David Irving arrested (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:05:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  David Irving arrested (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: David Irving arrested  (Read 2343 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« on: November 17, 2005, 02:29:14 PM »

Well, the whole crime and punishment issue obviously sticks out. Quite repelling thought to have a close ally with that kind of barbarism in place... you see there must be lots of good things about you too if we swallow that. Smiley

Punishment for crime is barbaric Huh
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 12:42:32 PM »

Wow. Let's denounce a Fascist by...behaving like Fascists and arresting him for what he THINKS...

And you guys on the other side of the Pond like to lecture us Americans about Free Speech.....hmmmm

The only countries that have anti-Holocaust-denial laws are those that were under Nazi control during WWII, and therefore were directly affected by the catastrophe.  So I think they have a pretty good excuse for arresting somebody trying to deliberately distort past events based on fabricated evidence, and also trying to claim legitimacy.

Suppressing the spread of antisemitic rhetoric in places such as Austria, given its past, is probably a good thing, wouldn't you say?

There are a lot of facist laws that people can justify by warning of various future negative consequences.  Implying that's MarkDel's position results in a replay of the holocaust is a pretty cheap debate tactic.  This Austrian law is thought control, plain and simple.

American history has some similarities to te holocaust.  For example, would you back a law that jails anyone who denies our mistreatment of Native Americans?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 06:15:59 PM »

The laws in Germany and Austria exist because there's still a lot of pain over what happened in the Holocaust. Americans and German-speaking nations simply tend to have a different attitude over this due to their differing cultural experiences, and I really don't think it would be wise to turn this into a debate where basically each side wants the other to be just like them.

Yes, God forbid we demand that the Europeans allow dissenting views.  You're experiences justify your injustice?  What are you over there, a bunch of 14 year old girls crying yourself to sleep at night because you had a bad dream about Nazis?  Please.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 06:38:33 PM »

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it."

-Thomas Jefferson
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 10:11:08 PM »

The laws in Germany and Austria exist because there's still a lot of pain over what happened in the Holocaust. Americans and German-speaking nations simply tend to have a different attitude over this due to their differing cultural experiences, and I really don't think it would be wise to turn this into a debate where basically each side wants the other to be just like them.

Yes, God forbid we demand that the Europeans allow dissenting views. You're experiences justify your injustice?  What are you over there, a bunch of 14 year old girls crying yourself to sleep at night because you had a bad dream about Nazis?  Please.

Twisting words around? Check. Playground insults? Check. Describing the collective cultural experience of the holocaust as a "bad dream"? Check.

You truly are a detestable human being.

On a sidenote, I never said I agreed with the ban on holocaust denial, I simply stated why I understand it exists in specific countries. It's called objectivity. Look it up, you parochial halfwit.

I didn't twist words, but I did use a playground insult.  You had it coming.

If you're playing Devil's advocate, it is customary to say you're playing Devil's advocate.  nd you didn't say "The argument for the existence of these laws is" or "Some say the laws are needed because", what you said was "The reason the laws exist".  You can back off this position and retreat, but you staked it out pretty clearly before the tide turned against you.

I did not describe the holocaust as a bad dream, what I was referring to is your insinuation that somehow not having laws against holocaust denial would result in a future holocaust.  This was an idiotic suggestion from an idiotic poster and it richly deserved to be ridiculed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies