship of “our Christian brothers and sisters on their holy day of Easter, as well as on the hotels in Colombo”. “We mourn the loss of innocent lives due to extremist and violent elements who wish to create divides between religious and ethnic groups to realise their agenda,” the statement said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/21/sri-lanka-attacks-death-toll-expected-rise-leaders-condemn-killings

If the attackers were homegrown, I have no doubt they came from a Wahhabi/Salafi Mosque funded by Gulfie donors. Sri Lanka sadly still has vast inter-communal, ethnoreligious tensions suitable for the spread of that horrible sect. In that case, shut down the financial streams from the Gulf once and for all.

From my friend who lives there, she said that historically the Muslim population has been very secular. Recent times have changed this with all the gulfie donors, but still, this is the first attack of its kind.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 02:33:49 PM »

Sickening what’s happened here. I hope that Sri Lankan authorities can catch the perpetrators immediately. So far, Sri Lanka has made a good choice pulling the plug on social media for the facts to come through.

The Muslim council of Sri Lanka issued a statement condemning the attack on the places of worship of “our Christian brothers and sisters on their holy day of Easter, as well as on the hotels in Colombo”. “We mourn the loss of innocent lives due to extremist and violent elements who wish to create divides between religious and ethnic groups to realise their agenda,” the statement said.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/21/sri-lanka-attacks-death-toll-expected-rise-leaders-condemn-killings

If the attackers were homegrown, I have no doubt they came from a Wahhabi/Salafi Mosque funded by Gulfie donors. Sri Lanka sadly still has vast inter-communal, ethnoreligious tensions suitable for the spread of that horrible sect. In that case, shut down the financial streams from the Gulf once and for all.

From my friend who lives there, she said that historically the Muslim population has been very secular. Recent times have changed this with all the gulfie donors, but still, this is the first attack of its kind.
The suspects are believed to be foreigners. As I’ve said before, it isn’t Islam which is the problem. After all we don’t see many Indonesian Muslim immigrants launching car/knife attacks in Europe or Manhattan. The problem is Islam as it’s practiced by Arabs in particular.

I’m sure the suspects will be Pakistani/Afghan in origin.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 06:44:48 PM »

Yeah, Muslims are the real victims here.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 06:56:16 PM »

I mean, when you have people in this thread literally trying to blame Bagel for the attacks, does that not signal that there's a bit of an overreaction going on?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »

I mean, when you have people in this thread literally trying to blame Bagel for the attacks, does that not signal that there's a bit of an overreaction going on?
I must have missed that.  Were things removed?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2019, 07:11:02 PM »

I must have missed that.  Were things removed?

Eh, Bagel's initial post essentially boils down to "not all of us should be blamed for this", and Sanchez' reply to "yes you should".
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2019, 07:14:50 PM »

The suspects are believed to be foreigners. As I’ve said before, it isn’t Islam which is the problem. After all we don’t see many Indonesian Muslim immigrants launching car/knife attacks in Europe or Manhattan. The problem is Islam as it’s practiced by Arabs in particular.

Pakistanis and Afghans are generally...not Arabs?

Also, while I do see your theory here, it doesn't really apply to those in western countries radicalized remotely (often through the internet). That, of course, is an entirely different beast and can seemingly strike the same people as any other cultish fringe group.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 07:48:04 PM »

Also, while I do see your theory here, it doesn't really apply to those in western countries radicalized remotely (often through the internet). That, of course, is an entirely different beast and can seemingly strike the same people as any other cultish fringe group.

The terror attacks in the west by X+1 immigrants are due to alienation and ongoing, one-sided hostility being everywhere. That is enough to drive a lot of people insane. The general rule is that alienation from society at large, rigidness in thought, and a decreasing returns of gains in the global economy spells a worldwide disaster that just feeds into itself.

Want to stop instability, ensure people are letting themselves live equally in a society that permeates and solves problems effectively.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 08:11:48 PM »

I didn’t blame Bagel for nothing, I just attacked his dismissive attitude with a literal Ilhan Omar quote.

Maybe I should have posted: IT’S NOT ABOUT YOU.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 08:13:07 PM »

The terror attacks in the west by X+1 immigrants are due to alienation and ongoing, one-sided hostility being everywhere. That is enough to drive a lot of people insane. The general rule is that alienation from society at large, rigidness in thought, and a decreasing returns of gains in the global economy spells a worldwide disaster that just feeds into itself.

Want to stop instability, ensure people are letting themselves live equally in a society that permeates and solves problems effectively.

It's not just immigrant children, people of Arab descent, or even people who were Muslim before radicalization though.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »

I didn’t blame Bagel for nothing, I just attacked his dismissive attitude with a literal Ilhan Omar quote.

Maybe I should have posted: IT’S NOT ABOUT YOU.

Yeah, on a second read, my initial assumption doesn't really make sense. I still think you're being unnecessarily harsh on the guy, but I'll retract my previous statements on this.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 08:22:00 PM »

It does, though.

In Vero Beach, FL, a hotbed of MAGA country on Florida’s east coast, there was a mosque that produced two separate terrorists. One killed himself in Syria in a suicide attack against pro-regime forces. He was the son of Palestinians. Likewise, Omar Mateen - who of course slaughtered fifty people in a bar the very night after my best friend was there, was the son of an Afghan refuge who previously ran for President of Afghanistan on a pro Taliban platform. Both came out of the same mosque. There’s way more to this then just a few really well put together ISIS videos on Twitter.

You’re right that Afghanistan and Pakistan are not “Arab” ethnically, but the same culture pervades the region in a way that isn’t true of, say, Malaysian or Indonesian Muslims....though recent events in Brunei have me revisiting the region’s culture and geopolitical realities, so who knows?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 09:00:44 PM »

Only thing I was attempting to dismiss is any notion that this is the fault of Islam at large. I apologize if it was taken another way.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies